Genesys is a role playing system designed for flexibility and adaptability...

>Genesys is a role playing system designed for flexibility and adaptability, specifically tooled to work with any setting imaginable.
>The Genesys Core Rulebook not only contains an overview of the rules and how the innovative narrative dice system works, but everything a GM and players need to run adventures in five completely different settings. Everything from equipment to adversaries, character abilities to an overview of narrative tropes, all is provided in the core rulebook for Genesys.
>With a system so adaptable and expansive you can explore every popular roleplaying genre, from classic fantasy style campaigns, to modern day detective thrillers, and even to a far off sci-fi future, Genesys doesn’t fit into any one genre of roleplaying, and instead invites players to craft their own stories with unparalleled freedom.
Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/27/genesys/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Never heard of it, would not be surprised to never hear about it again.

They need to explain that its the star wars system but for any setting.

So is it any good?

give it WFRP's action cards and I'll be interested

>>Genesys is a role playing system designed for flexibility and adaptability, specifically tooled to work with any setting imaginable.
lol yeah sure ok

oh shit lol

Yes, more information beyond "generic system" would have been useful.

there's one interesting idea here, that there are two separate axes that you can accumulate positive or negative effects on. i'm not convinced that justifies six kinds of dice.

I mean if your system was just roll a pool of D6's, 5+ is a success and each 1 is a point of good fortune, you'd get basically the same results.

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/27/genesys/

Looking at it it'd be easy to assign numbers to the symbols

Similar results, but not mathematically identical. Having used the dice in the SW RPG, they're really intuitive and easy to adjudicate failing forward or succeeding with complications. The symbols cut down on time spent learning and resolving rolls, since static modifiers are rare. Really easy to GM, but lots of room for complexity to emerge over the course of play. They also make crafting and installing cyberware a way simpler and yet more interesting proposition with the stuff they've done with the splatbooks. The thing I'm most worried about is if they'll stick to having careers with skill trees, as I thought that was the weakest part of their system. I'd prefer something more freeform in terms of advancement, if I wanted to play Path of Exile I'd do that. Also, the custom dice are only like 15$, so I don't see the big deal, that's 3 Citadel paint pots.

The core SW version of the system has a page on it, there's even pic related for making your own with stickers.

The thing I like most about FFG's Star Wars RPG -- which this seems very closely based on -- is that in combat, one roll handles both attack and damage. There is no rolling a 19 on your attack, then rolling a 1 on damage.

I'm looking forward to this quite a bit. Th SWRPG system is the best version of cinematic style combat I've seen without being too narrative focus. I am excited to apply that core mechanic to other settings.

I'm already homebrewing a magic system to use in their modern setting. I've always been really dissatisfied with the modern fantasy settings on offer.

ive looked over it a few years back and i remember not liking what i read and not much else. never was a fan where a level up means : can carry 1 more grenade. level ups should be about techniques. ranking up in military status is the thing that should allow you to carry more grenade.

>ive looked over it a few years back
But it's not released yet?

I have a weird boner for generic systems. So I plan to eventually run a one shot of this, even if it means buying the dice for my players.

but I'll still wait to read the pdf before I dare purchase.

As cautiously implied, it is literally an RPG system for the lowliest normies. If you are too lazy to make up your own stuff or simply lack the talent/imagination for it, then this is your system. You just have to roll some dice and the game will play you just fine, holding your hand all the way until the grand finish. It is gonna be shit if you want, y'know, actually tell your story or have something that is more than dice-guided wackiness, but nobody compels you to play this system.

>being this much of a sperglord
>hurr too lazy to make up your own stuff
Currently writing a Gundam setting hack for it/FFG Star Wars, where is your god now faggot?

...The fuck are you talking about, FFG Star Wars never worked like this

Writing a C&C Tiberium Universe conversion for the system, thank you for asking.

I'm not saying that it is a bad system, only that it is not for anyone, and unlike what it tries to achieve, it is kinda niche with what it does (and especially how it does it).

>C&C TTRPG
Kane lives!

Coulda said that with the "hurr normies" Virt-tier shitposting there bucko.
I find the best way to run games like this is to be ready to improvise at every turn. If I wanted a fixed story then fuck it, I'd do Nanowrimo or some shit.

Got a preview of that, user? I'm interested; not huge into C&C but I know a ton of people who are.

can you give us an idea of how skills and charagen may look for the system. I know the dice and the website explained how checks are made, but Id like to see examples of skills.

Sorry, but that's literally my opinion on the system: it is the TTRPG for normies.

Chargen and skills are surprisingly average, with a few oddities to keep you on the edge (Initiative is a Skill, for example). There isn't a lot of diversity in there, expect cookie-cutting, but it gets better later as the characters progress on their talent trees.

skillwise I meant more on the mechanics. do skills add or subtract dice from rolls instead of giving flat bonus?

>literally an RPG system for the lowliest normies

If Warhammer 3rd edition was an indicator, 'normies' are going to choke up when it comes to figuring out what a success with threats or a failure with boons looks like.

The way the dice are set up, just about every single roll is conflicted, either failing with advantage or succeeding with threat, because if you failed to get success it's because you got advantage on your good dice instead of success and vice-versa. This makes it way too frequent. The player and the GM quickly run out of ways to make it make sense, especially when rolling outside of combat.

It's Star Wars but generic, so it will be good.

What I am looking forward to is the setting books they might put out. They have Android for some rad cyberpunk. Twilight Imperium for crazy space opera. There is the Descent/Runebound setting for some standard high fantasy. And you of course have a multitude of licensed properties that they could take advantage of. And I am sure that I am forgetting a bunch of good ones.

It is more complicated than that...
> A character's skill training and the associated attribute are equally important in building a dice pool. When a task is attempted, the GM determines which skill is most appropriate. The skill used determines which attribute is used. For example, if the character is attempting to bypass a security terminal by hacking its alarm system, the skill check would use the Computers skill, which is linked to the Smarts attribute. The ratings for these two attributes determine the number of Ability and Proficiency dice that are added to the dice pool.
> A player can start building the dice pool once the proper skill and attribute are determined. To add dice to the pool, the player compares the PC's ranks of skill training to the linked attribute's rating.
> The higher of the two values determines how many Ability dice are added to the skill check's dice pool. Then the player upgrades a number of those Ability dice equal to the lower of the two values. If a character is unskilled (possesses no ranks) in the necessary skill, then zero is automatically the lower value and the character will rely solely on the appropriate attribute. (This also applies if the character has a zero in the corresponding attribute; however, in practice, it's almost impossible for a character to have a zero in an attribute.)
> Upgrading dice is a mechanic specific to Ability dice and Difficulty dice, and these are the only two types of dice that can be upgraded. When an Ability die is upgraded, it is converted into a Proficiency die. When a Difficulty die is upgraded, it is converted into a Challenge die.

SW (and thus I guess Genesys too) has handy tables to resolve the special symbols.

They are going to ruin the L5R rpg with this garbage. Fuck snowflake dice, fuck them in their shitty asses.

As a DM I am very sick of trying to guess Difficulty levels for actions, in this case it would be how many penalty dies to roll against. This looks like the same hassle where how many black and purple dice is fair to roll against? Is there some big chart or is it the same "DM determines" thing I gotta worry about.

One reason I warmed to the Apocalypse World is that it's always the same DCs for succeding.

It's literally the FFG Star Wars system but generic. It'll have Netrunner and L5R splatbooks as well as a bunch of 'generic' stuff and possibly other IPs they have their hands on

The FFG system is currently well known as a great system that tries hard to squeeze every fucking penny out of you. The properitary dice are simultaneously a great idea and a cash grab

can this board fuck off with using 'snow flake' as a meaningless catch-all pejorative.

Snowflake literally just means "special", they are special dice.

The meaningless catch-all pejorative is "autistic"

So if I'm reading this right:
You've got a skill (say 2) and the attribute it uses (say 4), which would give you a dice pool of 2 regular and 2 proficiency dice? (they're the bigger, yellow ones, right?)

Exactly!

If by "normies" you mean people who don't want to fuck around with rolling under for one thing, over for another thing and then rolling percentiles for something else then sure, it's for "normies".

Sorry, I just cracked open the 2e PHB in an argument over Spelljammer and holy fucking shit am I glad we've moved on in terms of mechanics.

>Snowflake literally just means "special", they are special dice.
And there's nothing wrong with them in a game system. If it's the price you bitch about, maybe hold off on your bags of chips or hundreds of space marines or anime comics for a while and you can afford them just fine. Or, just do a fucking conversion like

Sounds like the tall/wide dice system from Reign but with fancy dice.

People need to stop making generic setting systems and play in under 10 minute systems. There are enough of those already.

>people need to stop making things I don't like
What the fuck is so bad about a system you can play in under ten minutes? Is spending a week sperging out over optimising your character that important to you?

One complaint I did hear about the system (from a fan) was that it's generally more useful to have simply a bigger pool than more Proficiency (which is alleged to be better in the book)

Also I think 's point might have some merit, if EVERYTHING is coming out as "you do well but with a bit of bad" and "you do poorly, but some good comes of it"

Though I guess that depends on the opposed dice

That hasn't been my experience actually, so long as you are challenging your players with commensurate difficulty to their skills.

Look I can tell that you are sperging out now and trying to project your behaviorisms on other people. I know it's not going to help to further explain it to you because of your current state of mind. However there is a chance that you will calm down tomorrow or other people might be curious what's "bad" about such systems.

There is nothing bad about games. There are many games of varied complexity and they're all enjoyable, so there isn't a universal scale of complexity where one end is always stereotypical good or bad.

The problem with simple systems is that they're simple. Given the numeric nature of games there are only a certain number of systems you can design until you have every single mechanical permutation.

At the rate simplified games are pooped out each year we can conclude that most if not all are either functionally equivalent to another system or a subset of another system.

In conclusion you could just play an existing game. Like playing the original monopoly instead of buying a new monopoly where the properties are all household appliance stores.

>calm down and stop spergin'
Says the man that thinks a system that hasn't got any competitors quite like it is a sign of simplified systems merging into one another.
Look at Fate compared to Genesys, or any Powered by the Apocalypse game. All three have different base mechanics, different approaches to dealing with task resolution, and so on.

I personally think that simulationism is the sign of a bad game, due to it adding needless complexity and being obsolete when pretty much anyone can create a computer program that does much the same thing faster and more enjoyably. While this is my opinion, it does seem to be one shared by the RPG market at present.

Dice rolling is an absolute clusterfuck in this system unless you use the tables and wave away the results with crunch (the system is pretty fookin crunchy anyways). It obviously defeats the whole purpose of having special dice, but there you have it. Don't put much thought into it, and it won't hurt.

It's nice and all, but when I already know and run GURPS and FATE games, why? Special dice aren't actually a reason to play a game on it's own, it has to be backed by a good system.

As someone who played FFG Star Wars since EotE hit, it is a good system.
>GURPS is a steaming pile of goat anuses for the autistic to pick through
>FATE is largely unstructured and focuses more on narrative than, say, gear
>neither really do much in the event of a failed check, while the dice system here can have very non-binary results like missing a swing in a duel but managing to slap the sword from your opponent's hands

Edge of the Empire that this is the core system of is a decent narrative system, it's just not as good as Cypher system. A lot of people hate the dice, but you can use the app or a website to do your rolls for you so those people are just whiners.

shit, my bad i was talking about another rpg with a samish name, with fungal mutants and post apocalypse european civilization. the power of the swiss faction is hiding in a mountain and having pre apocalypse tech.

>not as good as Cypher
>Cypher system
>good

Love the system and looking forward to the generic release. Actually played a SW game a few nights back, most of the group was new to the system and loved it.

Also working on a Stargate setting for the system, and Im running Genesys General threads here and there.

Didn't realize people who think Cypher system is bad were able to turn on computers. You must be a high-functioning wombat.

Not that hard to figure out. Each degree of difficulty comes with an associated word-- this is a barometer for how difficult that is for a normal person (aka, not the PC's).

1 Purple = East
2 Purple = Average
3 Purple = Hard
4 Purple = Daunting

Don't be stingy with the black dice, though: just think through the scenario, and if any part of it seems like it is working against the PC toss a black one in. Same with blue ones. They only represent a 50% chance to add either a Success/Failure or Advantage/Threat so you aren't fucking math. Moreover, PCs frequently have talents which let them add blues or ignore blacks.

>Okay, the PC is trying to hotwire a speeder with which they are unfamiliar. That sounds pretty Hard so that's three purple. And they're currently being shot at, which is a distraction, so that's a black die. But they do have their mechanic buddy on the earpiece trying to talk them through it, so that's a blue die.

Bam. Done. Eyeball it and go. Worst case scenario use one of the charts on any of the many reference sheets/DM screens out there for the system.

Monte Cock Cannibal Cook please stop shilling your system.

>Edge of the Empire that this is the core system of is a decent narrative system

The special dice system is roughly as narrative as D&D 5. Maybe less, depending on whether you use those tables or not.

>whether you use those tables or not.
That is the thing, no need to consult tables. You just look at the dice, relate it to the story, and come up with a plausible narrative effect.

5e isn't narrative at all, and the special dice have nothing to do with making a system narrative or not. The biggest and most obvious hint that a system isn't narrative is that you track ammo in 5e because every roll is an attack and a round is 6 seconds where as in narrative games like Cypher and Genesys a round is however long you want it to be but probably a minute and you don't track ammo because an attack roll is abstract and just represents how effective you were over the course of that time.

Yes, you can work against the system, throw out or ignore a lot of rules and play a narrative game and pretend it's 5E, just as you can reduce abstractions, add rules and limit player freedom to turn narrative games like Genesys or Cypher into hack and slash like 5E, but again, at that point you aren't really playing those games.

Is freeform purely narrative?

It's a bit like that but it scales better without the weirdness of looking for matching sets.

No, freeform is pure rules-light. You could have a fairly simulationist freeform game if everyone in the group was on-board with keeping track of character abilities, making sure things were internally consistent, and not having asspulls or characters/events come out of nowhere.