Level up

>level up
>get better at fighting
>don't get better at roleplaying

Huh.

>ever having rules for roleplaying
if your RPG of choice does this it's shit

Wait, you've been getting better at fighting by leveling up in-game? What system are you playing? I tried Dark Dungeons but it never actually taught me any magic, so I'm in the market for something new.

When did you realise role-playing games were garbage?

>Roll a dice to kill the orc/mobster/alien
>Could be outside having real adventures

When did you realize "When did you realize D&D was garbage?" threads were garbage?

>Second or third thread
>When it dawns to you that someone somewhere out there is really bitter for some reason

If I tried to kill people in real life I'd get arrested.

Git gud

Join the army

He's talking about LARP you ginormous toad

>When did you realize D&D was garbage?

3rd edition

I didn't.

when it breaks unless you have a good gm to put bandaids on the shitty system

unless you're playing 4e, but who the fuck plays 4e for anything but combat

>running across the field throwing a purple ball at someone shouting "lightning bolt" then hit my Friend with a styrofoam rod until one of us cries

>Not having thieves tools irl.

>When recruitment officers get this desperate
Try /k/ or /pol/, you'll have better chances there

This

>Roll "incredibly good" according to my GM
>Ask for a character that is good at brawling, a pugilist of some kind
>Gives me class called brawler
>GM can't stop saying how stronk and powerful my char is
>Never see that reflected in game
>Always get my shit beat out of me
>Always unconscious
>Magus and Oracle doing everything like is ultra easy mode
>Druid is having a cakewalk
When your total bonus is 10 points higher than the next player and he's not having a problem at all but you can't do shit, you know the system is shit. Never went back to D&D

You can't be arrested if you kill people while LARPing? Cool.

>running across the field throwing an indian-rubber ball at someone shouting "fuck you" then hit my Friend with a crosse until one of us cries

Lacrosse is a skirmish game.

The army is nothing but Veeky Forums faggots.

Some of my best DH and D&D days.

Shut up, you know what I meant you ginormous toad

>Your GM not explaining the tier system to you
>Expecting a strong guy who punches things to be on the same level as spellcasters who can warp reality.

That's the fun part though

>level up
how is this in any way related to just DnD
almost every game in existence features some form of progression
if not through levels, then through some other form of Xp gate, that doesnt give you levels but is similar in concept

as for getting better at roleplay, it really doesnt matter what system you use, either get better players, or communicate with the ones you have to see what the problem is

saged, since people are apparently dumb enough to bump this, and it would be the height of immaturity to make a "when did you realize OPs system is garbage thread"

>I'm going to fight so I can get better roles when I talk
fuck off

>Not understanding the purpose of abstracted game mechanics.

But user, duels are decided by the better banter.

>I want to play a video game, not roleplay

It's got a better skill system than both 5e and 3.5, for starters.

if that was the case it'd be okay, but it's not the case so it's not okay

Found the filthy casual.

What, why do you think my bard gets CHA to his weapon attacks?

>keep spamming the same thread
>don't get better at shitposting

Really makes you think.

Come up with better insults, scrublord.

Because we're only allowed to bitch about D&D, every other system is objectively fun and flawless.

Was my first time playing D&D

>has a shit DM
>has a bad time
>blames it on the system

Sometime around when I started pathfinder, I started to comprehend what a waste of time all this optimization business was.

It didn't really sink in until I had tried 5e and some truly non-dnd games.

>Class A is way worse than class B even if you have 5 times better stats
>GM is to blame

Fuck you, mate.
Politely though.

4th is a blank enough slate you can reskin it in a million ways. I've run it as mechs, as sci fi, as high fantasy, as more or less modern, all with only minor tweaking. The rp and everything else, thats on the DM, it's their job to enforce rp and story.
>Dont you start with that 4th is shit bc no rp
Thats on you.

Alright anons

What's a good high fantasy system that isn't DnD, because I actually am tired of it.

Tired of what? setting? mechanics?

Mechanics.

It just feels like there's so many tiny things that I dislike about 5e. As a whole it seems like it should be fine, but they just fucked up a lot of small bits that add up.

I found that trying out Dungeon World (a derivative of the 'Savage Worlds' generic system) helped shake me out of some of the rules-constructs that dnd had burned into my mind. It has its flaws, but it helped me realize that there were different, often better ways of doing things.

You could also have a gander at some OSR systems. They're like pre-3rd dnd, embracing a fundamentally different rules philosophy that I found refreshing. And don't let the old school style fool you either, many of these games and houserules were relatively recent additions. Also the modular nature of the movement's games means you can hack together bits you like and discard the ones you don't.

>doesn't need to get better because it works every time

when did you realize Veeky Forums is garbage

When it became impossible to have a discussion about 3.5 outside of /pfg/ that didn't get derailed because of one single faggot.

Late 80's when I discovered other systems that didn't have classes, levels, or alignments. Stuck with it out of momentum until '92, at which point I discovered GURPS and never looked back (I eventually grew weary of GURPS as well, but I would go back to it before I ever considered going back to any variety of D&D).

You made this exact same thread last night.

Come, everyone. Let us laugh at how much of a faggot OP is.

GURPS

I don't understand what you mean by this.

Speak for yourself. My character has 12 skill ranks in roleplaying, and my character's character has 5 ranks!

>Come, everyone. Let us laugh at how much of a faggot OP is.

Why? This thread clearly proves that it's a working strategy. If at first you don't suggeed, just remake the thread - guaranteed replies!

>thread fails yesterday
>remake it word for word

>Dungeon World (a derivative of the 'Savage Words' generic system)

Uh. What?

It just goes to show that unless the mods ban him, he'll never stop. I wouldn't be surprised if half the replies in this thread were just him and his three friends.

The only games to prominently feature levels are DnD and derivatives.

All role playing games are derivatives of D&D.

Jokes on you, I have four friends.

And curiously, the most successful RPGs are D&D and derivatives.

COINCIDENCE?!

>he'll never stop

I've been on Veeky Forums since there very beginning. It feels that way with every shitposter, but eventually they grow bored of it.

God I remember when I never thought I'd see the end of flare spam.

No, the mods just stop playing around, delete their posts, and ban them on sight. That's the only thing that ever makes trolls like these give up.

K munchkin.

Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!

Lol. For most of its existence, Veeky Forums didn't have much moderation to speak of. There was a small handful of instances where a troll got banned (Jim Profit and Virtual Optim are the only that come to mind, actually, and using Anymouse's name became an autoban offense for a while) and for the most part they just get sick of it.

Savage Worlds is a generic system that can be used for multiple genres. Dungeon World is a specialized fantasy version of it.

>For most of its existence, Veeky Forums didn't have much moderation to speak of.

Only for the first four or so years. After that, we've had plenty of repeat trolls, and the only thing that made them stop was their threads getting deleted and them getting banned. Basically, the only cure for autism and obsession seems to be contacting the moderators and getting them to take action. It's a bit harder when they're anonymous like OP, but it's not really that hard to just delete these threads and ban whoever makes or bumps them.

You're thinking of Apocalypse World, not Savage Worlds.

Savage Worlds has nothing to do with this line.

Lvl 2 character should have power level 2

lvl 10 power level should have power level 10

doesn't matte what the characters do.

Example from fiction: Every anime girl ever can toe-duel a mage of her power level using physical attacks

Hercules, grey mauser, Fahfard, conan, etc have similar power level to (and in fact singlehandedly defeat) mages in their respective mythos.

>Lvl 2 character should have power level 2

I don't disagree that this is the ideal, but it's unfortunately not the reality of 3.PF.

A 3.PF DM should be aware of the Tier system and ensure that everyone is playing in either the Tier 1-2 range; the Tier 3-4 range (ideal in my opinion); or the Tier 5-6 range.

She's so qt

>Is not the systems fault, is the GMs for not knowing the system is flawed

No, it totally is the system's fault, I don't disagree with that. It's nevertheless still possible to have a fun and balanced game, you just need to make sure that all classes are within a tier of each other.

And with 3.PF having existed for 17 years now, there's really no reason why a DM shouldn't be aware of its flaws.

*"Balanced" in the sense that a player of each class will still be able to have fun and contribute.

D&D, 3.5/PF especially break their classes into tiers. Within each tier and one level above or below classes are roughly similar in power level by level.

This allows a wide variety of classes and power levels that lets you run games that range from superheroic to gritty.

There's no excuse for any GM now to not understand this and run his games accordingly.

That's just how the system works if you don't like it don't play it but at least bother to understand it.

Your insults are as weak as a peacock's stride on a midnight winter snowstorm while it's wearing your mother's pantaloons! I have seen children with more of a passionate tone throwing more venomous and vile insults while merely pretending to be as stupid as you are right now, while they are on Cross-Chest Alive!

i'm going the opposite route as Ive found the best way to balance the game is to randomize as much as possible.

>Players don't level their classes in a linear fashion but rather expend XP to level up specific areas such as HP, spellcasting, or saving throws.
>They gamble their XP expenditure. For example a ranger would have to roll 2 or higher on a d10 to increase his HP or reflex save, but roll a 6 or higher on a d8 to increase his spellcasting.
>In essence players have more options to build their character how they'd like, but they take a lot of gambles on wasting XP and don't level up at the same time so to speak taking a play from 1st and 2cd edition.

Except the System itself doesn't present that new information, which means you're relying on all the work other people have done figuring this out in order to try and patch the game into something playable.

So, at best, you're trying to act like your small complaint that people navigate around is enough to spend every day shitposting about how upset you are about other people playing a game you dislike?

Help me out. What's your favorite game.

>There's no excuse for any GM now to not understand this
I wish this was the truth, 3.5 is perfectly fucking playable when you have Warblades and Psionic Warriors and Binders in the same party, but there are sooooooo many dumb fuckers who don't know what they're doing, ignore things like the tier list, then act surprised when the game upends itself in front of them.

>2017
>Not knowing how the internet works

I had problems with many of the mechanics in D&D even before I had ever played D&D. It wasn't so much that I realized that it sucked as trying it only confirmed to me that, yes, it is indeed just as bad as I thought it was.

Some people just want to play a fighter and a wizard in the same party a they did way back in the old editions of D&D.

Depends on what you mean by high fantasy and what you want. BRP and GURPS are both generic systems which can handle high fantasy. Of the two, BRP is the simpler one but might also require a bit of tweaking to function for high fantasy as the default is pretty gritty and deadly.

If you want a more cinematic experience that's not as focused on combat you've also got Fate and Hillfolk which are more narratively driven systems with a lot of player input on the setting.

Burning Wheel falls somewhere in between.

>if your DM doesn't sink a bunch of hours into reading blogposts about how to fix the fundamentally broken aspects of the system before ever attempting to run the game then he's a shit DM
How much can a system get away with before you guys will admit it's got issues?

The edition where that gap was intentionally widened due to shitty design and then WotC made a bunch of replacement classes once they pulled their heads out of their asses is not the edition to do that in.

>level up
>monsters suddenly get tougher, nullifying your gains into a stupid attrition treadmill
>when did you realize every rpg was garbage

Of course it isn't, but no one knows that from the start. None of 3.PF ever comes clean with the issue - in fact they occaionally keep arguing the opposite, at the very least with all those "iconic" characters having just the sort of adventures with fighters and wizards side by side.

What the fuck are you supposed to make out of that? When the system just flat-out fails to do what everyone involved made it for, and claims it is for, then how can you make any kind of an excuse for that system to be any way good?

Can you name a system that doesn't have issues?

Hey. What's your favorite system.

Hey you.

What's your favorite system.

AD&D.

I mean, I'm sure a lot of DMs handle it that way, but I just populate my world with leveled stuff and leave it as is no matter what the players are. If the spooky forest has a level 15 monster in it and the group is level 3, it's on them if they decide to go after it and get fucked up.

>When the system just flat-out fails to do what everyone involved made it for, and claims it is for, then how can you make any kind of an excuse for that system to be any way good?

I think you're best not throwing stones when sitting in a house of glass then.

>Not playing a rogue

>all systems have the same amount of issues and all issues are equal
Please stop.

Hey now, if 3.PF is the glass house in this scenario, then AD&D at least has decent sturdy wooden walls to support it. Maybe with pretty big windows at most.

What's your favorite system.

Not relevant no matter how much you want it to be.

>all this damage control

I guess that's what people herald it as a shining example of clear, concise rules, well developed subsystems of exemplary balance, and useful and not-superfluous at all tables and charts.

Oh, wait. People regard it as an archaic oddity that only grognards cling to and hipsters bother to dust off.

AD&D is just flat-out fails to do what everyone involved made it for, and claims it is for.

Can you put on a trip already?

What's your favorite system though.