Tfw he only wanted to tell her "good bye"

>tfw he only wanted to tell her "good bye"...

Saddest flavor text/piece of lore in MTG?

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/lorans-smile-2014-10-27
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/commander-2017-edition-design-handoff-2017-08-23
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/betrayal-2014-05-14
youtu.be/0VK9D1ti-Yg
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/lost-confession-2013-09-11
twitter.com/AnonBabble

might help if ya posted it lol

>Titan
>Not 6/6 for 6CMC

Urza and Mishra used to be inseparable brothers and best friends, until they stumbled across Koilos and accidentally became the inheritors to a Thran grudge match that drove them apart, through a series of events they largely had no control over thanks to the influence of the stones.

One of the last things Urza said to Mishra was "I just wanted to learn. I just wanted to build my devices". Only by that point, it wasn't even Mishra anymore.

>Gorilla
>IT HAS A TAIL

RRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/lorans-smile-2014-10-27

It also explains how summoning is in MTG

>Deep in Yawgmoth's realm, Urza stopped dead in his tracks and rubbed his soot-filled eyes. "Mishra?"

Gotta love the Brother's War storyline

>It also explains how summoning is in MTG

it does? i dont remember that

tl;dr me

Squandered Resources

"He traded sand for skins, skins for gold, gold for life. In the end, he traded life for sand."
—Afari, Tales

tl;dr

Summoning a creature in MTG isn't actually calling that creature from another dimention, but it is the art of mana-sculping a, somewhat lacking in conscience, entity which impersonates the idea you have about the creature you want to summon. In the story, Feldon manages to "summon" his scholar mentor just to realize he just created a clone who looked, acted and performed just as he thought his mentor looked, acted and performed. With the logical subtle differences between them because of the consequences of our subjetive ways to see the world.

A MTG player would be a planeswalker impregnated with the mana of different planes, evoking the ideals and knowledge he managed to gather among the planes he visited. Red mana from a plane would feel different than the red mana from other planes and legendary creatures summoned by two different planeswalkers would still have differences because of how those planeswalkers see such legendary creature.

In the story, Feldon is an artifice who learns about the different mana colours and how to summon creatures, looking for a way to bring back her wife. In the end, after accepting the fact he couldn't bring her back neither with magic or science, he mana-sculpts the idealized despiction of her beloved wife, when she was happy before all the grief Uza and Mishra brought to a now gray world. Summoning her so he could give her a final good bye and thank her for a fullfilling life, since his heart couldn't cope with the fact that she died in her sleep, before he could tell her he loved her.

After that, he returns to his workshop, happy to think her beloved wife still lives somewhat in his heart and memories. Living peacefully teaching young pilgrims about of what he discovered about magic in his journeys.

>his
>her

Which one is it?

"his beloved wife*"

"His/her" works different in my mother language and I tend to put them incorrectly in English.

Don't need a faggot looking for a fight or a grammar nail.
Feldons a dood, but user can make mistakes in his long ass spoonfeeding of your underage ass.
Tl;Dr lurk moar and don't be a faggot.

Not him, but why is that story the definitive "canon" and not other stories like Foulmere, Dual Loyalties, Distant Armies, and Better Mousetrap, (all in the Distant Planes anthology) where summoning works by yes you are in fact pulling the whatever it is to you and usually controlling it in some fashion?

Because while they may or may not have once been a way to do so, it's a moot point due to the Mending reinforcing the barriers between planes specifically to making interplanar summoning/gates/etc exceedingly difficult to do.
And Wizards' creative team has specifically stated that the way it's described in Feldon's story is how it works.

I never read the relevant novels, but I was always under the impression urza and Mishra had always been at odds

They argued, like brothers are wont to do, but they never hated each other, and always supported one another and were willing to admit when they were wrong. A great example is Koilos (an abandoned Thran city) itself. In the desert were giant petroglyphs (think like the Nazca lines) that Mishra and Urza disagreed on the nature of. Mishra thought that they were just art or appeals to the gods or something (reflecting his more people-person nature). Urza, however, believed that they were basically airstrips - the two of them had recently re-built a Thran ornithopter together and Urza was extrapolating from its existence that the Thran would have needed things like airstrips - and that you could follow the petroglyphs to a central location, a Thran city (reflecting Urza's more introverted, logical nature).

So they (and their teacher, Tocasia) got into the re-built ornithopter and set out to test Urza's idea. And lo and behold, they found Koilos. Mishra's reaction to being wrong, though, was to be just as giddy as Urza at finding a Thran city and congratulating Urza - "Only a fool doubts his own eyes. Well done, brother."

>We could've gotten another Jedit, Runo Stromkirk, and 'Van Sengirsing, Bounty Hunter'
>O-Kogachi was added in design

It is a Gorilla titan

Err, O-Kogachi was added in Development, not in Design.
Thus explaining why he SUCKS BALLS, because Development is chickenshits.

Surprised nobody posted this yet

Do you have a source on that? I remember them saying in the dragon story podcast one reason they did 5 color was so they could do o-kagachi. Could have been speculation i guess.

Hands down the best Magic story, managing to fit in the "mechanics" of the world without breaking suspension of disbelief.

Also one of my favorite Commanders. If only there was a Loran card to go with it.

It really amazes me how simple trading card text can really pluck the heart strings.

The design handoff article today.
O-Kogachi isn't on there. There's a few cards that COULD have turned into him - Wasitora's Warder is possible, Retribution Regent if the former became Scalelord Reckoner. Vindictive Dracomancer was a Dragon and Wizard deck card so it's out.
Haze almost certainly became Ramos
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/commander-2017-edition-design-handoff-2017-08-23

Feldon and are always good, but nothing quite gets me like this guy.

>"‘Davvol, blast those elves.' ‘Davvol, transport those troops.' No one cares that today is my birthday."

Not even kidding, this makes me sad every time.

This is suppose to be a card game dammit.

Lore thread?

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/betrayal-2014-05-14

That's excellent.

gonna shill for a second because it's relevant to the thread and I enjoy his content

youtu.be/0VK9D1ti-Yg

Brother's War was a great read.

>that rivalry between the brothers
>Urza's plot to get into the royal family
>Mishra's enslavement
>great side characters like Ashnod and Tawnos
>descriptions of escalating war and fewer resources
>the toll of the war on personal lives
>the final showdown on that island with elves

i want to read it again, anyone got a pdf?

But there can't be a Loran card - he never managed to bring her back

Never read it but is it told through the perspective of Urza, Mishra, or both brothers?

>Home is run no more.

>Home is run no more.
>Pic related?

third person, both sides, but mostly urza since he's the good guy.

i liked the book so much as a kid i read it until it fell apart.

too bad mtg isnt as exciting as the novel.

>Urza
>Good Guy
But yeah, gotta agree that Brother's War was a great read. The entire series was hit and miss with Planeswalker being the weakest in my opinion, but I've still got a soft spot for it. They're the only MtG books I actually physically own.

No one took note.

I thought this was going to terrible but it actually turned out to be a good story.

I'm pretty sure he's dead himself, as is Urza, but both have cards. Long-dead characters can and do get cards.

I can't believe I posted that. Wew.

I can't believe I went to correct my post and forgot the right image.

user, go to sleep. It's okay.

It's 5 PM I can't be doing this.

His story is irony incarnate.

I've always loved that flavour text.

The Rusalkas do have a rather dramatic flavour text but this is the best of them

>His story is irony incarnate.
Tell us.

fucking kek

Basically he was told he would submit to Baron Sengir by a soothsayer, despite that he became a paladin of Serra and helped people.
Eventually he went to Baron Sengir and offered himself up, planning on using the power that would come from becoming a vampire to kill Baron Sengir. The Baron guessed his plan and instead turned him into a shade magically compelled to be loyal to Baron Sengir.
TL;DR He tried to martyr himself in order to be the savior of his people but now everyone hates him and thinks he was just a punk ass bitch.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/lost-confession-2013-09-11

This story tugs at me in a lot of ways. The hero writing a letter to someone who she knows will never receive it, forced to face her troubles head on. The hero comparing herself to someone who was always prepared to fight and could always make the tough decision, and feeling shame and small in stature in contrast. The hero actually being scared of something, the way Elspeth describes being trapped in a room with the Obliterator unable to move is a type of emotion that the newer stories lack.

The hero just being tired of constantly fighting against evil is probably the biggest one for me, and the ironic tragedy of her theoretical request of Heliod is icing on top of the cake of sadness.

>When you look at me, you see all that I could be. When I look at myself, I see only what I should have been.
Like damn WotC why couldn't she just be happy once? ;_;

Loran's Smile 3R
Enchantment
1R: Untap target Red Artificer Creature you control. Only play this ability once a turn.
"It was the most that he could do."

And have the art be Loran's know smile made of flame.