Genies Tricks for Curing Blindness

a player of mine's character was blinded long ago by an enemy and has never been able to cure it, until recently they found a genie who curses people with the wishes, but the player knowing this said "Anything is better than being blind any longer" and wished for his sight back.

and i wasn't really expecting any of them to make a wish on the genie knowing hes an asshole. so I'm trying to come up with the downside for wishing for his sight back since thats the genies schtick.

Other urls found in this thread:

grimadventures.wikia.com/wiki/My_Peeps
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Well, you can just make him really bad sighted, he didn't say he wanted GOOD eyesight. He just said he didn't want to be blind.

Or, you know, make him mute or deaf. Either or.

Do you remember the specific wording of the wish?

"i wish to be cured of my blindness"

Or let him see partially in this universe and partially in an alternate universe.
have him roll wisdom saves occasionally to separate the two.

Imagine him scouting out a location and he sees lions, tigers, and fiendish dire duckbears.

He can now see, but it's not normal visible light vision.

It's either infrared, UV, or some other form of vision. Maybe he can "see" magic, and that means that he can see living things or magical items very clearly, but can't see rocks or nonmagical materials at all.

You could overdo the restoration. He cures him of not just being blind, but of the blindness of human sight.

Now, suddenly he has Darkvision, or if he had it already, he can see twice as far, perhaps even through magical darkness.

Details become more crisp, he's able to observe even the slightest of movements.

However, he's become super sensitive to bright light, or bright colors, or even being distracted by dust motes flying in front of his eyes.

Him working to tolerate the over-sensitivity gives a nice hinderment that isn't too debilitating, and if he overcomes it, he even gets cool vision abilities. Good way to play the asshole genie without being the asshole DM.

yea thats kind of my worry, i dont want to come out looking like an asshole GM. though everyone kinda understands what were getting into here so I'm not really to blame

Make his sight cause things like medusas stone gaze

Insert demons into his eyes as the cure

How does one go about curing this new curse should it be farm more then he bargained for?

Should this new cure leave his blindness intact? like rick and morty where rick would cure the curses off of items and they would only be beneficial.

The easy answers are;
"Inappropriate eye for body type", such as Insect eyes, stalk eyes, or a general creature's sight. Make a table, and sort it out; the bottom rung being ineffectual and weird eyes, high rung being useful eyes.
suggestions that I mgiht put down are;

Mole's eyes; Anything's better right? It's like trying to see out of pin holes. Darkvision 5 ft

Snake's Eyes/Infravision; (Mid-low) See's gradiants of heat rather than color. Can't be blinded by light, but by heat or cool. Never mistakes a vampire or illusion.

Bug's eyes; (Low Mid Range) Disorienting 50x vision; but it's better than nothing. Cannot really be disguised; cannot close eyes. Great passive perception

Fish eyes; (Mid range), perfectly usable, perfectly creepy. Can never close eyes, but cannot get dust in them.

Goat's/Cow's/Horse's eyes; (Low mid) Great passive perception, horrid depth perception.

Normal Eyes (Likely perfect middle)

Crocodile's/lizard's eyes; like normal, but have a clear eyelid that allow for water and keeping dust out- but this could also hamper clear vision

Elf's/cat's eyes; ( high middle) Slightly better vision and keen vision

Dwarf's eyes/Orc's eyes; (High mid) Normal and darkvision

Dragon's Eyes/(Other neat creature's); Lizard+Cat's eyes, plus the ability to see magic.

Golem's eyes/scrying eyes; (High) Magical eyes that cannot be damaged by normal means; darkvision and low light, may be detachable/sighted, may see magic

God's eyes; (The best) As true scrying, all the goddamn time, can be filtered.

"Blindness" can refer to so many things. Maybe he's no longer blind to the motivations he would oppose and can no longer turn a blind eye to it. Maybe he can longer be blind to the suffering around him, and is acutely aware of it even when he would wish otherwise. Maybe he is no longer blind to things man was not meant to see, and it's slowly driving him insane. And so on.

That actually seems like a pretty cool idea.

I like this. There was this boxer dude from an anime where his eyes where so good he had to wear black shades because his brain couldn't keep up with how good his sight was.
Time limit troupe , this fight can only last two mins. But it was a fun fight. Ahhhh childhood memory's

I'd just give him Drow eyes, disadvantage in direct sunlight or equivalent. All these recommendations of limited or fragile vision will be too hard to keep track of and implement

If it ends up being overly cruel, just allow him to remove curse, or... You know, Have a wizard be willing to help somehow; such as by giving them prosthetics in exchange for studying the magic that weaved them into vision.

>Anything is better than being blind any longer
This is the important bit. Subverting and fucking with him is all good and well, but what you really want to do is twist this.
Make him into a functioning pair of disembodied eyeballs with no way of interacting with the world. He can see for all eternity, and that's it.

Also, if this is dnd they are casting wish. What has its own defined spell limits. Check to see what geine you are using and what his limits are.

>Also, if this is dnd they are casting wish.
No. THEY are not casting anything. The GENIE is using a spell-like ability. That's an important distinction in a situation like this. Curing blindness using a Wish is trivial. Wording a Wish so that the genie will do exactly what you want and nothing more is very much not so.

Ok. So I went back and read the 5th . Yep, it's all about wording and the aliment of the caster.
It's about what he can gain from a poorly worded wish, so in this case.
He can see normal but the genie can see through his eyes.

Best solution. Have the genie be mischevious on all the other wishes, ALL the others, but have this one "Have no apparent side effects" There's a 50% chance your PCS will end up gouging out his eyes out of paranoia

i think if theres no apparent effects then the player will be more than happy, it seems the player hates the blindness more than anything and is willing to take anything less severe. and if theres no effects he will likely count it as a blessing

As a player, I would probably wait until I see an effect before taking any action.

That's why you have the other two be mokey pawed, preferably in subtle ways. The monkey paw with the eyes is your own brain

OP here, the genie in question only granted one wish per person instead of 3 before disappearing, and only one of them took the wish.

And were not playing d&d, however 90% of the stuff i throw into this game is just stuff from other systems, i re work stuff all the time for convenience

Damn. You could still work with this if you do the setup right though. I might just be overestimating player paranoia since I once ran a dungeon where the first level was randomized and had some traps, and for LITERALLY EVERY OTHER LEVEL They searched EVERYWHERE for traps. And ONLY traps. I had several secret doors (A lot actually) and they NEVER searched for them.
Also that reminds me of the time I crushed a player's willingness to abuse the summoning of genies for infinite wishes

I'd go a little more philosophical with it. The character's literal blindness isn't just cured, his mental blindness is. He know sees and understands a great deal of things about the world. Especially the bad stuff.

Cripple his brain with despair.

I'd say the best one would be to give him eyes that are sensitive to bright light but have darkvision, like a Drow. Better than being blind like he wanted, and even and upside in some ways, but the sun being unpleasant is a rather harsh downside from an RP perspective.

Are his eyes still in the sockets? If not, restore his sight to a pair of eyes completely unattached to his body somewhere in the world.

His eyes are cured and he can see again, the problem is that his eyebulbss aren't with him anymore and has to track them with just what he sees through them
He is still technically blind, as he can't see things near himself, but also technically cured, since his eyes work perfectly
Also he can't stop seeing due to his eyelids not being over the eyebulbs so have fun with that

>Wish has its own defined spell limits
Not for the DM it doesn't

Remember that episode of Grim Adventures of Bill and Mandy where Billy gets Grim to fix his eyesight?
grimadventures.wikia.com/wiki/My_Peeps

You know plato's allegory of the cave? Guess who's new eyes will never let them leave the cave?

Go the Hile Troy route. He has a sort of magical sight that is completely unrelated to how his former vision worked. In the short term, he has tremendous difficulty keeping his balance and dealing with the new sensory input. It might not work the way his original vision did, he might be more or less able to see in bright or dark conditions, or if it's explicitly magical, maybe he's detecting the amount of magical emanations from things, so perceives really arcane stuff as super bright, mundane stuff only with difficulty, and if there's an anti-magic field, he can't see into it at all.

Then, sometime later, at least leave the possibility open that he could lose the sight and be in trouble again, now having lost or atrophied all of the skills he relied on when he was sightless.

The point of genies is to mock man's hubris. A humble request for healing like this? Just fucking give it to him.

Seconded, genies aren't supposed to fuck with people just to fuck with them

Nowadays they do. They might have been originally meant to mock man's hubiris, but nowadays you either have Genie from Disney's Aladdin or a giant smoke penis

you miss something, this genie is the outlier, in the OP it states that this Genie clearly dicks people on their wishes and tats why theyre there.

He can only see the color yellow.

He is no longer blind. To anything.

He sees what lies beyond the Veil, he sees the schemes of Fate, the future and the past, the beginning and the end. He sees his own death and that of the party.

Unfortunately nobody believes a word of what he says about any of that. Only about the things he shouldn't see of course, the curse has no effect on mundane matters.

Your player is now Cassandra, but with slightly better chances due to being able to put up some kind of fight without needing anyone to believe him.

All the clever metaphorical things reek too much of bullshit and if a DM pulled that on me I'd roll my eyes hard enough to become blind IRL. But very limited eyesight is fair game. I'd go with him being legally blind - past five feet in front of him it's all blurry shapes, if even that. Disadvantage on all spot checks. Too near-sighted to read and write. Bright lights blind him. Those sorts of things.

The first thing he sees is the genie's shrivelled nutsack dangling an inch from his eyes.

Actually, come to think of it, restoring someone's eyesight and then forcing them to witness something so horrible they wish they were blind sounds like a perfect genie dick move.

He can see again, perhaps a bit too well. He can now see things that were not meant for the minds of mortals.

>He can now see, but it's not normal visible light vision.
This would count as being blind.

If another human is at the same situation as the player and we would call this human blind, than the player character is blind

tell us about this character, if we know what motivates him and what struggles hes been through we can come up with something better.

maby the genie can "cure him of his blindness" by revealing a great secret about his past or or helping him to understand his own motivation on a deeper level.

He wants to be cured of his blindness? Fine, let him see things no mortal man wishes to see. He can peer beyond the veil. Ghosts haunt his sight. Demons cackle and cavort. He is now aware of the universe beyond our own. Think Bloodborne, and insight. Eyes, eyes inside of our brain to cure our beastly idiocy

He gets his sight back, by having eyes grow over his entire fucking body anno that one greek fellow, argus or something. argo?

Have him see TOO MUCH.

Actually, blatantly rip off Saya no Uta.

"I wish to have eyesight as good as yours."

I mean, the Genie can blind himself if he wants, but I kind of doubt he's that much of a self-destructive asshole.

Give him the vision of an NPC character or creature, as in he can only see through their eyes. He'll have to drag the NPC along on dangerous adventures, but you can play fun eyes-around-the-corner games.

Why would anyone even agree to the whole wish-granting thing if people are just going to be assholes about it?

Bloodborne Tier- Eyes in his brain
Also Bloodborne Tier- Aberration Eyes
Also Bloodborne/D&D tier - Gets a beholder Eyestalk instead that make him look snail-like.
Eyes in his palms also.

He gets his sight back, but its TOO good.
He sees both things he should see and all the things he shouldn't.
Eldrich beings that torment his mind and drive him to madness and even to actions beyond any of his control.

You're missing the big picture. If this one goes off without a hitch, the players will be more trusting the nest time.

Give him a magic amulet that takes the sight of whoever's wearing it, as long as they're nearby. So HE can see, so long as someone else in the party is blind.

How about a magic amulet that lets him see through someone else's eyes?

Sauce?

>eyebulbs
I believe the medical term is ' ganderbulbs'

1. He didn't say for how long.
2. He didn't say how.
I say his sight is restored at the cost of another's or via some unpleasant/problematic means that run him into trouble. Or make it a temporary restoration. Or a partial one. As one might say a man that can't see, that can now see a little is no longer blind.

Sounds like win-win scenario to me.

Did he specifically wished for his sight or just sight? If the later, he might see again, but only through the eyes of some random bloke on the other side of the world.

Hitman reborn. Classic shonen jump
I think it was ruined by the sideplot about the baby hitmen that ran thoughout the story, SS with a baby that acts like an adult

It's about a kid who is next Inline to be the head of an Italian Mafia, but with superpowers
It's in the same vain as my hero. But not quite as charming

Lambo is oddly endearing after a while.

Give him Raistlin's eyes. He sees everything as time affects them, so when he looks at someone he'll see them withering then decomposing, while if he looks at food all he'll see is a pile of urine and feces.

>"i wish to be cured of my blindness"
Yeah. Sure, you could argue that the genie could cure his blindness and then make everyone else on the planet blind, but that's two clauses instead of one, and a whole lot more work than just casting cure blindness on the guy.

It's like hearing "I wish to be able to fly" and casting flight on the guy then blowing up the planet because he didn't say "I wish to be able to fly AND that the planet didn't explode."

GRANT. HIM. EYES.

Honestly it went to shit long before the Curse of the Rainbow arc. The ALIENS at the end were just salt on the wound

The problem was I kept thinking it was going to do cool stuff again. Just It didn't. I think the boxer vs boxer fight was the highest point.
My problem is I don't like dropping stuff once I read a whole bunch of it.
The *Lairs game* manga still stings ands it's been a few years.

But I shouldn't get off topic. You get the screamers saying take it back to the /a/ in a minute.

>Op!
What you thinking so far. When's the game? I want to know what happens?