Can you fit the Nonstandard Hybrids?

We all know D&D's classic halfbreeds, the half-elf and the half-orc. Yet, they're not the only ones. Across the editions and the settings, we've seen many different hybrids, from half-dwarves and half-gnomes to elf-orcs, dwarf-orcs, and elf-halflings.

So, I wanted to know; can you envision ways to fit half-breeds and crossbreeds who aren't the standard human/elf and human/orc mix into your campaign?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KxHRA3k5-_U
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it's legitimate theme for particular kind of ERP

I refluffed half-orcs as pigmen, who were created by fiends to rape and pillage the world, able to propagate their race only by mating with females of other races, since they were a male-only race. However they would go on to be defeated and demoralized and forced to live a common farming life. Their raider nature lives on as their tendency to join mercenary bands that allow them to build up a foundation of wealth that lets them provide an impressive dowry for their wife's father.

You make them sterile or have low fertility so they are rare and uncommon. In exchange, they get advantages like being smarter and stronger than both parents or something. Like mules. Some kingdoms may even force slaves to breed sterile, but superior off-spring for specific tasks.

I don't run any as hybrids.

Most half-things are out of my setting. Half-elves can happen only through magic, and elves are so isolationist that none would have children with a human, even less with other races. Half-orcs exist because orcs were made from humans, but they're present only in orc society.
Aasimar, tieflings and other such hybrids are a thing, thoguh rare, but not because "my father fucked a succubus/angel" reasons. Mortals can be affected by the essence and energies from other planes and their native creatures, sometimes said energies permeate their bodies and can be transmited to their offspring. A bit like how sorcerers work.
Other kinds of hybrids can exist because a wizard did it, I guess.

Do you ever have any that get disadvantages of both? Just shit on by life in general?

sometimes you wouldn't believe what species can be cross-compatible

>can you envision ways to fit half-breeds and crossbreeds who aren't the standard human/elf and human/orc mix into your campaign?
Short yes
Long, yes of course, because I have AN IMAGINATION

the misfits that don't benefit from hybrid vigor tend to just die in the womb

not all hybrids that are theoretically compatible work, so there's always a certain degree of (natural) selection bias

l-lewd

You mean like Centaurs?

Half dwarves show up in one setting in D&D and are sterile. I have never seen any of the other bullshit half breeds that reek of stupid bullshit done for stupid bullshit reasons.

And just to forestall any other idiocy, tieflings, aasimar, and the elementally aligned planetouched ARE NOT HALF BREEDS. They are a quarter at best, and sometimes not even descended from anything that bred with an ancestor but merely a genetic freak who absorbed too much elemental energy during gestation.

A shitty chart whose only usefulness is in seeing just how fucking terrible the authors homebrew world is and that they can't put a decent chart together to save their lives. It actually goes against several parts of 3.5 RAW, like lizardfolk and nymphs not being compatible despite nymphs being fey and having no proscriptions towards lizardfolk. Or making satyrs, pixies, sprites, and nymphs all separate entries despite them all being Fey and being compatible with all living creatures.

I like it when there are no hybrids.
If one parent is human then progeny will be the race of other parent's race

...Seriously, you lot are the most boring bunch I've ever met. I expected a few "Humans Only!" shitposters, but seriously, this is just depressing.

Absolutely none of you have the freaking imagination to see drow and/or dragons crossbreeding humans and dwarves to make the ultimate slave race, only to lose control of their creations? Or drow men banging orc women because it's safer than banging their own women, only to inadvertently breed a race of smarter, sleeker, deadlier orc-kin out of it?

Depressing, that's what it is. Looks like those stories bout all the HFY threads screwing up Veeky Forums re true.

Wrong; dwarves were able to crossbreed with humans, gnomes and halflings in 2nd edition's "Complete Book of Dwarves" and "Dwarves Deep", the results were just considered to be functionally identical to dwarves.

Meanwhile, Dragonlance had fully functional half-dwarves, half-goblins, and half-gnomes.

And Kingdoms of Kalamar had half-dwarves, half-gnomes, elf-orcs called Tel-amhothlans, half-gnolls, half-goblins, half-hobgoblins, and half-githyanki.

My setting has things like "half-ghosts," "half-demons" and the like, but because such spirits are not actually biological creatures these people come about when two humans (or other mortals) have kids while one of them is possessed by a spirit.

Basically, do it like how humans mixed races in the past.

Treat gameplay races like human races and make them all able to bear children with eachother, and you can just transfer real life races over to a game. Make one race enslave another race one way or another, you could have it so that two kingdoms intermarried and then decided to merge into one eternal kingdom, or even have a Spanish Empire feel going on

A fun way to do it would to have a game in an apartheid society, where the Elves are at the top and whatever combination of other races are in the lower class.
This leads to eventual miscegenation of all sorts. Those kinds of half-breeds aren't cared about at all since they're all essentially the same class.
But then you'd be able to make a character that's a half-elf breed and then have instant conflict right there

Really you're able to do whatever you want with race in your campaign so long as you make them actual races. Racial tension has existed since the dawn of tribalism, so use it as a theme

nu/tg/ isn't allowed to have creativity or fun on the board. Why do you think they worked so hard to get anything that might be fun or imaginative off the board? It wasn't HFY, it was the general hate for people having badwrongfun.

>elf-halflings
youtube.com/watch?v=KxHRA3k5-_U