EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"I built 4 decks in 2 weeks and spent a grand should I build one more?" Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
Should me, you, or anyone else build that one last deck that they have an idea for but that just hasn't ever been built?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/goblin-parade-1/
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This is a bad thread question.
Some decks just won't work in certain tables and completely dominate other.
And assuming something has never been done for is simply audacious, however pushing your playgroup to new experiences is always healthy for the meta, unless your table is one that likes to solidify their snowflake decks and have them remain unchanging until the day the get bored of it and completely disassemble them.

>that just hasn't ever been built
I bet you're the kind of person who begins sentences with "Am I the only one who ever..."

>prowling serpopard price

fug, i should have got a full playset

What would you run in Thada Adel, YourShitisMyShit.dec

Anyone try out this card yet?
And what's the consensus on the new cycling taplands, only good for cards that specify basic land types when searching or what?

>$2
Really gonna burn a hole in my change pocket, tell you what

Why do people buy from card kingdom?

I play it in my Rashmi turbo fog, it's cool. about what you'd expect.

I'm going to give one a try but I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near a "competitive" card. It looks like it will be just a fun thing to have for long games to get repeated value out of it every turn, nothing crazy.

>legal in commander

Can someome give me a link to a budget green deck wich is fun to play and dont rely on infinit combos and such?

At least it's not Glen Elendra Archmage.

Green or Monogreen?

Stop.
Two threads in a row is enough.

>cast Glen Elendra
>use ability
>comes back with persist
>use ability again
>hits yard, exile with vat
>have a 4 mana counter for the rest of the game

could be worse

You could say it's persistent.

I don't really care. Green Blue would be expensive I guess. I have a mono black deck already so no green black.

Green blue is actually quite flexible and can be built janky as hell for decently cheap.
Don't assume "good" colors will automatically be expensive.

Spend A LOT of time sifting through the card database and have notes ready on the side to jot down or save the ones you take interest in.
If you plan on staying to Magic for a while this will really pay off in the long run.

Every single color combination can be expensive. Honestly just dick around on EDH rec until you find a commander you think will be fun.

Green/Red can be pretty cheap.
Maybe something like Rosheen. You play a lot of janky X spells that aren't very useful in most decks, so they're not particularly expensive.

Borborgymos and 99 basic lands

>99 basics meme
It's okay for a cheap laugh the first time but after that it gets stale real quick.
Since you're budgeting so much on all the lands anyways it's fine to throw in some ramp cards and some draw to fuel his discard engine.

relax, user. that was never meant to be taken so seriously

post jank combos. this gives infinite mana and lets you infinitely cast every spell out of your graveyard.

How

That is neither the stupidest, nor the most convoluted

Don't try this shit at home, kids

>all the artifacts are in your grave
>cast scrap mastery
>sac lotus bloom for RRR (so you can cast scrap mastery again)
>tap salvaging station bringing back lotus bloom
>sac lotus bloom for three mana
>sac a myr token for 2 mana
>trigger salvaging station, untap
>tap salvaging station bringing back lotus bloom
>repeat until all myrs including battlesphere are sacrificed
>activate codex shredder, return scrap mastery to hand
>sacrifice salvaging station and ironworks for mana
>cast scrap mastery
>repeat until you have enough an arbitrarily high number of mana, say 1,000,000 of each colour and colourless
>sacrifice codex shredder to bring back whatever spell you want to cast
>salvaging station untaps can now be used to get codex shredder instead of lotus bloom because you don't need any more coloured mana
>keep casting spells
>also mills everyone to death with codex shredder
>also can give infinite myrs to overrun with

it's really stupid and overly complex but that's the shit i do like.

Usually a modern player but I got my tax return and decided to just go nuts and buy a commander deck I've been working on.

Before I commit to all the cards, should I change anything around?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/goblin-parade-1/

Should just be leveler with shared fate

i've seen great aurora do ridiculous work in GR wort

>2 dark rituals
>edh
Try again.

That one and the bear one have been passed around in normal MtG threads fora while, meant for Kitchen table joke/fun times.
Don't like troll one because it tries to add tormad's crypt into the mix to exile everything you own but both your swamp and spite still in graveyard, since casting spite will either sacrifice it or discard it.
A much better troll combo is the Academy Rector + Kaervak's Spite into Barren Glory.

Neither is this one. What's your point?

What do you think about this?

>bragging on social media
>"They tried to stop me but they have NO POWER OVER ME"
I think he needs a new hobby.

Someone should just tell him to have leaked on Veeky Forums's Veeky Forums board. The likliehood of them wanting to touch you then is far lower

He didn't want to leak them anonymously though, user.
Not everyone does things for the community, ya know?

Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

rogues btfo

Smart people do

He clearly isn't smart, and also an attwhore (which is kinda redundant).

Because I want max value for my trade-in.. and they happen to pay top dollar

Kaervek's spite is an instant, cast tormod's crypt and respond with spite so that it's on the stack instead of in your hand or on the field when spite resolves

Then you still have Tormad's in your graveyard.

I remember when $3 felt like a lot for a Magic card. Simpler times.

Are you retarded? Do you not know how stack works? Tormod's goes to GY before it's effect resolves

What partners or 3+ color commanders work best for non-voltron enchantress?

You probably want Bant, Abzan at the outside. You could do Zur but he's not exactly right. Bant lets you run both Enchanted Evening and regular enchantresses.

And frankly, once you're in bant, you don't have a ton of options. Partners are kind of garbage though you could use Thrasios/Whatever if you're planning on making infinite mana. Without getting into commanders that have a color identity different than their colors (since they're hard to search up) you have 10 choices in Bant

We can eliminate Rafiq and Jenara for being Voltron. Arcades and Treva are big honking dragons that do basically nothing for your enchantress games so rule them out too. Roon is actively hurtful to local enchantments, so presumably we don't want him.

Five commanders remain: Angus, Derevi, Phelddagrif, Ragnar, and Rubinia. Of those Pheldy, Derevi, and Rubinia are just plain skew to your interests. Rubinia maybe a little less since she can wear Freed From the Real and steal what you can't pacify, but how about those others?

Ragnar and Angus both, in a sideways sense, let you preserve auras you've thrown on your creatures. Angus goes a step further though; non-Voltron Enchantress is typically a controling strategy and Angus fogs on command to protect you from death in combat. Angus Mackenzie is therefore the clear winner.

Why wouldn't I?

I know this feel

I bought a fuckload of Fraying Sanity, EVERY good mill card gets expensive. Also what a doozy of a card, I think my modern mill deck is finally competitive

It's a """"FREE"""" Explosive Vegetation spread over six cards!

Damn it. My exciting new janky Wydwen deck ends up sharing fucktons of cards with my Jori En deck. So unless I'm willing to double up or change up one of the lists, I'll end up wih two that play the same way.

Jori En is a phenomenally fun list and actually exists, so I might scrap Wydwen or rework it.

Does anyone have the variation of this image that runs One with Nothing and Sinkhole instead? It is a lot funnier to me for some reason.

Hello my friend

>rebuilding my pimped Ezuri elfball
>include my foil Elixer, Cloudstone and Engine
>cant find my asian tempest Medallion anymore

Sure sucks losing hard to replace cards

Thanks, man. There is just something so comical about just fucking sinkholing the shit instead of casting Spite.

Anyway, I don't think I've seen a single list running Profoud Journey. Why not? It seems like solid reanimation for a color whose options are surprisingly limited.

I'm half considering running Oblivion Stone+Profound Journey in Queen Olivia with it because I'm tired of not being able to Eternal Witness a Wrath.

Looking 4 spicy techs, wincons, and ways yo stay alive.

Very expensive in a color that doesn't ramp well. I used to run it in Shu Yun to get back, like, Leering Emblem or a Talrand, but it's just too expensive to rely on.

So, how much do you think the foil price of these is going to spike?

Why would it?

50%, from two cent to three cent.

It becomes a 5/4 double striking infect. Pretty cool

Where is the double strike coming from?

Is this snake a semi-viable BadNeheb or just irredeemable trash?

It becomes a 10/9 trample infect. Otherwise known as "Block me or lose." Even without Arahbo on the field it's an easy two turn clock for anyone who can't chump.

This and a way to bounce it to keep the counters on board

The fact that it's combat damage only and green doesn't have Aggravated Assault means that Neheb has a lot more available spice. Thing is, if you want tons of mana in Mono Green there are better options, and if you want to hold onto that mana there's always Omnath.

It's not worth it to only include a single infect creature unless that creature is Blightsteel.
Foils of Qasali Pridemage on the other hand are probably where it's at.

His second line, it's only in effect while he is in play though.

It gives you a 5/4 infect on turn 2, that can easily kill someone if they don't have an earlygame blocker.

i don't think they can really go up that much. EDH is a popular format, but it's not like lost leonin slots into any deck like something like protean hulk does. i can see it going up to like 2 euros or something, mostly because of duel commander, but that's it. and the cat commander is going to be banned in duel commander for sure because wotc doesn't care enough to balance their commanders around 20 life, even though the whole point of EDH is to play "balanced for 20 life" commanders n a format with 40 life totals

Various Bribery and Mind Control effects

It's all right, but it requires combat damage, which already makes Nuheb way better

The second line would give him +2/+2 and trample, though.

Stop.

>xmage
>thada adel hits me to dig out my sol ring
>don't have sol ring in my deck because it's a cancer ass card and my irl group hates it so none of us run it
>he gets a shitty mind stone instead

outplayed

Yup, was mostly an indirect way to bring attention to the cool interaction with lost leonin and the new cat commander.

The interaction is pretty cute at least.

>enter combat
>give creature +3/+3 from first line
>attack
>second line triggers, giving +X/+X and trample, where the cat is currently 5/4

It's worded so the Eminence triggers at the beginning of combat, and then the second ability triggers when a cat attacks. So you can have a 10/8 trample infect, but it definitely doesn't have double strike.

>I'm too retarded to figure out how to use the stack

When you can't just bolt to the face for mana it's not sayings good. That said, I'm sure something stompy should still be fun

Ah my bad, for some reason I was thinking it was double strike and not +X/+X, since the result is the same, doubling the damage.

Haven't play EDH in 5 years. Is it still a budget format, or are people playing a bunch of duals and tutors now?

In that case the commander would be actually useful, since double strike gives much better value than just buff.

Depends on the group, but even more budge players try to make their decks moderately competent.

Depends on the playgroup. There's lot of people who play the game with much better decks these days, but there's also lot of people who play exclusively draft chaff or dollar rare jank

Sangromancer, Alhammaret could help being a big dude with a minor telepathy, Duskmantle Seer has run synergy, any form of bounce, things that reduce opponent's max hand size.

I run it in Reki. When Negev was spoiled, I almost blew a gasket. Saskia wins games the turn she comes into play if not removed. It is crazy amounts of value.

I wouldn't put her in the command zone though.

It would be much better. Especially since the ability doesn't target, so you could run a full set of swords and not care about pro green or white.

I bought the Mind Seize precon and cracked it open. What are some decent upgrades I can do to it to make it better for around 50 bucks?

Forgive me. For some reason I misread eminence as counting with him being on the battlefield too.
I thought it was active only at the command zone.

I wouldn't expect too much from foil Pridemage, with the Alara foil packs and also the FNM promo there are a lot of them

Except Double Strike is also First Strike, which works incredibly well with Infect. A 5/4 Double Strike Infect can take down an 8/10 without dying.

>lot of people who play exclusively draft chaff or dollar rare jank
My group. It's great, I get to build whatever the fuck I want and not have to worry about being ultra-competitive

Uh, why wouldn't the 5/4 die during the regular combat step?

Takes the 8/10 down to a 3/5

Because it has infect, lowering the 8/10 to 3/5.

I think I killed accidentally one of my groups. I won consistently and easily every game, even though I was playing pretty bad decks, but with some synergy. I played Rith tokens and Mogis enchantress, but without the commander most of the time, since others were playing with 60 card casual decks, I played with the 99, since my casual decks aren't fun to play