EDH/Commander General

"The Hour is Almost Upon Us" Edtion

Last Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
Who's first target tonight?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-06-17-scarab-god/
mtg.gamepedia.com/Alternate-win_card
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-06-17-GYN-sidisi-reanimator/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tramp-gruul/
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First target has been and always will be Mark.

Any one play Experiment Kraj? What are some win conditions. Got a hold of him and I like his ability, want to build a fun, kinda combo, kind of midrange deck with him.

it's only really good if you can take some advantage of it, like with sen triplets or mindclaw shaman effects

otherwise, it's -1 cards in your deck and your opponents will often assume the worst about your hand if no one else has huge threats

but you can run it for flavor reasons like for an edric deck

wow... I see a lot of "lose the game"/"win the game" cards.

cheap
MTG doesn't scale. It needs to die.

>-1 cards in your deck

i meant hand

lol zurgo

This is my first attempt at building the roach god, how did i do?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-06-17-scarab-god/

Gitgud froppy?

Meh. Why use a bug like that when you could have Magus of the Crucible.

>First target tonight
I honestly don't know.
I mean we got one guy who's pretty new to magic who's using one of my decks so it would be a dick move to target him.
We have another who knows how to play but his deck is easy to stop and isn't very good.
Then the other guy has been playing longer than me, has a decent deck, but he is super chill and cares more about having fun than dominating so he doesn't really deserve to be targeted before we start.

Maybe I'm everyone's target? that would make a lot of sense since I was playing my zedruu group hug deck and everyone still went for me first.

nice quads satan

Yo that card is hype.

I feel like I may actually want to buy it while it's in standard rotation?

It won't get cheaper right? shits nice af.

Is there anyway to make Shu Yun work in multiplayer?

My only deck right now is Jarad that was fairly easy to work into a multiplayer deck, we almost always play 4 player but sometimes only 3.

All the builds I have looked at so far use a bunch of instants and sorceries to try and voltron but I dont think that will go wide enough.

WUR does have a lot of artifact support but I am not sure if that will be abele to knock out anymore than one person before getting killed.

My other thought was just goodstuff for combat and if I cast a noncreature spell I can give a solid beater double strike.

Any thoughts or ideas?

>khans triple with lifegain and no etb tapped

>mana filtering instead of just tapping for colored mana.

Lolnope

>costs 1 to filter

Also, Shards, not Khans.

Exactly. Everyone talks about how Boros colos are so shit in EDH and BUG colors are all overpowered but cards exist that wreck BUG strategies. Omen Machine and Uba Mask gut those decks and have almost no drawback for decks that don't care about counters or draw spells.

As someone who has taken leave of his senses and used Castle Sengir at least once, I like it.

If you really need a second and weaker Titania.

Bit too expensive for my taste. Body is negligable and for one less you get Splendid Reclamation. The Gitgud skeleton list isn't super tight right now but I'd probably pass on this card unless I need to power down my deck.

Except BUG colors have removal for those cards so saying they "wreck" BUG strategies is pretty inaccurate. Most BUG strategies anyway are a shit ton of control elements so thinking you can bone them out of the game with a single artifact, then you're wrong.

Also those cards wreck most strategies, even your own. I've only played Omen Machine in Karn because you're playing mostly permanents that are not timing dependent and card draw is limited in brown.

Noice, it's budget and useful. I would still slot Panorama first though.

There's a 2 mana spell that already does that (and there's Splendid Reclamation) and I don't think Froggy plays it. Maybe because it's an ETB trigger but how are you gonna flicker it on Golgari?

Heard you guys talkin' shit about my format

mtg.gamepedia.com/Alternate-win_card
Only one of them, Laboratory Maniac, is actually cheap.

Obviously I'm not saying it is an instant win or that it is uncounterable and indestructible.

A key part of most control decks though is the ability to find the answers to threats. With Uba Mask or Omen Machine you force every player into topdeck mode and that is absolutely not where a control deck wants to be. Uba Mask means counters are virtually useless and answers cannot be saved to use on the biggest threats. Omen Machine removes any ability to draw extra cards to find answers and gain an advantage. I've played with these cards and seen them countered of course but if it lands then it hurts blue players hard with minimal effect on red or white decks.

Camel tribal will be a thing

>Solitary Camel
There will only be one Camel.

There's at least a zombie camel as well.

man that is one ugly motherfucker

>Who's first target tonight?
Whoever plays the first scary thing, then whoever plays the second, and then the third, and so on. You know, because threat assessment.

Getting serious Venture Bros. vibes here.

And the I have X life so I win cards

How playable in Commander do you guys think the God-Pharaoh really is? Is his obvious strength at dealing with all your foes greater than the obvious target he'll paint on you?

Decent but not as good as Ugin and Karn.

How adept is your playgroup? A once a round Mind's Dilution isn't anything to scoff at but I think seasoned players probably wouldn't let it skew their threat assessment too much. Personally he's too rich for my blood but I have bad luck when it comes to curving out properly.

His +1 is very good in commander, his +2 is better in like cube, although you can get cute with blue cards that put stuff on opponents top deck

I don't think he puts a target on you more than other planeswalkers. He's decent but not competitive playable

What's a good/fun deck with green and creatures in it?

I was looking at my decks and green was really lacking in representation.
What are some suggestions?
I have Hapatra and gitrog in my binder but I'm not sure.

His + abilities are solid and he starts with a healthy fistfull of Loyalty. I'd never use his -4 and never expect to hit Ult, but if he gets there it's gg. If you're in Grixis you could do a lot worse for 7 mana. Sometimes he's going to just come out and wreck with either a lucky (or prepared) +2 into stupidity, or +1 to choke off responses when you have a solid board position.

The fact that he can't come down and immediately remove a permanent unless 7 damage works (and the cost for the 7 damage is huge) means he is kind of win-more. JTMS, Nahiri the Harbinger, and the colorless planeswalkers all answer things better.

His -4 is balanced for a 20 life format and that's a drawback in EDH. The -1 is strong but obviously makes you the target.

>never use his -4

Seems strange, not worth playing a planeswalker if you aren't utilizing their versatility

Sometimes it's the right play to kill a thing

>JTMS answers things better
Jtms is better because it's cheaper and it brainstorms, not because it answers things better with a bounce lol wtf?

You can bounce more creatures than you can kill with 7 damage.

Sure but if you really needed something gone than bouncing doesn't do the trick like 7 damage does

Then**

>Who's first target tonight?
Always me
All of my decks are focused to exactly one thing and that blows craw wurm meta and group hug out of the water

An exaggeration, of course, but it's really seldom going to be worth it. Especially when you're in fucking Grixis, you should have options for slaughtering enemy creatures. Sure every once in a blue moon it's going to be your only recourse to get something off the board that must be got off the board NOW (or clock a player in the dome to remove them from the board), but by in large it's not why you play him, not even close.

Rare from Modern era sets will need to do something amazing to get above 5 bucks.

I would just buy it.

Is building zurgo with worldslayer + boros charm ethical?

It is the only way

I play Kraj and holy fuck is it great. The entire deck is a massive janky Rube Goldberg contraption of a combo.

For win conditions you need to find something to do with infinite mana, and then get the right creatures onto the field with Kraj to make the infinte mana. Stuff like Horseshoe Crab and Pili Pala can untap, while dork that make more than 1 mana get the mana.

Also throw in Rite of Replication and Biovisionary. 100% success rate

Noob question: what's a Craw Wurm meta?

Post 'em.

Currently trying to build the god killer himself, but I'm having trouble finding good red cards to put in.

I've got all the good neg counter creatures and wither goodstuff in it right now, been debating whether or not to make it into an infect deck.

A meta where the dominant strategy is casting Craw Wurm, MAYBE ramping to it. More broadly speaking, it's a meta where vanilla fatties are expected to win the day with fairly linear damage -- like "Battlecruiser magic" but you don't even need good battlecruisers or big spells. Answers are nonexistent. Combo is nonexistent. Fun is nonexistent.; in short, casual timmy to the point of retardation.

Grab some punishment cards from red: Leyline of Punishment, Sulfuric Vortex, that sort of stuff.

>tfw casting Epic Experiment X=15, with Metallurgic Summonings out and hitting a Mind's Desire
Didn't even need Melek

Currently running
>zedruu politics
>Breya artifacts
>atraxa superfriends
>olivia vampire tribal
>brion

currently working on
>nin the pain artist

retired
> yidris
> nekusar

Almost, dude.
Almost.

I've got the same problem. I was putting together a list with the B/G chick from last set but this guy got my interest. The problem is that while the God is a much better card, green has way, way more enablers and payoff cards than red.

That's the biggest issue. I feel like infect would be a good direction to take the scorp god, given that they also apply neg counters when they're blocked, so that's what my list is starting to look like right now.

Hapatra is in better colors by far for this type of deck. Honestly gonna try and build her next.

Or do some crazy Jund neg counter deck with secret partner commanders.

I just need a way to recur Fists of the Demigod and I'm sold on this guy.

What's your opinion on this? Too slow or is the cycling worth it?

It's in a tough spot at the same mana cost as Kodama's Reach and Cultivate. I think it makes the cut in a deck that benefits from cycling or discarding but objectively those cards, Nature's Lore, Thee Visits, Farseek, and Edge of Autumn are still the best in this category.

it's pretty bad unless you explicitly intend to do something special with the cycling

The only thing in those colors that I can find to recur enchantments is Skull of Orm, and it's pretty shitty recursion.

Blowfly infestation + scarab nest seem sweet with him. Those are black cards tho. Everlasting torment maybe?

Thinking of doing a kaseto deck with an infect subtheme, should I focus more on creatures so I can include mana dorks and effects or focus more on pump spells and artifacts?

Kaseto himself pumps and you're in green so you'll ramp a lot and do not have to worry about Kaseto being removed too much you can't recast him so focus on critters. Have a suite of pump spells but a reduced one since Kaseto can do most of the heavy lifting.
How many snakes have infect so you don't need to worry about blockers? I only remember Blight Mamba from the top of my mind.

There are a few, not a whole lot tho. Most humanoid snakes generate mana or have deathtouch

There's an old favorite...

...because it's the best there was at the time.

Who here has a foiled-out deck? I've got one deck that is almost fully foil but it still has about 10 cards (a few hundred dollars) to go.

you got a trample tribal list?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-06-17-GYN-sidisi-reanimator/

Can I get some feedback on my Sidisi deck? I wasn't really sure on how to build it, so it feels thrown together and I'm not sure on what could be replaced. Also, I play on Xmage so budget is not a concern

This should be fairly up to date:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tramp-gruul/

It is a budget deck.

I can't actually foil out any of my decks. I play too many cards from before foils were a concept.

My Rasputin Dreamweaver deck is fully foiled out. Considering buying a Tinetwister to finally finish it. About 10 cards from foiling Hazezon Tamar too, but foil Cradle is pricey.

thx
that's why i'm interested

I'm too much of a deckbuilder. I'd go full awesome versions (Foils, promos, etc.) if I had *one* deck that was my precious and the only one I'd play (or at least my only significant main). Having 10+ decks and always a desire for more new brews, though, it just isn't economical.

Maybe some day I'll find that one deck that just clicks and makes everything else irrelevant. But I doubt it.

How about "pimp" then because my deck has cards that don't exist in foil and Beta is more pimp than any foil.

I'm in the same place with my pimp Kozilek deck that needs a Mishra's Workshop.

Foil Cradle is an insane card. It's on the reserved list though and the foil effect on it is particularly beautiful. Old foils are fantastic while the newer ones are really hit or miss depending on the set. Lorwyn/Shadowmoor are so dark and Avancyn Restored ones seem oversaturated for example.

Anything foil from Urza's or 7th edition is incredibly beautiful.

Mono black demons/goodies and graveyard shenanigans

xiahou dun
though that might be a bit silly

>tfw black gets better control magic than blue

Put Medomai and a bunch of extra combat step effects in that Shu Yun deck and enjoy playing solitare.

Black has always been a good control color.

Radha is down to eight cards, but one is cradle, so fuck me, right? The others aren't too bad, now that I got my Champions Kiki-Jiki foil, but that Cradle is gonna kill my ass.

How does one find a playgroup?
Just go to an LGS in hopes of finding people or social media or something?

yeah just check out your local shops. nine times out of ten there will be a few dudes there with edh decks

i just found out about this card recently and ordered a foil one promptly

Mazirek is a lot of fun.
Newzuri is very creature based.
Reki, the History of Kamigawa legend tribal if you want to surprise your group.

>blue mage interacts with me
>blue mage steal things from my deck, counter my spell and bounce my fatty
>interact with blue mage lands to turn them into elephants HAHA
>blue mage get mad at interaction

why blue mage hyppocrit

How is Thawing Glaciers?

Ok /edhg/, I'm itching for some brewing, but i don't know what to build.
Hook me up with some funky unique commander.
I've already got a Saskia precon, a Tolsmir Wolfblood token deck, an Experiment Kraji that sucks but is tons of fun, a Radha Goblin\Spirits, a pillowfort Michiko Konda and a Rakdos Lord of Big Demons and Not so Threatening Eldrazi.

Because Blue mage is like little baby, never forget

Build Berit the mindslut

bonuspoint of you put emrakul in there

>blue mage
Just tell them NO.

I like the funkyness but not the jam, stealing things isn't my thing.
Thanks for the advice tho.

Sloooow, but not terrible.