/WFG/ Warhammer Fantasy General

Creatures of the Old World edition.

> Resources (Crunch, Lore and Warhammer Fantasy Role-play)
WFB: pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
WFRP: pastebin.com/0e6RuQux
Novels: mega.nz/#F!9Lw1WIRZ!eKxkOlAQwuZO3_8pHOK-EQ

> We're looking for these novels for the archive
pastebin.com/xXYsyMmi

> Alternative Warhammer Miniatures and Manufacturers
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk
the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/462-the-9th-age-miniature-library/
tabletop-miniatures-solutions.com/13-the-9th-age
Tomb Kings Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-undying-dynasties-army-release#/
Bretonnia Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-kingdom-of-equitaine-army-release

> The 9th Age
the-ninth-age.com

> Warhammer Wikis
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki (most complete)
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki

> Warhammer Video Games
Total War Warhammer: store.steampowered.com/app/364360/
Vermintide: store.steampowered.com/app/235540/
Mordheim City of the Damned: store.steampowered.com/app/276810/
Bloodbowl 2: store.steampowered.com/app/236690/
Man O' War: store.steampowered.com/app/344240/
Return of Reckoning: returnofreckoning.com/

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/554542735/pantheon-of-chaos-chapter-two
kickstarter.com/projects/2139148164/going-native-from-out-of-the-mists
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Should /wfg/ come up with it's own 9th edition?

I'm posting this guys unit fill because I thought it was cool and it was posted at the death of last thread.

Just convert Total War Warhammer to tabletop rules.

There are already two '9th' editions, we dont need a third

Yeah but they're both shit and based off 8th edition.

Who would win in a fight - the Chaos Dwarves, or Skaven? I'm thinking specifically about their relatively advanced tech compared to the rest of the setting.

So grace confirmed the race will launch in July or August. When do you think we'll get a trailer?

Probably Skaven because CD are such an elite army and they would struggle to fight such a numerous enemy, regular Dwarfs usually struggle against them and CD are even rarer than them.

TW:W2 is coming out at the end of September.

We may see some Skaven stuff at E3.

He does look pretty cool - the shields and the hat are a nice touch. I wish there were some straps or something to help explain how the shields are sticking to him, though.

Don't forget that Chaos Dwarves do make use of Hobgoblin auxiliaries.

Can somebody explain to me, the lores of magic. Specifically, are there more lores than the eight lores that correspond to the eight collages of magic in the Empire.
Are there more lores apart from these eight, the lores of chaos, necromancy and high magic? Also, what kind of spells does high magic provide?

They do but one sign of weakness in the CD and they would rebel, the Skaven could probably work up a deal with them and cause a slave revolt.

So Creative Assembly said this about the new race pack

"But what you will see in our next Race Pack is us expanding into some new and exciting areas not touched on by the core IP, but still with Games Workshops approval and in keeping with the core of the Warhammer universe."

Since this is going to have original units and lore, what does anyone hope for CA's fully relised Norsca that wasn't in tabletop? I want werewolves, Huscarls, and Norscan Headhunters. Along with Mammoths and Ettins.

This is actually quite exciting, have they done an E3 panel today or something?

This makes me think it could be Amazons or something, since FW have covered a lot of the Norsecan stuff.

Alternatively Araby would make sense since they kind of need them and they did have a Warmaster range.

Well, you've basically got it - there are more lores than the ones the Colleges of Magic use, because other races developed different systems of magic than the simplified version designed for humans by elves, meant to only use one wind of magic at a time - Ghyran, Azur, Shyish, etc.

High Magic can be thought of as the use of all the eight winds of magic at once, like a rainbow. Dhar is sort of a dark mirror of High Magic - it's mixing all the lores together, but in more of a black sludge, less refined than High Magic, more raw. Necromancy makes use of dhar. Some magics are unique to certain races or factions - the Ogres use a crude sort of magic called the Lore of the Great Maw that revolves around eating, Kislev uses Ice magic, the Dwarves forswear most uses of magic and instead use Rune Magic, inscribing magic runes on objects to 'pin' the magic to the object, which is more stable but less powerful. There's even Divine magic provided by deities and not technically from any of the winds, like what Warrior Priests or Tomb Kings use.

It's worth pointing out that there are only eight 'winds' or 'colours' of magic, but there are more lores.
The other lores are either combinations of winds or magic from different sources, usually a higher power acting as a kind of intermediary for the 'wizard'.

For instance, the Ice Magic of Kislev comes from the land itself, personified as the 'Ancient Widow'. Realm of the Ice Queen heavily implies that the Ancient Widow is actually the Goddess of Law, Arianka.
Waaagh Magic is possibly borne out of the collective greenskin consciousness.
And so on.

I got some ironbreakers recently, I had no idea they were AOS, it did not mention sigmar anywhere on the packaging.

I had never bought anything Warhammer before, and thought it might be an old set left behind.

They're still pretty cool looking, but I do also like the aesthetic of the previous editions of dwarfs.

Is it pretty impossible to find them without paying a ridiculous sum, or paying for models someone else put together?

Its called The 9th Age

>

No one comes before an Estalian, senor, excepting your wife, of course. Quite loudly, I might add.

Honestly eBay and Batteries your best bets. I personally was able to pick up a lot of the old metal 6th rd dwarfs just by picking the right actions.

But to still the metal stuff isn't terrible. Old longbeards usually sell for about 30-35 on eBay, which is below MSRP really

Bartertown, damn you autocorrect

thanks, I really don't have an interest in WH40k 2

so at least there's still some way of finding proper fantasy miniatures

ironbreakers are exactly the same in sigmar as they are in fantasy just change the bases

If you mean the old Anglo-Saxon aesthetic you can still buy Dwarf warriors which have chainmail, for old Ironbreakers you'll need to scour eBay. I don't mind their new look though since Gromril was always implied to be plate armour in the later sources.

He's talking about Dwarfs that look like this.

yeah, the current look of the iron breakers is fine, if a bit sameface and bulky

didn't much care for the iron drake alternate setup

the bases they came with were square, is that what you mean? I'd think that's already fine for WFB

cheers user for posting my bearington, I'll post progress as he comes along
It's stage one user, I intend to greenstuff or putty ropes for the shields/halters /top thing and possibly a collar depending upon my greenstuff fu

I'll post pics

So what sort of magic do the Tomb Kings use? Is it a sort of proto-necromancy? Some of the fluff around Nagash implies that his use of the Winds of Magic themselves wasn't done before - considered the territory of the gods - and it seems like the Mortuary Cult's rituals are less around specifically raising the dead as much as placing souls into objects, which could be dead bodies or into statues, so it might not be necromancy per se.

And on another note, where do they get their bodies from? A bit of fluff early in the 8th edition army book claims that they have twice as many dead as those that live in the Old World, but surely some skeletons get broken beyond repair, and for obvious reasons they cannot produce more, and I think it's implied by the fact that each Skeleton Warrior is serving out of loyalty to their lord, they can't just raise any old skeleton like Vampires do. Is there a serious chance that Nekhara could run out of skeletons (ignoring the 'as many elves as the plot demands' part of fluff)?

in the gotrex and felix book: tomb queen gets the warm and dusty for felix. It's stated that the great mortuary cult of the tomb kings can repair damaged bones/kings to a state where it matches what was before, I'd imagine the implication is a heap of 'damaged' 'dead' bones or invader bones are used as a sort of replacement for what cannot be outright magic'd better due to that.

The reason for the twice as many dead is every single Nekherran that ever lived is locked inside their tombs waiting for settra to give them the thumbs up to go outside, they have infinite armies of the dead but the dead serve infinite kings of infinite dynasties.

Hope that makes sense user

Which centuries does Warhammer takes its inspiration from?

Brets 13-14 centuries
The rest of Old World 15-16 centuries

>It's called the 9th Cancer.

FTFY. 9th Age is cancer and its dev-team have drunk the kool-aid and made a pile of dung. The fact that they are making a setting out of that, which can at best be described as Soft-Hammer (and at worse generic piece of shit) is another insult too.

Hobgoblins don't rebel, it's in the fluff that they've been bred so that's they're incapable of rebelling.

I hope someone mods it out, I want to play real Warhammer, not homebrew Warhammer.

Don't know where that came frm, but on WFRP at least they're noted to be the most treacherous greenskins there are, considered dishonest and untrustworthy even by goblin standards. They're not slaves of the dawi zharr either, but mercenaries.

It's KoW

What's the best edition of Warhammer?

It's a debate
Some say 6th, others 2nd, some 7th
A lot of people dislike 8th but I quite like it myself; having the big armies run around on the board just feels right
I remember when 9th age came out and /whfb/ was optimistic about it, what changed I wonder

Kings of War.

I'm going to be the bad man and say 8th, a lot of different ways to run empire armies and still win

There's been loads of Hobgoblin rebellions? They're even more devious than Goblins.

Does anybody have any experience in WFRP 2nd edition, with creating your own magical items - both as loot/rewards but also players crafting their own? I got some ideas for items myself, but if they would be horribly overpowered to give the PCs.

And while on the subject of magic items. What kind of magical items would the lizardmen have, and what effects would they produce?

Yes I was wrong and I can admit it because I'm anonymous.

5th was the last edition before Warhammer started taking itself too seriously. It gets called Herohammer but you could certainly play it non-competitively.

6th was good. I have a lot of comfy memories of when everyone was using get-you-by Ravening Hordes lists.

7th had a lot of codex creep. Dark Elves and Daemons wrecked everyone's shit.

8th was right to allow everyone to fight and to encourage bigger units, but they went overboard with it. Having to make infantry units of 40 guys really priced a lot of people out of the game. The massive magical nukes flying around pretty much forced you to take a wizard as your lord choice.

The 6th edition had the crusade army, the Sigmarite army, the artillery train, the cult of Ulric and the army of Middenland all as separate lists.

just get a couple of their army books and peep their magic items. Only one I know of off hand was the blade of leaping gold, a kopesh that gave its user 3 more attacks

That sounds like a good idea. But do you have any specific guide lines for how to convert from the table top to role playing? I mean the Sword of Leaping Gold sounds really overpowered if you convert it directly into WFRP2 - granting a character 3 additional attacks is really strong.

You've grown as a person user.

Every faction is locked in a different time period. Warhammer doesn't really take place in any one time period.

I don't hate 8th like some people, if they toned down magic then it would have been a good game it contributed to the death of the game. Having large armies is good for people like us who already have loads of models but for anyone wanting to get into the game it pretty much stops them dead.

So make 6.5. By yourself.

kickstarter.com/projects/554542735/pantheon-of-chaos-chapter-two

kickstarter.com/projects/2139148164/going-native-from-out-of-the-mists

Thoughts?

What's wrong with 9th age?
Hard Mode: Can't complain about the fast churning out of new rule changes.

Think of the months containing the factions. It's going like this;

May-Lizardmen
June-High Elves
July-Dark Elves
August-Skaven
September-Hype month and release.

The High Elves will get content this month and a trailer as well.

But remember - the hogoblins betrayed their fellow greenskins in the past. Whether it was intended or not, they're stuck at a point where they need the Chaos Dwarves for protection from other greenskins, and can't risk rebelling against them even if they wanted to, or could stop backstabbing themselves long enough to do it.

There are probably still a lot of smaller rebellions, but the last chance for united slaves to topple the Chaos Dwarves is essentially gone.

The easiest way to create a magical item is to let it bypass demonic and ghostly resistances, and to give it a special trait or two from another weapon type. These create weapons that are uniquely useful without blowing away balance.

Another technique is to have magic weapons grant the equivalent of a good Talent or racial feature, like Grusge-Born Fury or Fearless.

Always remember that weapons are Best quality, and benefit from that to-hit bonus.

Finally, if you make an exceptionally powerful weapon, give it a drawback, a nasty one. I created one, a sword, which worsened Crites by one degree and rolled on the table twice, picking the worse result...but it did the same to any living wielder when they were critted. In addition, it could break any weapon of less than best quality on a (rare) proc, bit it was noticeably an elven weapon and would, by nature of its history, anger any dwarfs its wielder encountered. Dwarfs being surly buggers, wearing it might cause problems in some social contexts.

It builds from 8th rather than 6th.

If you have a lot of minis, why not take more units instead of making model count in units higher?

Who cares if it becomes its own thing?
Plus 1.2 was based on going back to 6th.

Hordes of Gobbos and skellies look better.

>completely reworked magic (for the worse)
>setting is overly generic shit
these are my main issues with it

The constant rules changes are the only thing that gives me some hope for it, it's a mess at the moment of all the worst parts of 8th.

Good news, they are fixing magicagain in the next update.

As for the setting, its okay. I like Warhammer having a Rome and Chaos not getting wanked, the rest is acceptable if not exciting.

I don't think it's as good as the first PoC but I like some of the warrior designs.

The second one has little interest, I can maybe see a use for the chivo ravagers as pygmies, I really like the piasa bird and I guess some of the women could be used as Amazons.

That's not a great argument, they betrayed the CD then betrayed the black orks again because they looked like they were going to loose. That just shows how treacherous they are.

How is that different from any other greenskin?
They literally only rise in society by backstabbing.

Because steadfast benefited units of 50 over smaller units and some armies like Empire kind of need it to make foot core work.

Orcs will generally fight it out, it's Goblins that back-stab. But Orcs will usually unite against an outside enemy, the Hobgobs betrayed their own kind.

But now they've put themselves entirely in the Chaos Dwarves good graces for survival, since the Orcs and Goblins will no longer trust them. The Chaos Dwarves recognize that this makes them if not trustworthy more controllable and give them relatively cushy jobs to help make sure the hobgoblins stay under their thumb.

A fights a fight though. Why should it matter otherwise?

>setting is overly generic shit
haven't read a single line from it and I'm not interested. I just read old warhammer stuff and pretend that's my setting still.

What's wrong with fielding giant blocks of 40+ infantry regiments? Yeah it's expensive and time consuming but it's also fun.

1) It should be a way to play, not THE way to win.
2) Some armies and units are not good at it, making those armies underpowered and those units a shit option.
3) Hard counters fuck you harder since everyone knows its coming.

Who's complaining? I love that shit.

It killed Fantasy.

I doubt they're in the CD good books, never trust a traitor is most peoples motto.

you can field hobgoblins as chaos dwarves, so i'd say they're okay with em

Lack of attention killed Fantasy.

If TWW came out six years ago, Fantasy would be booming.

>TWW
The Walking Woodelves?

Total War: Warhammer

Total War: Warhammer

Pretty much everyone hates them.

Ah yes. I haven't played it myself so getting around the fact that it's not called TW:W makes my brain go no-no

Lack of attention was down to a diminishing player base, that player base diminishing was down to cost of entry and the generally mediocre to bad rules.

Better to be Hobgoblin than Nobgoblin eh lads?

nothing to do with 0 marketing
suur

Well 40K didn't have much marketing and it didn't fail, flames of war didn't and it didn't fail, bolt action, lord of the rings etc etc. have had the same treatment and haven't failed.

The difference is that 1 box of space marines, tanks, US airborne or Gondor troops is enough to count as a compulsory choice. In Fantasy it was 5 boxes of troops and even then that probably wouldn't cover the 25% core tax.

>player base diminishing was down to cost of entry and the generally mediocre to bad rules.
That didn't hurt 40k which is FAR worse in both regards.

wtf

How? You don't need a block of 50 space marines to play 40K?

Actually, LotR did fail when they lost hype from Peter Jackson movies being fresh, AKA marketing.

That's why it dropped off until Hobbit movies started coming out.

40k has recieved nonstop promotion over the years from a real life heavy metal band writing fuckloads of songs about it to an unending stream of decent vidya. Compare to Fantasy which only got two obscure 90's games and a shitty WoW clone that died quickly.

...are you seriously implying a few autistic bands have kept 40K afloat? Nothing to do with the fact that a £50 box is a starter army for 40K and a £50 box for Fantasy might be half your core if you're lucky?

Plus SBG is making a resurgence now.

You also don't need more than a starter set and two kits to play Fantasy.

Except you really fucking do, because nobody plays small games and the stuff you need to win costs as much as a next gen console or two when you're done.

40k is worse because it has an addon game meant for thousand dollar investments.

Good luck winning a tourney with your $50 starter.

At least the Fantasy starter is 50% of a decent army. Throw in a monster and you're good.

Also, fuck yourself in the ass with a Baneblade for talking shit about Bolt Thrower.

I prefer the state of lotr prior to the Hobbit. I hope Forge World can un fuck it up, or at least not make it worse.
That is if they're even making that mythical middle-earth sbg.

They should have finished the models from Legions.
Where is queen Beruthiel, the Beornings, the pathfinders, Helm Hammerhand, or the werewolves?

I'm not talking about being competitive I'm talking about a descent army to start playing with. If you turn up with 500 points of space marines you can get a game, if you turn up with 10 sea guard and 10 swordmasters that's not even a legal army. The Skaven side of IoB was lucky to be 400 points even if you maxed out on every upgrade.

Longtime 40k player here
Where do I get started with WF? I kind of want to play Death, but idk how id even start