How do I play Lawful Good without being a stick in the mud or a goody two shoes?

How do I play Lawful Good without being a stick in the mud or a goody two shoes?

srsly user?

use the original Gygaxian definition of the alignment

user srsly?

user

>not a goody two shoes
user, pls.

srsly?

>implying it's possible to replicate Mr. Rogers

The kind that hasn't been relevant since 1985?

It's possible to try.

That perfection is unattainable is no reason not to strive for it.

Here's the thing about actual good. It's really all about moderation and balance between many different kinds of good.

Basically, being good is all about not being tha/tg/uy.

Let's take the virtues, here, and break them down:

Temperance: Moderate your input of fun and take care of yourself. Don't be the dude that gets drunk in public and kills the town guards because the tavern wenches didn't put out.

Charity: Give to others when they need it so you can expect to be taken care of yourself when you need it. Don't be the dickass thief that steals from the party. Be the bro that loans another player the dosh to buy a cool new item if you have it spare. You don't have to bankrupt yourself, just be helpful to others.

Patience: Don't pull a Leeroy Jenkins because all the evil has to be destroyed now. Have the patience to make plans to smite all the evil effectively.

Diligence: Doing good sometimes is worthless, it's consistency that makes you good. Any jackass can go stab a dozen people and be a saint to a dozen others - they're still evil, they're just selective in who they do evil to. Ya gotta uphold all the good, and keep upholding it all the time.

Kindness: Don't be a dick when you don't need to be. As a fighter of evil you cannot be nice all the time, but you should try to take the best view of those that have done wrong and show mercy where appropriate. Be good to people when you don't have to. Buy the pizza that week.

Chastity: Don't invite other players to your magical realm and don't lose yourself to overindulgence. Don't be the guy that eats all the pizza, don't be the guy that brings in the piss forest.

Humility: Humility is most important of all. It's not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less. Focus on the needs of others. By acting righteously you bring justice for those crying for justice, mercy for those forced into evil, and smart, measured punishment or eradication of evil.

Good is cool when played smart.

Superman is Neutral Good.

Superman can probably be reasonably represents as any Good alignment. But I like him best as Lawful Good.

I respect that, but I definitely see him as more Neutral Good.

thread over

fpbp

In other words, Optimus Prime.

Can an assassin be lawful good if he's a bounty hunter and goes strictly by the books?

Yes. He can also be neutral, chaotic, or evil.

Play with a party where the other characters aren't evil, turn a blind eye to the Chaotic Good types doing legally dodgy but righteous things because you believe in them.

>Chastity
That said, there's no reason that you shouldn't be able to pass out Lawful Hot Dickings in the proper context.

Judge Anderson, and to a lesser extent Judge Dredd (more Lawful Neutral) could function within the Assassin archetype.

-Love, /co/

First step, get a DM who's not a "dick over the paladin cause I hate LG."

Depends on your understanding of LG. And you're DM's. If you play in a world where justice and honor are rewarded, it's easy. However, if you're in a grimderp "the only heroes are gritty antiheros," it's harder.

BE a stick in the mud! BE fettered by your strong beliefs! Just don't hold the party back from doing what they need to do unless what they're doing is clearly and incredibly evil. Like, if the party decides to kill an incapacitated enemy who has no chance of escaping, refuse to watch out of principle, but be nearby to help in case something goes wrong.

> it's an alignment is prescriptive and not descriptive episode

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."

I think Judge Dredd is

L A W F U L
A
W
F
U
L

, and that any other attribute is so secondary as to be irrelevant.

That GM sucks at moral dilemmas.

user srysl

Sam Vimes?

For a minute I thought you were talking about father Alexander Anderson.

Sam Vimes.

By not being a goody two shoes or a stick in the mud.

WOW!

IF ANYONE DOES NOT LOVE OUR LORD

Modern is pretty NG. Silver Age was LG.
Golden Age was CG. He was also the most PClike iteration of the character. I can absolutely see a group of well intentioned murderhobos stopping the execution of an innocent man by breaking into the Govenor's house.
Or wrecking a tenement to force the government to rebuild it as if it were a natural disaster.
Or decking an abusive spouse through a wall.

I don't know, he could have set them up so a clever user would find the 3rd choice, letting him redeem the blackguard in the end just as planned

At least one of that party was chaotic good user

So ,have a huge power gap with everybody in the party?Yeah,I guess it's the only way LG could work.

>hurr durr I'm a big retard, watch me shit up this thread by willfully interpreting things in their most negative view. Aren't I clever?

Hello, Aristotle. I approve.

By being lenient when it comes down to it. You can be an example for what you stand for, not a police officer. If it's legal within your reasoning, then it should be fine, but if the chaotic guy wants to slaughter goblins, stop him and give him a chance to let the goblins go. If the goblins are still being dicks, then you gave them a chance and they squandered it so... so be it.

Lawful doesn't mean 'I don't kill', it means you stand for something. Captain America stands for the American way and is a devout Christian, wanted to fight for America in the army, and watches his words and tries to be polite.

But he still shoots Nazis in the face because they are Nazis.

Stick to "The Rules" and do right. If you don't want to be a wet blanket, then you'd better pick "The Rules" carefully and not have too many.

One way you might make life easier is to view money as a grubby concept and beneath your dignity, that way you can wash your hands of your parties fiscal improprieties.