What's Veeky Forums stance on the concept of the Eternal Champion and everything it entails?

What's Veeky Forums stance on the concept of the Eternal Champion and everything it entails?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jGKNaIXtBZQ),
youtube.com/watch?v=1dF_5PMTods
youtube.com/watch?v=7pFdkkjGiEs
youtube.com/watch?v=7krC6SY5b1A
youtube.com/watch?v=I3395sRfD24
youtube.com/watch?v=LO4iKnwA6hw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's fine as long as evil guys also get one. Otherwise it's mary sue bullshit.

You see him now a veteran of a thousand psychic wars.
He's been living on the edge so long where the winds of limbo roar.

And he's young enough to look at but far too old to see. All the scars on the inside.

I'm not sure that there's anything left of him.

>Eternal Champion
Elaborate

There is. The Eternal Enemy, the Eternal Companion and the Eternal Consort.

God tier taste in music here m8

Copy pasting from the wiki

The Eternal Champion is a being that exists in different forms throughout the Multiverse. The Champion exists to uphold the Cosmic Balance, and could even be said to be an aspect or reflection of the Balance.

Whenever there is an imbalance of Law or Chaos in the Multiverse, an aspect of the Champion will be born to set the scales right again.

While some incarnations of the Champion fight for Law, and others fight for Chaos, all fight for the Balance, whether they know it or not.

The Eternal Champion always bears an aspect of the Black Sword as his or her weapon, though it may not always manifest as a sword.

Most of the time, the Champion is unaware of his true nature, and lives his life knowing nothing of his destiny until he is swept up in it. The fate of the Champion is a fell doom indeed, for the Champion can never rest, never truly die, and never truly love.

It is possible for multiple aspects of the Champion to exist in the same universe, though it is dangerous and risks damaging the Multiverse. In these cases, the individual Champions can fuse together into one composite being. All aspects of the Champion remember their past (and possibly future) incarnations subconsciously, in dreams and nightmares. Some aspects remember them consciously, which makes them either extremely adept at surviving in the Multiverse, or borderline insane.

The Eternal Champion's tale is almost always a tragic one.

Patrician taste, user. I listened to that album constantly in high school. Never understood why they aren't more respected.

Ok thanks

They are. They just made the creative decision to make the music that they wanted to make instead of what was dictated at them by studio heads so normies don't give a shit about em but fuck em. BOC is pure class.

This
They might not be recognized among musical normies and casuals, but everyone who knows shit about good music knows and respects them.

For the last fucking time stop using the term mary sue because you all punkass motherfuckers clearly don't know what it means

uh-huh

So it's grimdark Link?

It predates Link and i would not surprised if they took inspiration from it.

uh, plebian here, wich group is this?

His ass is bangin'

Blue Öyster Cult.

is quoting Veteran of the Psychic Wars (youtube.com/watch?v=jGKNaIXtBZQ), which was co-written by Moorcock himself.

Before you can understand the Astronomy needed to divine the wrongness in thee, Joan Crawford, the flaming telepath herself, will arise to let you know that this ain't the summer of love. The Godzilla-sized mistake you just made will only be matched in enormity by the Reaper himself, his black blade come to take me away. Only when the cities are on fire with rock and roll will you truly be a veteran of the psychic wars and know who this is.

Each of my campaigns has cast the characters as incarnations of the Eternal Champion(s).

Finally wove separate threads together in a 5e game, and the two Moorcock fans in the group lost their shit.

thanks glorious Patrician.

Enjoy good music user
youtube.com/watch?v=1dF_5PMTods

No problem. Though I feel obligated to note that the live version of the song is even better.
youtube.com/watch?v=7pFdkkjGiEs

I have so many questions.

How much control over their own lives does an Eternal Champion have?

Do they actually get to make decisions in their own lives or are they purely being swept along the tide of fate?

If there is control over their own lives, what happens if they make choices where they fail?

How much imbalance must exist in the chaos-order spectrum for a champion to be born?

Now I remember them from the Warhammer music threads.
Wow, That's the best way somebody has pawned me, Also thanks for the titles of their songs

It comes off as a particularly long-lived and sucessful prophecy. Very handy for the God of Heroes Archetype to use in all its incarnations.

In fact, I now realize the stored belief on it would be such a great amount that it could be used to fashion a hero out of thin air, a very plastic prana-powered tulpa. Hadn't considered my rules regarding prophecy could go so far. Another plot hook for the setting.

Thanks for teaching me about it OP. My GM will also like it.

Those are ironically the same questions raised in Stormbringer

>For the last fucking time
Thank god. We're going to hold you to that.

the Eternal Champion isn't good or evil. He's the champion of Chaos
Chaos in this case being a fundamental force of the universe of the collected works of Michael Moorcock, not grimderp 40K nonsense.
Some of them, like Jerry Cornelius are kind of unambiguously a good guy.
Others, like say, Elric of Melniboné, are the most villainous of almost any protagonist in fiction.

There are thematic reasons why Chaos might be embodied in a single entity, where order has less in the way of a corresponding hero, but that's deep analysis of aguy who, honestly I haven't read nearly enough of his stuff to comment.

really should read more.

>He's the champion of Chaos
uwotm8? Hell, most of the famous incarnations are the ones fighting chaos.

I thought that the "Eternal Consort" was not in fact the same person, that she was "one form with a multitude of souls" to counterbalance how the Champion was one soul with a multitude of forms. I.E., there's always a woman who LOOKS like Ermizahd, but they're all different people with different personalities.

Yeah, a very chaotic thing to do.

>Never understood why they aren't more respected.

I love BOC and can state for a fact that radio is the problem. Classic rock stations are the most predictable standardized shitsack institutions and they're essentially the reason most people only recognize BOC for Don't Fear the Reaper and Burnin' For You. Besides Godzilla, the Buck Dharma songs are the ones which get the overwhelming majority of airplay because they're the hits that people recognize instantly off the bad. Classic rock stations have the most obnoxiously busybody management involved and the jocks that work there are too busy wondering which way to order their The Who and Eric Clapton back-to-back marathon to care about what gets played in between that so it's always going to be the hits, which is bullshit because virtually all the metal songs BOC put out are Eric Bloom songs. You will literally never hear anything off Heaven Forbid on an fm radio station. Actually, you're more likely to hear that one hit on Club Ninja than you are to hear something off Secret Treaties even though Club Ninja was a fucking album full of ass and buttshit and Secret Treaties is the under-the-radar best album. Radioplay doesn't encourage exploration and the jocks that work there don't give enough of a shit about what they do to try playing something that isn't a greatest hits track.

>Secret Treaties is the under-the-radar best album
Holy shit thank you I thought I was the only one. Fire of Unknown origin is a close 2nd though

Tom Brady

Veeeery close second. I'd say it's the more Veeky Forums album, considering that it's in Heavy Metal

Hes the agent of Balance you pleb.
Stop thinking in warhammer terms.

I don't mind the idea of ONE HERO versus ENDLESS EVIL, honestly. It's more cynical than I'd normally go with, but it fits well with most fantasy.

Being selfless and noble is hard, being a shitbag is clearly easy as shown by.....see all those letters at the top? Click on some.

Point is it makes the players feel more important and unique while making Evil seem near endless and omnipresent.

Is it also better when ask them why they're weary? Why they can't speak to you?

>thread about the Eternal Champion
>no Black Blade
youtube.com/watch?v=7krC6SY5b1A
step it up senpai

these are the only ones I've listened to so far, but I did do dozens of times and I love them. Which others are worth checking?

I have this feeling

My luck is none too good

....no mention of Hawkwind? for shame.

youtube.com/watch?v=I3395sRfD24

He's the champion of balance. Law and Chaos are equally shitty when they win. The Eternal Champion's job is to make sure they don't.

i've listened the crap out of it, then i've listened the shit out of the nine hundred covers of it too

This sword here at my side don't act the way it should.

This sword here at my side don't act the way it should

Yes. Dragon in the Sword delves into this.

It keeps calling me its master!

But I feel like its slave

>tfw had a very similar idea and thought I was a snowflake

Welp, at least I've got some new reading material.

Hauling me faster and faster to an early, early, grave

AND IT HOWLS

IT HOWLS LIKE HELL

This is an OLD idea man.

I prefer the Eternal Whore myself.

Every women have a shard of the Eternal Whore inside of them. Some fight against it. Others try to cultivate it to gain eternal power.

Why did you feel like you had to post this? Did you think it would be funny or are you seriously this autistic?

That's fine, user. You have been enslaved by the Eternal Whore. You call yourself 'SJW', which is only the name the slaves give to themselves, under the oppression of the Eternal Whore. You aren't an Eternal Champion - you are barely an Eternal Slave.

This is fine. One day you will understand your place in the universe. One day, user. You will be able to transcend your enslaved state to actually become something else - something powerful, worthy. Not today, though.

Pray to the Eternal Champion with me. You can do it.

As a brit, I'm more familiar with Hawkwind, who Moorcock also collaberated with.
It used to be that a british band weren't considered "prog rock" until they had done at least one song inspired by his work!

BLACK BLADE

you're a moron. gaynor the damned is the champion of chaos. fucking read more.

FINALLY someone brings it up. Gaynor really is a pitiful being. Him and Klosterheim though i have have to wonder which one is worse.

BLACK blade blade blade

I'm told it's my duty

DON'T LET THESE SHAKES GO ON
IT'S TIME WE HAD BREAK FROM IT.

IT'S TIME WE HAD SOME LEAVE
WE'VE BEEN LIVING IN THE FLAMES
WE'VE BEEN EATING UP OUR BRAINS

OH PLEASE DON'T LET THESE SHAKES GO ON

YOU ASK ME WHY I'M WEARY
WHY I CAN'T SPEAK TO YOU

YOU BLAME ME FOR MY SILENCE
SAY IT'S TIME I CHANGED AND GREW

BUT THE WAR'S STILL GOING ON DEAR
AND THERE'S NO END THAT I KNOW

AND I CAN'T SAY IF WE'RE EVER

I can't say if we're ever gonna be free

I can't read frog runes.

Neither can i. But this is the one time i wish i did.

And that's all we got. And before people wonder why i posted this preview in particular
For the uninitiated
EREKOSE, CORUM AND HAWKMOON.IT'S GONNA GO FOUR WHO ARE ONE AND I CANNOT WAIT AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU.

>Live a life of misery and ruin
>See all you love lost
>Know that no matter where you go, no matter what you do, destruction will follow
>Knowing it's all down to cosmic bullshit
>You are a god among men
>A god of death and ill fortune
>You are the plaything of forces that make a mockery of all human existence
>Eternal Champion
>Raging against the dying of the light
>Doomed to almost certain failure
>Across infinite dimensions
>Infinite lifetimes
>Forever
>...
>Some newfag proclaims you "Mary-sue"
>The multiverse is cruel

>Sepiriz. Who told you the world was just?

Was Taarna an eternal champion?

>White Hair
>Wields a special sword
>Doom laden destiny
>Assigned by fate to go up against a force of ultimate evil

No joke, i genuinely believe it's canon to the Moorcock mythos.

I am the master of the universe
youtube.com/watch?v=LO4iKnwA6hw

Well, this was beautiful
Hope somebody will post the whole thing when it comes out
God I'm so hyped

To fight against the law

Blue Oyster Cult (self-titled album), Tyranny and Mutation, and Cultosaurus Erectus are other good rock albums. Agents of Fortune is their platinum album and for good reason. I would skip Mirrors and most of Spectres. Club Ninja is where the band is generally considered to have gone to shit. Entirely skippable. Imaginos is a concept album that I don't really care for but it has Sandy Pearlman so if you like that go for it. Heaven Forbid is actually like an attempt at a metal album and is completely different from every other album. Curse of the Hidden Mirror has like one HP Lovecraft song that I liked but otherwise I didn't care for it. Almost all of their live albums are worth listening to because they put new shit in each song.

>Moorcock
>More cock

MORE PENIS

Cool. What other characters fit the bill for Eternal Champion? Drizzt?

Hey, why you post my waifu.

What do you think Storrmbringer was, you idiot?

She's got the ass of one. Compare to .

Sparhawk from David Edding's Elenium series (also great example of a paladin)

Roland, the gunslinger from The Dark Tower series. (Not the godawful movie). (An amazing example pf a fallen paladin redeeming himself).

Bump

Seek help from a qualified mental health professional.

Was... Was Rhaegar an aspect of the Cosmic Champion? White hair, black sword (The Targaryans had two, right? He had a Valerian steel blade?), plagued by dreams and visions and seeks to fulfill an obscure prophesy?

Or maybe it's Dany. She has the White Hair going on, and perhaps her aspect of The Black Sword is her Black Dragon? She is also plagued dreams and visions leading her down a path, and is setting her up for something beyond the Iron Throne, maybe.

And one of Dany. I had a more bait-y picture, but I decided to go with this instead.

Roland's eternal consort ended up with his eternal companion tho.
I think I'd add Killy from Blame! and Simon from TTGL in there too.

I like Corum better than Elric. The guy is less of s cunt even though he is autistic.

I remember someone stating that Hero from TES is eternal champion, although I don't remember reasoning.

I think it's a reference to players who choose to wield Umbra.