media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:

What do you like better- Heavy, Medium, or Light armor?

>not wearing all three types at the same time

Reposting on the new thread

I want to give as part of a magic item, the power to transform yourself into a Treant once per day without the Animate Trees action. But since this is VERY powerful, I also wanted to add some kind of drawback to using this power, so that they don't use it every single day.

What I've thought is either make it require your concentration, or make it so that even after turning back into a humanoid you're still vulnerable to fire for 24 hours. Which should I do? Is there a better idea?

I wish the differences between Light, Heavy, and Medium armor were more than 1-2 points of AC, especially when Light Armor comes with soooo many fewer drawbacks (no stealth/acrobatics disadvantage, cheap to replace, ect).

I also wish medium armor had a point on more characters than just a few of the clerics or UA Bladelock.

Reposting since it was at the ass-end of the thread

Is Storm King's Thunder a good pick for an above-average party? I'm thinking from 7-8 players. The module intro makes it sound pretty open ended and fighting giants seems like something to do in large groups. Any suggestions as to any changes I should make for the module. Should I consider a different module entirely? What are your opinions?

first thread best thread

Heavy armour or nothing at all.

I hate those "I will just wear a tiny bit of protection" armour. Your absolute only reason for wearing less than full plate is not being able to afford it. Otherwise, disregard armour entirely.

>tfw my DM has a raging hatred for fullplate
There are even fewer reasons to play a Str character than normal!

all campaign books are designed for 3-5 players, 5 at most. anything over 5 you need to make heavy modifications to make it so that they don't steam roll through it

>7-8 players
Nigger, what are you doing?

I totally agree. It seems a little bland when every chacter is running studded leather or full-plate because why wouldn't they?
Do you know of any other systems where this issue isn't so apparent

The magical item is a Bonsai tree in a glass dome, somewhat fragile and requires you to maintain it as you would a regular Bonsai. Activating the ability involves switching places with the Bonsai, with you becoming a treant and the being replaced with your body. Your body is vulnerable while in the dome, and spending too long swapped has serious side effects. A full 24 hours would leave you hungry, dehydrated, and extremely fatigued upon swapping back.

In addition, any damage taken while in treant form will be passed on to the bonsai when swapping back, the only way to recover the health of the treant form is tending to the bonsai. Some druidic magic can speed the process along, but the tree must heal itself.

Clearly you've never played an old-school game.

Old DnD is nothing like 5e, and you should know that.

hiring players en masse. A few are bound to drop out, lowering the number to 6 probably. Until then, I will be planning a module for 8 players.

For the DMs out there, how much do you write down when preparing a session?
I take down stat blocks and draw maps as needed but our setup is pretty barebones (we use a mix of theater of the mind and roll20 depending on the session)
I end up describing things to players from memory but I'll often forget crucial details for some times and I'll feel like it would be awkward to go back and correct it when I remember (often after the session).
I don't want to write everything down and become rigid though, as I do like to improvise and let my players take part in making my world.
Tl;dr: How much storystuff do you write down? How do you keep yourself from forgetting potentially crucial details?

FUCKING. EVERYTHING.

So? Doesn't mean he can't re-tool things if that's what he wants to do.

Well Barbarians, Druid and Rangers are both likely to be using Medium Armour for a while.

Plus Medium Armour's better until you have 20 DEX, which isn't likely to happen under level 10 on most martial builds. Actually thinking about it more people will use Medium then the 3 classes with Heavy.

That aside I do wish Medium Armour was a little bit better, maybe give Half-Plate another +1 AC and up the cost? Then MAM gives you AC better then Plate though.

I like no armor high AC the most, but it's usually either broken, or worthless.

In 5e it's alright, once you have 18 CON on a Barbarian it's good, Monks have it too and are normally the same AC as non-shield martials, Sorcerers, Warlocks can get free Mage Armour.

>Sorcerers can get free Mage Armour.
Unless you play the cool sorcerer.

Yeah, Stone Sorcerer. Then you get better mage armor and a shield.

Playing a Kobold in a game soon, there's 4 frontline characters and my DM says hoods stop sunlight sensitivity. so I should be getting advantage 99% of the time.

What's the best class to make use of this? I thought about a Fiend Warlock or Fire Dragon Sorcerer for cantrips and Scorching Ray but I'm not sure.

The only armor I need is my UNENDING FURY.

Dragon Sorc

Any system where you don't have a hundred meatpoints. It's hard to have DR in a game where there's kobolds doing 1d4+1 damage, and a lich or beholder blasting you for 100 damage.

Mastermind rogue. Pick mastermind rogue.

Paladin has the highest DPR right?

Oh I love this! The item is actually similar to a Staff of the Woodlands, which does have a bonsai-looking tree on top of it, so I can totally work that in. Thank you very much.

>Scaling Level-based DR bonuses.
That's not so hard.

What's a good reason why a horizon walker ranger might find himself on a ship as a mostly permanent occupation?

The water plane is being a cunt and poking into our seas/oceans

Merrow are assholes.

natural armor

I think one of the design decisions wizards made was that low level enemies should still pose a reasonable threat at higher levels, but DR 6 means that a goblin will never deal damage to you.
Also level scaling DR wouldn't be a property of armor as much it would be a property of a class.

why would any warlock ever take the otherworldly leap invocation?

it requires you to be level 9, requires you to give up an invocation, and only gives you the level 1 spell jump

and upon reading jump it sounds like shit

Sometimes you just feel like jumping

I dunno, being able to jump 15ft. in the air with 12 STR has it's uses, also 36ft. across something.

Being able to move around the battlefield vertically is awesome, and you can leap over people to avoid OA's.

Because they didn't think at all when making invocations. All the trap options are obvious, and all the optimal choices are EVEN MORE obvious.

Both of the fighters I'm playing wear half-plate for different reasons, so I guess medium armor.

If you leave their range they can still OA you even if you jump away.

He means instead of having to go past someone

the ascendent step invocation is infinitely better.

20ft levitation in any direction whenever you want >>> jumping 30-something-feet

it could've been good if it was written differently but it's pretty substandard. You can jump three times longer (when you probably have a shitty jump distance to begin with) or you can levitate up to 20 feet at will. not a hard choice. although now I'm curious if you can't just levitate yourself up to 20 feet and jump off the edge of your levitation anyway to get a slightly further distance

>jump off the edge of your levitation
? the fuck

Level scaling DR as the benefit armor provides. You use it more effectively as you level. The armor itself would just have tiers of DR. The number that comes from it would be based on that tier plus your level.

It's a less finicky way to do percentile DR.

But yes, it does mean you can't just throw a hundred kobolds at them to get level appropriate damage, as eventually that DR let's them ignore kobold damage entirely.

you're already stepping on it. why not?

Unearthed Arcana when?

You don't get a special levitation, it's still the same as a regular levitation spell iirc. It has quite a lot of limitations as far as movement is concerned.

It's not stepping, it's levitating
There is no invisible platform you're on, you're floating.

You're not stepping on anything, you're floating. Also, I'm pretty sure you can only go vertically with Levitate, not in any direction.

You would need to completely rebalance all monsters to account for DR when it comes to multiattack vs single powerful attacks vs spells.

You're not stepping on anything.

Because you have to end your concentration to move freely and would instantly fall?

Also you can only move vertically effectively with Levitate, need Concentration and can take pretty heavy fall damage.

Jump's just 1 minute of free vertical and horizontal leap awesome.

Both aren't great but I'd see myself using Jump more.

well fuck me silly

Yeah, I guess Jump is better than Levitate then. I thought you could go horizontal too but apparently not.

I guess I'll eat my hat now.

You're stepping on the air dude, lmao.
>not flying around by lifting a chair you're sitting on

>things your fighter assumes to be true concerning magic

Levitate can never cause fall damage you nerds

>tfw eldritch knight but still can't even into hocus pocus

Why don't we just cast wish ALL the time?

>be a rather old party, 40 sessions in
>All guys, only one person made a girl.
>Young wizard, shit stats outside of intelligence
>Mostly downplayed, except for her being ridiculously weak and unable to handle anything too physically intensive
>had 2 occasions where the gender was actively used, one where a scoundrel managed to rob her of a bag of expensive gems through seduction, and one where she managed to get into a noble house because someone had a good eye for her.
>pretty much only used by the "crude men" in the party to make inappropriate jokes.
>sleeps at an inn with double beds (pretty much a romantic hotel near a lake currently infested with wyverns the party is trying to clear out.), and they take the usual setup with 2 people in each room.
>barbarians turn to share room with the wizard
>makes a few bad jokes before they go to bed, but nothing more then usual
>as they go to bed, he says "I roll strength athletics to silence her. And then I'll fuck her"
>Party laughs
>the following morning they decide the wizard wont get her long rest benefits and asks if she should have taken damage, and suggests 3d4 (because 1d4 per hour)

Anyone else have players who are good at coming up with on the spot rulings, that you really dont want to bother with?

Meanwhile jumping too high actually can cause fall damage

They've got different uses, if you have time then Levitate's better. Jump's basically always on but smaller effect.

If you need to go down or have time to move up then you can turn into a portable turret 300 feet away.

what

It's been errata'd that you can fall distance equal to how ever high you jumped without taking fall damage.

>when you sit around with your virgin friends and make jokes about forcing sex on your male friend's imaginary tapletop character
haha epic

this is why neckbeards shouldn't play females

>3d4 (because 1d4 per hour)
That's a hell of a lot of rape.

>this isn't pasta

>You're the wizard, HEAL ME

>>Anyone else have players who are good at coming up with on the spot rulings, that you really dont want to bother with?
No.

I'm thankful my group's not like that, say what you will about SJW players but my lot haven't ever brought it in game and are pretty chill.

Well. You got your reactions, bud.

I mean, if they're all comfortable with it, it's their game, so it's fine.
You're only that guy if you're doing this shit and clearly the only one enjoying it, or making other people feel weird.

It's still a fucking stupid thing to do in a roleplay game. Why don't they just fuck eachother irl and get it over with?

>systems where wizards can't cast literally any type of spell and only are barred from a handful of signature spells

>Why can't you just keep casting suggestion until he fails it?

I actually had the Ranger ask me that and when I replied with information about spell slots his exact words were
>Spells seem hard so I just don't use them

Nah, 2 of them are married, and the guy playing a girl is divorced.

And the barbarian is the "Chad" kind of faggot who sleeps around so much youd think he was compensating for something.

Not sure what happened here though, I am just happy that I wasn't involved in it.

My contribution to the thread.

>Screencapping this garbage
Kill yourself famalam

Alright a buddy of mine is throwing together a small scale campaign and its looking like its just going to be 3 people at this point. Got a Vengeance paladin, Hexblade Warlock and a Dragon-sorc. Should the Lock player play a skill-monkey or something? or is 5e better than previous editions in needing healers or something?

>yotsuba b
>highlighted post
>HIGHLIGHTED TEXT IN POST
>some kind of spyware cursor

roll a 3d4 bud

You first, and stop talking like that, you sound like a ding-dong.

>Dragon sorc will likely be blasting
>Hexblade warlock will pretend to be a fighter
You're pretty fucked

I use Linux you faggot.

The rest of its indefensible.

Yeah, exactly what I posted.

Why is my post hovering on yours. Get your post away from my post.

I've played with a Hexblade before, they generally do better than fighters. Sorc I have no experience with, are they really that bad?

Thinking of making a tabaxi wizard for an upcoming game.
Is this retarded or not?

Fairly sleep deprived so I can't really tell.

That's not what that's for, sir.

Not if you like killing things.

Define retarded. It's a character, dude.

You're fine.

What makes them bad at blasting? Twinned spell makes it seem like they'd be great at it.

Probably in a week

There, now quit your whining. Yotsuba stays though because I'm not a newfag.

Anyone play a scout rogue?
How was it?

Learn to read.

GET YOUR POST AWAY FROM MY POST

We have bi weekly sessions so that helps.
Generally what I do is this:
>Whenever something roleplay related pops into my mind, make a note
>Once every third day or something, sort through notes and see how they fit with the campaign
>Write up 1 NPC + potentially reuse one that never got to see the light of day
>Use a random encounter generator and write down a few fitting encounters, potentially alter these encounters slightly and make a homebrew opponent

And fill in the blanks during play.