mediafire.com/folder/1ecybp6dp8rix/SoloTG
mega.nz/#!RVEWWKDQ!ZS6hy6-iO3IEWtIrsj7R1tcMAlXaAl-wVcIbbsozWzw
mega.nz/#F!9R8G2aQb!g-dZXkyCmkrljzH60tZEhQ
youtu.be/H8-TZNlk1YI?t=2m41s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Take turns being DM

without pants

youtube.com/watch?v=Vb75TpU31wk

Unforgotten Realms, man. Turn-taking shenanigans ahoy.

Mah nigga

Two-player battle books (Lost World, Queen's Blade, Ace of Aces...)

Maybe a dice-generated dungeon like those single-player paper dungeoncrawlers

This. Each player DMs for the other.

You've got options.

For one you can use a GM emulator to run almost any system, though interpreting its results takes some getting used to.
You can find several of them in this other user's mediafire, along with a bunch of solo games, some of which support two players.
(I know B-17 Queen of the Skies is ostensibly solo, but a lot of folks used to play in concert with each person running their own bomber and crew -- I've heard wargame conventions used to have huge games recreating the allied bombing campaign over Europe)

mediafire.com/folder/1ecybp6dp8rix/SoloTG

There are also dedicated GMless games you could play. The Department is a hybrid skirmish wargame/RPG about detectives tracking down robotic criminals a la Blade Runner, and supports two-player co-op.

mega.nz/#!RVEWWKDQ!ZS6hy6-iO3IEWtIrsj7R1tcMAlXaAl-wVcIbbsozWzw

There's also pretty much the whole library of Two Hour Wargames stuff, which is likewise mostly RPG/wargame hybrids. Everything they put out supports solo and same-side against their enemy rules. The editing's not the best, so it's a little annoying to learn for the first time without someone to teach you, but it's doable. (I did it) The core rules are Chain Reaction 2015, in the Free stuff. Pretty much everything else in here is built around that core.

mega.nz/#F!9R8G2aQb!g-dZXkyCmkrljzH60tZEhQ

Goddamn, so many fucking memories just came flooding back to me.

Ah man. Is there an official name for this kind of thing? I remember way back when there was a set of these for 40k, featuring something like Kal Jerico fighting Kharn the Betrayer or something.

Old edition D&D called it head-to-head or one-on-one

Ace of Aces, Queen's Blade and Lost Worlds all call themselves some variation of "combat book game with pictures"
No unified term though

Random encounter tables.
All of the random encounter tables.

Characters are rivals. They keep talking up what they're capable of:

> I could take the goblin keep singlehandedly!
> Oh yeah? Well find me one with hobgoblins!
> Pfeh, hobgoblins are nothing. Maybe if they had a necromancer it'd be a real challenge.
> I'd like to see you try that.
> MAYBE I WILL.

And then the guy who just chickened out DM's a one-off where the other guy tries to take on a hobgoblin keep with a necromancer.

1e DMG
>random encounter tables
>random wilderness generators
>random treasure/loot generators (5e is good at this too)
>random dungeon generator

Just take turns blowing each other

Epic post, upboat +1

That's gay, mike.

I roll to bite

This is how you roll to bite.

Play Silver Tower or some other game without a DM.

Holy shit nostalgia

>Queen's Blade
I'm still amazed that this became an officially endorsed product. Didn't the daughter of the Lost World creator work on some QB books?

Wikipedia mentions something of the sort but cites no source.

JOIN THE EMPORE AND HIS SIDE AND JOIN THE SPACE MARHRINES!

I found an interview with Jill Leonardi. It starts at 2:41 if the timestamp doesn't work right.
youtu.be/H8-TZNlk1YI?t=2m41s

tl;dr Hobby Japan had already been making Queen's blade games based on the Lost worlds system when Alfred Leonardi (the creator) found out about it. He just says "whatever this is cool" and contacts Hobby Japan to talk about royalties for the system and designing new characters. Alfred Retires and his daughter steps up and continues designing characters alongside the Japanese character concepts.

She sounds very enthusiastic when pressed on what she thinks about Queen's Blade as a franchise.