media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
Have you or your any of your party members ever made food from monsters?

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJtjLlDw-
dmsguild.com/product/219716/Encounters-in-the-Savage-Cities?sb=1
dmsguild.com/product/200486/Encounters-in-the-Savage-Frontier
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Of course; and people.

Having played in an all Lizardman party before, it's not so much that we "made food from monsters" as it was all of our enemies were simply food that hadn't learned to stop twitching yet.

I had a character in my group who cooked a Grick
He rolled decently so no one got sick at least

Sure, but they were monsters you could plausibly cook; like owlbears and winged apes.

I suspect in a desparate pinch they'd use monsters.

-----
Veeky Forums I'd like your opinion:

1. What's your favorite rule variant?

2. What is your favorite homebrew?

3. What do you think about a wound/vitality system instead of hitpoints? Basically wounds would represent actual "fleshpoints" in a sense and vitality represents everything from avoiding an attack to a decent parry, to a lucky glance of the blade off of yours. The way it would work is that your maximum wounds is equal to your constitution score. So once you get enough "HP" (which is gained in the exact same way) above that, you get a second pool called "vitality". To make the system more lethal, bonus damage on critical hits applies to wounds. I think it would fit my low fantasy stetting alright.

Unfortunately, your party has Space and/or Cave Kuru.
Fortunately, the incubation time is like 20 years, so they're all probably dead before anything bad happens.

What do you guys think about the duergar?

My party found some dried meat in some barrels in a bandit hideout. After greedily hording it and gorging themselves on food the next few days they found out the bandits were cannibals and the meat was people meat.

Reposting my question from last thread
I'm trying to use the Form Fillable Character Sheet pdf, but every time I change my Str/Dex, whatever it changes the last one I changed to -5. Any idea why/how can I fix it?

>Drawing continent map
>Just putting shit wherever
>"This doesn't look right."
>Look up how rivers flow
>How lakes form
>How rain shadows usually work
>Normal climate of places [insert natural landmarks here]
>Island formations
>Proper mountain ranges
>Look at my map
>Realize what I've done
>My face

How do you draw forests on a map, /5eg/? I tried just doing an outline but I'm not sure how to make them look natural. Their borders end up looking like my lakes.

Unfairly overshadowed by the drow.

Just hit level 3 and I'm finding it hard to pick level 2 spells for my wizard. Any suggestions?

Do you think there'll be rules for parasites and infections in ToA?

Scorching Ray, Hold Person, Enlarge/Reduce, Maximilian's Earthen Grasp, Shatter, Mirror Image, Invisibility, Flaming Sphere

If it doesn't have to be super detailed just make it green and bushy.

Reminder that Sorcerers are shit and need buffs. Like these:

They now use spell points instead of slots

They now get a domain list of free spells that are thematic to their sorcerous origin, see here: homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJtjLlDw-

Empowered Spell now reads as: When you roll damage for a spell, you can spend 1 sorcery point to roll an additional damage die for every die rolled its maximum result. You can add an additional number of damage dice in this way for a number of dice up to your Charisma modifier (minimum of one). Additional dice rolled from this Metamagic option can also grant additional dice of their own.

Distant Spell now reads as: When you cast a spell that has a range of 5 feet or greater. you can spend 1 sorcery point to double the range of the spell. When you cast a spell that has a range of touch, you can spend 1 sorcery point to make the range of the spell 60 feet.

Heightened spell now reads as: When you cast a spell that forces a creature to make a saving throw to resist its effects, you can spend 3 sorcery points to give one target of the spell disadvantage on its first saving throw made against the spell. You can do so after the creature rolls for the saving throw but before any effects of the roll occur.

Extended Spell now reads as: When you cast a spell that has a duration of 1 minute or longer, you can spend 2 sorcery points to increase its duration to 8 hours.

Careful Spell now reads as: When you cast a spell that forces other creatures to make a saving throw, you can protect some of those creatures from the spell's full force. To do so, you spend 1 sorcery point and choose a number of those creatures up to your Charisma modifier (minimum of one creature). The chosen creatures automatically succeed on their saving throws against the spell, and they take no damage if they would normally take half damage on a successful save.

>tfw I did all of that and came up with ancient geography and plate tectonics for my campaign map which will never, ever be known by the players or important in any way
But at least it's all scientifically consistant in my head and the parts that aren't are the result of ancient technology from a past civilization literally moving the continents as part of a post-apocalyptic terraforming project that has since gone awry

Fuck this is cool.

Anyone?

We killed a pack of owlbears in Pathfinder once.

Got about 500 lbs off them.

Print out your character sheet and do it with a pencil

Speaking of Earthen Grasp, can it really not grab the same creature if it breaks out or is badly written?

I'm trying to send it to my DM who lives 30 minutes away from me for his approval before I start writing stuff down on paper.

Put it in paint and fill it out with the paint tools.

Draw a dick in the bottom left too.

Alright kids, damage bard is back.

Level 14 College of Swords bard, now what do I do? I'm thinking a two level dip in Warlock for hexblade shenanigans, and that still leaves four levels. Fighter maybe? Barbarian?

Pretty sure every character who ate any of it has already died at this point

>1. What's your favorite rule variant?
Spellpoints for sorcerers.
>2. What is your favorite homebrew?
This may seem stupid bit its a feat that lets you take one of the fighters fighting styles. Any class may take it once and fighters may take it multiple times choosing styles they dont have.
>3. What do you think about a wound/vitality system instead of hitpoints? Basically wounds would represent actual "fleshpoints" in a sense and vitality represents everything from avoiding an attack to a decent parry, to a lucky glance of the blade off of yours. The way it would work is that your maximum wounds is equal to your constitution score. So once you get enough "HP" (which is gained in the exact same way) above that, you get a second pool called "vitality". To make the system more lethal, bonus damage on critical hits applies to wounds. I think it would fit my low fantasy stetting alright.
Fantasycraft has it. I didn't like it but it wasn't really offensive to me or anything. I just felt like it was a superfluous system that added unnecessary rules to the game.

>What's your favorite rule variant?
Playing on a grid, technically
>What is your favorite homebrew?
My own
>What do you think about a wound/vitality system instead of hitpoints?
Seems a bit over complicated for my taste

I disagree with giving them spell points, since I find it only serves to make them outshine Martials even earlier, and find it a bit dumb that most of the spells dragon sorcerer gets as a domain overlaps with it's must have concentration spells. I'd most likely limit the amount of domain spells sorcerer gets to 3-5 Focusing mostly on what's considered must have damage spells as I consider a low spell list one of the key things that distinguishes them from wizard and bard.

>What is your favorite homebrew?
>My own
Yes and?

What class setup would work best for a very long range character, like a sniper? Gunsmith? Sharpshooter? Hunter?

My initial guess is Gunsmith since a gun is obviously going to outrange a bow and the thunder cannon has a range of 500 feet, but I'm not sure if there are other, maybe magical, weapons out there that can beat that.

Other than that the metamagic buffs are nice, even if I think there should be a lot more metamagics in general.

We have a character whose life goal is to make edible puddings (the creature not the desert) that magically change flavor based on the tastes of the creature that eats them.

Currently he has a lab with four different puddings that he is magically fucking with to change their very nature.

Fighter 1/rogue X with the archery fighting style, sharpshooter feat, and a longbow.

>spell points for sorcerers
Where can I find this?

What's a good backstory for someone with a whip fetishist

Nice quads
Anyway I made several new metamagic options for Sorcerers, I can post them if you or are interested

DMG pg. 288-289

Sorcerers know 15 Spells.
Bards know 22 without even going lore.
Wizards can prep 25 spells and have 19 unprepped that can still be ritual casted.

Fuck off they drastically need more spells known to at least put it on par with Bard. Giving them spell points doesn't make them outshine martials any more than any other fullcaster would with slots.

Well... the whip is designed originally for herding shit. Take your pick. If you want the coolest, I'd choose horse trainer.

Alternatively you are using the whip because you are a slaver and people are your cattle.

How exactly do spell points function any different from spell slots.

You can cast the spells in any level combo you want. You can cast all 1st-level if you want, or all-5th, or anywhere in between. Plus, most people combine them with sorcery points, which makes metamagic actually useful.

are you pressing enter after putting in the numbers or just clicking to the next box.

It's basically a mana bar instead of having several different sized slots. You get a significantly increased amount of avaliable casts of lower level spells is the most important thing.

Increased versatility. Want to cast a bunch of 5th-level spells and not bother with 1st and 2nd level spells for a day? You can do that with spell points, but not with slots. Want to cast a shitload of 1st-level spells - even more than you could by upcasting with higher slots? You can do that with spell points.

Also, typically when giving spell points to sorcs you combine them with their Sorcery Points, so they have the option of fewer spells with a lot of metamagic, which is fun as fuck.

If you play variant human and pick those lame ass new UA feats. You are literally cancer.

What's wrong with variant human?

You're right, sharpshooter or great weapon master are still the best choices.

Some feats make the early levels incredibly broken and cheesy. It's not a problem in the higher levels but having a feat at level 1 can be too powerful depending on which one you pick: crossbow, polearm, greatweapon, sniper I think are the 4 most people agree are just too gud. I would argue mage slayer is also too good early on from personal experience.

See the reason why I dislike changes,that pretty much just boil down to giving them domain spells, at least the way they were executed there, was that they mostly don't help them at all, If the guy was going to build his sorcerer around the spell type in question he was most likely gonna pick it up in question, or drop it when he levelled up. if he wasn't then most of the time it just doesn't help him at all, as sorcerer by design generally wants to keep using the same strategy over and over again. Also, >Trying to argue that a spell system who's only benefit is to allow spellcasters to spam low level utility spells more often doesn't shit all over martials.

Sure bro I'll go V Human PAM or GWM instead of trying something flavorful by taking Spear Mastery or Historian. Optimized builds every game are fun, right?

Yes please

>Alchemical Spell
When you cast a spell that deals acid, cold, fire, lightning, poison, or thunder
damage, you can spend 1 sorcery point to change that damage type to another type
among those same options.

>Delayed Spell
When you cast a spell that has a casting time of less than one minute, you can
spend 2 sorcery points to delay the effects of the spell. You cast the spell as
normal, but none of the effects of the spell occur immediately. Choose a number
of rounds no greater than half your sorcerer level. The effects of the spell
occur that many rounds into the future on an initiative count that you choose
when you cast the spell. If the spell has a range of self or touch, the spell
takes effect as normal. Otherwise, the effects of the spell originate from where
the spell was originally cast. You can only delay one spell at a time.

>Enlarged Spell
When you cast a spell that effects an area, you can spend a number of sorcery
points equal to 1 + the spell's level to double the size of the area effected by
this spell in all dimensions.

>Frightening Spell
When you cast a spell that targets only one creature, you can spend 3 sorcery
points to force the target to make a Wisdom saving throw against your spell save
DC. On a failure, the target becomes frightened of you for one minute. The
target can repeat this saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the
effect on a success.

>Merciful Spell
When you cast a spell that deals damage, you can spend 1 sorcery point to
restrain this spell's power. If a creature is reduced to 0 hit points by this
spell and not killed outright, the creature falls unconscious and is stable.

>Strange Spell
When you cast a spell that forces a creature to make a saving throw to resist
its effects, you can spend 3 sorcery points to change the first saving throw for
one creature from one ability to another of your choice.

>combine them with Sorcery Points

Now, do you mean at level 7, you combine the 38 Spell Points and the 7 Sorcery for a total of 45? Or just take the 38 and use it for both?

Context (due to post length) - Alchemical and Strange are based on the UA Loremaster wizard's abilities to change damage type and saving throw, and Strange is balanced against Heightened (3 SP). Delayed spell is based on a homebrew Chronomancer wizard school that my DM let me play once. Enlarged is pretty straight forward, and Frightening and Merciful are based on some other user's homebrewed metamagic, and were the only two of like 20 or so options that I actually found interesting.

I like it.

Thanks friend

So come up with a few feats that are no-go at level one. Hell, make it easy: You can take any non-martial feat.

Still, I'm not sure it would upset the balance of power that much. After all, anyone seriously interested in getting a feat that you list is going to pick them up at level 4.

Party of level 6's are storming a Beholder's lair despite being warned by countless individuals that he is "ruthless" and "those who enter are shot out as dust like exhaust". But no, they think its just commoner's panicking.

Didn't intend for them to balls to the walls this. The Beholder I had in writing had Legendary Resistances because I anticipated them being a bit smarter and luring it outside. Should I let them reap what they sow or tone it down slightly?

this motherfucker has Wyvern pets and I'm using the Volo's lair map for him

Quads here, very nice

Other than Alchemelichal spell (Mostly due to my hatred of lore wizard and the fact that I generally dislike the idea of a non wild magic sorcerer changing the elements of a spell at will.) These are all really nice.

I tried both, both make the number go back to -5.

>How do you expect your players to react to a TPK?
>Do you think they will avoid a TPK by running?
>Do your players believe that you would ever present them with a challenge that was impossible?
>Are you comfortable with killing your players' characters?
>Will PC death cause the campaign to fall apart or cause other tensions within the group?

Ask yourself these questions.

The reason I made it a metamagic option instead of a wild magic ability is so that Draconic sorcerers that weren't fire would actually be able to get some use out of their Elemental Affinity ability

Thanks

Unfair encounters are only unfair if the players don't know what they are getting into.

Options that you can take:

1. Do the players have a mentor or wise contact? They could stop in and let the players know that they've been digging up info and this beholder is way beyond their scope.

2. Take a group of enemies that the players have some context regarding... like, say, assume they fought some hobgoblin and had a rough time. Throw a group of hobgoblins after the beholder for whatever reason and have the players discretely observe them getting absolutely slaughtered by the Beholder.

3. A magical barrier is protecting the beholder lair. Looks like they gotta go questan.

4. Perhaps they are joined by a group of people who they earlier assisted? Perhaps they are joined mid-fight, or right as they are about to get beholder fucked.

5. Death is only one of many possibilities to end a fight. The beholder could get a lot from a group of adventurers. Of course, a creature as intelligent as a beholder would surely know how to track the PCs.

bumping because its frustrating having only one thing mess up lol

Guys, Extra Attack can attack 2 different tarjets or it has to be the same one for the 2 attacks?

It can be different targets. And you can move in between attacks.

Each of your attacks can be against any target in range, regardless of how many you have. You can also move between attacks in 5e to go hit someone else with your second attack.

It can attack different targets.

Normally I'd just let them remake existing spells into that element, but your approach works too. I just find the idea of the ice dragon descendant needing to make modifications to his spell to make it actually deal ice damage a bit...dumb.

So I just read the mystic UA... they are essentially just Autistics with magical nerd rage?

Sounds about right

No but if that fits your character concept then there's nothing wrong with making a self-insert

What's a good reward I can give to a spellcaster? It's easy to give a fighter a cool thing related to his backstory, just make a cool sword with a neat effect, but if a guy can cast all sorts of spells its hard to make something meaningful

That's hurts my feelings user-chan. Y-y-you should apologize before my mind goes into a psychic rage!

Give him an item that augments one of his favorite spells. Maybe add some minor damage to web, maybe make mage armor give him a bonus to a save while it's on etc. Up to you how powerful you want it to be.

A spellbook that allows them to choose a single ritual spell to cast at-will without the ritual.

A holy symbol that has 3 charges that can be spent to cast bless, guiding bolt, or healing word.

A crystal that causes eldritch blasts to explode, dealing 1d6 force damage to a second creature within 5 feet of a target.

>buddy introduced his new character
>knew ahead of time he was playing some sort of Goliath
>not sure on what class or anything of the sort
>his character is introduce running from bumblefuck nowhere to save us from an Orc attack
>wearing nothing but cloth and this helmet jetting at full speed
>magical weapon is conjured
>he casts fly on himself and zooms in like a madman
>dive bomb attacks Orcs, flying like Hancock

old hexblade warlock is something to behold. this dude is fun to play with. still hasn't given us his name so we just all call him Something.

youre filling in the wrong box mate

Fucking seriously? The huge box is the modifier? that makes no sense. jfc. thank you for helping me figure it out, though

The modifier is what you'll be looking at 99% of the time. It should be in the big box.

Ring of spell storing

Sounds fun

Ring of Spell Storing just ends up going to a martial in any competent group. The caster WANTS his ally to have an extra otherwise unused concentration effect.

Makes it so he can cast more fun spells m8

Literally how? It lets you give non-casters something to do, but the caster himself plays the exact same as he always did, except he wants to refill the ring periodically. If anything, he'll SAVE spell slots to throw into it.

>Night before throws a spell or tow into it
>Here now I don't have to babysit you
>Casts fly on self and moon walks away into the sky
It sucks having to always worry about casting spells on them instead of yourself

yeah, the modifier number is the important one so you'd want to see that more

>All this repeated talk about Sorcerer's wanting buffs
>Meanwhile my sorc is up there with monk (monk made mincemeat out of weaker encounters while I dealt with harder ones) for damage and just broke party out with subtle spell and scorching ray (no items, so we were limited to no spell components)
I kind of want to ask DM, but damn, this is not the best position to do it. I really like innate spells from origin as a theme.

Draconic sorcerer getting a spell with a component that has a cost as one of its first free spells feels like a rip.

Are there mystic multiclasses that aren't stupidly overpowered?

RAW, you can't multiclass as a mystic. RAI, you can't multiclass as a mystic. Explicitly, UA content is not tuned to be multiclassed.

So, in answer, probably? But you'd have to intentionally not min/mas. On the flip side, Artificer multiclass is probably ass. So really, they just don't work well as is.

Asked this before but sadly the person did not upload to the Trove yet.

Does anyone have:

dmsguild.com/product/219716/Encounters-in-the-Savage-Cities?sb=1

dmsguild.com/product/200486/Encounters-in-the-Savage-Frontier

>RAW, you can't multiclass as a mystic.
What are you talking about?

>RAI, you can't multiclass as a mystic. Explicitly, UA content is not tuned to be multiclassed.
That doesn't stop people in this thread alone from doing exactly that, though.

wu jen's ability to create spell slots explicitly says that you can use your created spell slots to use the three wizard spells you know from wu jen "as well as any other spells you are capable of casting", which would require a multiclass

Not true, racial spells exist, as does Magic Initiate.

none of these use spell slots, they're one per day/long rest spell like abilities

It's not as if sorcs are even that weak on an overall scale, it's just compared to the other full casters of 5e they're definitely the weakest and more importantly, lacking a real niche. Like 99% of the time a wizard can do what a sorc would while having the versatility to do something else if needed.
Like in my current game I'm playing a phoenix sorc and easily have the highest damage output of anyone in the group by an enormous margin, but an evoker wizard wouldn't be too far behind what I can do and would also be able to meaningfully contribute in a magical fashion outside of combat too with rituals and general utility spells. I wouldn't mind my flexibility being limited but it's more or less nonexistent because of how few spells sorcs can learn. Domain spells would really be great for that, I mean you'd think a guy who can set himself on fire to turbocharge his fire magic would know stuff like scorching ray inherently.

You are still "capable of casting" them. There was even a sageadvice about a similar topic, in which they confirmed that those types of abilities do, in fact, count for this type of thing

My necromancer has a sick lantern that lets him slurp up souls. With enough, I can regain a spell slot or create a minion. Have to use the bonus action to shine a light on a creature, and can do so 2x per day, so it limits enough that it's not crazy.

Obv not everyone is cool with necromancy but maybe it'll give you an idea.