/5eg/: 5th Edition General

D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Unearthed Arcana: Eladrin and Gith
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf

>Tortle Package, thanks to our *wonderful* friends from the /5eg/ (((Official))) Discord
imgur.com/a/74MAj

>Our wonderful friends from the /5eg/ Official Discord
discord.gg/Wjs77ZM

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

So /5eg/, what do you think of Tortles? Any ideas for them as PCs, NPCs? What do you think of them in contrast to the Eladrin and Gith we just received? What do you think about the new monsters in Tortle Package?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/iglMj
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Previous Thread

ToA leak album
imgur.com/a/iglMj

>Paying for a new race
What the fuck is this? Does it at least come with ToS?

It's got some new areas and monsters and such to be used with ToA alongside the tortle race, and all proceeds go to charity.

What are your thoughts on dinosaur animal companions with revised ranger?

>Any ideas for them as PCs?
Tortles make pretty good clerics and druids, you also can be a meme strength monk

So this is not in ToS? Fuck WotC

It'll be on the trove soon enough, at least we have the stats.

Would it be too much of a jerk move to have an enemy cast Maze on the 6 INT fighter?

How do I kensei?

I have the option to attack with a longsword or longbow. I also have the option to forgo that attack and instead gain +2 AC if I make an unarmed strike.

Does that make me more damaging, or more tanky, than your typical monk? Should I be frontlining and flurrying, or hit-and-running with step of the wind, or tanking with patient defense?

What do you guys think the best hardcover is to re-flavor into an underwater-based adventure?

Curse of Strahd. Welcome to Ravenlake.

Strahd would then need to be played more like Ursula and that would be fucking awesome.

>Sea King's Trident.

"Your PCs are walking in the woods. There is no one around and their torch is dead.
Out of the corner of their eye, they spot him...
Shia LeBouf

Why does he have 16 AC with a Dex bonus of +3?

Why does he have a Stealth of +7 with a Proficiency of +3 and a Dex of +3?

Why a Performance of +8 with a Prof of +3 and Cha mod of +4?

Why do you use CHA saves to resist banishment?

Why can't wotc stop schlicking over fucking natural weapons jesus christ. And why the fuck does a turtle get str instead of con.

Pic related it's the guys at wotc smoking fucking crack.

Considering a wood elf monk has proficiency with longbow & longsword, and wood elves are pretty commonly used for monks due to their racial bonuses, you'd probably err more on the tanky end of things. Provided your unarmed defense is fairly high (>15), +2 AC and Patient Defense is gonna make you pretty tough to hit. Unarmed strike + flurry of blows could also be pretty good, especially once you hit 5th level and your unarmed damage die becomes a d6, since you still gain that +2 AC.

If you take CHA to represent force of will, it makes perfect sense.

You're trying to convince them to let you stay.

I want to use him as an encounter in ToA, stop me bros.

Because demons and devils are CHA casters and this way the spell hardly ever works.

As the ancient Veeky Forums adage goes: DO IT FAGGOT!

that zombie trex vomits zombies. It's so stupid it's great.

Could a party of 4 level 11s take on that final boss? Assume they are only moderately creative and a mix of veterans and newbies.

Because they enjoy the STR + Natural armor meme because they know they don't have a class that will both use the STR and the natural armor that isn't some horrible joke build.

You mean it's amazing.

The PCs should have some pretty good magical swag, either items picked up or boons from the gods, by the time they get to the final encounter. Also acererak doesnt come out until _after_ the atropal is slain, and he uses his magic to (attempt to) flee after he's down to 100 hp or less. Its still a big fuck all bloody brawl of an encounter, but its sketched out in such a way to not be impossible.

Wizard supremacy, send him to hell.

I want to use it so bad but it will destroy ALL immersion.

Do you get XP by participating in the dinorace (rolling on behalf of other npcs)?

Sometimes you JUST GOTTA DO IT!

Wouldn't be a bad recurring enemy. A crazed tribal, or perhaps a super zombie. Keeps re-appearing if they don''t destroy him entirely. He could potentially fight them once in a dungeon, then appear behind them again.

It looks like a brutal encounter. I feel like if the party misses out on even some loot along the way they're going to be SoL against him. Though if "fleeing" counts as a victory condition for the PCs it'll be much more manageable.

How much gold would a 3rd level character be expected to have?

I mean sure? But im not sure what that has to do with immersion.

But user! I can't! No one will take the game seriously after that. I can't even do it!

Stand back, everyone, I'm proficient in /hwndu/

>GM introduces a lingering wounds chart. Basically if we get hit for over 50% of our health we take permanent effects, like muscle damage or some such
>Be a druid
>Be a bear
>Get hit by some fuck-you spell and lose exactly my bears health in hit points
>Gain massive scarring across my face
>Even though I reverted to my human form at full health with no wounds to speak of
>GM can't see how this is super fucking weird

Mid-high hundreds, not more than two grand, I'd say.

Ok, I got a question for ya guys.

Lizardfolk druid, say I turn into something with a bite attack, since that also has a bite attack, do I still have the ability to use my hungry jaws ability with my bite attack?

>defending onion druid

My dumbass players let Gundren get his head bashed in, how the hell can I damage control this?
Should I just lock them out of being able to be partners in the mine?

kek

Yeah... your DM is dumb

I ... hmm. Lemme check the PHB.

>checks the PHB

AHA!

"You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so. However, you can’t use any of your special senses, such as darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense."
>PHB 67

So, yes. You can still use Hungry Jaws.

I would rule it as a no

a perfect addition for a CoS campaign

alright then... how about the lizardfolk ac? I could understand if it was a bear and such and I couldn't, but what about if it was a dinosaur?

>if the new form is physically capable of doing so.
Lizardfolk AC comes from their hide and as a bear they no longer have that hide, so no.

You only get the AC from the animal form, that's the whole point.

As a dinosaur, yes. Lizardfolk's Natural Armor's only specification is "tough, scaly skin."

yeah that much wouldn't make sense, since taking a different form is changing your hide.

Incorrect. Per Crawford and the PHB, you retain any traits you have in humanoid form, provided your wildshape form has the necessary anatomy. A dragonborn druid wildshaped as a wolf can still use its breath attack, because a wolf is capable of "exhaling." Etc.

>Atleast we have the stats
Last thread someone form the discord dropped a link with all the images. He's scrubbing them of info the services stamp on them then he'll PDF them but if you wan the pictures are there

Its in the OP

One of my players who is gonna DM our next game so I can take a brake said he thought about using that. I told him no because it's just annoying and kinda shitty to just have randomly happen to a character. Then again our group isn't about that shit so that's the big reason.

What you think you should only have the scars when you are a bear?

Oh shit I didn't even read the OP

I think I shouldn't have any scars at all since I reverted to human form with full health. I literally was not hurt at all but somehow got massive scarring.

Whats ToA about?

What's a good strategy for the Iceshield Orcs to run without it being too bogged down? So far my plan is:
1. They all throw their javelins, then go back into the woods to hide and sharpen more javelins.
2. An hour later they return, half throw javelins, then charge. Next round, other half throws, then charges. After a few rounds, retreat, recuperate.
3. An hour or two later, all orcs rush, full assault. Retreat after a few rounds
4. Smokescreen, then assault again
5. Nighttime, Orcs sneak in and start a fire, then the rest attack while farmers are distracted
6. Help arrives, last encounter (unless all orcs were already killed)
I'm considering combining steps 3 and 4 into one step, but I'm not sure. And since this will obviously take a long time, I want to add some stuff in for roleplaying that will give the group other things to do instead of just making attack rolls. Any ideas/advice? Thanks in advance!

The Tomb of Annihilation

C-Team-tier adventurers get sent into the jungle as a last-ditch effort by a powerful wizard to find the cause of a terrible curse causing people who have been raised from the dead to fade away.

Jungle exploration adventure on a lost continent with dinosaurs, weird death cults, and crazy natives.

So do tortles not get an AC bonus even from magic items?

Can't wear armor, but they can wear bracers.

but what if it was specially designed armor?

>Turtle people
>Live 50 years average

I hear 5e has a good power cap and progression, true?

your average turtle lives to be about 80. Only in rare cases do they get to be over a hundred

It never made sense to me that humans in fantasy are some of the shortest living creatures when, in real life, they're one of the longest living.

Tomb of Horrors + Isle of Dread

>50 year lifespan
>30 ft speed
How can you fuck up this bad?

When would you use a straight STR check instead of an Athletics check.

Or a DEX check but not an Acrobatics one.

whats the new weapon called in ToA?

Yklwa. Simple melee weapon, 1d8 piercing, thrown 10/30.

Trying to crush something between your hands.

Trying to thread a needle

PHB page 175

If you include Volo's creatures humans are pretty middle-of-the-pack.
>Races that live longer than humans
Elves, Halflings, Gnomes, Half-Elves, Aasimar, Tritons, >Kobolds.
>Races that live more or less the same as humans
Tieflings, Goliaths, Tabaxi, Hobgoblins, Yuan-Ti
>Races that live less than humans
Dragonborn, Half-Orc, Tortles, Kenku, Lizardfolk, Bugbears, Goblins, Orc

>if you revert as a result of dropping to 0 hp any access damage carries over to your normal form.

Don't worry, elven chicks dig scars druidanon

>they don't have a class that will both use the STR and the natural armor that isn't some horrible joke build
...Fighters?

Awesome. Have the smokescreen be foggy nights. Let the players learn that on foggy nights the orcs like to use the fog to hide their approach. So when the players set up any ambush on the second night of fog, the next night the orcs start a fire. Damn these orcs are smart.

Dragonborn live about as long as humans actually

But that's the thing. There was no excess damage. I ended up at 100% of my human forms health.

Talk to your DM about this shit. Its a wonky line, because essentially you having onion druid skin means that you can take SO much more damage without ill effect.

The other side of things is that you are probably playing squishier things with lower hp/lower AC that are more or less intended to be used in such a way as meat bag throw aways, and making it so that those weak bodies can permanently cripple you disincentives you from doing anything but standing back and casting.

The fact is the DM thought it was right to punish you for taking damage. Regardless of whether it was in bear form or whatever. It was his ruling.
If you don't like it, take it up with him and stop trying to get acceptance from a Mongolian anonymous image board.

Humans are "less than a century," Dragonborn are 80. Sure, most humans don't reach just short of a century but kobolds rarely reach 120.

Oh ok, well would you object to at least one scar in this case?

Because the races that live longer are more magic. Aside from kobolds anyway, but dragon blood or not that always seemed stupid to me. Halflings is also kind of an odd case, but meh.

I've recently run into a problem:
Can a druide wildshape into a spider?
Not a giant spider, just a regular one?
In 3.5 there where size restrictions, but I can't seem to find any in 5e?

Yes, you can wildshape into a normal spider

You most certainly can, but I hope you're ready for the 3 ft/round movement speed.

I wouldn't count kobolds, hobgoblins, goblins, bugbears, kenku, or orcs, honestly. They're playable but they're still monsters, not civilized races.

Well, the original poster was talking about human life span in relation to living creatures, not civilized ones. In real life humans are by default the shortest and longest living civilized race.

Spiders get 20ft/round. Have you even seen a spider move?

Because its your ability to define yourself against reality.

>tortles don't live hundreds of years
wut