>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

>Thread question:

What do you think of formats that limit the rarity of the cards you use, like gentry (Allows only 4 unique rares/mythics and 15 uncommons per deck) and Magic Duels format (Allows only 1 of each mythic, 2 of each rare, 3 of each uncommon, 4 of each common)?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ub-eldrazi-aggrocontrol/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lightning-bolt-tribal/
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/level-one/level-one-full-course-2015-10-05
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-02-17-bug-dredgevine/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/modern-bug-dredgevine/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

are there any fun hipster glass cannon combo decks?

i know protean hulk combo is one

Narset cannon and forest belcher

Turbo Narset and Grishoalbrand come to mind

Cheerios.

Literally any interaction fucks you up.

Is Modern Pay-to-win?

There's an initial fee, but throwing more money at it isn't going to make you win, so no it is not.

Ehhhhh.... Yes?
Many decks are cheap, but they're more than likely cheap because they either suck right now or just aren't being played. If you buy Abzan/Jund you'll have enough invested capital to just sell out and buy into any other deck you're feeling.
The top decks obviously cost the most, due to demand from pro players

Yes, play jund and you literally never lose.

Jund is Tier 3.

Don't listen to
Jund actually sucks dick right now, all 3 Jund players in my meta converted/scrapped their decks to/for Eldrazi Tron, Abzan, and BW Pox

>Lantern Tier 2
>Gifts STorm Tier 1
Yeah, no.

No, since the most expensive decks like Jund and Abzan are actually pretty horrible atm and Affinity and Burn are cheap and tier 1 eternally.
The only format that is pay-to-win is Commander because the ban list is so lax. Just buy a ton of reserved/expensive cards like Moat, Yawgmoths Will, The Abyss, Imperial Seal, Grim Tutor and so on and your deck becomes more powered up the more money you pump in.

Before recently, I generally stuck to staples that had a chance at beating all the high tier stuff at my LGS: so I generally stuck to affinity and death's shadow, sometimes throwing in something like merfolk, tron, or RG Valakut. But I started going to a new store very recently, and it's so chocked full of scrubs that I look forward to playing whatever I want without worrying about going 0-3 drop. Last night I tried Bring to Light and even though I won't play it again, because I think it kinda sucks, I had a good time pummeling my way to 3-0 (small crowd). I'm sure I'll eventually make my way through all the garbage decks in modern and long for some real competition, but for now, it's refreshing.

As for the thread question, I've not played any of those formats. If I can't find opponents to play a format, I don't see the point of bothering with it.

You know tiers are determined by playrate, right?
MTGO data doesn't lie.

What's an inexpensive way to convert my UB Eldrazi deck into something that's competitive or at least playable in Modern? I was looking at Tron but that's a 800 dollar deck.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ub-eldrazi-aggrocontrol/

Current deck for reference

Shit dude, you need Polluted Deltas and Watery Graves.

Bant Eldrazi or Gx Eldrazi.

Your first purchase should be Eldrazi Temples. Without those, there's not much point to running Eldrazi.

>MTGO data doesn't lie
MTGO data is complete ass since they changed reporting. I want data transparency back.

Forgot to mention the deck linked is just my deck for standard

>What you playing,
Devoted/Counters Company, whatever you wanna call it.
>hating,
Don't really hate it but GDS is rough.
>building?
Genesis Wave. I need Prime Times and Selkies.

Played in a PPTQ today at my LGS with 26 people. I went 3-0 in swiss and ID'd the last two rounds. Top 8'd and lost first round to a friend who was playing GDS, though I beat him earlier. Normally we get a lot more people from out of town for PPTQs, but there were like 3 others going on nearby.

Would wait for after August 26 and the BnR update before buying into Eldrazi. Someone might hate Eldrazi and Tron at the DCI and ban Temple or Tron Lands (which would lower the price of Eldrazi staples).

>Wizards changes which decks are published from the data pool
>this means the data pool is wrong

That's not how this works. The correct line would be to question whether MTGO data matches realworld, or to question the algorithms used to sort decks into archetypes.
Complaining about which five decks get sampled by Wizards is irrelevant here.

>this means the data pool is wrong
It means that the representation of the data pool is wrong.

>wrong
Now you've done it.

Thanks for the reminder... forgot that Modern PPTQs are back.

2 or 4 Galvanic Blasts main in Affinity?

What are Jund players doing nowadays? In the greater meta (for the whole state), Jund (and Jeskai control) used to be unusually popular. Last year I did well with Eldrazi for the PPTQ season.

I'm a 2 Blast man, but I suppose it depends on your meta.

>Tron is an 800 dollar deck.
Only if you buy Chalices
Regular Gx Tron is like 400 USD tops and 90% of that price is purely because of a playset of Karn.

One mana Boros Charm just sounds too good, I'm a 4 of man myself

Let's say this comes out in the new Dominaria set. I know it will dominate Standard. How will Modern change?

Countering Force
U
Instant
----------------------------------------------------------
As an additional cost to cast Countering Force, pay 1 life and exile a blue card from your hand.

Counter target spell.
----------------------------------------------------------

If too format warping, if it was 1U would it be more balanced?

Modern doesn't want efficient counters

Now, something that'd be interesting would be 1U - Counter target spell, it's controller may cast another spell from their hand with CMC less than the countered spell without paying its mana cost this turn.

Jund players rolling into DSJ, and from there, into GDS or I believe, Abzan.
Jund itself is dead.

Affinity is pretty good vs both, right?

Affinity is the best pure aggro deck since the fall of Infect.

make it cost 3UU but have it just be 'counter target spell' and you can cast it without paying the mana cost if you exile a blue card from your hand and lose 1 life, instead.

That's the point, to pay tribute to FOW but be weaker.

B L U E S T A F F
L U E S T A F F
U E S T A F F
E S T A F F
S T A F F
T A F F
A F F
F F
F

Narset seems like a shitty version of the Griselbrand deck

I think i'll give the Belcher deck a shot

Eldrazi are gay, just play burn my dude. Nothing in the deck will ever be banned, every card in the deck is good, and matches will always end with at least 20 minutes left so you can go get subway, have a smoke or masturbate in the bathroom.

Just one word:

Chalice

I'm a homosexual so I play a 3/3 split of Blast and cast with one of each in the SB
Thoughtcast seems to be the better card in my experience

One word Revelry :^^^^^^)

I actually like smash to smithereens more in the eldrazi matchups.

Smash is nice desu but unless you know what kind of crap is in the meta Revelry is better. When going to a big 100 person tournament its always a better idea to bring Revelry

Well I pack both in the sb, I'm just saying for that specific matchup I bring in smash to smithereens. Also main 1 deflecting palm

since jund is so dead is punishing fire a safe unban?

Mid posting your list burnbro? I'm curious as to what you are affording to cut in exchange for those Smash in you SB
This is my personal dumpster fire tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lightning-bolt-tribal/

No. They would need to ban Grove first

Don't have tapped out but it's the usual package, minus 4 helix to make way for 1 thunderous wrath, 1 deflecting palm, and 2 shard volley. Sb is a mess since I haven't really put money into it but it's 4 destructive revelry, 2 smash to smithereens, 2 blessed alliance, 2 paths, 1 lavamancer and 1 fog

Krark-Clan Ironworks

Actually Chalice at 2 kills burn. All you are left with is riftbolts and your little guys crashing against the eldrazi. Only Monastery Swiftspear could scratch them if you get enough stuff countered.

More like pay-to-compete. There are a lot of different decks that can perform well right now, but they're all going to set you back probably $500 or more, depending on the deck and any budgetary substitutions (running painlands instead of fetches, for example).

Ultimately, if you want to play Modern, my suggestion is that you pick a deck that has lots of pieces that can be re-used in other Modern decks. Noble Hierarch, Thoughtseize, etc.

Nothing looks terribly in danger of banning, with the possible exception of Death's Shadow (though I'd disagree with it).

4 of. It's amazing how many games come down to those last 4 points of damage, and you want to maximize your chances of hitting them.

Bad Eldrazi Tron players , theres a staggering amount of them, will always put Chalice on one. Ive almost never seen them hold off until they can put it on two because they panic.

Has anyone tried hazoret in ponza?
I'm thinking of cutting my one thragtusk and one of my two storm breaths to add 2.

I think temple have higher chance getting banned. Temple are like ancient tomb without downside.

2 in main and 2 in the side is fine. Personally I just prefer to run all 4 in the main. Though to be fair I also run weird shit like Pia's Revolution. It's basically Athreos, God of Passage but for Artifacts.

Why even bother? The format has access to Censor now which is going to be the "Daze" of the format. Give it time to catch on.

>give time for Censor to catch on

Censor in modern will never be compared to Daze in Legacy

Don't be retarded

3 and one Claim//fame

Going to sell my B/W Pox Deck, what should I buy into anons?

> Affinity
> B/U Faeries
> U/W Control

Affinity and UW Control seem better than Faeries in the meta but Faeries seems pretty fun/interactive.

what's the best way to bully a Magic player?

Affinity after the 28th

Lantern control

Affinity gives you access to all the fun artifact shenanigans decks.

I was definitely leaning towards Affinity, also I was gonna say Lantern Control too, but you have to make sure you take your turns really slow while tapping and untapping with a puzzled look, then just play a land kek.

how do I make it less shit? new to making decks

I didn't realize that returning from graveyard to play =/= casting from your graveyard, so vengevine is almost useless right? or do I want to hold on to 1 drops to cast from my hand for him? seems very inefficient. any feedback is appreciated yes I know it sucks

also, I was considering going down 1 troll since having more than one on the field doesn't seem helpful, and maybe adding in the 3 mana zombie knight that you can cast from the graveyard to make more fuel for vengevine and make it easier to bring back gravecrawlers

Scourge of Nel Toth isn't modern legal m8.

Why do control players always look like such huge fucking autists?

Because only autists play control.

Is there any beginners guide for general purpose card game fundamentals? Something similar to the footsies handbook for fightan games.

Is G/W Value Town for real? I've been wanting to build a company deck for awhile and I've got 4 companies just kinda doing nothing but sit on my desk right now.

If you could build any deck right now, what would it be?

Just build bant spirits with CoCo and have fun

I just found this exists and I want to make a dumb deck with it and Curse of death's hold.
What's the best way to cheat bitterheart witch's LTB trigger so I can pile the curses? Or is there a better way to get them in play?

bant spirits player here, it's fun

but fuck all is dust

My buddy plays Bant spirits and loves the deck. I rock E&T, and the matchup is always super fun.

LIGHTNING STORM
is a fun deck.

Careful Study isn't either

Enduring Ideal

Just played my first game against Tron with my new Affinity deck, god dam was that a rush!

> Have a god hand first game and drop it all by T2, got him down to 2 life by T3
> He got Tron the last turn but he had to tap out for it
> He untaps and slams and activates Oblivion Stone and my heart drops, I'm in top deck mode now, and next turn he plays Karn, GG
> Game 2 I get an OK draw, end up just having Drums and Opal out T1, then play Pest, Skirge and Plating. He has no answer and I manage to Galv Blast him just before he untaps with Tron
> Game 3 he mulls to 4 and I know its GG, I got the nuts draw.

Fuck Tron, I don't feel bad for him at all.

esper spirits >> all other spirits

i got bored with mono red tron, i think i'm going to try to build a vehicles deck in modern.

should i try to splash a third color?
black gives me push, liliana, scrapheap scrounger, lingering souls
green gives me renegade rallier and coco.
blue gives spell queller and shu yun i guess?

Because they are.

>Showing a Cryptic Command to get your opponent to concede when he's got like three tec edges on board to take you off your blue

A bold strategy

>It's mono blue only using islands.

Reid Duke's Level One is specifically about Magic but it's pretty good for understanding card advantage, tempo, etc: magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/level-one/level-one-full-course-2015-10-05

Look for BUG Dredgevine decks. Here's a couple lists:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-02-17-bug-dredgevine/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/modern-bug-dredgevine/

>other thread q

if you had to, what ravnican guild would you join and why?

Play Tron with all Chinese mismatched Tron pieces and tell your opponent you have Tron at all times.

A strict judge would deem that cheating. Just like you arent allowed to use a certain misprinted German land that uses another lands art. I think its plains and its a forest art but it might be the other way around.

Banned at REL Competitive Tournaments

>playing an unfair deck
>complain about an unfair deck
Congrats on the win, but this is a classic lack of self-awareness.

I never said I was playing a fair deck. I'm just saying Fuck Tron. I've always played decks that ate Affinity for breakfast but lose hard to Tron, so its a nice change for me.

Anyone else notice U/W control and its variants seem underrepresented? I think its the best deck right now but people just don't want to play control.

>play Affinity
>removal actually does something against you
>Sideboard cards absolutely destroy the deck, Stony Silence turns off almost everything in the deck
>Actually have to think about your plays

>play Tron
>removal does almost nothing against Reality Smashers, Matter Reshapers, and Wurmcoil Engines, get two for oned all the time
>Laugh off sideboard cards, nice Fulminator Mage scrub
>No thought or skill required just assemble the lands and slam your topdecks, occasionally have to think about what your opponent is on when casting Chalice.

maybe we could use a card thats like a 3 cmc that says distroy target colorless creature or somthing

or if your blue you could snag a copy of ceremonious rejection