Hey Veeky Forums

New_Cliche
New_Cliche

Hey Veeky Forums

Have you ever played/ran a game where the final reward was friendship?

All urls found in this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cw7aAFS5oc
Crazy_Nice
Crazy_Nice

@New_Cliche

The whole point of that video was literally that it WASN'T friendship, if they pushed on a little longer, they would have found the treasure behind the mirror.

Boy_vs_Girl
Boy_vs_Girl

Sadly, no. That's usually the first thing the PCs try to pawn off for a little extra bit of gold.

TurtleCat
TurtleCat

@New_Cliche
I'm running MonsterHearts, if the players know what they're doing they will be trying for friendship wherever possible

whereismyname
whereismyname

@Crazy_Nice
The way I see it, friendship was just as good of a reward as all that gold

SniperWish
SniperWish

@Crazy_Nice
What video?

Nojokur
Nojokur

@New_Cliche
Isn't every game you play one with the reward of friendship? Do you not play with friends?

Raving_Cute
Raving_Cute

@Crazy_Nice
The whole point of the video was that the treasure was not as important as the frienship and the self-actualization, user. The credits scene is just there for a final gag.

idontknow
idontknow

@Nojokur
Right in the feels. All the time I've wasted playing for strategy and design when the real reason to play was sitting beside me all along.

@Raving_Cute
This desu

TurtleCat
TurtleCat

@Nojokur
@idontknow
This thread gets my unofficial seal of comfy, an accolade only fit for the comfiest of threads.

Fried_Sushi
Fried_Sushi

@Raving_Cute
Yeah well, who cares about their friendship? Some better hero will get the treasure.
The final scene isn't about friendship but more of a journey mattering more than the destination thing and what matters the most after a quest isn't whether you reach your objective, but how you come out of it

Burnblaze
Burnblaze

@Fried_Sushi
Who cares about the friendship?
The friends do, user. And that's enough.

CouchChiller
CouchChiller

@New_Cliche
Fucking hell I love these

@SniperWish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cw7aAFS5oc

Watch. Now.
Nine minutes.
Worth it.

Supergrass
Supergrass

@New_Cliche
It was for a character I played.
He got over his bigotry and wound up sacrificing himself for the group later as an NPC when I ran the next campaign.

Feels were had.

Nojokur
Nojokur

Here's something of a similar theme.

askme
askme

@New_Cliche
I can't sustain friendship in person due to how my brain works, much less in a game, so no, sadly. Fuck mental diseases, they're pretty bad.

Flameblow
Flameblow

@askme
Get off this board for social games then

Emberfire
Emberfire

@Flameblow
He's allowed to dream, user.

Carnalpleasure
Carnalpleasure

Sort of.

When the campaign started, we were a disparate bunch of renegades, you know the type, but we each had "a particular set of skills" that made us a viable team. My character was brought on for two purposes- first, he was an outstanding engineer and spellcaster, capable of outfitting any team he was in with the magic and mechanical gear they would need to succeed. Second, he was the owner of a charter that allowed him to legally operate as a mercenary captain in any of the kingdoms of the realm, and therefore he could recruit and employ others under this charter. Basically, he had a license to murderhobo, and he could share it with the rest of the party.
The campaign was one of our best ones, and over the years it played out, our group of cold-hearted killers and cynical opportunists had actually become a team, or dare I say, a company, a band of brothers who would roll deep when the going got tough. As the story wound down, we completed our quest, got our fat payout, and were at a crossroads, ready to go our separate ways when someone spoke up.
"You know that guy who hired us has been playing us the whole time. He's going to use all the things we've gathered to try and do the 'ultimate power, rule the world thing.' They always do."
"Yeah, but a contract's a contract. It's not really our business anymore."
"But what if he succeeds? You want to live in a world where a guy like that's in charge?"
"Well, no, but can we really do anything about it?"
"Maybe. Nobody else can. What do you think, Captain?'
Everyone was looking at me, waiting to see what my character would say. I mulled it over. See, when we set out, my character had wanted to make a fortune and go all Count of Monte Cristo on those who had wronged him. As I thought about it, I realized that things had changed- I had what I had really wanted all along, a real crew who stuck together through it all.
"Lock and load, boys," I said. "We already got paid, maybe we can get a bounty for him."

happy_sad
happy_sad

@likme
start.
Yes! YEES! Welcome to Exalted, this is where your life starts!

farquit
farquit

@happy_sad
Christ no, he seems like an actual interesting character, he deserve a game that won't implode on the second combat round.
...Oh, you're playing 3e? My mistake...Implode on the first combat round.

LuckyDusty
LuckyDusty

Every game I play seems to have the opposite effect. I lose friends ;_;

I don't know what I do

AwesomeTucker
AwesomeTucker

@New_Cliche
I think we called it "High school" or something.

Boy_vs_Girl
Boy_vs_Girl

Heck no.

takes2long
takes2long

How would someone actually run this without pissing off the players?

Firespawn
Firespawn

@takes2long
If you are playing with fucks who can't rp a relationship, give friendship a mechanical benefit. Maybe use it as a currency or a bonus to skill checks. A lot of other games have good roleplay bonuses the dm can fling around, just take those and make them way more important.

Playboyize
Playboyize

@takes2long
Well, I mean, the rewards for playing these games is generally in your head anyway...

Harmless_Venom
Harmless_Venom

@New_Cliche

No but i would really want to because my friends both in game and outside are backstabbing assholes.

RumChicken
RumChicken

I don't think I really know first hand what a genuine truthful friendship is like, and I don't know if I can accurately play a character with such a thing.

StrangeWizard
StrangeWizard

@Flameblow
You're an asshole

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page