Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

I tried this some 12 hours ago on /v/ with predictable results.

But is anyone anyone willing to discuss how this game handled the presentation of the socio-political milieu of the late 20th century taken to sickening lengths? Perhaps what's most fun about it is that it leaves so much room for imagining the lives of people within those societies and their ideologies.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. There's a GURPS Alpha Centauri as well.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QTHH1dqsrsE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I loved the factions in SMAC. They feel like realistic extensions of current ideologies. Interacting with the different leaders (except Miriam, she can fuck off) was way more interesting than in the Civ games.

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright? None I say! Let us take what is ours, chew and eat our fill.
>CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "Ethics of Greed"

She's a straightforward bitch, but in mid-game her message starts to come through when you take a moment to inspect what the fuck you've been probing or developing for yourself.

youtube.com/watch?v=QTHH1dqsrsE

Miriam is probably one of the most polarizing characters on Veeky Forums. On the one hand she's a religious fanatic. On the other hand she does care about her people and her slow adoption of new tech is more to do with understandable caution more than any luddite ideals.

Also compared to all the other leaders, bar maybe Lal,she was possibly the least unhinged.

But who exactly is best and worst varies hugely from player to player based on their own ideals. Except Yang, he can fuck right off.

>Except Yang, he can fuck right off.

I used to think the factions were unrealistic, but now I'm not so sure. If you identify more with ideology than nationalism I can see why people would follow Morgan or Miriam

>There's a GURPS Alpha Centauri as well.
What a shameless way of trying to make your thread board-relevant.

I approve.

SMAC won't ever need to justify its presence here. If anything, the ones complaining about it would, the board will most likely be better off without them.

>Buying bullshit propaganda
>Whitewashing a Bible-trumping fundie into anything else than green eyed monster that simply envy everyone else their development
>HURR WE PURE
>PROGRES EVIL DURR
Tell that to a guy who is clinically immortal and lives a comfy life in well-groomed city base, while you are still on manual labour and basic assembly

She is not polarising. The "We Must Dissent" posts started as literal meme about her. And then newfags picked up, but took those serious.

Also, please explain me how the fuck someone who consider herself a voice of God running amok fundamentalist state based on conquest and exploitation of virgin planet the least unhinged one.

It's actually kind of interesting; she degenerates over the course of the game from

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesteryear. But it was never the streets that were evil. "

to

"Beware, you who seek first and final principles, for you are trampling the garden of an angry God and he awaits you just beyond the last theorem."

She understood and accepted science and reason, even advancement, but eventually reached a breaking point that turned her into the sputtering loon in the late game. Which is honestly rather fitting with her playstyle: her benefits, specifically the attack benefit, are most relevant early and in a long game with all other factors equal she'll be sidelined increasingly as time wears on.

Lal's experience seems somewhat similar, but much as he's not so trapped in the early game mechanically, he doesn't fall so far. On the opposite side, Deidere and Zakharov's findings become increasingly profound while their factions flourish in the late game. Morgan, Yang, and Santiago are relatively level across time both mechanically (at low difficulty strategies) and in terms of how they're portrayed.

The big part is that they left nations behind, remember. And this was entirely an international expedition, people who assembled the crew likely tried to make it as varied as possible to prevent nations from reforming.

The big part is that they left nations behind, remember. And this was entirely an international expedition, people who assembled the crew likely tried to make it as varied as possible to prevent nations from reforming.

>please explain me how the fuck someone who consider herself a voice of God running amok fundamentalist state based on conquest and exploitation of virgin planet the least unhinged one.
Not him, frankly I think she is unhinged (Pillar of sanity award goes to Santiago or Lal for me) but I can see reasonable arguments that
>Miriam's "insanity" is based in faith, which we normally don't consider to be non-sane as long as enough people subscribe to it for it to not be a "cult"
>Meanwhile we have Deidere who's borderline cult and claims to be mind-melding with a literal planet, Zakharov who is 200% Mad Scientist, Yang's constant human rights violations, and the self-destructive implications of Morgan's hypercapitalism
>One could even argue that Santiago represents the kind of "survivalist" nutjob already living in a bunker and that Lal is delusional to hope for his peaceful little resolutions
Again, I personally disagree (Deidere is provably correct, Zakharov is at least as scientist as mad, and Morgan and Yang aren't unstable, just potentially distasteful) but the reading is there.

Santiago definitely was, m8. That's what the Spartans were all about. Had they stayed on Earth, they'd be regular nutjobs like our preppers, but on another, hostile planet she has definitely got a point.

Reminder that Miriam is the most sane leader

My head canon is about Gaians, Zak and Lal getting their shit together by the end of the game. At least that comes from the quotes, clips and what else - "canon" win is to Deidre, with heavy Zak help.

And I always have strange feeling about Yang. On one hand, totalitarian hell-hole. On the other hand, a fuckload of things I agree with (namely, that efficiency trumps everything else, austerity is good and that you can learn things, rather than saying "nah bruh, I ain't got talent in that" and and the stuff that emerges from those)

And out of all original seven, Miriam is probably the only one without any REAL good points. Even Santiago and Yang come with enough good points to consider their stances and ideologies. Miriam meanwhile comes of as "hurr evil everyone who is not us durr" heinous bitch.

>MIriam is the most sane leader
>Implying she's not one of the biggest maniacs on the planet
>Openly ignoring her stance on pretty much everything
>Muh religious moral superiority

Miriam is THE shittest of all leaders, including those from SMAX. And just for the record, SMAX introduced a fucking pirate captain and an insane cultist child.

No, Cha Dawn is strictly worse than Miriam. But that's the sole exception. The only reason you don't know for certain Dawn is worse is because SMAX leaders have very limited lines.

>And I always have strange feeling about Yang.
Me too, reinforced by the fact that I get along pretty well with him most games (Police State, Green, Knowledge: If I'm not playing them, I'll probably be allied with Zakharov, Deidere, and Yang).

Funnily enough my opinions on Yang (basically the same as yours) are essentially the mirror opposite of my opinions on Morgan: Yang has a good philosophy but a shitty implementation while Morgan takes a fairly shitty basis for life and seems to make it work fairly well.

Zakharov is the best leader, though.

>Police State, Green, Knowledge
Why?

>implying that Yang isn't leftypol's husbando

The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesteryear.
But it was never the streets that were evil.
-- Sister Miriam Godwinson, "The Blessed Struggle"

Top-tier waifu material, desu.

Not him but you get effic refund and lots of knowledge. Not sure why you would get Police State unless you were really skimping on all psych facilities.

She is pretty damn reasonable by the standards of

Eat Everything, Starve Tomorrow - Morgan

Psychic and physical brain rape - Sky

Muh 2nd Amendment - Santiago

Everyone's a test subject - Zakharov

Let's do the same thing and hope for another result - Lal

12 human rights violations before breakfast, Pol Pot did nothing wrong - Yang

Your taste in waifus is as shit as my brother's. Pure fucking shit. Holy fucking god am I angry at him for introducing that Swedish bitch into our family. 100% fundamentalist psycho, 0% human.
/rant

>Your taste in waifus is as shit as my brother
You can say it's holy shit

This is Veeky Forums, nobody gives a shit about you or your family. Make a blog.

>She is pretty damn unreasonable by the standards of
There, fixed it for you.

Deidre is leftypol's bff. Sweet words and deep of pits of brainraping worms for those who don't buy into it.

And which faction did you thing was right/least wrong?

>/rant
Reddit, please leave.

On a related note, there are too many collectivists and fedora tippers in this thread.

I used faction editor to make my of special snowflake Mary Sue faction with:
>Soc Ideal: Power
>Emphasis: Support
>Anti Ideal: Green
>Start tech: Applied Physics
>Free building given tech: Recycling Tanks
>-1 Research
>+1 Econ
>-1 Effic
>-1 Planet
>Police State Inefficiency Doubled
>Minimum 0 Police (Immunity)

They're supposed to be a Santiago - Lal offshoot that founded as a counterreaction to Deirdre, Cult and the Progenitors, with a focus on free will, human supremacy and voluntary militarism.

Lots of research, decent planet score, and positive support. The growth hit is annoying but I tend to go wide rather than tall, a holdover from my time playing civ2 on difficulties easier than "Spreadsheet Deity", and nutrients are easy to come by. As a result I've got decent tech, average income, and can mobilize for war without taking terrible hits. Also, you know, having a defensive unit and a former for each city to get my infrastructure up.

It's probably not the ideal path and I experiment more and more every time I boot up the game, but it's been both fun and effective, and flexible in what victory I'm going for.

Luxury Australian space communism, comrade.

Deidre > Lal = Zak > Yang > Morgan = Santiago > nothing = more of nothing > Miriam

And to wit, Santiago and Morgan aren't bad, they are simply slightly worse than the rest. Deidre wins over Zak and Lal (instead being tied with them) by the virtue of running empathic green with decent stance on humanity, different values and not being greedy for something (like Zak is greedy for knowledge and Lal ain't green-sustainable enough).
>Inb4 someone goes about feeding people to mindworms
Kindly fuck off before you even write that post, user.

It's ridiculous that they take 20% penalty to research. I'm sorry but the Soviet Union were the first people in space and America had to compete to get to the moon. Like em or hate them, communists do NOT value pure pragmatism. They're deliberate cultural innovators.
Also, "Soc Ideal: Eudamonic"? PLANNED. PLANNED!

>And I always have strange feeling about Yang.
I love Yang as a character and a philosophical ideal, but any actual evidence we get on how the Hive lives makes the place sound absolutely horrific, and like any good dictatorship you can't be sure of anything because the positive propaganda from Yang totally runs counter to the negatives put forth by Lal & Morgan.
I gotta admit, I would totally be into living with the Gaians. I'm already a minimalist so it's not it'd be very hard to adapt in that regard , nor would the access to psychic powers before basically any one else be unappreciated.
Well, the Gaians won, so there's that.

Pray all day, complain all night - Miriam

Hate everyone who doesn't share your believes - Miriam

Use 4 thousan years old Bronze Age scripture to judge non-believers on alien planet with its entire society rebuild from ground up - Miriam

Conquer people because they aren't as expansionist as you are - Miriam (this one is utterly unrelated with typical "Conquer others, because ideological differences")

Submission to a biospheric alien mind is heresy.

The problem is that having a moderate effic instead of a high effic limits your "going wide" strategy and having high support when you can just distribute your mineral strain over many bases is unnecessary. Police State is worse than Frontier for your strategy.

>and claims to be mind-melding with a literal planet
The thing is, it's not just a claim. At least not toward the end of the game.

Hippies look a lot less silly when the "earthmother" imagery turns out to be the literal truth.

Yeah, it's so much worse than submission to an invisible sky magician. At least 'Voice' is real.
Yeah, that's my favorite justification for war in the game, 'You didn't take enough land, so i'm taking it instead.' It doesn't matter who I am playing, I always make it a point to wipe out Miriam as quickly as I can if she's in the game.

>It's ridiculous that they take 20% penalty to research
This penalty basically doesn't exist. Once you get you node tech from Zach or CC, you can outrace everyone by building it in every base with your superior production.

I remember my first contact with SMAC, didn't know anything about it aside "Remember how in Civ 2 you send colony ship to Alpha Centauri? It's a game about that!".
I've spend looking at the factions, reading their quotes and info and quickly realised that Deidre sounds the best of them all. Morgan, Miriam and Santiago instantly throw me away. Zak stopped sounding so fun when I've read his penalty about drones and Yang was too hard on totalitarian state, despite still being pretty nifty from provided material. So I was left with Lal and Deidre and she won by having more flavour in her.

Played the game and never looked back, Gaians are literally the best faction of them all with everything taken into consideration. You can go with Democracy and you can go with Planned, which given Planet's realities isn't all that bad or stupid choice fluff-wise (come on, you are directlyu commanding series of city bases, with all facilities fluff-wise being made under direct orders and "government" demand, how is that not planned in the first place?), both nicely tied with Green.

What to ask more?

Yang's trascendence is astonishingly utopian.

>At least 'Voice' is real.
That. Is. The. Problem.
We invented God. Everything God is, is a human artifact. We know exactly what God is, a product of human minds that ultimately venerates humanity.
This fucking alien is an anathema to everything human. Transcendence is literally the end of the human race. It is misanthropy incarnate. Willing proponents of it are traitors and instead of imposing on their free will through conversation or debate, they should be given the right to willingly die, excised from the species.

That penalty is a non-issue. Like the other user said, you can easily outproduce everyone due to innate 20% bonus to production, so your nodes are SUPER cheap under Planned.

How tf do you go planned and green? You know some hack we don't?

Aren't the Free Drones anarcho-communist or something similar? They have more in common with a glorified worker union than with the imperial juggernaut the USSR used to be.

My issue is with the FLUFF. Of course you can take measures to alleviate any penalty, just as you can buy a Centauri Preserve and a Hybrid Forest in every base as Morgan. That doesn't make sense in fluff though.

Sounds about as BS as a Democratic faction with a permanent leader. Looking at you, Lal.

>Transcendence is literally the end of the human race
That's the fucking point of transcendence, you idiot. Not in game terms, but literally what transcendence is as a concept.

>Willing proponents of it are traitors and instead of imposing on their free will through conversation or debate, they should be given the right to willingly die, excised from the species.
The other option humanity in SMAC has - if not transcending - is to be simply wiped out by the flowering of the Planet. Cease to exist in ANY form. So when faced with "make the most of the situation and also use it for improving your own species beyond anything possible" and "just die", it's literally a non-issue

Seriously, how dumb are you on scale from 1 to Miriam?

Yeah, for real. I played Zak the first few times and had *tons* of issues with growth as a result of his drone penalties, which is a problem given that I like to play Tall. I always played Dee rather pragmatically, given that you can get into former tech super fast, my territory was usually covered in forests with a few boreholes for mineral support. As I advanced down the tree and forests became better, boreholes would be dropped.
Is it? I always tagged it as Nietzschean.
>Transcendence is literally the end of the human race.
Yup, and that's sort of the point. It's a hybridization of us with something both greater and lesser than us. Adapt or die, fellow ape creature.

It's called "switching your policies". You can run Planned when you really, really need it, and then switch for Green when you really, really need it.

The point here is about both of those policies are ideologically similar. Green/sustainable economy is by DEFAULT a planned one. Meanwhile, running Planned as Gaians, it still has their faction flavour added in.
Is it more clear now?

Soviet Union wasn't real communism

>Free Drones
>anarcho-communist
Are you fucking insane or never played the game?

At least when /pol/ comes in here they don't claim that real Naziism has never been tried.

>My issue is with the FLUFF.
The idea is that they aren't just communist, they're Populists. Their leader was a Talent who was made temporarily retarded by an accident, scanned wrong and branded a Drone. They *hate* scientists and others of that ilk because in their minds they were victimized by them.

>of them all. Morgan, Miriam and Santiago instantly throw me away. Zak stopped sounding so fun when I've read his penalty about drones and Yang was too hard on totalitarian state, despite still being pretty nifty from provided material. So I was left with Lal and Deidre and she won by having more flavour in her.
>Played the game and never looked back, Gaians are literally the best faction of them all with everything taken into consid
This isn't the Civ 5 beyond earth transcend. If anything, the quotes surrounding it suggest that Planet transcends by being forcefed the intellectual sum of what it means to be human. In exchange, we gain a sympathetic symbiotic partner.

There is no part of the Alpha Centauri transcendence victory that implies a discontinuity of human thought or an end of human individuality.

Recall:

"Imagine the entire contents of the planetary datalinks, the sum total of human knowledge, blasted into the Planetmind’s fragile neural network with the full power of every reactor on the planet. Thousands of years of civilization compressed into a single searing burst of revelation. That is our last-ditch attempt to win humanity a reprieve from extinction at the hands of an awakening alien god."

Other victory types, to an extent, represent shortsighted endgames: Planet is still waking up, and the "victorious" civilization will have to deal with that.

m8, it's canon that she overran Sparta Command with mindworms.

Ever got the cooperative conquest victory? The flavor text for that is very different than the usual "Thank you, Simon". It implies that humanity managed to achieve interstellar space travel and becomes independant of the planet again. Flowering or not, Planet is just one place, one of many, same as Earth.

Seriously, humanity is not PREDESTINED to live on Planet. It is predestined to spread and take over the entire universe, an everlasting permanent memetic concept of willpower, uncorrupted and unmolested by mischeivous and malevolent alien beings. We don't need a god, we ARE the God. Anything less is surrender to the cold ironic nature of the universe, the notion that free will exists only to witness its own demise.

The best part is that with a bit of luck, you don't even need boreholes, if you just find a mineral bonus or two and plant forest on that.

And Yang is a nice mix of Confucianism, Legism and Existentialism. Which makes him ANTI-nihilist, rather than a nihilistic dude.

IIRC written material makes Lal a permanent adviser to the Peacekeepers' elected ruling council or something of that kind.

So you are basically saying they should repeat the story again, with their "home" getting wrecked, but who cares, there are other worlds somewhere... maybe... perhaps...

That's not God.
That'a a virus.

Because it has. "Real" communism has never been tried on the level of nation states. Of course, the simple reason for that is the fact that it can't be implemented on such a level: the need for data analysis and distribution infrastructure are too great: "Real" communism would collapse under the weight of its own bureaucracy somewhere between the "Town of a few thousand people" where a primitive but honest form of communism can work just fine and "State of millions" where we've seen the results of reaching for it.

Fascism, at least, applies to what it's meant to apply to.

>Which makes him ANTI-nihilist, rather than a nihilistic dude.
So is Nietzsche. But Yang's twist to Nietzschean and existential ideas is that he uses them only to shit on the concept that the individual matters at all. He's turning them on their head to make them justify totalitarianism on an unprecedented scale.

>as a Democratic faction with a permanent leader
Like Franklin Roosevelt?

>People shouldn't learn from past mistakes: The Post

Let me guess - you are American, right?
And before you go pants-on-head retarded with rant about nationalism or some other shit:
I'm asking, because Americans are probably the only nation on this planet that have it as part of their culture to just pack their toys and leave once situation gets dire and try again somewhere else, rather than stay and fix their shit.

Much like the old bushy German himself, people seem to think Yang is a Nihilist because he talks about it a lot. His entire society in a sense is designed around the question of how to counter that tendency in human societies.
Predestination or not, you want to what, stay in the cradle forever? Idiotic.
>Fascism, at least, applies to what it's meant to apply to.
Killing a whole bunch of people? Because the German economy wasn't revived by them, it was mostly done by the economic minister of the Weimar Republic.

I don't see the issue with the fluff. In order to be at the forefront of reseach they need to actively pursue it. If Drones don't care about it, they will lag behind.

>Killing a whole bunch of people? Because the German economy wasn't revived by them, it was mostly done by the economic minister of the Weimar Republic.

He means that Fascism from the getgo was meant to be applied on a national level, as opposed to Communism, which for the reasons user states above, doesn't work on such a scale.

>collapse under the weight of its own bureaucrac
Ever heard about computers?

And especially Project CyberSyn? It was tested in practical means. A 1k of telex machines proved to be enough to work this shit on national scale, using VERY primitive technology for that.
So it's not a matter of "impossible due to size of bureaucracy" and more about "not applying proper resources".

Don't get me wrong, I get your point and I somewhat agree with that. But there was literally ONE attempt to ever try running a cybernetic society in a true meaning of that form, and it also happend to be under a left-leaning government.

And how it relates to SMAC?
Yang runs Hive like this.

But is he wrong? Like, that's what makes Yang so strangely appealing, because there's a rather strong argument made by how fucking successful he is given how late his quotes roll in the game.
Well, I mean don't Communistic societies have a better track record than fascist ones given that they all lasted longer? The Fascists started a bunch of wars and got themselves murdered, while the Commies just sort of rotted apart due to corruption.

Can we skip this bit please? It wasn't funny in 1968 and it's not funny now.

The end of the human era. It says so on the tin.
>Other victory types, to an extent, represent shortsighted endgames: Planet is still waking up, and the "victorious" civilization will have to deal with that.
Incinerate it with Planet busters, move on to greener pastures.

Listen you ingrate! You OWE your life, the life of your family, the life of everyone you know, everything you know, everything you do and everything you have to the human species! Even this misanthropic notion that galactic domination isn't our destiny? You owe this to our genetic disease, our sense of existential dread and self-doubt. Without humanity you are nothing, just another systematic manifestation of the mindless physics of our universe. I don't need to argue with you on this, you are wrong by the very nature of being wrong.

What I advocate is to expand to all the cradles. What transcendentals advocate is moving from one cradle to a corrupting cocoon.

Post-Soviet, but I respect the Americans greatly. Their only flaw is a democracy that allows them to elect fools for leadership.

Modern governmebts wouldnt work without trains, telecomunications, and automated systems either.

The downsides of being an average citizen living under the University just never seemed anywhere near as extreme as the others, no matter how many ways people have tried to frame the different societies against each other.

Can you really blame her for her personality shift? It starts off as "maybe we shouldn't go nuts on science stuff just because we can" to "oh shit, the genie's out of the bottle and we can't put him back in." And it's not an entirely unreasonable line of thinking when you've got dissenters getting nerve stapled, workers literally being lobotomized and turned into organic machines, retroviruses capable of wiping out all humans in any city by a few simple probe team members, teleportation technology we only somewhat understand, clone armies with no will of their own, and of course, the ever popular nuke analogs, the planetbuster, able to wipe out cities and leave unusable holes in planet. All of this amounts to one massively shitty time the vast majority of humans are going to have when governments start slinging shit at each other.

I suppose to make a modern comparison, it's like when communication across vast distances in realtime became a reality. It has humongous benefits for society through commerce, knowledge sharing, etc, but it also get repurposed for surveillance and tracking/telemetry of individuals and groups, influencing opinions through the use social engineering, and flooding through noise to cover up topics of public interest. It's not that we'd be better off without it, it's simply that we didn't foresee the potential issues that would arise from such a thing until they happened, and they stand to destroy a lot of the positive benefits we'd get.

And still adheres to a lot of themes of existentialism, Honestly, go read about that school of philosophy. Not on wikipedia, actual works about it.

And legism, too. You will understand all the seemingly weird wibes Yang has.

That ofc assumes you are familiar with confucianism and read Analects, but then again, I'm biased as a sinologist here

>Without humanity you are nothing, just another systematic manifestation of the mindless physics of our universe

Do you honestly think you aren't that?

It will be faster than bothering to argue with you.

Yes.

user, humanity exist on borrowed time. The moment it decides to expand to other planets, the moment that it will diverge into multiple species. Sooner or later the Homo Sapiens will be replaced, either by better versions of itself, one of the offprings or one of its creation. There will come a time when the stars will die out and only AI will be able to survive in the universe for a period of time longer that the stars will ever exist.

> move on to greener pastures.

And do what, exactly? Just keep on rolling with the same bullshit that has defined Human society, when instead there's an actual Answer, staring you in the face and saying, 'Nah Dog, we can both be Gods.'

>You OWE your life, the life of your family, the life of everyone you know, everything you know, everything you do and everything you have to the human species!

Go fuck yourself. The reason we're able to type this out right now was the ancient middle-easterners invented the written word so they could better account for their goods & slaves. You have an extremely idealistic take on history.

>What I advocate is to expand to all the cradles.

So we can shit and piss all over them like we did the first time, woo.

2/10, wouldn't respond again.

Germany and Italy aren't the only examples of fascism.

By this logic, modern, real-world fundies are justified, because they shit their pants about atom bomb, central government and the fact people can believe in different god and adhere to different moral codex.
Or how past fundies were shitting their pants about machine guns, cars and planes.

And so on and forth.

It's not justifying Miriam in any way. It's just classic case of religious nutjob being paranoid about things his or her religion doesn't describe or doesn't provide easy to access, always true answers.
And it's not about religion being stupid or pointless (I'm a beliving and practicing Catholic myself, so go figure before you write something about fedora tipping), but the fact you just can''t and shouldn't try to use ancient sciptures as a literal guide for your contemporary life. A life-line - sure. But taken literal? It's pure stupidity.

Oh, yes, please tell me all about the wonders of Chile, Brazil, Protugal & Spain during their Fascist governments.

Not him, but I pity you with your special snowflake mindset.

There's a reason why the Soviet union system is called Stalinism and not communism.

Everyone sort of has a tier list of loyalties they follow, though we don't really think of it as such. For example, a man might have his nation, his culture, his religion, and any other number of identities or groups he belongs to. Eventually, one of these will conflict with the other, and a choice will need to be made.

A guy who grew up in Germany, speaking German, wearing German style clothes, associating with German friends, but follows Islam might have to make a choice if the two ever clashed (And not just in the direct sense of physical conflict.). Perhaps to better fit in with the German people at large, he might consider abandoning his old faith. Perhaps he might be forced to give up his culture to retain it. Or maybe he'll attempt to keep both and simply work through the friction that it causes with either. Or to reduce it to a smaller conflict, it could be a man clashes with a co-worker and friend on an issue, and must choose between continuing with his current belief or tabling it to not antagonize his co-worker.

However, at some point, a choice will need to be made, and I think history shows that ideology carries a lot of weight when deciding who we side with.

It's more of a HFY, pseudo-nationalist mindset. He'd fit right in with the Spartans, maybe he'd be able to get off a couple shots with his flame-gun before the worms burrowed into his sweet, tasty eyesockets.

And Argentina. Let's not forget how hard they've got butt-fuck for being fascist for just SEVEN YEARS, making it an absolute world record, especially since that's the only fascist regime that didn't helped anyone with anything and made situation from good to abysmal.

Humanity is more than a simple species, or a genetic structure. Humanity exists as the sum property of itself, it's own law if you will excuse my Kantian. And I place my faith in it, and that it can survive and defeat the universal constants. Above all else, you and everyone else here owes humanity the effort to protect, fight and live for it. And when knowing that the path splits between transcending to something allegedly "greater" than humanity and the way to prove that humanity is already superior, the answer should be obvious. Every fiber of your being must be given in service to prove humanity stronger, and anything less is betrayal.

Betrayal of what? Humanity as a concept has no ability to pass moral judgement, nor does it have a consistent set of values. Simply because you externalize a force doesn't make it anything more than a concept.

If anything, you're advocating for FULL ON GAY SPACE COMMUNISM here without even realizing it.

Everyone always hates on Yang, but he was the most appealing to me from the start.

>HFY, pseudo-nationalist mindset
Well, he is Russian dreaming about highly idealised image of Soviet Union which he never experienced first-hand, so go figure.

The history of life and civilization is the history of our everlosing war against entropy. It has and it will have a lot of battles but, unless we figure out a way to reverse entropy, we will lose it. It may take billions or even trillions of years, but in the long run we are all fated to extinction, even the atoms themselves.

>Everyone always hates on Yang
Literally who and where? Just reading this thread should give you a proper assesment, somewhere around "Yang is weird, but makes a lot of good points, but is still weird and strange"

I don't have a problem with full on gay space communism as long as space is included and it cannot be disproven that any of those things are inherently inhuman or misanthropic.
Our current problem is indeed that we've got poor comprehension of what it is to be human, but this is not in and of itself an insurpassable obstacle.

>Edgy; The Post
I had to be really weird as a teen, since I never had nihilistic phase in my life.

And I'm sure the next grand Communism attempt will result in another spinoff version as well.

Until humanity can reasonably stand on the backs of robotic labor, like, actual, do-everything-we-currently-have-the-Mexicans-doing manual labor, all that neato star-trek hypersocialism stuff just isn't viable.

Define what is human or inhuman
Pro-tip: you can't, because it's the same type of bullshit concept as "natural laws". In fact, it's a direct offshot of those "laws". And much bigger minds than you tried to define that, until they eventually figured out it's impossible.