/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

Filter Tripfags and do a group build edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Other urls found in this thread:

reapermini.com/Miniatures/Savage Worlds/latest/91007
blog.untilsomebodylosesaneye.net/2017/03/ask-and-you-shall-receive.html?m=1
spartangames.co.uk/spartan-games
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Since people were interested in a group build last thread I'd like to propose the theme "Monster". It's flexible enough that you can do almost anything and make it monsterous, but it's also a good theme to pick up a really cool model or something a bit more challenging than usual.

I would look at starting in 1-2 weeks and have it run for a month. Too many group builds end up messing around forever and people lose interest. Better to strike while the irons hot and get it moving

I'm up for that.

I think I might have a go at building some sort of shambling undead abomination made from a bunch of skeleton bits and whatever else I can find laying about.

Now I just gotta figure out where I can get some reasonably cheap plastic skellies to dismember and experiment on. Currently I'm thinking either some Mantic skeletons or the Frostgrave undead encounters skellies.

Mantic are 2 part models.

Wargames factory (i.e. warlord) are the go to cheap skeletons. They're pretty solid and cheap as hell.

The monster from Zygote is my inspiration by the way, except far more decayed and likely nowhere near as cool.

Sounds fun

I actually checked hoping to find them already since they were my first choice, but either I made some rookie error when searching the Warlord site or Warlord doesn't actually sell the WGF skellies at the moment.

I remember seeing pictures of a guy who made a sort of sculpture of a giant golem thing out of mantic zombies. For the life of me I can't find it on the internet now.

Warlord aren't selling them at the moment, you might be able to get some on ebay though.

This sounds like we're all thinking of some 1980's movie abominations.

I've scoured pretty thoroughly and they're sold out on every website I've looked at, and the only option on ebay is some guy selling their legs. I might send an email to Warlord on the faint chance that they still have some they're willing to sell me.

Otherwise I've got the Frostgrave undead as a backup option, and that at least has the benefit of including zombies so that I can add rotting limbs to the abomination. I've written off the Mantic ones after looking at the sprue.

Ibwas unaware that the newer Brood models were resin. I know a decent chunk of the Dragyri range are, but only because they're generally pretty big.

Monster is fine. Make it run from the 1st of September to the 30th.

This contest is the perfect excuse to buy some bits for my Full Thrust STMC fleet.

Which is more "monster" though, buy the giant unfieldable 440 Mass black hole spitting boss ship or paint a small flotilla of gribblies I could use in a game?

Also, I'm guessing timestamped picture with it unassembled/unpainted (or primed at most) to enter

Sounds good. Maybe say it can't be more than half built. That way people can dig their stuff out of their to do pile and get working on it if they can't afford a new kit.

Forces of the abyss, need some criticism as to how to start.

Fleshlings (20
Kevinar's Flying Hammer

Lower Abyssals (40)
Healing Brew

Gargoyles* (10)

Gargoyles* (10)
Quicksilver Rapier

Gargoyles
War-bow of Kaba

Succubi (10)
Blade of Slashing

Succubi (10)
Mace of Crushing

Abyssal Temptress
Bane Chant
Blood Boil
Ensorcelled Armour

++ Total: [1000pts] ++
I could always just play ogres though, they seem fun.

From your description I'd assumed you were thinking of the skelemalgamation from bloodborne, which is aesthetically similar.

Goddamn that thing gave me the heeby jeebies.

Warlord are doing a sale on some items while stock last, one of which is the Boromite Broodmother at £45 down from £75. It's the model that got me into Gates of Antares with the preview but by the time it came out there was so little interest left in the game I couldn't justify buying it. At the sale price though I've pick it up + a cheap blister for free shipping.

Ordered the Cyber dragon from ral Partha for the group build.

No idea if I'll make it a full diorama or not. I still need to find a suitable kid miniature that isn't hideous.

Seems that I'm on a roll, so have a Judge Hershey - not half as cute as in the comics, but nonetheless a fun figure to paint.

I assume they are trying to move as much as they can to resin with the resculpts, so that they can get sharp details on everything, and to keep weight low (especially on the bigger things, as you mentioned. The resin body for the CORE Thumper really helps take strain off of its spindly legs).

>not half as cute as in the comics
's okay for a 28mm miniature if you ask me

Square grid based miniature wargames. I only know of endless tactics, kromaster arena and basically all the games with a 'dungeon' (like space hulk, the star wars one from ffg). Are there any more basic ones I missed? Do you like/play them? I'm brewing on a tabletop version of Dofus, because that is what I wanted to do for years. I'm thinking about 1v1-4v4 pvp, on a 32x32 grid and a lot of crunch. Characters will have 15-20 abilities and tons of equipment to tinker with. Do you know of any non rpgs that resemble something like that? Or rpgs other than dnd 4th? Or board games orher than generic dungeon crawlers? Making it not grid based is also an option, because it would be more accessible and the only advantage is more important positioning, which could be achieved by adding facing directions of the minis.
Really any input would be appreciated, even if you say why you woldn't play it because of inherent flaws of such a system. The main flaw I see is the availability of 32x32 grids. I found one of many gaming mat companies that sells a 32x32 rpg mat with a gras pattern, which seems good enough.

Oh hey, Reaper does a mini of that in Bones for the Deadlands line.
reapermini.com/Miniatures/Savage Worlds/latest/91007

>Monster challenge
Well shit, I'm just about finished with my Rat Ogre. Now I guess I need another. Thinking of taking a Reaper Owlbear, giving it a spare Rat Ogre head, and replacing the talons with more of the Ogre weapons I saved from that last bits trade (swapped a Hawk Lord 40k casualty marker for a handfulla Ogre weapons and gut-plates). Maybe some kind of Warpstone hammer? Or I could go for stone fists, Skyre goes for some crazy-ass shit.

>. I'm thinking about 1v1-4v4 pvp, on a 32x32 grid and a lot of crunch. Characters will have 15-20 abilities and tons of equipment to tinker with. Do you know of any non rpgs that resemble something like that? Or rpgs other than dnd 4th? Or board games orher than generic dungeon crawlers?
Uh, SD Gundam Generation and the 1/400 Gundam Collection wargame use a grid-based combat system. They're IGYG and hilariously imbalanced but the basics are kind of cool. Also the Mobile Suit/Emblem/Pilot combinations in the vidyas get pretty clost to that level of customization.

>Availability
My LGS has a literal 50-gallon trash can full of 25 and 30-mm gridded playmats. Some go up to 64x64. So worst-case you just trim the borders off a 36x36, or mark off the sides and use them as storage/deployment areas.

>Square grid based miniature wargames. I only know of endless tactics, kromaster arena and basically all the games with a 'dungeon' (like space hulk, the star wars one from ffg). Are there any more basic ones I missed? Do you like/play them?
I quite like Endless Fantasy Tactics. I played Descent and it was fun with the right people, although I didn't like how wnd edition tried to force archtypes onto the characters right from the start.

I want to get a shit ton of Imperial Assault stuff and run a huge campaign, but alas 'tis but a pipe dream right now.

Should I get into Halo: Ground Command anons? I'm looking for a 15mm sci fi wargame and it seems to fit the bill

>Flehslings (Regiment) with Kevinars
Pick them as troops or hordes. Their low Melee and Attack makes them terrible anvils, but good screeners as troops or cheap hordes (150pts!!!)

>Lower Abyssals (40) with Healing Brew
Honestly, these are the best anvils on the game. If you want them to still make a punch in battle you could give them the Ram item that give them TC 1 or to make them more durable, Brew of Courage (supported with a unit with Rally! and they are never going away).

>Gargoyles
Great screeners and harrassers, don't give them items because they are going to leave at the first turn if the opponent has any shooting. They are meant to provoke charges or getting flankes if the opponent don't take them seriously.

>Succubis
Shit, this is hard, I would only use them as a troop. The problem is that they have high attack value (20 as troop and only +5 in regiment), and great attack value while having terrible defense: this mean at the first counter charge of another elite unit they are going to leave. They are good units but their Ensnare makes them only good against bad units, meanwhile the lack of CS, will make them shit against another elite units. My recommendation is to take them as troop, and only as regiments if you have points to spare.

>Abyssal Temptress
This is a great unit, the only problem is that only inspire Succubis but your anvil is your Lower Abyssals.

In itself is not a bad a list, it just unprapred to what you may face. And example is if your opponent bring a Great Earth Elemental, you have no answer.

If you like Halo, buy into it, so that when Spartan inevitably leaves it to rot, you can find some other 15mm wargame to use the figures with.

i never actually looked at gates of antares prices, why the fuck is a single Ghar goblin 3,50 pounds?(yes there is the team "deal",but even that costs a lot and that doesn't excuse the prce)

You're meant to buy them in a squad unless you have some specific purpose for an individual (most probably don't), which means the price with no sale is more like £2.50 each. It's far from bad for pewter minis, but I see your objection.

The inflated price is because they try to keep the rough equivalents across ranges at the same price, so a squad of Concord infantry is also £20, except that comes with 10 troopers and 6 drones. They should really consider dropping the price to £15 to be more in line with their other pewter squads.

So some flame splitters, drop the magic items save the ram on the lesser abyssals, and might as well drop the fleshlings for another troop of something.
A herald would be nice I suppose.

Single models are for converting.
That aside the main part of any Ghar army are the battlesuits, which are plastic. Ghar on foot are only a choice for Ghar rebel armies.

And as the other user mentioned, for a metal model it's still a fairly decent price. The squads are cheaper still.

There are two armies in the game atm that are completely metal and resin, but by now all the other factions have plastic models at least for their main troop choices.
It's still a fairly new game.

The Outcasts are used for both Rebels and Empire, they're a great way for Empire to get bonus cheap order dice and objective holders.

Would a Covenant ORS count? It looks like a catfish and is the size of Rhode Island. That's pretty monstery.

This. There are plenty of 15mm SciFi games out there and the models are great. Just don't expect long-term support.

That sounds fun, I got a few warzone pieces I could finish for this, either my Praetorian Behemoth or the Black Widow.

>tfw Bank Holiday weekend in Blighty
>was going to order a few sprues of Frostgrave Barbarians and Anglo-Saxons to bash together but probably won't get posted in time

If you think it would then it does, go for it

I love this game. plays quick but still enough depth. I've nearly finished painting my Perrys' Samurai stuff for 4 buntai (Bushi, Ikko Ikki, Koryu and Bandits)
Still need some guys with Teppos and I'll buy the Sohei Buntai from northstar.

I recommend to try to add something with Crushing Strength, like Molochs or Tortured Souls, you need a way to deal with heavy Def enemies.

Also, if you add a Hero with inspiring, you could also give it the Banner of the Griffin, so it also have Rally! 1, by doing this you raise everyone at 6' Nerve +1.

Basically Abyssals can by anything, heavy schaff, heavy shooting or heavy elite, but by going too strong into one direction makes you worst to deal with certain enemy types.

>Square grid based miniature wargames
Mantic made a game called Deadzone a couple years ago that was a spinoff of their warpath minis. 3" square grid for everything. I only played it a handful of times, but it seemed pretty well designed.

Their are also a bunch of minis / boardgame hybrids that steal a lot of ideas from both camps, and are usually on some kind of grid map. Examples would be like MERCS Recon, the various Zombicides, Level 7, Undercity, or Myth.

Yep. Or just keep playing Halo and houserule new stuff as needed. We still play Uncharted Seas occasionally and spartan jettisoned that years ago.

If you can explain why it fit the monster theme it counts.

For the KoW anons, some tournament lists.

blog.untilsomebodylosesaneye.net/2017/03/ask-and-you-shall-receive.html?m=1

Nice, I like to see that Goblins are doing well. I need to try that Dwarf list myself. Speaking of which, what models is the guy using for the Brock Riders on the right?

If you mean those red armoured knights, they're from The Assault Group.

Thanks user.

Soo far every tournament list I have seen gobos do well. What is amasing is that an orc player won, when te faction is considere low tier.

>That shield formation
Hilarious. KoW really is every modeler's wet dream.

>war trombones
Triggered.

The river of jizz is slightly offputting.

Those things are pretty scary. I suppose that is why goblins are so FUN to play though. Measuring threat ranges and ducking out before things get bad is always satisfying.

A different water effect and/or painting underneath it should have been done. The water on the arachnarok's base for instances looks fine.

Is Wrath of Kings dead? I haven't really heard anything big from them in a while now, and I know of no one that plays it.

They still have regular releases for the game, so support is still there. If you mean playerbase, then as with most games discussed here it is pretty dead. CMON hasn't done a good job pushing it to retailers at all.

Continuing my misadventures in the world of 2000AD...Judge Dredd himself.

You need to save some cash in some parts.

It might just be the photos, but I guess my only issue is that the blues and greens are so dark compared to the bright yellow that they don't really stand out, and kind of blend into a dark mass. The comics tend to have the body suit quite dark, but the gloves, boots and pads tend to have a little more brightness to them. Did you already try a brighter green for the gloves and boots in the past, and just prefered the darker green, or are you aiming to capture a certain iteration of the uniform?

I was thinking of some allied orc greataxs.

Warlord got back to me about the Wargames Factory skeletons, apparently the kit is being retooled and repackaged and will hopefully be among the next big batch of releases, but no guarantees and no dates at the moment.

Anyone played Bushido? Is it a good game? I loved the minis.

Is DW alternative, or is Spartan too big now? I spent all of my hobby time last week flat-sanding, magnetizing, and assembling these fuckers. I hope to have them painted and ready for PAX Unplugged.

>is Spartan too big now?
nobody i know in my area plays it
i use my brit stuff as epic 40k stuff

what did they do to Hershey?
and joe for that reason

I say a thread about a ASOIAF miniature game, if I recall correctly it is still on green light.

any news on that game?

I just wanna see the Ashmen Firehawks.

Also CMON has zero concept of distribution.

I like it. Combat can be a little heavy on the table checking, but other than that I think it's a pretty solid little game. I love a lot of the models, and the way characters generate Ki to do special shit and boost attacks is neat.

>Also CMON has zero concept of distribution.
Aside from shipping their Kickstarters and their own online store there are not even a lot of stores that carry their products.
A big one I know of recently gave up on CMON products, cause apparently CMON doesn't even bother to supply stock to stockists reliably.

Good unit and can openers. They may do well against some high Def units, but be careful, if you bring them as hordes you are going to lose lot of possible flankings or worst get suck between terrain; and as regiment they are going to need some support of inspiring or war dumb.

Honestly you can do with almost any list or units, what is important is what their rol is gonna be, their weaknesses and how you support them. If done correctly you can make a troop of pole arm block (70 points) take out a unit of 200 points.

It's mostly the case of "it turned out like this". Originally I wanted it to be a bit brighter, but did not have a suitable green (and I've spent enough money on Dredd stuff that I can't really order paints at the moment), but Overall I like how these turned out. And as you've mentioned, the comics had as many different uniforms basically as the number of artist that worked on them. I'll try to make some pics with less lighting, taking pictures is still not what I'm best at.

Hi /awg/
I need suggestions on a brand/online store.
I'm running a Degenesis game and are looking to get a female Spitalian styled mini (pic related on left and middle.).
Shaved head, rubber bodysuit, long spear. May or may not be wearing a gasmask. I've seen a female Commissar looking mini on Raging Heroes but the outfit doesn't look quite right. Does anyone have any suggestions on retailers that might fit the bill?
If they sell a male mini like the guy on the right then that's perfect because I need one of them too.
Cheers

They might be hard to get a hold of individually now, due to repacks, but Dark Age's Forsaken have a Medic and Shepard might be worth a look.

I've actually placed an order for those exact models half an hour ago but forgot to report back. Much appreciated all the same user.

Good to hear that you managed to find them. Between CMoN's stocking woes, and both minis getting repacked into different box sets with other models I was worried that they would be really hard to find individually.

Also, were you at all influenced by the recent Degenesis thread?

Cmon really are garbage aren't they?
I ended up getting a couple of the packs which is less than ideal but I'm a really shitty painter so I can use the extras for practice.

I was actually posting pretty regularly in that. It's nice to see a Degenesis thread actually hit autosage for once. I just started running a game yesterday and one of my players is playing a female Spitalian. I've got nothing to use for her other than tokens so figured you guys would know what's good.

Are these 32mm? They sure look like it.

30mm

Close enough for my purpose.

I'm a fan. I enjoy the combat mechanics where you secretly allocate dice between attack and defence. Model are nice although some are fiddly to assemble.

Only problem is getting people to play it. I have 3 starter sized warbands painted up, correct sized mats and terrain but have trouble getting others to play it over their usual games.

Bushido:
I want to start playing it, but cannot decide on a faction.
Can someone give mit a quick overview/description on the different playstyles, pls?

spartangames.co.uk/spartan-games

So Spartan's shut down. I know their ADHD was nonsense, but I always loved their models and games. Dystopian Wars was what really brought me back into wargaming, and my first non-GW game.
Hopefully at least some of their lines get picked up.

looks like it is now or never, user.

Damn.
Looks like they canceled that Firestorm Galaxy expansion kickstarter, too.

>£49,487 pledged of £50,000 goal
I dunno when it was due to end, but it started the 11th. KSs are a month or so, aren't they?

Well shit. I had fond memories of them, but they did bring it on themselves. Reckon there'll be good stock clearance prices?

Feel bad for people that enjoyed their games, but overall: good. Tired of their fuckwittery.

Much prefer comfy miniature producers with shitty websites. Or if it has to be "modern", Dropzone Commander seems like the benchmark in how to set up as a small company.

I knew that they were sucking, but I didn't know that they would just shut down. So much for continued Halo support. At least Hawk Wargames is still kicking.

I was never fond of their questionable business strategies, but their games were always neat. With luck their IPs will all go to places where they can receive some proper love and care, and flourish.

Oh shit, I was about to get some Terran and Dindrezi.

I'll give it a go but as the only person locally who collects the game I could be wrong on the factions I don't own. They've also added models expanding on the range of playstyles each faction has.

Ryu - All rounders that have good combat skills and armour that let them win purely on base stats but usually don't have access to as specialised or good at ki models as other factions. They can be build around buffing ashigaru or having a bunch of good models.

Temple - They usually function around squishy monks with good melee combat potential and get support from support monks, kami and peasants to make them deadly.

Savage Wave - They have very strong Oni who while powerful are not that good actually winning fights on their own and weak Bakemono who provide support or just tire the enemy out with their lives so the Oni can come out on top.

Ito - Initially similar to Ryu they tend to have less armour and more speed. Many of the models have a trait Blood of Orochi which grants tokens you use to add poison to models attacks. They also have a bunch of priestesses that work with the poison theme.

Cult of Yurei - Horror themed faction with lots of debuff/control ki abilities. Plenty of their models also cause fear.

Not really sure about the rest.

Goddamnit, I actually liked the Halo stuff.

I'm torn on this. I've waited on getting myself some 15mm Spartans so far, but now I'm questioning my futher course. Either I pull the trigger now , or I wait for a possible clearance sale to pick them up even cheaper...

>and although efforts have been made to fulfil customer orders, it is hoped that anyone who does not receive their goods will be able to redeem their payments through their credit card or PayPal
Hope your using a middle man for your orders.

wait were spartan actually an activity made for profit? I always thought they were like a group of friends with how they behaved.

I fucking knew I should have got some Orions last paycheck. iMad

>Hope you're using a middleman for your orders.
I'm floored that I missed my typo.

I don't know about you, but I'm biting the bullet, just ordered an Orion, Valiant, and Halberd box from ebay. So much for getting my muffler fixed.

Unfortunately it started as Neil having cool looking toys getting made, people going "Hey those are cool, we want some." And it never really changed from being a "Make Neil Fawcett cool shinies" enterprise at its core, Neil having made a bunch of cash through publishing (I think) earlier on.

>small company keeps having to produce new molds for all the games their ADHD-addled boss comes up with every few months
>doesn't provide adequate support to each project long term to keep people interested beyond the initial launch
>wonders why it can't make enough to stay afloat
Wow what a shock.

Shit. I knew they had problems, but I figured they were at least stable.

Hopefully the lines go to good homes.

Perhaps Hawk games could get Firestorm and Planetfall? They are a good company, and would be a big fuck you to Spartan.
But for the other part, I dunno if competing games in the same house would be smart...