media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:

What are your quality of life house rules?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xjURzgkCuAE)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I know this isn't the right edition but I've gotta learn 3.5 ed in a few days time. Anyone got good resources for it?

All I've ever done before outside of wargaming is a few oneshots of 5th ed so I'm pretty much going from scratch here. Thanks for any help.

Dumb idea. Drawing a weapon used in an attack is a given. If someone can throw three axes or shoot three arrows, there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to throw three javelins.

Given that greatswords in real life don't HAVE sheathes, and they were typically put on CARTS when not used, seems reasonable

Personally I'm debating:

>Every race can select one feat at start. This cannot be Great Weapon Master/Polearm Master/Sharpshooter/Crossbow Expert.
Encouraging people to take race feats, or flavor feats failing that.

I kind of like the 'if a weapon is light, it can be drawn without spending your object interaction' from last thread.

I do agree, but I also view it as a reason to encourage people to use something other than javelins. It makes hand axes and daggers viable, while javelins because a long range 'fuck you up' weapon - especially because of things like Javelin of Lightning.

Homebrew rule:
Assassinations and surprise; assassin sneaks up on bloke undetected and stabs him. While everyone else then rolls initiative, assassin doesn't, and is automatically put first.

After all initiative is for determining who goes / reacts first, and we already know he goes first because his stab is what triggers everyone to combat.

This removes the issue for assassin rogues of getting surprise on a target, but not getting their auto-crits because the target manages to beat them in initiative (going first and therefore having the surprised condition removed at the end of this turn, before the assassin even attacks).

Makes assassins less crappy and stops the alert feat from being essential for them.

Besides, how does it make sense for the target to go before the assassin; by virtue of passing stealth checks vs perception to sneak up on him, we already know that he doesn't know the assassin is there, so what is triggering him to initiative before he feels the stab?

Just buff hand axes and daggers instead of nerfing the only decent ranged strength option.

Sorcerers use spell points, which are also combined with sorcery points and can be used as either.

But that DOES buff daggers and hand axes without buffing javelins.

Hand Axes and Daggers can be freely drawn as they're light

Javelins require your object interaction to draw as they don't have light, but they don't have heavy either.

So javelins are literally unchanged by RAW.

Rules I like:

Potions are Bonus action

You can play a class without it's flavor: with the flavor of a different class, or with the flavor of a different class.

Gishing limits are removed because gishing is already fucking weak.

Nature is a Wis skill, because rangers and druids (and nature clerics) should be good at it pretty much automatically, with choosing it as a proficiency bumping them up to expert levels.

"Gishing limits"?

Explain, please.

I don't think it nerfs it when there's absolutely no change to javelins. All it does is encourage hand axes and daggers to be used, as they can be drawn freely - so if you have four attacks, you can throw four daggers or handaxes. These are smaller dice short ranged weapons, versus javelin being higher dice longer ranged weapons.

In all honesty, I would be quite open to giving javelins a boost to damage as a compensation - it becomes more of a bulky 'you just speared the FUCK out of this dude' thing. There's part of me that wants to rule "you can toss as many javelins as your attack/2, rounded up", so if you get three or four attacks you can toss two javelins ... But that only affects fighters then, and seems like extra work.

I mean you could make a 'Throwing' weapon feat or fighting style where you can then treat all throwing weapons like they are light (and possibly some ancillary benefits), but that just becomes more book keeping versus "hey now you can throw as many daggers and hand axes as you have attacks".

Until you want to throw more than two javelins a turn.

What class is this?

An attack against a stunned creature is automatically a crit. This may or may not be everyone forgetting the difference between being stunned and paralyzed. I'm the monk so I'm not gonna bring it up.

Which, by RAW, isn't possible and would require another houserule.

Anyone here ever multiclass tempest cleric/storm sorcerer? How did it work out?

>What are your quality of life house rules?
No niggers
No faggots
No Jews
Either as PCs
Or players themselves

>hahaha I said the word nigger, fag, and jew!!! ecks dee!!!
if you're not being ironic then >>/pol/

Say you have an arcane focus in one hand and a sword in the other.

If a spell requires material components, you can also perform the somatic components with the same hand your focus is in.

if the spell has somatic components but doesn't have material components, for some reason you CANNOT use the same hand your focus is in.

I find that completely fucking stupid and houserule it out.

Mostly by accident that decided was harmless enough, our gnome uses a longbow, so I guess by implication we have a house rule that small races can use heavy weapons.

Which is a current restriction. I am not sure if giving you incentive to use something other than, as you said, the ONLY decent ranged strength option, is therefore nerfing that option. It just gives you incentive to use any of the other options, because javelins currently are far superior as they have a better damage dice and better range.

It's why I would also be open to buffing javelin damage as a result. I would be okay with them being 1d8 to put them on par with longbow, or even 1d10. It encourages them to be more 'artillery' style weapons ... But as said, it becomes more book keeping when you're modifying individual weapons, while saying 'light weapons can be drawn without an object interaction' has more versatility, since it allows you to do things like dual wield at level 1 without being a variant human.

Yes it is. Drawing weapons apart of your attack doesn't cost anything.

Got a question. I play a rogue in a game and the DM and I had a disagreement about how uncanny Dodge and Evasion work.

My rogue was hit with a fireball spell from the BBEG. I felt like I could use the Evasion feature on the Dex save to halve the damage and then use the uncanny Dodge reaction to halve the already half damage.

DM said said I couldn't because the BBEG didn't make an attack roll so it wouldn't trigger the reaction.

I wanted to call bullshit but I didn't want to have an argument during the game.

Thoughts?

You can kind of, in a very specific circumstance - basically as long as you start the round with a javelin in hand already. Theoretically, if you start the round with a javelin *in each hand* you can throw up to three, since its
>Throw first
>Throw second
>Object interaction to draw a third javelin, throw it
Which is why I'm okay with buffing damage dice to them, because they kind of become an 'artillery' option, where if you're setup you can take advantage of a nice burst of damage, but once you get into more close quarters you're not going to be drawing a whole bunch of javelins rapidly.

Wording
>Starting at 5th level, when an attacker that you can see hits you with an attack
>attack
This generally implies that there has to be an attack roll. Fireball doesn't require an attack roll on the part of the caster.

That's only for Ammunition I'm afraid, by RAW you cannot draw weapons as part of an attack.

You can houserule that Javelins have the Ammunition property, but that would be a houserule.

What are some fun low level wild shapes? I am going to be playing a druid, and I don't want to be a bear or dire wolf all the time.

Wrong.

Read the book nigga

My DM is taking a break for a while and wants me to DM a oneshot for the group in the meantime. What's a good, 6-10 hour adventure that's new DM friendly?

Yep, see - that only applies for ammunition. Javelins as they stand require the same object interaction that other weapons use, therefore you can only draw one javelin per turn. If you have javelins in your hand already you can take advantage of that ( ), but this literally doesn't change anything for javelins. It just encourages you to use handaxes and daggers, because they effectively gain the ammunition quality (but you have the added benefit of being able to draw two light weapons in the same turn, letting you dual wield from level 1 without being a variant human).

Fireball doesn't have an attack roll. Evasion applies to it, uncanny dodge does not. And vice versa when dealing with an attack roll - uncanny dodge works, evasion doesn't. If you didn't want to take damage, maybe you should have succeeded on that roll, user.

I've been thinking about allowing this since it occurred to me that our gnome paladin does less damage if they wield their weapon in 2 hands as opposed to one hand with the dueling fighting style. and that would also net them higher AC.

You get a free object interaction on your round. Draw/sheath a weapon, open a door, grab a potion...

tomorrow my group is doing a battle royale between everybody's characters, with 1 survivor being declared the winner.

the only rules are
1: no removing players from battlefield
2: no wishes

how do I win as a 15th level wizard against a rogue, a barbarian, two battlemaster fighters, and a sorc?

I kind of seriously wonder if the battle royale posts that pop up every second or third thread are just bait. How fucking often do people do this, really.

>still playing 3.5
>when everyone else has converted to pathfinder, 4e, or 5e

But why.

d20srd.org has all you need for 3e, btw.

you've never had a random non-canon session in your campaign user?

it's pretty common for things like birthdays/holidays/special events

Yes. Exactly. You get *one* free object interaction on your round. So you can draw a javelin and throw it, but now that you've used your free object interaction, you must spend an action to grab the next javelin. It's why people do the whole
>Drop sword
>Somatic gesture
>Pickup sword
Because dropping the sword literally has no cost what so ever, while picking up the sword spends your object interaction. If you were to sheath the sword, that would be your object interaction, and you would have to spend an action to draw it again, or wait until your next turn in order to draw it via your free object interaction.

Yep, I'm not arguing you can't use your object interaction, I'm saying it's not free.

The conversation was in response to a houserule of mine on the last thread

Weapons with the light property are completely free to draw

Weapons without light, but without heavy are unchanged, and use your object interaction

Weapons with heavy require a full action (this is based in history, weapons like greatswords were carried in carts or simply carried in hand: youtube.com/watch?v=xjURzgkCuAE)

Players have a dick waving contest and the only way to settle is PC vs PC.

user here originally saying I was debating about adopting it: I do not necessarily agree with the 'weapons with heavy require a full action', I just really like the 'weapons with light property are completely free to draw' because of throwing being such a fucking disaster, and finding it silly that dual wielding is locked behind a feat.

But that's silly user, everyone knows that if you want to win a contest like that you fuck their girl

My group had one to fill time when a player was gonna be about an hour late. Ended with the rogue winning because the gunslinger wasn't paying enough attention to realize they could just fly out of his range with their swanky aesimar wings and nail him in the head.

>>This cannot be Great Weapon Master/Polearm Master/Sharpshooter/Crossbow Expert.
Yeah just make one of those feats automatic with a martial class.

You got so close to understanding how surprise rounds work yet missed the mark.

Elaborate, please.

How surprise rounds work in 5e:

They don't

There are no surprise rounds in 5e, on the surprised condition.

Thri-Kreen are passionate hunters. I mean, their entire society revolves around it.

Would they keep creatures as hunting companions like other humanoids do? If so, what would they keep? Giant ants?

Combat section of the PHB

>the combat round in which the surprise condition is in use isn't the surprise round
??????????????????

Or, you know, make them wait until at least level four before they take it. I'm not going to make those feats automatic, but I'm going to encourage them to take feats that add to their character.

He's right, though. If assassins stealth beats the targets passive perception, they roll up initiative. The target has the surprised condition - it lasts until the target gets a turn. So if the target gets a turn before the rogue, they lose the surprise condition and gain the ability to take a reaction. Now the assassins special no longer will trigger, as the target is no longer surprised.

Personally I feel its wonky because .. I understand it on one hand, "the target is alerted as you close in and jerks away enough that you don't get your guaranteed critical", but I think its fucking DAFT because its their core feature and it becomes such an unlikely circumstance that already requires you somewhat splitting from your party.

Ankhegs
Bulettes

There's no such thing as a surprise round. It's just a round where some creatures have the surprised condition (but not necessarily all of them, because some creatures may detect you while other ones did not).

You don't get a bonus round or anything like that.

Surprise rounds no longer exist in 5e.

Ok, if you're going to try to be a smartarse, at least be correct. There are no surprise rounds. There is only the surprise conditions, which applies in the first round of combat to creatures deemed surprised. They cannot act on this first turn of theirs, after which the surprised condition is removed from them.

This means that if the assassin is after them in the initiative order, it never gets the opportunity to attack them while the surprised condition applies.

Again, to be a smartarse, you first need to be smart. Just because you're on Veeky Forums, doesn't mean you should act like a cunt 24/7.

>It's just a round where some creatures have the surprised condition
Colloquially the surprise round

Only problem with PAM is you are now pretty much stuck with those.

If you are playing AL or a module with a discreet treasure/loot list, you might might an awesome magic weapon that you aren't going to be able to use your feat with.

I am playing a game right now and I know for a fact I will never find anything other than 'maybe' a +1 Glaive but at Lv6 we have already found 3-4 named swords with more than just stat bump magic.

Guys, we're soon to fight a super powerful boss. He's got tons of HP and hits like a truck, but he's just a human. Which means no resistances and immunities beyond your standard Legendary Resistance.
Any tips on how to REALLY fuck him up?

People like you are colloquially called "cocksuckers". That doesn't mean you truly suck cock.

Just because people still use the term surprise round, doesnt mean they still exist.

That's misleading since actual rounds known as surprise rounds were in previous editions.

What classes do you have? Any spells of note?

That's okay, no one calls you anything.

It's not worth playing D&D with anyone that played previous editions, so it's fine.

We have a monk and a cleric (with 4 level spells), the rest are martials.

>go sneak up on an orcish warband
>only one of them doesn't detect you. He gets the surprised condition. No one else does.
>"SURPRISE ROUND"
Surprise rounds used to actually be a thing. Using the same term invites misunderstanding; there's a lot of folk that already don't understand how surprise works.

What are your levels?

If you have access to 6th level spells then you can always try burning his legendary resistances, then polymorph+disintegrate combo.

You're not interacting with the javelin, you're interacting with your javelin quiver.

Stunning fists. Burn it all over his face.

I took an Assassin Rogue as my first 5e character after not playing a TTRPG for years.

I just straight up told my friend that was the DM I am changing the character or building a new one. In 3 months that I had that rogue, I was able to the assassinate ability once.

As the name sake ability, it's fucking garbage. You need to be sneaking (with a party in some dungeon crawling area with sort of limits when and how you can sneak), you have to get a reasonably high Stealth (Dex) roll, you need to roll high on Initiative, AND you need a actually hit the target.

Please point out where exactly that's a thing in the book. We will wait.

>Throws entire fucking quiver at enemy

Yeah, so he spends the round surprised. What sort of round would this be described as? One of surprise?

I can understand when people get confused if they have years of collecting nonsense, bloated rules in their heads but it really makes no sense to be confused by anything in 5e.

Whipped up some mystic enemies for next week. Feel free to laugh, but constructive criticism would be more than welcome.

>I'm not interacting with the javelins I'm interacting with my javelin quiver

OK you use your object interaction to take the quiver off your back.

Now what?

>"I draw two daggers"
>But user you can't do that, you don't have the dual wielder feat
>"Its okay I put them in my bag of daggers. I'm just using my object interaction on the bag"
>Oh okay user

they make up for it with their gamebreaking 9th and 13th level features

1/all being a key word. If you're facing 20 orcs and only one of them is surprised, do you call it a surprise round?

Ps. CR 12 was just a placeholder since I made these from an archmage base. I have no idea how to calculate that shit.

There's literally nothing wrong with this RAW.

Honestly, just describing it as a condition is easier.

"The surprised condition is a condition applied to creatures who failed to perceive a creature before it could attack. A surprised creature cannot take any actions or reactions until their next turn.

Except that's not how it works RAW, user. Please elaborate how it would work.

Can't take you seriously after posting that image, sorry. Enjoy being a broken D&D player with a garble of nonsense DR and THAC0 rules floating around your head.

How can I ensure the magic items I give as loot for my party end up with the right people? The fucking Bard has a +1 shortsword that was intended for the Rogue because he loots shit stealthily while the rest of the party is doing something else. He hasn't even used the sword because he just holds onto it because "it's shiny." Also he has 700 gold when ever other party member has 100-200, but he doesn't share because the rest of the party doesn't know he has it.
First of all, how can I discourage this shitty behaviour
Second, how do I make sure the fancy shield meant for the Fighter goes to the Fighter? Especially if two people in the party use shields, how do I communicate that it's for THIS person?

>Implying I've played anything other than 5e.
I don't know what these are, user.

yes there is, if you're interacting with an object, you're interacting with THE OBJECT. You cannot interact with a "Quiver" unless you're interacting with the quiver itself, and in your case you're not interacting with the quiver, you're interacting with the javelins inside it.

You've yet to provide any references to the rules saying that you can draw more than one weapon per round.

Find better players

Make it something tied to their character, or something their character would want personally.
>The shield is emblazoned with scenes of an ancient battle/diety/is an immense and sturdy piece of metal

>want to start trickling in interesting magic items into my game
>the DMG is full of spell items and +1 equipment

What are you favorite items you've gotten that are more than just a stat boost?

really this doesnt matter because that anons houserule is literally to force a round where everyone but the rogue is surprised

this argument is stupid as fuck

Yep. The only way around this is ammunition trait; it's fine to interact with a "quiver of arrows", because arrows have the ammunition trait and can be drawn as part of your attack - javelins do not, so you need to use an object interaction on them.

Tell your players to stop being twats and play like a cohesive group, and to stop making characters that clash with the party.

If you can't do that, make the sword a sentient blade that longs for the thrill of battle, and actively tries to get away from the Bard to the rogue so it can see usage in combat.

If the bard doesn't give it to the rogue, the sword tries to possess the bard, using the rules in the DMG for sentient weapons.

If the bard manages to resist, the blade takes on the appearance of an old, rusted blade with no value.

It's not discussing the house rule, it's discussing "how does surprise work". Unless you mean the dude arguing for "surprise rounds" is house ruling, in which case, likely yes.

Make it obvious that this item goes to THIS person. By making obvious personal connections between the item and the one it's meant for.
So your fighter, say, comes from a noble house. So when he sees the rogue wielding a shield with his ancestral coat of arms on it, he'll have some questions.
Alternatively, don't give magic items with loot, give them with rewards to minor quests (essential parts of the bigger quest). Say, bard's mentor shows up and essentially gives him a magic lute for a favor. That favor takes the party to the dungeon, where they were already going to go anyway.

>you can't reach inside a bag of caltrops and drop a handful out

Yes you can. There's literally no rule that says you can't.

>it takes an action to spread a bag of caltrops out
>so if I spread out less than a full bag, it's free.

Technically user, there's literally no rule that says what less than a full bag of caltrops do.

I thought that he surprised condition lasted until the surprised creatures NEXT turn, you know, the one that they actually get to act on. It doesn't make sense to end surprise as soon as their first (skipped) turn comes along. I think you guys are misinterpreting it.

Bags come in different sizes. There's no rules against saying you can't hold more than one object in your hand. I can easily hold multiple daggers or javelins in one hand.

Aside from Wizard, what's the best class if you want to be good at building a keep/castle?

Nope, read the book user. It lasts until their turn, at which point they lose the surprised condition and can take reactions. You're the one misinterpreting it.

But yes it's a mess.