Was the decimation justified?

Was the decimation justified?

No, Perty suffered from the Assburguer Rot eating his brains.

Roll a d10 and tell us

Rolled 9 (1d10)

Here's a free roll.

I am not OP...

Decimation is never justified. It's an indiscriminate form of punishment, rather than one that targets those definitively deserving it.

9 out of 10 IW agree.

No, it was one of few things everyone agrees on.

He should have just formed penal batallions instead of wasting precious astartes.

Perty is an autistic manchild, somehow even more so than the other Primarchs who are also autistic manchildren.

Reminder that taking anything less than 40% casualties is a sign of weakness according to Perturarbo and is a punishable offense!.

>32% casualties
>battalion command censured for lack of zeal
Now this is the type of stuff I'd expect from the Black Templars, adeptus soritas or some other fanatical imperial faction. This is what makes the setting grimdark.

>that attrition

I get that the whole point for them being bitter was that they got sent into the meatgrinder time and again, but maybe they wouldn't have taken so many losses if the one directly commanding them actually gave a shit?

>32% casualties are too few

No wonder the decimation wasn't a big deal...

What if everyone involved is deserving of it?
If we recapture a deserting or rebelling army, sure, the officers deserve it more, and traditionally when decimating, the officers are all executed.
But we can't execute the entire army. For one thing, we might need them again later.
And I assure you, the punishment isn't just being dead. It's being forced to murder your companions you care for. The survivors are also punished.

So, yeah, it has a use in very narrow circumstances.

Definitely. Sedition must be punished.

the end of the new perturabo book has a character pointing out that he made himself a martyr to some extent and that he really couldn't recognize kindness when it was in his face for years, also in the beginning the Emeporr makes it clear that his job is to take on the jobs that need done that others couldn't handle but he forgets this.

The decimation is also called out as being just wasteful, a petulant move by a boy.

I really need to read this new book

Justified by being funny.

Hey there, son! Here, a vast host of blindingly loyal, state of the art, extremely experienced soldiers the likes of which you have never seen before. Just for you.

>Proceeds to have 10% of said men killed by the rest for something they didn't even know they did wrong.

I would've BLAMMED Pert's autistic brain all over the wall if I was the Emperor. Ten percent. Ten FUCKING percent of your Astartes killed by the other ninety for no fault of their own. It's not like the astartes can't stand straight or are useless louts, either. Pert killed his one tenth of his gift before even seeing them fail in combat. The Emperor should've sent Russ to off Perturabo the moment he learned of this. This is a red flag of massive proportions if I've even seen one.

The Iron Warriors did see service and fail before the decimation. They were one of the first legions to be active in large numbers and fought well during the initial stages of the great crusade but as the war expanded they suffered great losses that we now associate with them. For example they suffered almost 30,000 casualties (Probably at least 50% of the entire legion at this point) in one battle at a planet called Incaladion. This is what compelled Perturabo and what he used as justification to toughen up the legion with decimation.

Then that doesn't explain where unbelievable amount of casualties were celebrated.

To be fair, all those battles with absurdly high casualties saw the complete and/or utter destruction of enemy forces.

Also I believe that grand companies could vary in size.

>Russ gets drunk and parties with his men
>Alpharius lets his marines play dress up
>Mortarion even drinks deadly poison with his men to bro out
>Pert kills his own men for delivering bad news

How are there any IW left?

I think they are like the World Eaters, they recruit from everywhere. Both legions were always taking huge casualties so thats literally the only way stay afloat.

Perturabo and the Iron Warriors had really adaptable geneseed which allowed for a high number of recruits very quickly.

Daemoncubula or however you spell it.

World Eaters had even higher fatality rates amongst their own and new recruits, they simply grabbed more people and stabilized them using Primarch geneseed in order to pump out more marines than other legions. This couple with the fact that Perturarbo would probably plan this shit ahead of time so any losses were already calculated and ready to be replenished in the next recruitment cycle.

It wasn't because they only took 30% casualties. It's because 30% of the rebels survived. All the rebels should've been executed for treason.

Incaladion is a Forgeworld.

Eh, it was a lack of zeal. It clearly was a victory but Perty wanted the whole thing gone which would mean more casualties, the lack of zeal is basically accussing the commanders of not being willing to sacrifice his men for a total annihilation and only being satisfied with just victory. They are being accused of not going the extra mile even though they achieved their mission.

So yeah, they are being censured for not being willing to lose more than 30% of their men in order to achieve total victory.

How can a shitter lile Pert produce a man as based as Barbas Dantioch?

Nah, the lack of zeal is because they held back. They could've wiped out all the rebels and any amount of losses would've been acceptable. The issue was them not wiping out the traitors and achieving a total victory because they showed mercy.

Because even though the IW are stupid, by the standards of the setting they're goddamn geniuses.

They recruit from everywhere instead of just sitting on one shithole planet so they can recruit faster, steal the geneseed of marines they kill to make more IW, utilize non-marine auxiliaries to soften up the foe before their marines even strike, and utilize 'practical' daemon-engines and obliterators rather than just hope a god feels like blessing them today.

IW, for all the team-killing-fucktardness and politicking of their command staff, casualty fetishization and refusal to use things like 'stealth' or 'not just throwing men at it until it dies', have the closest thing to functioning logistics of all space marine legions.

while giving fuel to the autism fire as I saw it, it was the paranoid culture that made perturabo wrong, he assumes everyone is paranoid and ruthless constantly, like the emperor empathy is lacking.

He also has adopted siblings including a sister.

>9
>9 out of 10 are killing remaining 1
I guess that this concludes with this post

>Lion punches stubborn assholes head's off

>Corax exiles anyone for being too mean

God i hate that pussy and his legion with a passion

Was the Burning of Prospero justified?

You guys overrate Chaos IW. They are long lived because they turtle in their fortresses. Once their fortresses are breached or they get the bright idea to attack a fortress, they take horrific losses. Famous instances that come to mind are the one fortress that the Tyranids om'nom'd, the last planet which was overrun by the Indomitus Crusade, and the failed siege of the Phalanx.

My sides

No. It served no point beyond introducing his way of doing things to his legion. It didn't make them any better or any less likely to commit to costly wars of attrition. It was just his fucked up autistic way of saying "Hello, my name is Perturabo and I'm your new leader." That is all.

Yes, Magnus. You fucked up. Stop being a smug know-it-all and blaming everyone else for a problem you were instrumental in creating, you screwy cyclops.
>Buh-but da didn't
No, Magnus you don't get to think you know better than daddy and then blame him for everything that goes wrong. You can't have both.