"I didn't see a thread already up" Edition

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT: >54829837

OT: I fucked up at the end, oops.

I think you forgot to put that in a planeshifted frame, buddy.

I thought Planeshifted frames were only for cards that were functionally the same as other cards, except for color (i.e: Black Knight and Blood Knight)?

I think he was >implying that the card is off-color. Green doesn't get countermagic.

"Whenever an opponent cast a nonred spell, ~ deals damage to that player equal to the number of nonred spells cast this turn."
This is no way deters combo.

Weird counter spells general?

creatures count as spells, so the wording here is redundant. otherwise, nice card

No. "Creature or spell" here means "creature on the battlefield or spell on the stack". Cards are only spells when they're on the stack.

Good god, learn the rules before you make cards people.

The part he meant I think was "that spell or creature deals 4 damage to its controller" is redundant.

This seems pretty odd, plus Red already has ways to deter casting creatures or counteract the use of instant/sorcery spells in the form of burn and copy/redirect effects.

More interesting might be a card that had a spell deal damage equal to its cmc to the controller unless they shuffled it into their library and drew another card instead. That helps Red against bigger threats that are hard to burn down and can also help get make an opponent think twice on an enchantment. The shuffle and draw fits Red better as a sort of Chaos Warp effect. I think it would need to be more expensive though.

I'm not too certain on the name. It doesn't really address the fact that it's a giant dragon levying taxes.

As for the card itself, I think it seems fine, aside from the wording that mentioned. It may be a bit expensive, as most of the time people will only be casting one or two spells each turn, so the overall damage will be minimal, especially since it's landing so late in the game. I'd say you could bring it down to 4 cmc without issue, and possibly push it at 3 if you really wanted it to shut down strategies relying on spamming a bunch of spells while also being more efficient as part of an average red deck as extra burn.

Trying out more things with Emerge. I'm liking how it works thus far with larger creatures in Blue and Black, since it means they aren't as reliant on cheap creatures. I am a bit uncertain on whether to keep the old Blue mechanic of Filter, which was similar but had a flat cost and a bounce rather than a cost reduction and a sac. Right now it's only still on a few cheap creatures where it functions more as utility.

Why are you capitalizing keywords?

Bumpity zumpity

Old shit. Bump, I guess, as well.

>Card maker cannot into contractions

Bad habit

Seems pretty useful for graveyard based strategies. I might make it a 3 mana 2/2 instead just so it's more survivable and is harder to get out, but that's minor.

This is a quite nice black card. It balances out what you're bringing back due to the life loss, and can't do it endlessly since if your graveyard is empty you'll lose.

Feels a bit limited in what it can do, but still solid if you have Skeleton tribal going on. I would say that you should switch the effects though. White is all about self-sacrifice and making tiny creatures, while Black is about sacrificing others to boost the power of an individual.

Seems very strange, but I could see it being an interesting car in some formats. In most cases though it's going to be an arbitrarily large fatty.

You do realize that players can reveal any cards from their hand, at any time?

This card literally gives infinite 1/1s as long as you keep paying 2 mana.

Even if that (and the lord effect) was balanced, the "Fluke" is still redundant. When you draw any card, you may reveal any card.

Infinitely better, and an interesting design. The lord effect is a bit strong though imo.

how does this work if an opponent has telepathy on the field? can you only activate the ability once per turn?

This one's more a Design thing than a Development one here. The intention was to show off the Fluke concept on a card with an obvious follow-through. It'd be open for Development to tweak the numbers for the token creation payment and such.

1CC for a tribal lord with an upside is fairly common though, so I'm not sure where the concern is coming from there.

It'd trigger when your hand starts being revealed as Telepathy's effect first begins, I think.

>I'm not sure where the concern is coming from there.
Idk. Mostly because there are so many Soldiers, and because they're so easy to get. Just a gut reaction from me.

Note that you still "reveal" a card, or your hand, when a spell or ability instructs you to, even if you're playing with your hand revealed due to something like Telepathy. For reference, the ruling on Land Grant.

>You can pay the “reveal your hand” cost even if your hand is already revealed due to another effect.

So, you can still reveal the card when you draw it, even under a Telepathy effect.

I love it.

I have a pet peeve with enchantments that do not stack with themselves (becoming dead cards if you get more than one in a game); as a result I almost never run more than 1x of such enchantments. If this had an ETB trigger of something small, I'd like it even more. E.g. "When ~ ETB, put the top two cards of your library to your graveyard."

Posting my shitty cards

And these three

This is cute, but it's basically just "target spell can't be targeted by spells or abilities this turn". So it SHOULD just be that, imo.

These are pretty parasitic. A 2/2 for 2 is pretty weak these days, and even with the pair upside they're not great. That said, the blue one is unusual in that it's a drawbackless 2/2 for 1U, which is something blue doesn't have yet.

This design is dope as fuck. Seems a little weak, though, and would probably still be weak at [B]. Maybe tack on something like "At the beginning of your upkeep, put the top card of your library into your graveyard?"

These don't do much by themselves. I'm assuming they're part of a set with Soulbond or something similar?

Anyways, Knight tribal commander when?

I like this. Especially the creature type, though "Sponge Horror" might be more appropriate.

Totem armor is a cool effect, and this seems like a neat take on it. Also not too overpowered either, since a player can simply use removal on the creature with the mantle to get rid of it for everything else.

Having renown be shared seems quite interesting, although it being a variable value for that card might be a bit odd.

Pretty neat. The effect reminds me of Fleshmad Steed from Theros, although this has a stronger downside, but bigger overall stats. I think it works nicely.

Glad you liked the Sponge. I had planned on including a wide variety of creature types for the set, so I wanted to slip in some more off-the-wall ones. It being a Beast is mostly a factor of the set as a whole, to emphasize that a certain creature is much larger or stranger than typical of its kind. Horror might be more fitting in that instance though.

Keyword abilities like lifelink and menace aren't capitalized.

Picture unrelated.

>Keyword abilities like lifelink and menace aren't capitalized.

More specifically, subsequent keyword abilities after the first in a line aren't.

I stole one of your cards and made it look a little prettier.

I have a soft spot for cards that are intended to combo with each other, and these are a great pair. It would be neat if the apprentice had lifelink rather than menace, to complement the reanimation-induced lifeloss.

This is probably super broken in some degenerate deck. Cathartic Reunion makes it a 1 mana 4/4 flier, and Magus of the Bazaar lets you cast it for free. Unrestricted cost reduction is always strong - see Affinity (Frogmite et al.) I'd cost this at 4UU or 4BB, and make the reduction [2] less each time.

Faithless Looting breaks it in half.

Cool. I like the touch of the Temur symbol there. I'm also still really pleased with how it turned out.

Seems really strong. I initially read it as putting X +1/+1 counters on one other creature, which seemed less crazy. I feel like it would either need to be a temporary pump when it enters the battlefield for all creatures, or put that same number on a single other creature. Otherwise this feels like it's very easy to get out of hand. Granted, it is a mythic, but it still feels drastic.

I based it off Hollow One, but I see that adding flying makes it fall to the broken side of things.

Note that, unlike Hollow One, this one requires the player to discard a specific type of cards: creatures.

How's this? Making it a 3/3 means it dies to most removals.

Posting here after a very long time (and quit playing after Lorwyn), but been lurking since forever... I guess. Well, first card, I like the idea behind it but I think that the card is s Little too wordy; CnC welcome.

Thoughts on this guy as a custom general? Too powerful?

welcome to the thread glad to have a replacement for that whiny faggot that 'quit' last thread

Made a whole set of 151 original Pokémon like, 8 years ago. I'll post some now.

If you're posting a lot of cards, there's an image stitcher in the OP you should use.

holy shit thank you

I can make a rar of the ones I have (over 180 in the set, so far, no real rhyme or reason so far, though to color balance or rarity balance yet) if people care enough.

If this guy hits the chosen opponent, their life total becomes zero, then he dies, then they lose. His ability should just be "The chosen opponent's life total cannot (sic) go below 1"

That actually fits lore-wise, too. I like it.

The wording on this does seem like a bit much, especially since it explodes in such a dramatic way that will kill basically everything on the board as long as there are a couple tokens.

It's not a very green effect, and probably would fit better in Black.

Assuming this is for Commander, the last line seems pointless, since they return to the command zone anyway. I think you need to make the creature Sacrifice part of the cost rather than an effect as well. Other than that, the biggest thing would be the power being really high without much purpose, since it has deathtouch. You could cut it in half and it would still be fine.

Main thing that bugs me about these is that while Squirtle and Charmander only improve as they evolve and don't gain/lose anything, Bulbasaur is all over the place and has no progression.

Squirtle starts with a toughness booster, picks up hexproof and a power swap, and then gets a big power boost so the new downside of the -1/+1 doesn't affect it as much.

Charmander likewise has fire breathing, then picks up first strike, haste, and flying.

Bulbasaur starts with lifelink, and loses to Squirtle all the time. Ivysaur loses lifelink, and then gets a damage prevention ability. Venusaur loses that, gets trample, gets the ability to untap lands, and then gets a pretty neat solarbeam mechanic. Which for some reason also is useless against Blastoise.

Just strikes me as odd is all.

I felt like the Bulbasaur line had so many mechanics in the game as a grass type pokemon; Leech Seed, Stun Spore/Sleep Powder, Solar Beam, among many others, wherein the other two lines felt a little more organic and basic, so my ideas were all over the place with that.

You bring up a great point. Any advice on how I could progress that line so that it stacks up decently against the other two starter lines?

I agree the p/t is much higher than it needs to be. Not really for power level purposes since is commander after all, its just not necessary. Also the other suggestions, other than not needing the revival landfall. Thats perfectly functional and not redundant in commander, though its powerful on this. You will always want to landfall this over putting it in the command zone and thats fine.

The card is fine, but what exactly is its purpose? It feels like a strange combination of abilities. Landfall is fine, and the other ability is fine, but why together? It works but its not a very functional or interesting design imo. Theres no apparent synergy between those sbilitirs in those colors. Since its a custom commander, I figure you had to have had a goal in mind that im not seeing? I can see wanting the revival since you want to build around this guy, but supportig a spell centric grave value deck in ub isnt really that weird. Most of your cards are gonna be ones you play already. You probably dont need to build around this guy in other words. So him making himself easy to keep bringing back isnt necessary for a hypothetical deck I imagine to function.

>I think you need to make the creature Sacrifice part of the cost rather than an effect as well.
Yeah, bad phrasing on my part.

My idea with the landfall effect would be that you could allow it to go to the graveyard to avoid paying the commander tax.

I didn't have a particular strategy in mind. Was just interested in making a dracolich sort of card. So he comes back from the dead and can reuse instants and sorceries since he's a lich.

Well, ignoring the color pie somewhat, I would say that a tapdown effect when it attacks would be a better way to get across Sleep Powder and the like. Lifelink is good for absorb, but should really be on all 3, espeically since Venasaur already has an evergreen keyword, so it wouldn't take up any extra lines. From there, you could swap out his land untapping and ivysaur's damage blocking effect and give them both something to represent the spore style moves.

I also feel as though you could alter the p/t of them to better fit the type matchups, but that's trickier to do since they also have abilities to alter them.

To me bulbasaur embodied growth (its main attribute is a bulb that grows into a flower after all) which means a counter gaining ability. And then maye he could remove counters to do things for status, with venusaur also letting you remove counters and do that much damage to a creature which feels like deal damage equal to power which green has.

Didnt think it wad flavor bssed. Maybe have a phylactery like mechanic of some sort. Thats what I think of for liches. And then tie that into the revival somehow ditching landfall entirely to make the design a little more elegant and tie those aspects together.

I like both these ideas. I've left everything about both Ivysaur and Venusaur the same, but the card text reads as follows now:

Ivysaur:

Lifelink
Whenever you gain life, you may tap target creature. That creature doesn’t untap during its controller’s untap step.

Venusaur:

Trample, lifelink
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a Solar counter on Venusaur.
Whenever you gain life, put a Solar Counter on Venusaur.
Remove X Solar counters from Venusaur, then choose one: Venusaur deals X damage to target creature; or, you gain X life.

Think this works a little better? I think this way, Venusaur can gain counters a little faster, and choose how much of its solar power it wants to use, and regarding Ivysaur, it will let you tap down a creature by the end of combat, or allow you some cheeky clutch plays with instant lifegain spells in you need to attack unblocked.

I actually meant +1/+1 counters. What I kind of like is, bulbasaur gets a counter each end step and thats it besides the evolution (to keep it common), ivysaur can remove a counter to fog a creature (similar to the tap but more within green's pie) and keep the counter gaining, and venusaur could get 2 or 3 +1/+1 counters counters instead of just one and replace the fog with removing all counters to deal that much damage to a creature (killing it outright instead of fogging so theres some mechanical relation)

I'm not sure how I'd be able to word this, since after Bulbasaur evolves, it would lose all counters that were on it, and the newly evolved Ivysaur wouldn't be able to reap the benefits.

Dont see why it'd have to. Its an end step trigger so by the time ivysaur would be able to use it, itd already have one.

I'm genuinely shocked I can't seem ro find a card to base this wording off of. Anyone have any ideas?

Looking at making a custom commander, came up with this, what do you guys think?

Choose a player with the most, or tied for the most cards in hand. Each other player that has less cards in hand that that player, draws cards equal to the difference.

Sorry, should be: "less cards in hand than the chosen player."

It's a mishmash.
>1UB
>flying
>2/3
>[B/HB/H], Sacrifice a creature: Return Metharos from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Morbid — If a creature died this turn, you may cast an instant or sorcery card in your graveyard. If you cast a card this way, exile it.

You shouldn't be mitigating the lifeloss. Swing in a and win. T6 is plenty time :p

I like the phoenix. Scavenge, not so much. Don't really understand the idea behind it, aside from synergy.

Booooooooooop. More possssssssssssts.

Why are you using special snowflake frames?

>Scavenge, not so much. Don't really understand the idea behind it, aside from synergy.

I'm not sure I'm reading this right, but it sounds like you didn't realize Scavenge is a real keyword.

You're not. I think Scavenge is 'off' in the card.

Just gay things.

Seems fine, though there's nothing really Blue about it. Arguably not even that Green.

This feels a bit odd, as it would be relatively easy to cast this outside of the proper colors if there were any hybrid creatrures. Convoke also makes the effect really, really cheap. Plus, with the way most games work, it's also going to likely destroy your opponent's entire board when you counter a big spell and all of their smaller things from earlier turns are still around. A counterspell and a one-sided boardwipe feels like too much for a 6 cmc. Even if it's 4 color, it can also be reduced with creatures.

I think the color is off on your frame. It should indicate a multicolored artifact.

Also, this card is pretty crazy, since it's either an infect-fireball where you can simply spend 10 mana on it and have it deal X infected damage to a player, or you can just pay 0 and you get a 4/4 for 3 with Infect and Devour to pump it up to a huge size.

I get what you were going for with damaging itself to put -1/-1 counters on itself with infect, removing them by devouring more creatures, but there's a reason they don't usually mix the two types within single sets. More key is the fact that nobody will really use it that way, since it's better as either a cheap early drop or as a finisher.

Also, very weird that it can't fly.

That's a pretty neat idea. Honestly the only thing that irks me about it is that you're actively paying mana to put -1/-1 counters on your own creature. Granted, it's to prevent you from losing a bunch of life, but it just feels a bit off.

Interesting idea for an enchantment. Makes Blue removal far more reliable when you can easily predict what to counterspell.

Well, it also wasn't originally intended to be a giant intangible aurora.

Does this count? Or is there a separate thread for alterations?

Congratulations creatureless control, you know have a one mana kill spell with absolutely no drawback. This is one of those cards that seems fine but when taken in the context of the game would not work

>with absolutely no drawback

Deckbuilding constraints are kind of a drawback.

It is absolutely no drawback. Dega control with Gideon and land swings. Can't cast during your turn because of sorceries. Or Grixis control, or whatever. One mana removal should come at an exceedingly high cost.

I'm agreeing with here. Even outside of creatureless control, it's still incredibly easy to build around. Say you run BR aggro instead. The game is basically over by the time your opponent will have the mana to cast the spell from their graveyard, and they'll have to spend all their mana for a turn getting rid of one of your creatures.

It's far to easy for one player to cast compared to the other for it to be even.

Not to mention that it's easy for black to find effects that exile cards from their graveyard.

I'd offer constructive criticism but I can't really find a way to make it interesting while keep the original idea. Maybe instead of being B and 3, make it 1B and 1.

1B and 1 might work better. More so if it's also instant speed, since that would give the opponent more chances to make sure they would be able to use it. It would be more universal compared to Doomblade, but still have some ups and downs.

Would still be strictly better than Doomblade (and other 1B removals) in creatureless decks. It should probably

>1B Sorcery; opponent can cast it as instant for 1

or

>BB Instant; opponent can cast for 1

I just can't bring myself to make a good planeswalker
I wanna make a custom EDH cube and I am starting with potential commanders
>inb4 rick and morty
What kind of gimmicks would you expect Rick to have?