Nagasaki said we can have one meta thread

Nagasaki said we can have one meta thread

How do we fix Veeky Forums?

More loli threads to drive out normies

Zero tolerance policies against real politics. Discussing fictional politics is fine, but if you want to be a political philosopher you can go elsewhere.

Also, a community-based agreement to ignore bait and troll posters, starting with the one above me.

We have to kill it.

>asking for downboats
Why not just go to reddit, then?

As much as I enjoy the game? Purge the 40k generals as soon as they hit critical shitposting mass. That's usually about 30 posts in.

Why would you want to drive out yourself?

Leave it be.

>Zero tolerance policies against real politics.

>"Hey guys, how do I into conservative republic for my setting?"
>"Well, during the Thermidor Reaction...." [USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST]

One thing I've noticed over the last 2 years is drop in number of image replies. From my observations on other boards and mostly in active Veeky Forums threads such trend correlates with stagnation and following death of the threads. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I suck cocks but it looks this way.

I'd like that too, but being able to compare real world stuff to fictional stuff is really useful.
I'd say zero tolerance against real, modern politics.

this

Sorry, I'd rather preserve the fictional worldbuilding part of Veeky Forums. The historical discussions that aren't specifically about alternate history settings can go to Veeky Forums.

That was the implication, yeah. I didn't mean all politics throughout history, just the kind that makes the board into a mess. If someone can't figure out the difference, I don't know what to tell them.

There should be a zero tolerance policy against retards, which the two of you represent.
Yeah lets not ever talk about politics, a topic that Veeky Forums has ALWAYS been steering of into since its fucking inception in 2008.

You two are proof how reddit is shitting up this board, get the fuck out.

More Cestree.

Fictional worldbuilding without any reference to reality in one way or another is... well, ungrounded. It makes discussing the politics of a fictional setting utterly impossible.

What Veeky Forums needs isn't MORE gutting of content. If we go down that path we'll only be left with a slow moving /pfg/ and /5eg/ because the rest has been banished/moved to separate boards. Until generals are banned of course.

Seriously, if /pol/ dropping the occassional redpill hurts your sphincter so much you can go to GiantITP forums and virtue signal all you want there.

>Discussing fictional politics
You can't discuss fictional politics without bringing up real world history and as a result real politics. We had interesting threads about fictional geography and politics like 'what if Atlantis as a landmass existed' but they boil down to our knowledge of real world to create believable world of fiction.

I can't even tell what you're saying.

>a topic that Veeky Forums has ALWAYS been steering of into since its fucking inception in 2008.

Veeky Forums being good DESPITE something is very different from it being good BECAUSE of something.

People have been shitposting and trolling here forever. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be discouraged.

>More pathetic worshipping of a talent-less whore

Well baited

Can a toon even have actual talent?

>thinking that you can separate fictional politics off from real politics analogies
my oh my, what a stupid faggot you are

I think thats what they meant, no discussing modern politics, or falling for thinly veiled attempts at political bait, but discussing real life historical events relevant to in-universe events would be perfectly acceptable. No one really wants another thread thats just bitching and moaning about politics in RPGs, but a thread asking about how to adapt elements of the Genpei War into L5R or make a Dwarf kingdom based on merchant city-state Venice would be interesting and relevant.

>Zero tolerance policies against real politics
I give my vote to this.

Real-world politics, racism, and religious hate have no place here.

I think we could use a lot less of the bitterness you represent, and more of the genuine love for games she represents.

How is it broken?

You could take the time to explain why you think what he's asking is unreasonable, instead of shitting on the floor.

Start a separate board for Warhams, so that 40kids can shit it up with their "what if [thing from another franchise] was in 40k" threads without annoying any adults.

The only "problem " Veeky Forums has is idiots not being able to ignore things they don't like.
>Oh, no someone said something poitical
Report for off-topic, ignore, and move on. Or learn to live with it. Text on a screen isnt going to hurt you any.
>Quest shitposting.
There will always and forever be quest-related shitposting. See above.

Of course, but if political posts were systematically deleted there would be less idiots answering them.

>Report for off-topic
It doesn't work, shit doesn't get deleted, shit appears again.

Then the solution is to enforce the rules we have, rather than creating new rules which will be as unenforced as the current ones, leading to more salt, butthurt, and tears from those who feel aggrieved about their inconsistant application.

I'd rather make a statement than simply shove everything into the off-topic closet. Modern political shitmongering is a crux, if not THE crux of the problem. Denial of the fact is just pointless waffling

>zero tolerance for anything
Fuck no. Veeky Forums is best when it is off topic and when the mods turn a blind eye to it, and I'm not risking that for anything.

The idea is to create a sense of importance and urgency, to prioritize politics-spam as a threat to the board's health. That can get it weeded out more efficiently.

This is why we have moderation in the first place: The worst offenses need to be removed quickly to minimize the detrimental impact they have on our experience. If we have real-world politics flaming here every day, that's energy we're spending on unnecessary acidity and hatefulness instead of traditional games discussion.

Rules are useful because people follow them. Clearer rules make it so people who refuse to follow them can be safely banned.

Veeky Forums is and was literally made for 40k. It's its board. I don't even like it. Everything in it looks stupid as fuck. Still literally theirs though.

Fuck off /r9k/

Here's a thought. Don't ban politics outright, but ban western politics. That allows us to still talk about historical politics, and other things that don't cause flamewars.

If you want this kind of a space, go to giantitp. It does what you want, and it's fucking horrible.

>Don't ban all politics outright, but ban controversial politics
FTFY

I gotta confess here.
I unintentionally derailed a filename thread by making a brief tangent to something related to social issues. I tried steering it back but it got out of control and I was half-assed in my attempts. Nobody was posting images and instead it was a mess. I'm surprised nothing happened to me or the thread. I wouldn't even mind getting banned for it at the time, though it's probably too late to punish me now.
By the least give out warnings next time in case I do this again because I'm trying to cut politics (cancer) out of my life. The environment of current events is already a quagmire.

>Then the solution is to enforce the rules we have
Veeky Forums would be almost completely empty if we were really strict about the few rules we have.

Or keep it pre-1990, or even pre-2001. That'd limit the worst of it.

>zero tolerance for X
>community-based agreement on Y
>on Veeky Forums
No, everything should be equally valid. More moderation would lead to redditification of the board, which already has a high enough ratio of prudes and normalfags to justify the nickname "/d/ lite/

>to prioritize politics-spam as a threat to the board's health
The problem is only half of it gets deleted. You can go to archive and find deleted political posts. Know what they have in common? Most of them don't belong to mainstream American politics. I don't say it means they are good but the other half of the shitstorm which usually derails threads in the first place doesn't get touched at all. You can ask for stricter priorities on politics-spam as much as you want, as long as one side gets special treatment and gets spared from punishment this spam won't go anywhere. All shitposts are equal but some are more equal than others.

Ignoring bait would be enough, but it's a user problem that extra moderation won't solve. /pol/ vs anti/pol/ slapfights happen because instead of ignoring and reporting when someone posts really fucking obvious bait like WE for some reason people will sperg out and create the attention loop the baiting poster wanted.

>Veeky Forums is and was literally made for 40k.

This is an old lie made up by 40kids without any proof. It's all just them exaggerating how important they thought their WW threads were, and should never be taken seriously.

While I agree with the ideals of laissez faire moderation, that only works when there's a sense of community and enough agreement between participants to get rid of undesirables. That's how Veeky Forums has always worked, but now it can't, because there's too many undesirables to realistically coordinate the good eggs.

Now, if you're literally arguing for no social moderation at all, you don't know where you are. This is Veeky Forums, where anonymity makes it so social experiments are the norm. It's not a free-for-all. Everything in it socializes you to behave a certain way. That's why newfags get shit on.

I don't think you belong on this board.

Remember when mods deleted Dwarf Fortress and Star Trek threads for being off topic? That was nearly the death of Veeky Forums.

I don't think you do, redditor.

Ban anyone who uses the words 'pedo', 'degenerate', 'Reddit'. Also delete system-war posts. I can't even count the number of threads arguing about what system is 'better'.

Also strict application of global rule #3

Do you think the board is going to suddenly keel over and die without Trump-spam?

Off topic crap has been bread and butter of Veeky Forums since forever

Dwarf Fortress is a videogame. There are already boards to discuss videogames.
Star Trek "belongs " here insofar as the tabletop games and miniatures. Any discussion about anything not directly related to that has other places to be discussed.

>everything is equally valid on Veeky Forums
Hah, no. Shit already gets deleted or autosaged because it rustles some cucks jimmies. Shits never been equal on Veeky Forums and never will be.

Veeky Forums being good DESPITE something is very different from it being good BECAUSE of something.

People have been shitposting and trolling here forever. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be discouraged.

Fuck off, pedo Reddit degenerate

Would be kinda of cool if the thread OP had the power to moderate their thread

But that would probably lead to a greater echo chamber than we already have.

Also, generals, especially /pfg/, would be chaos.

>Veeky Forums being good DESPITE something is very different from it being good BECAUSE of something.
Yeah? And you can say for sure offtopic crap hasn't been more helpful than harmful?

i hate normies but also loli, i am conflicted

Easily.

And Veeky Forums is good BECAUSE of its off-topic tradition (one of the reasons anyway), not despite it.

So tell me something, now that the board is more-or-less focused on staying on topic, can you honestly tell me that the board is better off than it was back when everything was relevant?

Because I'd rather have a stupid thread going on about how to create a Castle Crashers campaign using E6 rules than the millionth fucking "we hate D&D" thread that has been posted nonstop for the past few months.

Can you show us your data which lets you state that so easily?

We can't, even if the earlier detrimental actions were now revoked, the damage already done is irreversible.
On the bright side the place might eventually get bad enough to actually make us quit.

And of course the new classic 'Ruling is hard' threads

>Dwarf Fortress is a videogame.
Depending on who you ask, so's D&D, Shadowrun, and Vampire: the Masquerade. In fact, it'd be easier to list tabletop games that didn't branch out into other forms of media than the ones that stayed purely tabletop.

Generals would be impossible because people would make multiple threads just to reign over them.

God I fucking hate those, especially the ones that basically boil down to "if you have something higher than an 9 for your best stat, you're a minmaxer who deserves to fellate a gas pipe."

Like really fucker?

Removing /pol/ from Veeky Forums would vastly improve the quality of the rest of the site.

>Dwarf Fortress is a videogame.
Dwarf Fortress is more Veeky Forums than you dumb post, fucko. Same for Star Trek.

How is a castle crashers campaign using e6 offtopic?

>how to create a Castle Crashers campaign using E6 rules
That's on-topic.

Yeah, that's why I said they'd be chaos, especially /pfg/ which has had six simultaneous threads at once because they couldn't agree on the OP image or question.

I image 2hu/collette/earth retard would have his own private general, all to himself.

What? There's difference between tabletop franchises having videogames and fantasy base-building simulator vidya being considered tabletops.

Nope, it's off topic because you're talking about a video game under the guise of discussing a tabletop game, which is against the rules.

At least, according to NAZImod from back in the day when threads were being deleted left and right for not being Veeky Forums enough.

Ban op and fp.

This is pretty much entirely because there's nobody making OC outside the dedicated art threads anymore. All the artists who would spontaneously commemorate a good story or funny rules observation with fanart left for different places years back, and all the new artists already have their own spaces on the internet they stick to.

There's a lack of the spontaneous drive to create that drove the more memorable discussions back then. All the art is cloistered in exactly two threads (Drawfag and Towergirls), all the writing is contained to exactly three threads (The Jumpchain COYA, "That Guy" threads that basically function as generals, and the Worldbuilding thread). Outside of a few dedicated projects with dedicated generals the OC creators never leave, there's no more drive to add onto other people's ideas, expand on their mythologies, or solidify them as part of the board. Nothing organically grows as part of the board's culture any more, in the same way a character like Noh did.

I don't think there's really a way to fix it anymore. I don't think the board is dead, or unusable, but the way the board is formatted and creative projects work these days is antithetical to the sort of open, collaborative, spontanious drive we used to have, and I honestly don't have think we even have the population to do it again these days.

Even if there was a difference, the differences would be purely arbitrary because tabletop is not that big of a niche to where you can't find any overlap with other forms of media.

I saw card games for fucking 007 user, and Monopoly is always printing special edition boards based off of Mario and shit.

Nah

Okay, if there's no actual discussion about converting mechanics to e6, then sure it's off-topic, but you didn't mention that in your original response.

Who the fuck wants castle crasher threads, honestly? Off-topic stuff is fine if it's good but fuck off with that shit. What a retarded example

This.

People act like /pol/ getting axed would cause it to spill into the rest of the site, and it probably would for a while. Then they'd get tired of it and leave.

>inb4 "you just don't want to hear opinions you don't like"
It's not even a matter of /pol/ having opinions I don't like, everything about /pol/ is cancer. Right-wing, left-wing, every facet of /pol/ is terrible and precludes any form of common sense in favor of rampant shitposting.

>How do we fix Veeky Forums?
By filling it with quality on-topic content, not by banning everything off-topic.
People don't want to talk about on-topic, well, topics only because the level of discussion in regards to them is usually bottom tier trash.
Make on-topic threads interesting, and people will talk about on-topic subjects.

>Who the fuck wants castle crasher threads, honestly
The anons in the thread, obviously.

i like quickened spell the most

Do you have the reading comprehension of a dead chimpanzee? How did you even reach that conclusion based on what I wrote?

Be honest.

I wouldn't mind. Honesty.

>Castle Crashers campaign using E6 rules

That's ontopic.

>"we hate D&D" thread

That's a different form of shitposting, and not really relevant to what we're discussing.

The issue with offtopic shitposting is that traditional games are very much a niche hobby. We're kind of outnumbered here if people decided to routinely spam offtopic threads here.

There's a lot of things I liked more about old Veeky Forums. The drawfags not being cloistered together in the drawthread, writefags being encouraged to write things that were often only tangentially related to traditional games, and generally more love towards OC.

But, to say "Old Veeky Forums was better because of all the offtopic shitposting, machine spam, board raids, and twenty daily troll threads" is kind of ridiculous. As much as I dislike the current daily troll threads we have now, there's at least the benefit that there's fewer of them.

I personally don't believe in a "Zero Tolerance" policy. The occasional offtopic thread is alright, and it only becomes an issue if people try to routinely make the same offtopic thread or even to try and create an offtopic general or pseudo-general.

Call me when Dwarf Fortress has a tabletop or a boardgame.

If you want to convert a video game setting or some of the mechanics into tabletop it's on-topic. Of course if it's just a lazy attempt at talking about the video game itself, which is something that does happen, it should get deleted. user should be able to recognize this and point it out, since mods often don't read the threads or are knowledgable enough to judge.

Tell him to fuck off and continue everything as usual?

>wanting to discus dwarf fortress on the cancer that is /v/
Sorry I want to have an actual discussion not random shit posting about consoles and Todd Howard.

Legit, bring back /wst/. It'd draw those people back.

I want people to be able to post politics on Veeky Forums, but I don't want people to derail threads with politics on Veeky Forums. The tankies and Aut-Right can take their shit to /pol/ and stay out everywhere else. Even if axeing /pol/ would not cause a spill-over it would remove a significant amount of traffic from the site.
All that needs to happen is slightly stricter moderation. Keep /pol/, but make sure that they are contained. They don't have to be contained as hard as /mlp/, but there should be more enforcement on blatant /pol/bait.

>goblins are
>kitsune are
>thri-keen are
>orcs are
>elves are
>dwarves are
>neko are
>girl(boy)s are
>ultramarines are
>Skaven are

Make a dwarf fortress solitaire card back. Then it'll technically be on-topic

>The issue with offtopic shitposting is that traditional games are very much a niche hobby. We're kind of outnumbered here if people decided to routinely spam offtopic threads here.
Okay, and whose fucking fault is that? We have dozens of on-topic threads daily and they usually either die before hitting 150 posts or get derailed by /pol/shit and general shitposting by 3aboos who can't take a joke or valid criticism on their busted ass game.

People being too anal about things being on-topic has stagnated every single board that follows this philosophy, especially when one of the oldest tenets of Veeky Forums is the fact that if you want to talk about something, you talk about anywhere BUT the board that's most related to the topic.