Warhammer 40,000 General /40kg/

Will Guilliman prevail? Edition

>GW FAQ (1.1):
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/23/updated-faqs-and-boots-on-the-groundgw-homepage-post-2/

>FW FAQ (1.1):
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/15/new-and-updated-forge-world-faqs-july16gw-homepage-post-2/

>Latest news :
warhammer-community.com

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
>Everything 8th edition in pdf(and epub), SW:A, WIP and BB are here too, no novels.
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA

>Other megas
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA

>WIP Math-hammer doc (Chart-user doing Abaddon's work)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

warhammer-community.com/2017/07/05/codexes-your-questions-answered-july-5gw-homepage-post-2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for being totally normal and loyal humans!

Do we know anything about Marine Assault Squad options from the codex info that has been sussed out? Is it the same as the Index or did they make some changes?

so how are primaris marines being adjusted into chapters? can a primaris Lt or captain hope to get command of a company? did they train like regular marines?

How does the Thunderfire look now that its been recosted and given a stratagem? Is said strategy any good?

So are any of the new Marine relics any good? Most that I've seen look pretty crappy.

Make your mind up about purestrain point costs already. God fucking dammit.

You just get one per army and they replace a piece of wargear right? How much do they cost? The IH one seemed pretty solid as long as it wasn't dramatically more expensive than a power axe/sword.

Explain. I didn't see anything different when I glanced at the FAQ, did they just take out the part about the lower point cost?

They are now at 15 ppm.
Before that 10.
Before that 18.

If I recall correctly you get one for free, can get one or two more by spending CP

how do I stay motivated to work through my backlog when there are so many exciting new models coming out?

Okay, shit. I'll have to slightly revise my list, but that's fine. I'll probably contact my opponent to agree that this FAQ is what we're fighting with, as far as point costs at least. If they update anything else, we'll only take into account rule clarifications and such.

Oh, well if they're free they can't be that bad, can they? All the weapon relics are pretty huge upgrades over a generic power weapon.

I'm forcing myself to paint up specific amounts of stuff (1000 points, 500 points, whatever) before I'm allowed to buy anything new

my backlog under 7th would have been about 4000 points of assorted imperium with another some 3000 points of assorted old chaos models (80% of which would be stripping and repainting, since I either bought them used or painted them when I was 12)

dunno what it is under 8th. I am thinking I should sell off a lot of old models instead of painting them...

>how do I stay motivated to work through my backlog when there are so many exciting new models coming out?
Force yourself to only work on your old models before touching any new models. I've built 4 Dreadnought, 5 Marines, and am working on knocking together 30 Death Company so I won't feel bad building my new Redemptor.
It's just a matter of willpower user. Iron within, Iron without brother.
I got 80 IQ/IG models to build but they're staying on the sprue until the codex comes out. Plus I still need to collect a ton of bits for them before I can build them.

Im 12:1 with my orks so far in 8th

Tabled tyranids today

>Plus I still need to collect a ton of bits for them before I can build them.
oh god I have ten old assault marines but one jump pack went missing

So it seems OOE (who was already good IMO) got a bit of a buff in the new FAQ.
Now he gives himself +1 to hit as well.

10ppm was clearly too cheap.

Basically they realized they fucked up too hard the first time making them way more than Hive Fleet ones after Hive Fleet stealers got all the buffs.

Then they tried to make them the same price but forgot that Hive Fleet stealers have a hidden cost from rending claws that isnt in GSC, so Purestrains ended up cheaper despite getting Cult Ambush.

Now they're in the right spot, I think.

ditto this.

also have children, i have way less disposable income to spend of war dollys now that I'm a father of 2.

If they are free, that would explain the Imperial Fists one.

yeah 15 feels right.

>oh god I have ten old assault marines but one jump pack went missing
I somehow lost the biggest section of track on my first Predator. I still ended up assembling it, but I haven't replaced the bit since luckily no one can see it ingame.
Still irks me though. No idea where it went or even if it came on the sprue in the first place.

Nice. What's your list? What was the opponent running?

Yeah they finally fixed that bullshit. Also he affect Stonecrushers now, which was my last reservation about fielding them. Time to get like 3 of those suckers now and actually have a fair chance of one-shotting Rhinos on the charge.

Does anyone have the fonts for the rulebook? They are DRM mangled and I can't find a way to unmangle them.

Personally I would have split the difference and gone with 14ppm but that could be my bias speaking.

I'd really like to see Acolytes/Metamorphs get a points cut and Metamorphs weapons fixed now so it doesn't feel like a waste of time to field them.

What point levels do you guys play?

Kinda want to have an endgoal.

It used to be that 1850 was the standard. New standard game is 2000, with 1000 being a "small" game and 1500 being a medium game.

Orks op please nerf

I kind of with power levels were more accepted with unit upgrades better factored into them.

eh. on their own that'd probably be fine. but they csn get some good support.

I've been doing horrific thins ambushing 20 with a primus for the reroll and a near by magus for might from beyond.
5 S5 attacks each.

They are. It's called Points and has been around for decades.

It probably means that any relic beyond the first will cost a CP to prevent relics spam

Why is there a new 40kg when the old one hasn't even reached 200

We got any clue as to the new codexes past the Death Guard?

1500 or 2000 is what most games I've seen have been at. 2000 is what you might consider a "full" army, 1500 is sort of a medium/quicker game, and 1000 is a very quick game (with a greater potential for weird balance mismatches if either player techs their list in a weird direction).

1000 is the minimum for good games, although I probably wouldn't play below 1200.

1500 is a totally acceptable limit.

2000 is tournament level standard.

More than that isn't really necessary unless you're just trying to expand your collection to have different options, or the occasional Apocalypse game every few months.

the points are all over the place and every little upgrade is separate and a giant mess

What I mean is if they tune power levels assuming people will take a certain amount of upgrades, essentially baking in the cost of upgrades. This would streamline list building a lot while also addressing the reason a lot of people refuse to play power levels even in casual games ("but waac players can break the game with it and I don't know how to refuse games with waac players")

One of the things I like most about AoS list building is how quick it is to put lists together while also having the same amount of depth. Turns out, it doesn't actually matter if you give your character a bolt pistol or a whatever and having bookeeping around that just wastes time. Your choice of units matters so much more and is really the heart of the list.

for my daemons my goal was getting all the slaanesh models, i'm short the forgeworld keeper and making a few superheavies

for my eldar i got to 1k with maybe an expansion up to 1500

wait, you meant play level right? 1500 to 2k is common while 50 power pops up often

that's what they did. powerlevel assumes upgrades have been taken.

>5 S5 attacks each.
How are you getting 5 attacks?

2 base for Acolytes +1 from Cultist knife +1 from Might From Beyond

or 3 base from Metamorphs +1 from Might From Beyond

??

then why do people complain about it? are they just unable to let go of points?

Tyranids, Orks and Astra Militarum are all very likely contenders to be in the next batch of 4

In fact if at least two of those aren't in the next 4 books I'll eat my shirt.

Because power levels are still shitty and inaccurate and fuck you over if you don't take enough of the "right" upgrades or are still too lenient if you max out on all the best upgrades.

Even GW uses points in their live games. Power level is a meme for young kids just being taught to play or friends just shitting around with non-serious games full of houserules and shit.

The only time you should play power levels is when using the Open War cards and not trying to match up your levels with the opponent whatsoever, the lower one just gets a bonus.

If you're trying to have an even game you don't match up equal power levels, that's completely devoid of the point of them to begin with. Points are for that.

People can't let go of a good thing. Powerlevel is a shit concept for a game modular as this.

Guys...

I'm doing it with genestealers.
3 base +1 for 10+ minis in unit and +1 for might.

Power Levels just aren't balanced. Like, at all. They're there for people that want to throw together small games very quickly right out of the box.

Note that the FAQs aren't really adjusting PL, but they're tweaking and fine-tuning points quite a bit. Points are where the actual balance of the game lies.

As an exercise to demonstrate this make a decent Astra Militarum army and a decent Space Marine army, all the goods, at the same power level. Then convert that into points. The point cost - what the armies are actually balanced around - will not be even remotely fucking close.

Unit upgrades can mean a lot, especially for units that get to take a lot of them. When you get them for free it creates huge problems. It really just comes down to that. PL works in a system without customization, but 40k is a system with a lot of customization and we wouldn't really have it any other way.

Oh right right, I thought you were commenting on the Acolyte/Metamorph thing. Cuz those are still kind of bad this edition.

Wow, this is the first passable piece of 8th art I've seen.

The starter set box arts are fine.

I can see IG, unsure of the xenos as GW has expressed they're taking a back seat for a bit.

They're taking a backseat in model releases, but that doesn't mean they won't get Codexes soon. Not to mention IMPERIUM/CHAOS/IMPERIUM/CHAOS for the first four is already Xenos taking a backseat.

they've said were getting 10 codexs by the end of the year.
xenos may be taking a backseat fr the narrative but the major xenos factions seems likely especially us getting so many. Are there even 10 imperial codexs at all?

though i can also see them pushing nids and orks to next year for an octarius war focused campaign and such.

yeah sorry, should have been clearer.

i was basically saying I think the purestrain stealers are worth that bit extra because of the support they can (and in practice will) get.

>octarius war focused campaign
All the old pre-8th narratives are being cut short and glazed over so they can write new ones. There almost definitely won't be an Octarius War campaign or it would have been one of the Warzones mentioned already.

There will be some shit going down on Armageddon though.

>Are there even 10 imperial codexs at all?
Well, let's count.
Codex Marines
Deathwatch (might not be their own book unless they get more shit)
Grey Knights
Blood Angels
Dark Angels
Space Wolves
Astra Militarum
Adeptus Mechanicus
Talons of the Emperor (probably won't be their own book)
Adeptus Ministorum
Questoris Knights
Inquisition (probably won't be their own book)
Astra Telepathica (probably will be in the guard book)

Granted, they may merge some of this into one "agents" book again, since a few of the imperial factions are pretty small.

That's my thought entirely.

SM, AdMech, IG, Inq, AdMin, That's five, but who am I kidding about that last one.

These guys come up to you at the club and slap your infantry blob's ass. what do?

Deathwatch will get their own book, but not for quite awhile. Update priority is mainly aiming for oldest to newest, so Deathwatch, Imperial Agents and such are at the end of the line.

does that mean that i got lucky that my admech werent tabled in 5 turns to a giant horde of orks with one trukk with tankbustas and 3 deff koptas, still lost the match, it was kill points and he had 7 points to 5

forgot Imperial Knights
Scitarii

Shoot them off the table with bio-plasma or ram a Carnifex up their ass.

Well, I'm an Assault Centurion, so I guess me and my mates have a talk with those guys.

Questoris Knights = Imperial Knights. I can't remember exactly what they're named in the index but it's something like that.

Skitarii are no longer their own faction. They got rolled into AdMech as they should have been from the start.

You do know that Veeky Forums started because old /b/ used to have multiple threads for warhammer on Warhammer Wednesdays and moot got tired of whiners and started Veeky Forums?

Our group balanced power levels with WYSIWYG.

The true way of Power Points that noone can seem to get there head around.

Ironclads: is there a point to having the DCCW when you have a Chainfist or Seismic Hammer? The Hurricane Bolter seems like the more obvious choice in this edition.

That doesn't fix anything though. My group has always played WYSIWYG with points too.

That doesn't do fuck-all. People will just model their shit with every possible upgrade.

it does. it stops poeple going crazy and taking all the upgrades possible.
they have to run the more moderate setup they assembled the minis as for points

>dark angels list
>battalion detachment
6 pl - libby
5 pl - captain with ppistol and psword
6 pl - scouts with shitguns
6 pl - scouts with CCW
9 pl - tac squad with ppistiol, pcannon, and pgun
4 pl - rhino with missile launcher
7 pl - dev squad with 4 ML
7 pl - dev squad with 4 ML

50 power

I'd calculate the points but it is late and I am tired, and it would probably take me an hour to flip back and forth to add it all up.

so... why exactly do scouts have a higher PL cost than tacticals?

IMHO the answer to the following is that it is yes, RaW. Still thought I would ask it here to be debated in classic Veeky Forums fashion.

When rolling to hit for overwatch, do modifiers still apply and cause additional effects to happen if they cause the dice roll to actually be that result, despite not mattering for determining whether it hit or not?

For example, an Extremely Loyal And Not In Any Way Traitorous Space Marine In Suspicious Black Armour who has a Combi-Plasma is charged by, I dunno, a Gretchin. He decides to be Extremely Loyal and fire both the Bolter profile and the Supercharge Plasma profile in overwatch. Now, let's say he rolls a 2 to hit for a Plasma shot. The rules for overwatch say it "uses all the normal rules" for shooting "except that a 6 is always required for a successful hit roll, irrespective of the firing model’s Ballistic Skill or any modifiers." Nowhere does it say those modifiers don't still apply. Thus, the rules for the Combi-Plasma kick in, giving the hit roll a -1, thus causing a roll of 1 to hit to cause the model to be slain. (The above example also works with a regular Plasma and something with a permanent -1 to hit like a MV5 Stealth Drone).

Likewise, if some bonus somehow gave a +1 to hit to Lord Kaldor "We shall provide the hams" Draigo (I couldn't find such an effect, yet, and there may be some come new codexes for all we know) and he decides to use a Psyk-out grenade for overwatch against, say, Magnus the Red, gets 1 attack on the D3 and then rolls a 5 to hit. The rule for the grenade says "Each time you roll a hit roll of 6+ for this weapon when targeting a Psyker or Daemon, the target suffers a mortal wound instead of the normal damage." Since he has a +1 to hit, he has a final roll of 6, even though the rules for overwatch say that it misses, the rules for the grenade itself don't care if the hit actually hits or not, just that a 6+ was rolled, thus it would cause a moral wound.

On a more specific note, the Necron Tesla weapons have the ability "Each hit roll of 6+ with this weapon causes 3 hits instead of 1." Once again this doesn't actually care if the shot hits, only that a 6+ was rolled. When combined with an Overlords +1 to hit aura, does rolling a 5+ when firing overwatch cause 3 hits on the enemy unit, even though it's normally a miss because of the overwatch rules.

>2017
>priming models
>not just painting on colored plastic

>2017
>Painting models

Because Power Level is fucking stupid and if you use it you deserve to be gassed with the rest of them.

That cuts to the bone, user. 2reel

I remember a little while back there were people clamoring for the Dark Vengeance updated rules. Is there still a want for that or did everyone eventually just go to a store and ask if there was a spare copy of the insert?

This/these question/s is popping up everywhere.

(official FAQ)

Q: If an ability instructs me to resolve an attack with a different
characteristic (e.g. a Culexus Assassin’s Etherium ability) does
this happen before or after any other modifiers that also apply to
that characteristic (e.g. the Drukhari Serpentin Combat Drug)?

A: When resolving such an attack, change the relevant
characteristic to the new value before applying any
modifiers to that new value.

"In the example above, the Weapon Skill of the model
attacking a Culexus Assassin is treated as being 6+
because of the Etherium ability, but the Serpentin then
boosts it to 5+. "

This is completely unrelated to what I am asking.

company veterans on bikes seem to be gone now, as are librarians on bikes

Dumping some new sheets in case anyone missed em
1/3

So much for White Scars. Why have them in the fucking Index then rip them out in the Codex. Or is this typical GW not hiring an Editor idiocy?

it is really cute and fun that company veterans are taken in squads of 2 now

Index was always a gap measure to maintain rules.

Things are gonna phase out.

Doesn't matter.

Can I combine units from the index and a codex into one army?
The datasheets in the new codexes overwrite the same datasheets in the index books. You can certainly use units with updated datasheets alongside units from the index that have yet to be updated. Once a unit has been covered in the codex though, we assume you’re using the latest version.

warhammer-community.com/2017/07/05/codexes-your-questions-answered-july-5gw-homepage-post-2/

You can still use the index for units not in the codex. It's GW doing the "no model no rules" stance because of Chapterhouse.

Start Collecting Orks isn't on the website anymore? What happened?

Maybe because Painboy is no longer a HQ but Elite instead, and they need to adjust the box with HQ one.

question is: can you still legally field missing units that are included in the index?

A lot of them are either gone or sold out. Probably getting repackaged considering I'm pretty sure all they still had the 7th ed datasheets in them.

Yes

Being reboxed to have half the models for double the price. The ork box was way too good a deal

i don't think the FAQ solves the flyer problem. we'll be seeing conscripts + stormravens now