EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Mirror Match" Edition

RESOURCES

>Full C17 Decklists:
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/commander-2017-edition-decklists-2017-08-11

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Namefag bitchfest, but people often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question
What's your favorite new card out of C17? Hardmode: no legends

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/2Oq02
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/new-thda/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Previous:

You guys ever consider playing a real format?

>What's your favorite new card out of C17?
Teferi's agoraphobia

No, not even considered.

I did my Type 1, 1.5 and 2 playing in my more formative years. I don't need to prove anything to anyone. I enjoy playing commander, and if I do feel the need to win that hard, I'll play sealed.

You think I started with EDH? The other formats are shit, save maybe pauper.

Why the fuck would I want to spend $1000 or more for a competitive modern deck? Or a similar amount for standard only to have it all rotate out?

Don't even get me started on legacy/vintage.

Teferi's "C'mon guys I gotta take a shit."

From previous thread:

Ok, you tell me where on this sheet you can see "Legendary Planeswalker"? Also that would mean Hostage Taker is still broken as fuck.

Second row tenth card looks like there is another word before "planeswalker". Could be legendary.

You ever considered shitposting on a real board?

Yes, but my entire collection is singles and I'd have to spend like 700 bucks on a good deck that may or may not win.

But eventually I will.

>Why the fuck would I want to spend $1000 or more for a competitive modern deck?

>tfw you spent $200 on Affinity back in the early days of Modern and have had to spend maybe $10 keeping it up to date throughout the years

It's great.

I hate how wizards said that they acknowledged that people hated the gatewatch, and goes and prints a new jace. Just fucking stop shoehorning them in every set.

Only play EDH, vintage, and legacy.

Also from previous thread.

Look at Jace, top left.
His ultimate says you make two copies of him, except they're not legendary.

Hostage Taker is either getting a day 1 errata, or they're going to close that entire rules loophole.

>The other formats are shit
the only shit format is standard and thats because it rotates to fast

It takes WotC like three years to react to the fanbase because set designs are done so far in advance.

Standard pauper is my newest drug.

If I have to see one more Gideon I'm going to snap. There are a million other planeswalker they could bring back but nope.

Might as well build a gideon edh deck once we have enough gideon-related stuff.

>Also that would mean Hostage Taker is still broken as fuck.

Can someone explain how Hostage Taker and Legendary Planeswalkers supposedly intersect at all?

Hadn't had anyone point out the Jace one, only the R/W one, but yeah that seems pretty clear. And I don't know how they missed the Hostage Taker fuck up. So easy to fix too, just add may, or other.

How does one get into legacy?

Hostage taker just takes the entire game hostage.

>
When Hostage Taker enters the battlefield, exile target artifact or creature until Hostage Taker leaves the battlefield. You may cast that card for as long as it remains exiled and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast that spell.
2/1

Take out a mortgage

>just add may

That wouldn't fix it, since the real issue is that it goes infinite with cards like Vela or Impact Tremors. If you can still voluntarily go infinite with it, it's a broken card.

They don't, but since they are on the same sheet, if one's real so is the other.

Yeah, but someone outline where "Also that would mean" that comes in.

I thought they said that their defeat in Hour of Devastation was a reaction to the hatred on the gatewatch.

It goes infinite with itself is the problem. Game's a draw.

Oh I see. Probably just the confirmation that the card is real too like said.

Hold on, are you crying fake on the entire sheet? So, you're suggesting someone commissioned a bunch of MtG artists and printed their own sheet for a prank? If any of this was just art lifted from the internet, people would've caught it the first day.

If they don't either do a day 1 errata or some kind of massive rules overhaul, then Hostage Taker is a self-contained infinite ETB/LTB trigger in itself (and it's not a game lock since you can choose to target something else whenever)

It only goes infinite with itself if you have literally no other targets. If there are other targets, they can just call a judge on you for slow play.

Prepare to lose!

No, I am admitting they are more likely real than not. My point is that there are still issues with being real i.e. Hostage Taker.

I've already priced it out, I can build b/r reanimator for like $500, with the singles I have. That's hardly a mortgage, that's like a month of fancy groceries.

Impact Tremors / Purphoros / Vela / etc all say hi.

Please follow the conversation. I already mentioned that.

If there are any ETB triggers then it's banned in every format where it's legal.

Apologies, just ignore me in that case.

See I said They responded That interaction was already covered.

And you don't see someone dropping this, fuck even in standard, after a board-wipe and no artifacts out? It will happen.

I don't, because I'm entirely certain it will either have a day one errata or they're going to change the fundamental interaction of the loop.

Mairsil is probably the best thing to come out of C17.

>>tfw you spent $200 on Affinity back in the early days of Modern and have had to spend maybe $10 keeping it up to date throughout the years
>It's great.
Not all of us are so lucky, user.

Please, then, defend the ridiculous prices to get into modern or, god forbid, vintage/legacy?

Either live near some people tbat play or play on cockatrice or some other free online program. Legacy isn't played everywhere so you've got to check if any stores nearby have tournaments, most don't.

Day one errata, while shitty and I expect better from Wizards at this point, is acceptable. but:

> they're going to change the fundamental interaction of the loop

That would be one hell of a change to the game. What would you propose for such a change?

I didnt say they werent expensive

Either fake or it comes with a rules change.

>What would you propose for such a change?
"Permanents are no longer legal targets for their own effects."
Screencap this.

Except they didnt really get defeated, they just walked away

REEEEEEEEEEEE

It can't be true!

>His ultimate says you make two copies of him, except they're not legendary.
Planeswalkers aren't legendary.

I said defeated, not killed.

Go watch the Professor's video showing how many quality board games you can buy for the price of a single modern deck.

They are/will be in Ixalan.

A simple dependency clause. If the ability of a permanent with a duration of "for as long as you control that permanent" would exile that permanent, it doesn't.

They're about to be.

>"Permanents are no longer legal targets for their own effects."

Are you retarded? That would affect the game so fundamentally that I don't even know. And that's not counting shit that was designed to be targeted by its own shit.

Source?

Considered Legacy; price is an issue but manaless dredge looks promising.

imgur.com/a/2Oq02
5 over, 3 down is Jace

I didnt say they werent expensive

Better than 54914129's suggestion, but still not terribly intuitive or simple. I'd rather the day one errata.

You do know when something says "... on [this]" that isn't targetting itself, right?
It has to specifically use the word "target" to be targetting something. If it uses its own name, it's not targetting at all.

I know you didn't. I'm asking you to justify the price when you can build several EDH decks for the cost or buy a whole collection of board games.

When the decks are that expensive just to be competitive, the format sucks.

>they didn't really get defeated
>Synapses crumbled. Pain blossomed. Insanity beckoned. A towering wave of darkness rose in the distance. Jace knew the crash of that wave meant dissolution. Mind-death.
>"Away," Bolas said. "Away. I will find you, and then we will talk. There are so many useful matters to discuss. Go now, Liliana Vess."
>Pain coursed through her body. Several of her ribs were broken. - Wow, that's a lot of pain.
>She realized the truth now. She never had a chance. The land had submitted to Bolas long ago, had acknowledged its master. She had to be away, away, but the tendrils of corruption held her in place.
>He willed his body through the Blind Eternities, the hole the dragon left in his shoulder only the most visible of his wounds.
>they didn't really get defeated

see and If you look closely in the large image, Jace, Vraska, and the RW planeswalker all appear to have a supertype.

If you look at the corner with Jace in it, his ability clearly states "two tokens that are copies of Jace", "Castaway except they're not", and "ary". There's not really any other word that could possibly fit there at the end other than legendary, and there's no way the ability could work as written without switching Planeswalkers onto the Legendary Rule.

I was referring to stuff that does say target, but was designed with the idea of being able, and possibly wanting to, target itself. See pic related.

They may go with the rules revision because:
>It closes out the interaction with Alligned Hedron Network
>It keeps them from having to do work around it with any future cards
>It shaves just a bit of rules text off of cards

I'm begging for super-secret Mimeoplasm tech.

any sellers to avoid on TCGplayer? Any really trusted ones? I only wanna buy like 2 bucks worth of stuff right now

Reposting from.last thread

So bought a few cheap foil commons at my lgs to de ink and turn into tokens for my shiny zada deck.

I've seen tutorials that used acetone and a cottonball to quickly get the ink off. I tried the same thing today (96% acetone and a paper tpwel) and after 20 minutes of decently hard circles manages to de ink maybe 40% Of the card. I read that cards from older sets are harder to do but it can't be this difficult, am I doing something wrong?

>that guy who drops all his lands on turn 1

use the cart optimizer to order it all from tcg direct. avoid spanky like the plague

How much acetone are you applying? You don't want to douse them, but the cards can take a bit more than you first think. Also it does depend what set they're from. My local artfag says Dragon's Maze comes off easily.

Yes, I play Legacy

Big Red all day, baybee

I play Modern. So no.

What's wrong with Spanky? I've never bought from him but I'd like to know.

anyone have that shitty mspaint comic where the guy decides to play commander after surveying all the other formats in the store?

I don't think this semen slurping format is for me guys.

God I love these, thanks user.

What are you, some sort of faggot, don't want to slurp semen?

thanks

>You guys ever consider playing a real format?

Doesn't interest me. I can watch tournaments on Twitch and that's about as close as I want to get to that.

This image is pretty great.

"containment zone".

I feel like I'm a crazy person because everybody is excited but I have no interest at all in mairsil, had no interest in kraj and this is just the same shit. Convoluted activated ability jank is boring to me

There's also this one.

i thought about doing this, I hope it isn't hard
Also thought it would be funny to have a token of mairsil with a rat head photoshopped on him for when he exiles a pack rat.

Also I have a expidition arid mesa that I immediately doublesleeved and packed away and don't feel like bringing to the store. Playgroup doesn't seem to mind proxies if you own the card.

For me, convoluted jank is the heart and soul of EDH. It's what I play for.

I always cringe when people explain the convoluted jank in their decks to me

Why is that? EDH is the only format where such jank can actually be playable to some degree.

Because I'd rather talk about my convoluted jank.

Now that's what I like to hear.

It just seems masturbatory

I like seeing somebody pull of some cool multi step instant speed play to interact with the opponent, for instance, like maybe they flickered a dude, got a Tutor to hand, tutored a thing to top deck, cantripped, then cast the thing, all in response. That's cool.

What I don't like is watching some dude giggle about how he got to put all these charge counters on things and waste all our goddamn time while losing the game

need to cut 5 cards, any suggestions? tappedout.net/mtg-decks/new-thda/

With all of the artifact mana you run, you could easily cut 2-3 lands and be fine.