Cyberpunk Campaign 80s anime Style

So after spending the last 3 years drowning in Pathfinder, D&D, and Runequest campaigns I have finally been able to convince my group to let me do a non-fantasy setting.

I really would like to run a cyberpunk campaign in the vein of 80s mecha anime. Bubblegum Crisis, AD Police, Old Ghost In the Shell. Stuff like that.

I would like for the party to have to deal with battle suits, Combat androids with particle lasers, and Pop-Stars with combat mecha on missions of revenge. The whole glorious hair sprayed neon drenched synth rock shebang.

So I my main question is what's the best system to handle this? I have kind of ruled out Shadowrun because I don't want to deal with meta humans and magic. I know Bubblegum Crisis has it's own tabletop setting but I don't know how well it has aged. I'm largely unfamiliar with Cyberpunk but I am looking into it. Are there any other alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/m/thread/15249821/
youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU
youtu.be/PN_CP4SuoTU
youtu.be/bFUFD9eFqtw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If your looking for a pure Cyberpunk game you could try the system of the same name Cyberpunk 2020

And of course you could go with your General System of choice, which could be easier considering you seem to want to do some mixing and matching of genre

I don't have anything to add regarding systems discussions because the only sci-fi setting I have played is Traveler.

I do, however, have a shit ton of bubblegum crisis artwork.

Here, have some angry pirate-police lady, my user.

>pirate police
she arrests her self?

Since we are talking anime, yes, but only after an existential crisis.

Landmate incoming

Priss is best girl.

The Bubblegum Crisis RPG is literally Cyberpunk 2020.5. They were made by the same company, and the BGC rulebooks have conversion tables.

Well if that's the case then I will just roll with the BGC books.

So, on to plot hooks. I'm thinking for the intro I will have the party be hired to guard the concert for a pop star who is playing in town. When she gets kidnapped by a motorcycle gang they will have 2 days to get her back.

For a Cyberpunk vibe without the "cyber"
Watch Streets of Fire.
It DOES have Willem Dafoe having a duel (while wearing black rubber hip-waders ) a Mattock or pick-axe duel.
- and lots of exploding motorcycles.

That's the plot of Streets of Fire.
Including Rick Moranis as am agressive dick of a manager.

Bubblegum Crisis' ruleset is very solid and works very well with the setting. Might want to make the changes that came with the suggestions one of the designers made back in the 30th anniversary thread on /m/.

desuarchive.org/m/thread/15249821/

He's joking due to the fact she nearly lost an eye and had to wear an eyepatch for a book.

That's not how you spell Nene.

Which makes it perfect. Add a twist that the pop star is a boomer/robot and doesn't know it and bam; job's a good 'un.

Streets of Fire, Blade Runner, The Warriors and Robocop.

I don't want to be that "everything was better before I was born" guy, but 80s anime just have a really nice aesthetic. I like modern anime too of course, but it just feels so clean and airbrushed while 80s anime feels a lot more "raw". I have no idea what I'm talking about but I hope someone can translate my sentiments into something that makes sense.

lol! Its because (by neccesity) older anime were all hand drawn, while modern anime are made as cheaply as possible with a computer!

The aesthetic of something like Bubblegum Crisis has more detail because it's an OVA made in an economic boom, while modern anime is focused on decreasing production costs as much as possible since the industry is no longer as inundated in as much cash as they were in the 80s and 90s?

It's the move from hand drawn traditional animation format to the cheaper standardized digital animation format
It's why all modern anime looks roughly the same and 80's anime all feel different depending on the studio

Look at this video, it was made by one dude and despite being a little rough looks better than 98% of anime today
youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

I know EXACTLY what you mean. It was my first exposure to anime seeing ancient hacked up reruns in the pm, and it just seemed much more dark, wet, and realistic, just with a filter of sharp color. Really stuck with me visually.

>being born after the 80s

Yes friendo

youtu.be/PN_CP4SuoTU

Go to bed, Paul.

Do you need another player?

We played AD Police and had to protect a singing Idol, had to deal with a hijacked Media Blimp heading for the Budicon, and deal with Terrorists who had disguised combat Boomers as Mall Santas.

Streets of Fire also shows up (along with a SilverHawks pinball game in Megazone 23 and BGC's music is quite close to that of the movie. - oh and any Bonnie Tyler music video.

oh, and one of our officers (who looked like one of the your Under Arrest Characters had a twin sister who was an soft core "actress."
Our commanding officer specificity min -maxed so that she was an shootist who could blow a gnat off a person's nose with a revolver but had no social skills and would simply walk away in a rage if she had to deal with emotions, people or tasks like driving a car.
(picture a "less social " GitS Major with almost jinxed ability with any technology that wasn't weaponized)

I agree, but posting some actual 80s art would of helped your point.

Considering he shit-post on /v/ it's funny to think it just might be him.

I'd recommend Tokyo Nova because it sets out to recreate cyberpunk anime from the get go, and if you don't like magic elements, those can actively be ignored;it's more like Silent Mobius than Shadowrun, magic is not nearly as pervasive or known, so it's far more likely that it'll never come up. It's also a surprisingly solid ruleset for something based in part on SRS. The Arashi class even starts with A.D. Police style combat mecha. It uses playing and tarot cards rather than dice, which might be weird if you're hosting over the internet, but my dumb ass managed to run it just fine over Roll20, so you can probably can do it better. There's a mega with it in the 4plebs archives that you can easily find if you're not developmentally challenged.

I'd recommend it over something like Cyberpunk 2013/20/77 because, bless their souls, while R. Talsorian certainly loves the franchises they make games off of, their actual systems are either fundamentally broken without sufficient kitbashing and houseruling (Fucking Interlock) or scale poorly (Fuzion). Hell, Mekton, which is based off of the same Interlock system as Cyberpunk 2020 (and whose roadstriker rules are compatible with Cyberpunk 2020) actively scared off players do to the clumsiness of the ruleset. Something I haven't had happen with any other TTRPG I've hosted.

Cyberpunk 2020 or GURPS. No point trying to pretend anything else can handle this.

The Bubblegum Crisis game aged like milk. I mean CP2020 aged too, but not this bad.

ARTMIC were behind both productions.

In my opinion the best game for a 80s anime setting, would be Cyberpunk 2020. It's heavily influenced by A.D. Police/Bubble Gum Crisis (loss of humanity through cyberware, special anti-cyborg SWAT teams, large caliber SMGs...) and Appleseed (power armors).

Another game that would fit the 80s anime bill would be TriStat: Ex Machina. TriStat is the successor of BESM, the generic anime TTRPG. It's more generic and abstract than Cyberpunk 2020 as there is no background or equipment/cyberware catalogue, but it works. It also has one distinct advantage over Cyberpunk 2020 - it has a very decent netrunning system.

Akira

I'll have to look into it but I have no idea how my group would handle me throwing don tarrot cards.

2020 seems to have the consensus. I'm thinking I might run with that and use the BGC books for equipment ideas.

I'm thinking throw in some Jin-Roh. Government plot to bring down the AD Police. Just for the sewer fight with heavy machine guns.

Out of curiosity. Is there like an "idiots guide to cyberpunk 2020" out there? I'm going,to have to teach the system to my group and having some simple guides are always helpful.

Roll a d-10 and add the stat.

Determine TN (10 = simple, 15 = moderate, 20 = difficult, 25 = very difficult, 30+ = extreme).

Take skill level. Add corresponding stat. Add bonus, deduct penalties. Roll 1d10. Add everything up.

Compare to TN. If score equal or superior to TN = success. If lower than TN = failure.

A natural 10 on the roll is a critical success. Roll again and add score. A natural 1 is a fumble. Roll again and check out Fumble Chart.

Congratulation! You know how to play Cyberpunk 2020.

Oh. And never, ever use Interlock Unlimited - it's fucking garbage.

This is why I love this board. Being able to distill chapters of fluff into a couple of concise paragraphs.

Also, as a general question. Would setting in Tokyo be too on the nose? I was playing around with using Singapore instead since its pretty much a corporate police state already.

>A tie bomber having that.much agility
>A tie bomber dogfighting with a crowd of Xwings

No shame in just embracing it.

Guy who made it released a PDF of background info for the video. Apparently bomber girl specifically modified her TIE for better maneuverability and Itano Circus.

Use whatever city you like. Asian mega cities all have a lot of cyberpunk flair. Pearl River Delta sprawl, Tokyo metroplex, Bangkok, Manilla, New Dehli or Karachi, they all fit the bill.

Pic is Kenzo Tange's a Tokyo Bay project. Would also be pretty good.

The pilot is a badass, hot chick with a scar on the face. This decouples the tie bomber's speed and agility. It also upgrades the lame Star Wars targeting system to Macross levels of kickassery.

I mean he, if I could itano in a tie bomber I sure as hell would.

It's like I'm on /m/.

This thread is everything that's good in this world.

Shanghai is always a nice one to go with

The only thing i can really think of is GURPS mecha... but the system is pure garbage. They have a lot of good pointers on how to run a game though.

>got the scar opening a closet
>claims she got it killing 12 x-wings
Oh my god she's chuuni

Was about to say that pic related fits the bill a little more, but then I remembered that she's bisexual.

Didn't she offer to fuck some kid because he asked?

Yep. Still angry at that little bitch for saying no.

she wasn't being serious

I'm super new to Cyberpunk 2020, and I've coerced my friends to start a campaign with me.
Now, the only other time we played any tabletop game, it was D&D 5e, and the DM didn't even have a map for us (It was a shitshow that lasted 5 hours) so, how do you guys make maps? By hand with 1 inch grid paper? Or do you have actual quick map guides to help you?

Alright, since there ain't sh it happening at work today. Time to brainstorm some world building.

The year is 2038. The world has changed dramatically after the second great Tokyo earthquake in 2019. The capital of Japan was completely flattened in less than twenty minutes and the death toll was in the millions.

The reconstruction effort saw the consolidation of the great Japanes zaibatus into (name pending) heavy industries too coordinate rebuilding and re request of the remainder of the Japanese government. The first step was an elimination of immigration restriction on the Tokyo area in order rapidly create a labor force for the reconstruction of the city. Additionally, development of robotics and labor aids saw the rise of powered exoskeletons to assist in rebuilding. Years later breakthroughs in biotechnology would see the replacment of human labor with cybernetic laborers (should I just call them boomers?)

The influx of tens of thousands of migrant laborers has also turned the rebuilt Tokyo into a truly international city. Resentment between the japnese traditionalists and the multi cultural new city have caused cultural and political turmoil.

The growth of high tech robotics has also led to the kind of crime which the traditional Japanese police force has been unable to cope with. Forcing constitutional change and the creation of a new heavily armored police.

Criticism is welcome. Aplogies for typos phone autocorrect tends to be my nemesis

Bubblegum Crisis had an RPG called Bubblegum Crisis RPG. It was a modification of the Fusion system, and despite being kinda crunchy, actually stands up far better than the Cyberpunk 2020 rules ever did.

You are aware this short was rotoscoped over CG models, right?

it seems like a good story but after I thought about it for a minute I realized you'd basically just spend the whole game shooting immigrants

I was trying to think of a way to explain why there would inevitably be a people of a bunch of nationalities in one of the most insular countries in the world.

It's a fair point though. I'll see if I can think of something better.

What will you do if the players stop the kidnapping from happening ? Have a contingency plan so that you don't feel like you have to railroad them into the hook.

I've done two 80s styled cyberpunk campaigns ( one was mixed with Mekton Zeta) and they were huge hits with the players due to how easy the system is and how conducive it is to getting just the right amount of crunch to be helpful for gameplay without infringing on the roleplaying. I can't recommend it enough.

I like it for a hook. If you go for C2020 I suggest that you leave it like that and then have your characters do a session zero with you to build their lifepaths together, have them invent some stuff ( factions, npcs, events, etc) that are linked with their characters through the lifepath and then populate your world and its history with them. This will allow everything that happens to feel personal and will make your PCs care more about interacting with the world.

Damn, I really like that idea. Would give some investment in the universe right from character creation.

>tfw the rogue boomer you killed gets recycled and falls in love with you.

youtu.be/bFUFD9eFqtw

So, uh.. You need another player OP?

Is dis tru

>I was trying to think of a way to explain why there would inevitably be a people of a bunch of nationalities in one of the most insular countries in the world.
this might be cliched, but I would consider the fact that in a corporate future, global warming will probably reach the point where lots of coastal areas in southeast asia and the pacific are getting flooded. japan, china, and s. korea would probably have the infrastructure and money to put up seawalls, and/or crazy shit like arcologies if its far enough in the future.

thus you would have tons of poor refugees flooding into japan.

That's not bad. I think I'm going to steal that.

Okay, first session is scheduled for Thursday!

20 years of CP2020 and I never made any precise map. I only draw rough maps for combats and I have like a city map for traveling around the city.

For combat maps I like to use paper with 5mm grids. One grid represent usually one meter (small bed or office desk is 2x1, a large bed is 2x2, most other furniture will be 1x1 or 2x1, a car is 4x2, etc.). I'm against using miniatures and exact cartography as it slows down down combat and I'm all for high-speed combat. PCs are marked with letters, NPCs usually with numbers, killed/destroyed stuff is just crossed out from the map.

That guy's video is just a shit. Tie bombers can't even leave craters in asteroids, never mind actually killing anything.

Who cares? This is a cyberpunk thread not the fucking /swg/.

It's quite obvious, and the creator even has several videos showing off the technique on their Youtube channel. The entire scene is mocked up with CG models first, and the art is drawn over top.

damn this is just perfect

>Implying she wouldn't have fucked him if he said yes

>Nene
my nigga

If you like that kind of stuff, I have some in my Aesthetic folder.

Nice

Not even that poster but 80's anime cyberpunk and then this kind of imagery is basically everything I could ever want in a thread.

Hunting sexy cyborg ladies through Neo Tokyo's neon nights...

>Cyberpunk 2020
Cancer.

Cyberpunk 2020 confirmed for best cyberpunk game. If I was on the run from Maas Biotechnologies, and I had to hide in a coffin motel near Narita Airport, it would be the only physical book I'd carry with me.

Time to mix drinks and save lives?

Just take this and add some purple, pink and blue neons.