/hhg/ - Horus Heresy General

Rolled 8 (1d20)

Mechanicum and Solar Auxillia and Custodes Oh My! edition.
S l o w m o t h r e a d s u b e d i t i o n.

In the thread before this one () picture of various mastercrafted machanicum miniatures were posted, as was the ordo reductor for beginners guide. Turns out everyone has exactly 90 custodes. user posted the fakest story ever about his trip the FLGS and another accidentally stole some guys codex.

>Thread FAQ
pastebin.com/iUqNrrA8

>Official HH 7th Edition Errata (not updated since January 2016)
forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf

>30k TACTICA & TIPS
What to include in a HH list, how to format it, what makes each legion special (crunch), tactics, Tutorials for Heresy-era minis and more
pastebin.com/Tm2P4QLp

>HH Books, Novels and Rulebooks galore
pastebin.com/k9uvqsub
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2Ffz1OuHK%2Fcrusade-imperialis-army-lists.pdf.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2FZTK72gs%2Flegiones-astartes-age-of-darkness-army-list.pdf.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmega.nz%2F%23F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg

>/HHG/'s Legion demographics
strawpoll.me/10558764

>/HHG/'s allegiances
www.strawpoll.me/10663447

>Primarch Popularity Poll
strawpoll.me/11458318

>STUFF ANONS ASK FOR
www49.zippyshare.com/v/aYWlVV9f/file.html
www32.zippyshare.com/v/heDZWytT/file.html

>Crimson King
www38.zippyshare.com/v/hT9jpwsK/file.html

>NEW Mega Folder
mega.nz/#F!gaBiVTKI!HTOuNx5zzNxHqT-ny-AU3A

>not decimating yourself

Curze did nothing wrong

Rolled 7 (1d10)

Check em

Can one man be decimated? Surely you'd need ten.

Just remove 1/10 of him.

Rolled 8 (1d10)

Can't argue with dubs.
Calling it that 1s are ded, 10s are alright..

REEEEEE IMPERIAL FISTS OUT.

One finger one toe one rib and one eyebrow hair
Of course only the strong survive my battle brother

If you want to go for PROPER decimation, you need a way for a man to randomly select specific parts of his body and beat on tenth of himself to death.

Want to start painting my Night Lords, how does /hhg/ motivate themselves to get started?

Jokes on you I'm the loyalist shard of Pertubao who killed his men willingly as he foresaw the heresy but knew no man would believe him, and thus weakened the traitor forces.
Oh yes only clubs no swords

Do we have any pictorial representation of what the Butcher's Nails looked like when implanted? If you looked at someone's head, what would be visible? Surely they can't all have cable dreads like Angron's, right?

By reading about them in The Horus Heresy Series and getting psyked up but of course that doesn't work with NL because they lose even when they outnumber 1 million to 1

>how does /hhg/ motivate themselves to get started?
I hold audiobooks ransom from myself. If I want to know what happens next I need to paint. Working through Heinlein right now.

Nope, I think it's supposed to be like a crab that stabs the brain if it shows the wrong emotions, so happiness scars over and anger is constantly activated
if Angron fought to remove the nails pain why didn't he just kill himself

Why does he wear the mask?

Going by Kharn's model it seems like all of them actually do have cables sticking out of their skulls.

Angron is a lot of things but he ain't no quitter.

Which is why he refused all medical help to deal with the nails to die faster until Erebus came up with this great idea to make him a daemon and kill all the crew

The fact that their called "nails" makes me think that they're actual functional components are relatively thin spikes of circuitry jammed into the subjects cranium. Maybe Angron's primach skull was so big and meaty they gave him the super-delux version so he's got a bazillion live-wires supercharging the angry juice part of his brain.

Angron was given the actual dark age of technology version, his underlings were given copies
Have you even read betrayer

I'm considering doing up my White Scars in a shiny white like the cyan/red of the Alpha Legion and Thousand Sons respectively. What's the best way to go about doing this? I know about tamiya clear over metallic but they don't have clear white paint.

>Which is why he refused all medical help to deal with the nails
Clearly not all help considering the Emperor was fucking around with his head in MoM and concluded it was hopeless. Also you can't really blame Angron for poor decision making when he has a device that stabs him in the brain whenever he isn't furious.

Yeh they have become mustache twirling villains in the books. I'll find prince of crows audio book and try and get fired up for it.
I think part of it is knowing I have a 3k list to paint up but if I break it up into squads it should be more manageable.

>Was initially going to start Salamanders
>Love them but they weren't at Terra
>Didn't want to paint red and BA are only ok to me
>FUUUUUCK painting white but I love WS
>Oh you used to play Lamenters how bad can IF be?
>Love IF to death
>Wait to buy stuff because I'm working on Custodes
>GF buys me BaC and BoP for my birthday in May
>Uh oh
>Fast forward to now
>Have 5.5k of HH IF built
>Only 6 models painted as Custodes take priority for me

Why did I do this to myself. I knew better.

>he doesn't want 5k poInts of each legion
How else are you suppiused to figure out which legion is best

I have no idea where you'd even begin with an iridescent pearl color. Definitely not going to be a GW color though.

Well, you can immediately discount Word Bearers, Night Lords and Thousand Wrongs, so you only need a 5k army of 15 legions.

A white pearl is probably your best bet (and wouldn't need a metallic base, you'd want to prime white (or very light grey) though, most pearlescent paints have low coverage.

As for what brands have that colour.

Schmincke has a whole line of pearls that will stay white over a white base, but give a slight glow in another colour depending on what you select.
Createx Wicked Pearl White is another option, as it's a nice pearl/metallic white.
Inspire Silver Pearl is also an option.

Keep in mind, these are all airbrush paints, not sure how they'll respond to being applied with a brush.

Daler Rowney Silver Pearl could also work, this is an acrylic ink, so it should be fine to apply with a brush, though airbrush is probably easier.

Loyalfag detected

Anyone got any homebrew rules for Thunder Warriors?

Toughness 5 maybe, 2 attacks, Rage and "Unstable" rule.

"Unstable" would be roll a D6 at the end of each turn, on a 6 the model suffers a wound, no saves allowed. Fits the background in my opinion.

There is nothing wrong with being a loyalist.
Chymeriae blackshields.

Thunder Warriors are a meme, do S5 T5 black shields using primaris marines like everyone else and shut up about it.

I like the idea of using Blackshields.

>I like the idea of using Blackshields.
Unsurprising, considering S/T5 blackshields are also a meme.

Meme in a meme, I like it.

FW Resin Cataphractii are far superior to GW plastic Cataphractii.

the difference in detail is staggering.

Trying to make alternatives for the praesidium shields my Haeteroi get.
Which version do you guys prefer? The (still unassembled) compact version with the angled wings or the wide one with the spread wings? Or should I just suck it up and use the standard version?

What did chain axes do again, was it +1 Strength and AP4?

I really like those two but you need to stay shields maybe the middle one if you add little more wing to be a shield

The one on the right just looks depressed.

Used to be nothing
Then +strength
Then +stnregth AP4
I think 8th ed went back to normal CCW

The bare Berzerker head has them. They look much like any other wires shoved into a marine's brain.

I see, thanks!

>Jokes on you I'm the loyalist shard of Pertubao who killed his men willingly as he foresaw the heresy but knew no man would believe him, and thus weakened the traitor forces.
Fucking keked. The current state of BL means this is an actual possibility.

If I attach an independent character with outflank to a squad, does the whole squad gain outflank?

Fun thing about priming IWs is that you can't easily tell when you've got enough primer on.
Really happy the paint isn't as thick as when I did some CSMs years ago, but it does look like still 1.5 primer coats than the normal 2.
Anyone got the battle of prospero paint guide for IW

*The normal 1
How well do washes work on vechiles

>How well do washes work on vechiles
need to be more focussed with them in my experience. Just painting the whole model in them gets patchy fast, but specifically in the nooks and crannies works just fine.

Read book.

The calth dreadnought, as the normal IW paint order is a metal and then 2-3 washes of the black and brown wash

Not sure, would be easy to do with an airbrush I imagine, but with a brush the high surface tension of the wash (that usually helps you) works against you, creating pools on the large flat surfaces, perhaps other Anons have a way to make that work?

> they're just my version of true scale mk4 armour mate.

It's coming anons. Primaris everywhere in 30k.

That pic is just a comparison of the helmets, not intended as a conversion.

It depends on what you mean. If you're intending to do like a filter-type wash on a large flat panel, they probably wouldn't work very well (and I'd recommend using a glaze instead). If it's a pin-wash you're looking to do, it works just as well on a vehicle as anything else.

MkX looks so different from mk4, I'm not worried too much.

Also, at my store I play against Aliens 90% of the time, and I'm nore worried about them preferring babby 8th over 7th.

Honestly, I don't see the issue, especially for Blackshields.

Kek it looks workable, only the chest and legs need to be replaced but besides those it's the same thing. :^)

Probably the rest of the armour being non-existent during the setting of the game, as well as armies of 9 feet tall marines not being exactly all that common either.
But whatevs, people gonna play what they want. If a poorfag army of Big Guys is your dream, go build your dream.

Problem is if you replaced the legs and the torso, the arms would be too long and the backpack too large, so they'd have to be replaced too, but apart from that I agree.

Now that Custodes have been playable for a while, have people worked out the good strategies to beat them? I've been thinking about starting them as my loyalist army.

>mfw

>poorfag
have fun with your manlets friendo, you can even see how much better of a sculpt that plastic primaris is compared to the mk4 marine.

There's no need to get upset about something that's factually accurate and causes no harm. Go live your dream of 9 foot tall black superhumans in gear and weapons from 10,000 years in the future, user, with my heartfelt blessing. Having a vision is a beautiful thing.

You should ensure to build over 90 of them, and get 4 grav tanks. That way you'll be the best Custodes player. And once you get started posting your unpainted plastic, give yourself a wacky name but don't actually type it in the namefield, because it's important the rest of us always know who you are when you post.
Just don't buy a dreadnought if you have any transgender friends.

Oh yeah, make sure to create made up stories about how the manager totally gave you %100$ for being such an upstanding person for transgender right.

Posts like this make me proud I play talons as an allied detachment the way the Bligh-Emperor intended.

I'm fairly new to 30k and have been building a thousand sons force slowly for a while now. Here's a starting list I have, I only have the Prospero box, an extra tartaros set, the vehicles, and the dreadnought. I'm planning on getting a set of 10 khenatai blades and Amon to use as a Praetor stand-in to fill this out.

Its a bit low on AT, but I've been told the list is fairly solid? If elite. I believe everything here is correct and legal. Suggestions are needed, especially for loadouts and future purchases.

3,000 points Thousand Sons
Pride of the Legion
>Azhek Ahriman (Warlord)
Corvidae (Divination)
>Legion Praetor
Pavoni (Biomancy)
ML3
Arcane Litanies
Artificer Armor
Iron Halo
Asphyx Shells
Bolt Pistol
Master crafted Force sword
Digital Lasers

>Khenatai Blades
Pavoni
8+Blademaster w/AA
>Land Raider Phobos
Armored Ceramite
Dozer Blade
Auxiliary drive
Extra Armor
>Legion Contemptor Dreadnought
Twin linked Volkite Culverin
Power Fist with twin linked bolter

>Legion Tartaros Terminator squad
Raptor (telekinesis)
4+sergeant
Twin linked bolters and powerfists
Brotherhood of Psykers ML1
Asphyx Shells
>Legion Tartaros Terminator squad
Raptor (telekinesis)
4+sergeant
Twin lightning claws
>Legion Veteran Squad
Corvidae
9+sergeant with AA/powersword
10 bolters
Asphyx Shells
Tactics: Marksmen
>Legion Rhino
Dozer Blade
Havoc Launcher
>Legion Veteran Squad
Corvidae
10 bolters
Asphyx Shells
>Legion Rhino
Dozer Blade
Havoc Launcher
>Legion Veteran Squad
Corvidae
10 bolters
Asphyx Shells
>Legion Rhino
Dozer Blade
Havoc Launcher

>Predator Squadron
Lascannon sponsons
Plasma turret
Machine Spirit
>Predator Squadron
Lascannon sponsons
Plasma turret
Machine spirit

>>Legion Praetor
>Pavoni (Biomancy)
>ML3
>Arcane Litanies
>Artificer Armor
>Iron Halo
>Asphyx Shells
>Bolt Pistol
>Master crafted Force sword
>Digital Lasers
Sweet Emperor my eyes, learn to format your shit.

Go back to the 40k

I run a Corvidae Pride 1KSons list. Personally, I don't like this list. It's not bad but it smacks of not really committing.

You're taking the ML3 Biomancer Praetor just to have a beatstick. The Blades don't need him to do damage, and using such an expensive and fragile squad as his meatshields is odd. It's a weak deathstar in terms of survivabilty.

While 2 ICs in TS lists is a good idea, taking ML4 army-buffer Ariman and ML3 Beatstick Biomancer is expensive and schizophrenic.

Your Legion Terminators aren't really doing anything that Sekhmet can't.

Predators are a bit meh as a unit choice.

So, you scout 3 vet squads and just fire bolters with them all game. Could be worse as they're TS. Rhinos not hugely helpful if they're not outflanking depending on the terrain of the board.
Meanwhile Biomancer and the Blade Bus roll forward as your deathstar. They'll get focussed on before the Predators and Terminators. The Terminators are just stomping forward with short-range loadouts and a weak power each.
Your army is easy to take apart piece by piece, but you can't keep them together as the Blade Bus needs to be wrecking shit up, and seeing as Blades die like normal marines, you need to commit to an assault with all your guys but your Termies are 12 inches or more behind. Your Preds aren't supporting as they're literally all your anti-armour.
The usual advice if you don't know your local meta is to either build a full fluff fun list and just deal with being tabled sometimes or, at the least, make sure you have anti-armour, anti-air and pie plates.

I was quite harsh but don't be dishearted, it's still a workable list and could fuk up people who aren't rolling heavy.
Do the points comparison on Legion Termies vs Sekhmets at least and see if you can change them out, there's a reason we all say Sekhs are undercosted. Then levitate a squad of them up with your blades and go in together.

Fair point. I like the plastic tartaros more though.

I think FW sculpts are pretty much impossible to beat but goddamn I wish that they would've just upscaled regular marines because I like the size of Primaris a lot more.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the suggestions. I'll look into them.

How is 30k handling 8th Ed?

By dropping it.

judging by how slow the generals are, 30k community is handling it by dying.

It's obviously impossible to increase their scale at this point but I think some of the basic astartes infantry could use a resculpt. MkIV in particular is really showing its age.

>he spends more for less marines
I haven't seen retardation like this since AWG's '""""truscale""""
Anyway it's just new Cadians and catachans we need

>mk4 showing its age m
Does not compute besides the sideways studs

>Legion terminators and predators are meh
Yes, ive been told that, but I have to play with what I've got. Can I just say that my tartare terminators are sekhmet? I dont have a box of 40k 1ksons termies to use or the resin conversion kits.

I was told by the group I joined that the ML3 biomancy praetor is as scary as most primarchs in combat, should I drop him? Or maybe deepstrike him in a combined unit of the 10 terminators? Maybe that would survive better than the khenatai with the 2+/4++. I would drop Ahriman, but to have the divination veteran squads with rerolling snipers I have to have a Corvidae warlord due to legion rules on cult arcana.

I thought the list was pretty fluffy as it stands, several small elite units all with psychic powers. Its as good as I can get without putting another $300 immediately into the force.
Sorry is there a better way to show what all upgrades he takes? He buys a ton as 1ksons, is it better to not show any and just say 'ML3 biomancy beatstick'?

Any new stuff include, any old stuff don't and do it like
>wargear
Chaplain consul, dual lightning claws
Rather than
>centurion
>chaplain
>lightning claw x2

I'm talking about the resin line. I also don't like how squat the plastic MkIVs are. I don't know why they didn't use the good proportions of the Deathwatch and Rubric models.

I don't think we'll getting a whole lot of new Cadians, with Cadia being gone and all. Especially with Cadia being gone for a 100 years in current GW canon.
>they fucked up Armageddon too
So what now? They really want FW to sell more Kriegers I think.

>Sorry is there a better way to show what all upgrades he takes? He buys a ton as 1ksons, is it better to not show any and just say 'ML3 biomancy beatstick'?
Just right it in one line like said
>master-crafted force sword
More expensive and worse than a paragon blade?

I kinda feel for Perty. He had nothing, he grew up believing in democracy and solving things by diplomacy, only to find out he was created to be a warlord and couldn't be anything else.

So he accepts that and goes off to end wars as rapidly as possible, at great cost to his own men. It's his 'thing'. His only 'thing'. He ends sieges.

Then fucking Dorn, golden boy, apple of the Emprah's eye and all-round arse-licking piss-streak comes along and basically goes 'lewl Iron Warriors can't even siege properly'.

I'd be salty too.

maybe he shouldn't have started off his command by executing 1/10th of his legion.

>cadians were well known for being god damn everywhere
>Cadia blows up
>SERIOSULY GUYS THIS IS THE END EVEN CREED DIED
>implying they aren't having massive orgies right now which will summon slasnesh across the imperium

I read a lot of books, a little more specific

They'd just needlessly protracted a war and gotten a huge chunk of the legion killed, as well as devastating the planet, purely for their own pride.

Perturabo was the only Primarch to treat Astartes as the Emperor did; as disposable tools of conquest. They were all scheduled to be Thunder Warrior'd at the end of the Great Crusade anyway.

Cadians are a dying breed though. They are basically space hobos now. Regiments on deployment can't replace their losses without a homeworld to draw from. In due time the "Cadian" in their Regiments names will only be a grim reminder while the actual Regiments will be made up of whomever the Munitorum could get their hands on.

>people ignore the WE getting nailed
>people ignore lorgar making the imperial heralds all about faith
>people ignore guilliman making his own empire and then keeping it and taking marines away from the crusade to do this
>people ignore the lion sending half the legion to garrison caliban and thus losing to the NL of all legions
>people still fixate on pertuabo applying his culture

This their command was useless, then look how successful they were at fighting the African American Supreme Court of justice

>He had nothing
He had at least one planet, a 10km flagship filled with servants who had no purpose in life other than to serve him and 150,000 supersoldiers who would drag themselves across broken glass, flat on their fronts with their flies unzipped if he asked.
No Primarch "had nothing".

That's just what this general does in between black books. Wait until Angelus comes out and we have 8-9 threads in a day.

BRB.

I doubt Cadian regiments are self-perpetuating otherwise there'd be nothing Cadians in the Imperium.

Cadia was the main source of Cadians, female soldiers in line regiments aren't going to be producing tens of kids each to pick up the shortfall.

If they took a good number of Cadian regiments and settled them on a new world where they could marry off and pop out kids, sure, their population might recover, but as it is, it looks like they probably just shunted them straight into the 100 year Indominitus Crusade. Cadians are likely an endangered species now.

Angron didn't even have a knot to remember his brothers by

>African American Supreme Court of justice

wat

>Can I just say that my tartare terminators are sekhmet?
Yes, until people you play with get annoyed or you feel too much shame. A sekhmet is just a terminator with a force weapon. You don't have to get the FW models or 40K Rubrics. Look at their wargear rules and see if you can make some from your collection.
There's nothing really wrong with your list, it's just not my way of playing, so don't worry about it.
I think a Biomancer (who can indeed be deadly if rolled well) with Blades is an expensive and fragile deathstar compared to the types of ones you will see the enemy field. The Blades and the Praetor can both delete entire units by themselves, so doubling them up is just making your elite assault unit into meatshields.
I say play with your list and see how you feel. You might want to replace the Blades with a lower points cost squad at some point for your Biomancer to lead, or upgrade the Biomancer to Termie armour and put him with a Sekhmet squad. Your list is fine.

>Engineered to transhuman levels to be rulers and leaders
>Hurrr he should have just been happy being better than a burger flipper!

kys

>They were all scheduled to be Thunder Warrior'd at the end of the Great Crusade anyway.
the likes of the Iron Warriors, Death Guard, Night Lords and World Eaters perhaps, but not Legions like the Ultramarines or Blood Angels, their Primarchs made sure their Warriors had a purpose and ability beyond war.

to paraphrase Roboute
"You are the best at war because you are the best at everything, one day the crusade will be over and you will use your talents for the good of humanity" or something along that line.

It was the short sightedness and folly of many Primarchs that made them dread Peace. They worried what would become of them after the Crusade, but didn't realize that their very own actions made them unfit for peace.