EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Ravi Sengir PW When?" Edition

Previous RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
You have to play a commander from Legends or Homelands. Who is it and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/UE9Vqzu
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>You have to play a commander from Legends or Homelands. Who is it and why?
I play the sexiest man in magic against crawwurm metas
heavy swamp matters theme
spend that mana on massive black creatures that have really bad drawbacks

its a fun deck

Is this supposed to be a challenge?

Best friend.

Gwendolyn di Corsi, because I already have a Gwendolyn deck.

foolsdemise.dec incoming

Soraya, falcon tribal MLD

Considering I'm starting on that right now, my boy Dakkon Blackblade

Excellent taste.

Griffon commander when

hard choice or do i just have shit taste?

>Forgetting this majestic motherfucker

>Gabriel
Kinda shit for a 7-drop that only has one keyword at a time. Rampage 3 could be funny though
>Boris
Cool if you wanna do a demon tribal thing
>Johan
Giving all your dudes vigilance is cool. Could be cool with Exert
>Hazezon
A pretty cool dude but not worth $40+

Out of all those I'd probably run Boris.

>kinda shit for a N drop
legends in a nutshell

The impression I had is that the oldest editions have for the most part really shitty creatures while having some of the strongest enchantment/sorceries etc of the game
Is that actually true or it's just that the only ones that are remembered are the best ones, while the bad/normal ones, that compromised 90% of the total, are just forgotten?

Because I have a thing for vikings.

Plane based on norse mythology when?

Thread question: adun oakenshield, great art, useable ability

>Because I have a thing for vikings.

>not wanting to get fucked by ragnar

Wew.

>wanting to be the conquered not the conquerer
boy u is really gay

Just you wait til I conquer you.

>swing with zur
>annex my land back
pssh nothing personal kid

>converted mana cost 3 or less

oh
wait
why do people complain about zur then?
even competitive tables play him as doomsday + necropotence

There are quite a lot of real nice CMC 3 enchantments.

>why do people complain about degenerate lines of play?
Also Oblivion Ring and Grasp of Fate. Just to start.

yeah but its still a 4cmc creature with summoning sickness

>playing zur before you have protection or a combo ready to go
Wew lad

Alright chums, I'm scrapping Slobad and building Karn out of the remains.

Gimme some tasty colorless tech

>degenerate lines of play
turn 5 necropotence
turn 4 is you have some ramp
turn 3 if you have a shitload of ramp

idk I guess im not seeing it as much of a threat as say narset as far as non-competitive tables go
I remember I was going to build zur but I was pretty much told by my playgroup that they wouldnt play against an auto win legend like him
idk
doenst seem that table flippingly good to me
I play some cEDH but never see him played im sure esper is a good color combo but I cant imagine the deck playing more than mystic remora, grasp and necro

All is Dust

I guess the point is that hes not mega fast
any deck that isnt that fast can be fought against

Ayyyyy I got one of those

Luckily I got it before it cranked up in price

You really only need a handful of enchantments with Zur, the rest of the deck can just be fast mana, counterspells, and removal.

Oblivion Stone too because of how easy it is to recur even though it blows up your own stuff.

I just dont see how thats worse than narset
im pretty familiar with playing against narset and even that deck isnt impossible to play against

The idea is that he doesn't do lots of things in a mediocre way, he does one thing extremely fucking well. Narset is worse by way of costing 6, and not being in particularly great tutor colors

A well-built Zur is blisteringly fast

Because Narset costs 2 more mana in worse colors and has a chance of giving you nothing. Jeleva and Zur are both faster in better colors with more options to hit.

This guy. How has no one picked him yet?

>group asks me to tone down Dralnu because it's way too fucking fast for the group
>Drop some power cards, add more interactive stuff and jank
>still win by drawing off an empty library with a LabMan out
They're definitely going to kill me one of these days

well shit now I really want to play against one because I know my stax deck isnt good enough to go against full doomsday zur lists but maybe its good enough to go against enchantment zur

I'm gonna go with the only on I actually own and my favorite color combination.

Tier 1 - Sultai, Grixis, Abzan
Tier 2 - Esper, Temur, Bant
Tier 3 - Jund, Mardu, Jeskai
Tier 4 - Naya

>now I really want to play against one
You don't. Doomsday Ad Nauseam Zur will absolutely steamroll over anything else that isn't tier 1.

I played against one with my Alesha hatebears deck, which gets a lot of wins in my regular group but isn't super optimized, this past weekend and got completely annihilated

>Abzan and Grixis better than Bant, Temur, and Esper
Nope. Anything with Simic is already top tier and Esper is pure bullshit.

Shit alter

>glorious alter comrade
ftfy

>Mentions Plains, Waves, and Mountains
>Not WUR

There are a ton of things I would do ignite I could travel through time, and this would be one of them.

Running Panoramas in a monocolor artifact deck to let me shuffle and maybe tutor up extra colored mana: Ok or shit? I figure they're slightly better than fetches here since I can drop them and still get colorless mana (which most of the deck needs) without needing to do the shuffle early.

Haha, OP, you seemed to have forgotten the Discord info. Here it is:

Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

Don't beat yourself up about it though. Just try to be less forgetful next time.

Already got it.
I get to fuck with everyone's hands while looking at one of the best RFK art MTG.
A Dream come true, too bad I can't grab a Legends one without international shipping.

Is he any good?

He is not that great

but he has amazing art

No you fucking don't

I am jealous. Got a list?

Infect deck, golgari or sultai? Whats the best commander for it?

This will be for french

>This will be for french
???

I'm actually curious about how the vamp precon turns out. Because for my inexperienced knowledge, it feels like Marchesa 1.0 is a solid commander for Vamp tribal, because it seems like vamps want +1/+1 counters and the blue splash could help with the card draw and potentially making things unblockable so I want to see if White can bring anything good as well other than Sorin.

Speaking of, Marchesa 1.0 and Mikaeus seem really strong together. Whatever dies that doesn't have a counter comes back with a counter, and whatever dies with one Marchesa brings back.

if i had to make an infect deck for duel commander, i'd build monoB skithiryx and just spam hand disruption and stax, then use skithiryx as a finisher

but frankly i have no idea how duel commander works

Saskia. Get her out and your opponent has 5 life.
Duel Commander, also known as French. It's a 1v1 banlist.

This is actually a good idea, skittles and discard with targeted removal and hexproof gear, wont even need creatures, taste the rainbow

Sidar Kondo + Silas Renn

How often does your meta "take back" or reset turns? I'm talking about casting a spell and it resolves but then you play a second card that happens to combo with the original and they attempt to turn back to before the first spell resolves to counter it? I play with a group of shitters who try to do this too often

Bonjour!

>mfw learning about the Karn-Nim Deathmantle interaction
That's so fucking sick. I'm really excited to build this deck now and abuse the shit out of that combo

Ixalan has white vampires it seems so you get those, and you get access to whites removal and buff spells so it might work out more. W has better tokens than U if you've got a lot of sac vamps.

Whats the interaction

>animate noncreature artifact with Karn
>said artifact (now artifact creature) dies somehow
>Nim Deathmantle triggers since a creature died
>pay 4 to bring back the artifact

I have had that happen only once, with Geralf's Messenger in my Ghave.
But some retards backpedal on their spells a lot, since they can't apparently watch what's on the battlefield. For example, one Animar player consistently plays into Goblin Sharpshooter and always wants to backpedal. He's like 40+ and can't even bother to learn, expecting that everyone will bend to his will.

>nim deathmantle reanimates creatures

Did you just learn the game today?

Whats the stupidest combo you can think of /edhg/?

One that doesn't work

>Geralf's Messenger in my Ghave
Ah, a fellow man of taste

Endrek sahr+assault suit

Nobody ever wins a game again EVER

I've only seen takebacks in the situation of "Oh shit, I couldn't actually have done that" when it's noticed a little later that somebody miscounted their mana. Usually, it's the person who miscounted who points it out, too. I've been that person, and lost track of the fact I had green, yes, but not double green

Can someone explain it to me? I don't understand how this should work

>owe a friend a lot of pizza + beer money from EDH nights
>asks me to pay him back with cards for his Shattergang deck
>buy him a bunch of shit
>accidentally turn the deck into an unholy stax nightmare

I've made a terrible mistake

Going to need a list for personal reasons

>foolsdemise.dec incoming
Never heard of this card before.
The fucking synergy tho.
Fuck.

I chuckled.

Baron Sengir, because fuck you and everything you stand for.

cards you love but don't have a home for

Check the filename.

Oh holy shit

I've seen it, that's why I'm asking. I can see that the bottom two cards can make you lose half your life+5 (and even more if you keep using Murderous Betrayal's effect), but I don't see how the two top cards would interact with the other two

Okay, you got me.

Every edition until nu-Magic tended to have stronger spells and artifacts than creatures. It was much more pronounced back then.

When did "nu-Magic" start?

Bruh

Artifacts have never quite been figured out though, in terms of balance. Something always goes awry

I can't help you here user.

Recently added him to my Intet deck and I've been honestly impressed with how versatile he is. Actually thinking about ordering some more.

order me one I don't want to look at tcg, I'll spend too much money again