CYOA General

Last Thread: Archives and other resources: pastebin.com/vrqYhnpu

Other urls found in this thread:

dc.wikia.com/wiki/Monitors
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for Necromancer update when?

Second for fuck you for making Traveller update take longer.

Third for it's not our fault Scientist decided to hire a private contractor for his potentially profitable venture.

I understand what you mean but the possibility would still be there. You want to rescue Constance because her write up sounds really cool and compatible with you but you see that you don't have any skills that would let you do that. Your options at that point are to either redo your character to add those skills or not take Constance and rescue someone else whom you may not like.

That would be my fear, though the girls have a bit of that going on right now in that their descriptions state the problem they face, like Constance being targeted by assassins. You can logically assume that being able to dance isn't going to save her, heh compared to a skill like melee or even prince of thieves.

Also no worries. I just mentioned the concern I'd have with doing that, but it's still an interesting idea and I'll surely mull it over, none the less.

Duly noted.

Yeah if I do something like that it would be somewhat broad category wise. One of the drawbacks to this method though is that it can stifle some peoples creativity in that they may come up with a way that they'd solve a "quest" that I didn't think of, that would work fine. Like how some players really shock their GM during a game. It's still an interesting idea!

Difficulty rating...That's an angle I didn't think about and will make a note about.

This is a pretty valid point too.

Difficulty Ratings are more nebulous for sure but do give feedback on how tough I felt each mission was. I made a note to explore that idea further, though I'm not promising anything heh.

I did try to write up some quests where just killing stuff wouldn't solve them directly, so that people had a wider variety of things they could imagine.

What kind of mechanical rewards/options are you interested in?

Look, don't do it. You're basically taking what's supposed to be a fantasy and giving it strict fucking stat requirements to fulfill that fantasy. It's retarded. You're fucking over so many players because two assholes want to be miserable.

I don't think this is a cyoa to get overly caught up with mechanics. If something adds to our ability to imagine it is good, but unnecessary restraints on a setting that we specifically make ourselves to live out princely power (or whatever) fantasy's is not so good.

Have missions that suggest solutions but don't force us to pick those solutions because one of the main appeals is to solve things our way (even if it is dumb). One user might use brute force (physical or magical), another might use charisma and sex, another subelty and quick reflexes, another a clever scheme or a gadget they just happened to invent, etc.

I don't know about all this other stuff, but I would like the ability to turn into a Dragon.

Tank Crew Author here, had a name change in case I ever feel like doing another one of these in the future (can't be just "that guy who did the Tank Crew thing" forever, right?).

Down to business; after the debacle that was trying to get Photoshop CS2 to work, I said "fuck it" and decided to just stick with Paint.net. I'm starting to get used to its idiosyncracies, so everything should look neater going forward.

Speaking of going forward, here's the completed(?) page 1/3, including a variety of base Star values and the brand-spanking new Superheavy tank for all those folks out there who've got somethin' to compensate for.

Page 2 may take some time, as it's going to be the densest page in terms of both text and images, so please understand.

I was gonna pick the tank destroyer at first, but the superheavy sure is tempting.

Is the author of Order and Chaos v8 here? Because I have a few questions, specifically about Juggernaut.

Is it specifically limited to armor and weapons, or can it be other equipment?

Does it have to be things that are actually part of fantasy lore already, or do you have some kind of agency with what you make?

What counts as a, "weapon," or, "armor?" Would a stone mask that stabs the wearer in the brain as a reaction to being splattered with blood count as a weapon, for example? Would it count as armor because it's a mask and made of stone? Would it be neither?

Realized that I should have posted it with the question, but only after posting it.

Why have the threads been so shit lately?

Magical, I would think. Even the blood-focused minions are magical in nature, given the description of Create Thrall.

So on that guy asking whether or not he could clone dhampir bodies, I'd tell him that vampires are more magical in nature rather than biological. It's like the difference between the Evil Dead zombies and the zombies from 28 Days Later. Why are vampires vampires? It's not because of some biological component. It's magic affecting the physical, not the other way way around.

To me, the standard necromancy, vampire hemomancy, and the mummy magic are all just general supernatural stuff, with the fleshwarper and ghost books concentrating solely on the physical and spiritual aspects of necromancy respectively.

>Would a stone mask that stabs the wearer in the brain as a reaction to being splattered with blood
Why would you make this
Also why would it be a weapon

Netherlord erry time.

Wait a minute. Is that a motherfucking plagiarized weeb shit?

Why not?

I mean how does it benefit you

Prick your thumb with a needle and, in one motion, stick it on someone's face and wipe your thumb over it, in broad daylight. If you get it right, they disintegrate, if not, they have severe brain trauma and probably die.

Fleshwarper for me. I can, using gene splicing, make random people A-class immortals, by using genetics from a type of microscopic organism that re-encodes genetic material from its food onto its telomeres, indefinitely extending its lifespan as long as it has a food supply.

Whatchu gonna do about it?

>Prick your thumb with a needle and, in one motion, stick it on someone's face and wipe your thumb over it, in broad daylight. If you get it right, they disintegrate, if not, they have severe brain trauma and probably die

>Fleshwarper

Good show.

Might I suggest white text on blue rather than black on blue? My first 2 second impression was that the color scheme's annoying to read. The grey isn't helping either.

Otherwise, seems okay for now.

Noted. I don't plan on screwing people over with severe requirements, so don't worry about that. I do listen to all feedback, even if I don't implement it. It's good to know what people want to see.

Surprised I don't have a shapeshifting option yet, outside of magic. I was kicking around the idea of a Were Prince which you could buy for different lycanthropic forms or some sort of Spirit Prince where you would assume animal spirit powers.

>magical properties translate into the real world
>the stone mask can turn people into vampires that disintegrate in sunlight
>it does this by extending spikes into the wearer's skull and hitting specific parts of the brain
>has to have blood put on it to extend the spikes
It's obviously quasi-magical bullshit, so the Juggernaut's ability works on it, if the Juggernaut's other ability allows him to make it.

Less that particular kind, more the, "vats, and tubes, and genetically grown, cloned, or modified flesh and fully-formed creatures," kind. I'm not a fan of my creations being lop-sided, and, since I'm already ageless, why not take the time necessary to grow them from scratch? Or, worse comes to worst, make something like in Westworld, or The Institute in Fallout 4 and print them, fully formed, from raw biomass?

>telling me to change the text colour after I've already saved and closed the document
AAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

... okey...

I like the black text better anyway.

Would've been better to make it white on black.

I figure white on black is a little too generic though. Plus I'm kinda iffy about leaning on black too much in any colour scheme, just out of personal preference and not wanting guilt-by-association with edgelords.

Well that's a plus. As long as people find it legible and not stomach-churningly bad, I'm just gonna leave it as-is, 'cause I really don't want to have to erase, re-paste and re-align every piece of text all over again after I got everything so eye-burningly precise the first time.

I will go with the proven best choice:
Blood Lord
DC's Monitors

Not going to mess with anyone though
>don't want no trouble

I like it because it's easy on the eyes and doesn't feel like my eyes are burning when it's black.

>DC's Monitors
>not Hellsing's soul-eating black magic vampires
>look up Monitors to see why
>they're fucking reality warpers
>just, straight-up, omni-intelligent, red-skinned, vampiric reality warpers
On the one hand, Monitors are fucking crazy powerful to start with. On the other hand, fully-fledged Hellsing vampires eat the souls of their victims and gain their abilities, a la The Slayer.

They're both pretty good choices, all things considered, depending on how, exactly, you want to break it.

Has the Pokemon Personified update been released yet?

Juggernaut is objectively the best.

1. Craft whichever low level fictional armour or weapon that comes with its own roomsized pocket dimension
2. Craft whichever low level fictional armour or weapon that can spawn some basic food once a day
3. Craft whichever low level fictional armour or weapon that obscures you from scrying
4. Craft whichever low level fictional armour or weapon that enhances focus and willpwer
5. Craft something to stop aging
6. Get working to the most OP canon version of Demonbane

The more you post, the more it will be delayed, stupid skelly.

Who proved it? I want to see notes.

>The more you post, the more it will be delayed.
B-But, Necromancer came out after forever.

Jesus Christ again? It gets worse every time.

>Guardian Angel
Comfy every time.
I assume this is the good version. I don't think anyone ever actually opens this CYOA when it gets posted?

>dc.wikia.com/wiki/Monitors

Powers:
>Cosmic Awareness

>Dimensional Manipulation

>Energy Manipulation
>>Flight
>>Immortality
>>Interdimensional Teleportation
>>Matter Manipulation
>>Psionics
>>Reality Manipulation
>>Superhuman Strength
>>Superhuman Durability
>>Teleportation

>Genius-Level Intellect: An infinite knowledge about the secrets of the multiverse.

>again
user this update has been planned since Sun/Moon came out.

>Worse everytime.
Subjective.

Sure, but then you look like you have a testicle for a head

So what makes them vampires

A small price to pay for being able to literally warp reality as you see fit.

Personally, for Blood Lord, I'd still prefer Hellsing for the reasons in , vis a vis, discount Slayer powers.

They're considered vampiric in DC lore.

Always hated the Monitors.

Mandrakk was pretty cool though. One of the strongest non-omnipotent characters in fiction, period.

One of the most powerful things about them is that their powers work on a Meta-Fictional level. Not just reality bending, but rewriting plot - like meddling executives or copyright lawyers.

>>They're considered vampiric in DC lore.

Yeah but why? Do they feed off the energy of the universe?

The Monitors are pretty strong in general. Mandrakk (as mentioned) could only be beaten because Superman had a story he couldn't eat.

They're lesser versions of pic related bitch.

Sure.

I can only go by the description
>Born a vampire rather than made
So i have to say you can't just grow a dhampir, there's more to it. Things that Brits will find on page 3 of their newspapers.

>Not using the 3v2.0 phrasing

Clones are good and well as long as you're not ruling the Galactic Empire from the comfort of the EU.

>Stonewriter
Have you never seen shit fade over time? If you paint a spell on the wall of a tomb, it could eventually stop working.
See: Curse of Death, the tomb of Tutankhamun.
If you get the feel for how old the setting is, necromancers have lived for centuries, even thousands of years. Do you really want to have to undergo the labour of checking every single trap to make sure they're still working? Or would you rather set them once and rest assured they will be working until they're triggered.

3v2.0 isn't out yet you dummy.

>Vampire gods, celestial parasites draining the world dry.

Mandrakk could only be defeated because his earlier self made special plans to make it possible to defeat himself.

>Imagine if I got really pissed
>I better help the guy that will have to face me.

Guardian

That's the joke.

>CYOAs
>joke

Do they make the comics blurry so we don't have to see how shitty their anatomy drawing skills are?

For anyone who cares, my touhou CYOA is almost done. I'm just putting the finishing touches on it now, it should be out in around an hour.

Wait, are you nerfing death warden as well?

Mummy book at least seems to have direct spiritual magic too, considering it has one of the few spells that can effect souls directly.

Don't be so cruel and get to work, please.

How many waifus are there?

It's in Anaglyph 3D. There's also a digital version without the 3d.

And here I thought the idea was the blurring was caused by reality crumbling apart.

Holy shit, 32deep64me

>thinking that DC is that clever...

SICK. I'm looking forward to it!

You're half-an-hour too late. Tough luck!

>They're lesser versions of pic related bitch

More like lesser versions of these two. They alone could drop kick Mandrakk through the fourth wall and further. Featherine is just overkill and as powerful as one can get before becoming Omnipotent.

Well, It's finally done. I'm worried that it may be aimed too narrowly at real Touhou fans, but that's the price of art I guess. I was also worried about readability, but I think it's okay. I'm going to bed anyway, hopefully you all enjoy.

Post mindtrippy cyoas.

>being male costs extra

But that just seems boring. What can possible challenge you at that stage? How could you possibly relate to humans and their problems when you're so above it all? Not to mention, their powers are impossible to comprehend from a human perspective, which means when I lose myself in a fantasy about being them, I get bored quickly because I can't relate.

>default female gender
>choice points vary depending on user's skill with an obscure basket weaving dance dance revolution spinoff
>yet everything is ridiculously expensive
>i alsu tjibk tje coliyrs bkinfed ne

Forced to agree with pepe. Costs for the base stuff did seem a bit high even with your default tokens. No tokens for not having played a touhou game? Not worth really "playing" the rest of your cyoa then.

>Being a boy with a modicrum of power takes up all my points

Oh, no, I just meant that those 3 grimoires dabbled in both, it's just that the spirit and flesh books both focus exclusively on the incorporeal and the corporeal respectively.

lol butthurt men

fighting for penis rights

Do want to say that new content is great, so thank you for creating this. Just won't be doing a build due to the way it' set up.

Gotta agree with and ; costs are crazy high for everything, and since you don't count the fighting games, I can't even get any power points to offset costs. And I didn't even TRY to keep my penis; that was a lost cause from the start.

I strongly petition for more points (and having my sweet Hisentensoku skills be recognised in a youkai court of law)!

Outside of how expensive everything is, this is a fantastic CYOA, everything I expected and more. Good work!

Fine then

Boy: 4
Outsider: 8
Lewd: 6
Doujin: 3
Headcanon(Personality): 2
>They're all such semen demons they'll do whatever I tell them to
Job: Magician: 2
Food -0

Who needs power when you have a harem of magical animu girls anyway

God, place something between the text and the BG.

It's hard/painful to read.

This is a lot of work for a troll CYOA.

>implying God browses CYOA threads

>implying god is not the result of a CYOA

>pick male
>pick strong youkai
>take any minor drawback like Aya without lewd intentions, or Reimu dislike.

I like that it does this because it forces you choose what you actually want. It's fairly easy to do male with power even as a scrub that can't even 1CC IN on easy. Heck, just take Outsider Male Magician Job and spend zero points on it, you'll just need to put in a ton of effort and be willing to take risks in a manchurian hypothetical scenario simulator.

The complaints leveled are for the most part completely nonsensical whinging about how being good at Touhou gets you bonuses (which is fine), not having enough points to get everything you want (which is fine), being a male stops you from easily amassing power (it really doesn't, you just need to focus on it, and it's fine given the setting) or the design (okay, some of the words can be blurry - I'd recommend swapping the white text blue outlined on Job/Lifestyle to blue text black outline like the header section).

It's a good CYOA.

Rewarding some people upto 2x as many tokens is just plan bad design. It's that simple.

My major gripe with this cyoa is how fetishized it is though. It goes beyond having waifu elements. Some of the options are almost /d/tier. Or just plain weird. CUTEEEE!!! let's you sexually harass the girls except in such an unsatisfying way you're bound to get blue balls.

I'm coming for that 8P.

I cant remember the name, but there is a cyoa about the seven virtues where you choose either a "minor" or "major" effect from all of them and get to pick boons based on that.

For example, I think that "minor chastity" stopped you from sex outside of serious relationships, and diligence removed all enjoyment from non productive activities.

Does anyone know which one it is?

You gotta' invest if you want to crush the yokai poon.

trying to make a serious dark and edgy cyoa in paint

stay tuned lads

I think Slayer is the best option here. The teleportation doesn't have any cooldown listed, so you could easily just teleport over and over across the land until you find another gifted person and kill them. Repeat until you've found and killed all of them (except Suicide Man and Skeleton King, who you could probably take care of some other way with all your abilities).

Can this really be called a CYOA if you don't actually get to choose things? Making people's choices depend on something like their favorite music doesn't make any sense, considering you'll just get the same thing every time you make a build unless your tastes regularly change.
>that introduction
As far as I know, suicidal people are prime candidates for becoming vampire food. Just pointing that out.
>powerlevel depends on how good you are at shooters where powerlevels don't matter
And it's funny how you could basically know jack shit about the characters and the lore and yet get the best result, you just have to complete StB or DS. Meanwhile, people who have played the the rest of the shmups, played the fighting games and read all of the print works + music CD stories are at a disadvantage.
>drawbacks
You could have done better. Like making your house infested with various tsukumogami instead of making an OOC Kogasa with bullshit immunity.
Also, fanon memes are terrible.

The more I read it, the more I'm inclined to agree with .

>you'll just get the same thing every time you make a build unless your tastes regularly change
same thing goes for wish fulfillment CYOAs. You only have one fantasy, doing it again will just result in the same wish getting fulfilled.

What if I said I don't like wish fufillment CYOAs either?

A small alpha because I'm running low on creative juices.
On my list for improvements:
>balance (needs playtesters)
>more interesting bonuses in the sectors
>icons for the employees and relations
>more stuff for the priviliges, some real far-out stuff like moonbases and starting your own kingdom (need more ideas for that)

The one I meant to post.

I would not be surprised