ITT: when your friends can't pronounce names right

>'Dude KUH-tan are so overpowered'
> KUH-tan
> KUH-tan
> KUH-tan

C DOES NOT HAVE A 'KUH' SOUND TO IT! C IS PRONOUNCED 'SUH-EE', THE APOSTROPHY DENOTES YOU WOULD CUT THE 'EEEE' PART OFF, ERGO 'SUH-TAN', OR 'SATAN'. I leave it to you unintelligible fucks to not get a wordplay joke that's over 20 years old!

I wish I was legally allowed to flay you fucking idiots and wear your skin!!

Other urls found in this thread:

enchantedlearning.com/phonetic/k.shtml
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Could be worse, like all my idiot friends who think that latin (or in this case pseudolatin) c's are ever soft.

If I have to hear about somebody's "sestus" assault ram Ill turn inside out.

enchantedlearning.com/phonetic/k.shtml

pronouncing the 'g' in Waaagh!

pronouncing Aeldari or Aelfs as "ayeldari or ayelfs"
when the 'ae' actually makes an 'eee' sound. So it's actually "eeldari or eelfs"

Well now that I know it annoys you so much, I'm going to keep pronouncing it kuh-tan.

You have to admit that Church Latin sounds better than actual Latin at times.

Like, "veni vidi vici".

Church Latin: "veh-nee vee-dee vee-chee". I imagine a proud and noble Caesar standing triumphant over the Gauls.

Actual Latin: "weh-nee wee-dee wee-kee". I imagine a fat drunk man in a toga raising an overflowing wine cup who should have instead said "veni vedi reliqui".

Oops, looks like OP was retarded

so it's "kestus"?

or he thinks it's pronounced 'shestus', which either is bullshit.

It's an alternate spelling to 'cestus', which is pronounced 'sestus'. GW just likes to put the a in front of e's on occasion to make the spelling look cool. If anything it's pronounced 'seestus' because the ae makes an ee sound, like explained here

This kind of thing is why I use a standardized phonetic alphabet with consistent diacritics in all of my worldbuilding.

How do you pronounce Catan? Or Catachan?

Cuck any good kock lately OP?

catachan is pronounced different that most people do.

The meme here on tg and a lot of places, it's 'kata-chan', but really its pronounced 'kuh-tash-an'

Their world is 'kuh-tash'

Wrong. It's See-a-tashan.

i pronounce C'Tan the same way i pronounce Chtulhu
if you want to pronounce your "c" like the word "certainly" you can use this wonderful letter: "รง"

Guilliman.

Macragge

Who says it's pronounced this way ktan seems a more logical pronunciation.

Stop being a cunt. You can get a "k" sound out of the letter c. I don't care to appease your autism.

I just pronounce it Ktan. Lmao @ Anglos and their eternal pronunciation impairment

Thats the actual word, yes.

No it isn't. It's a variation of the word cestus, which is pronounced with an S

Veeky Forums isnt letting me link the dictionary.com entry for cestus, So look it up

Explain to me how a latin word is pronounced with a soft C, because thats not how latin works.

Explain to me why the way latin works would matter when pronouncing a gothic word

Because its not. Its a latin word derived from the greek kestos, and in both cases it is pronounced with a hard C.

Its origin is latin. But its an english word, which changes the pronunciation.

both dictionary.com and oxford dictionary say it's pronounced with an S sound. There is no entry anywhere for 'caestus'. It's another GW muh-copyright name.

Gully man

Mac Rage

Except that the way words are pronounced change over time. Cetus may have originated in Latin, but it's an English word now and so is pronounced "sehs-tuhs".

Compare how Caesar in Latin is pronounced "kai-sahr" (C is always hard, AE makes an "eye" sound, S is always an S and never a Z, and it's AR, nor ER) but in all modern Romance languages and English is pronounced "see-zer".

I guess the difference is in where you draw the line and something becomes a loanword. I assumed that cestus, regardless of pronunciation was never used in english. Just because something is technically a loanword doesnt mean that you can justify mispronunciation. By that logic any latin word pronounced incorrectly is merely an english word. The case for Caesar is separate because thats actually a word thats used fairly often, and as such is actually part of english lexicon. I was unaware that such a throwaway latin term as 'cestus' had officially entered english as a loan-word.

My bad.

Cestus is used in English, though it has become somewhat archaic and isn't commonly used today. Go back a couple-three centuries and you'll probably encounter it a bit more often.

> By that logic any latin word pronounced incorrectly is merely an english word

It's not merely that the word is mispronounced, it's that the mispronunciation in the language is the accepted way to say it in the language by the overwhelming majority of its speakers. We say "see-zer" because over time and osmosis every English speaker just sort of subconsciously agreed that that's how it should be pronounced in English. And the same thing happened with cestus - amusingly, probably by following the subconscious example set by Caesar (it's also why we call the constellation Cetus "See-tuhs" and not "Keh-toos").

Then following that example we wrote some dictionaries with pronunciation guides, and it became official.

is it "daymon" or "demon"

deemon

the ae is pronounced with an ee

see

That assumes that there are an overwhelming number of people using the word cestus though, which is my bone of contention. Caesar occupies a different space as well because it is a proper noun. Are there other common nouns in english that are merely alternative pronunciations of latin words?

Actually we pronounce not only the G in Waaagh! but also the H.

Pee suck nigger nigger cock ass shit fuckity Doo poop

Can we talk about how some people pronounce Lich as Lick? Where does that even come from?

Their are some words that end with 'ch' and are pronounced with a hard k. Like Bach. That may confuse people.

But yeah, it's pronounced 'lich'

>I wish I was legally allowed to flay you fucking idiots and wear your skin!!
Get a load of the flayed one over here.

oops

No, it's pronounced as "Bakh"

Clearly you're collaborating with cunts.