Bow of the Prophet: Oriental Warhammer

Last thread >Continuing our work from last thread about creating an alternate WFB (and possibly 40K, at some point) setting focusing on oriental, rather than European cultures. Featuring:

>Empire based on fantastic Turkey, rather than Germany
>Lizardmen replaced with a kingdom of mysterious monkeymen from the jungles of not!India
>African beastmen
>Authentic Hungarian vampire voivodes
>A THOUSAND ELEPHANTS

Opening topic: depiction of dwarfs - mystical jewgnomes, African trickster spirits, Turkish goatmen or something inbetween?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_archery
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I like the idea of dwarves as a diasporic Fantasy Jewish underclass simultaneously relied on and loathed by every other culture/race. That seems like a fun angle to work with.

Rather than mechanisation and gunpowder, their battle arts could be themed around animate clay and golems?

That'd also fit if we go with the idea of giving the 40K setting's Mechanicus expies a Jewish angle, where robots are called "golems". The Mechanicus always had a bit of a dwarfy side to them.

Did we decide what's happening with Skaven?

I don't think they ever got much attention beyond the first post, which said they were replaced with shapeshifting snakepeople infiltrating society (presumably to balance out the lizardmen becoming a race of mammalian monkeys)

>Rather than mechanisation and gunpowder

From what I gather, the Jews, the Franks and the Gipsies were the main sources of foundry skills and gunpowder production of the time...

Huh. Well, they can have both, then.

They produced it, but I'm not sure to what extant they used it themselves an masse. Not having their own armies might've had something to do with it, though.

Speaking of which, how's it going to work in this setting? Do the dwarfs have their own kingdoms, but they're relatively small and weak, so the emphasis remains on the dwarfs as an underclass that has to live among imperial humans? Or do they have no kingdoms and all and onnly inhabit ghettos, in which case it'd be difficult to explain how they have armies?

Ya niggas realize that shapeshifting female Ghouls are a thing in 1001 nights?

Also
>bow
>i... it's not like the prophet had a specific and very weird sword associated with him and it's not like the Turks collected swords associated with the prophet
>also Arabs were not an archery culture, so lol bow of the prophet.

Yeah, the general level of casual, passing knowledge in these threads is really, really really low.

The biggest difference in this regard, I think, will be that those dwarfs wouldn't shy away from using magic. Like the rune obsessed dwarfs, Jewish mysticism repeatedly emphasizes the power of letters and numbers, and the Jewish equivalent of a wizard, the "Ba'al Shem", is literally named after their practice of invoking power by writing down the true names of angels (the expression means "Master of Names"). While Jewish law does generally abhor the use of magic, it also allows for it under certain circumstances - namely, if it is used by a righteous person for a noble purpose, and not if there's a mundane alternative. In my mind, this meshes well with the WHFB depiction of dwarfs, who seem to be less worried about magic in general than about it being used irresponsibly, hence their reliance on runes.

(As a sidenote, famous Sephardi rabbi/astronomer/mathematician/lawmaker/linguist/doctor Maimonides once noted that if the results of magic could be replicated and proven then it should be regarded as a science, and treated as such)

>confuses Arab culture with native Turkish steppe culture
>calls others out for a low level of general knowledge

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you didn't read the previous thread, rather than that you're simply ignorant and clueless.

>native Turkish steppe culture
Are you really surprised nobody knows anything about it?

Maybe so, but user was getting angry we were misrepresenting Arab culture, whereas the last thread made clear that the bow thing was taken from the native Turks (just like Sigmar is a bit of an odd Jesus replacement due to being a native not-German rather than a Semite, it's only fitting this Empire's "Prophet" be a native not-Turk rather than an Arab)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_archery

The Ottomans were all over bows, you moron. Disregarding the fact that the eponymous bow refers to far earlier steppe nomads, of course.

Who cares? We've already did a lot of alterations to other nations.

*done

So who are the Brettonians in this version? Persians? Greco-Bactrian Buddhists on the quest for personal enlightment? Sikhs?

This is still up to debate. The last OP said Persians (with ELEPHANTS), but I do like the idea of making them more Greek-ish. The only problem is that I'm not entirely sure how much independence as a culture Greek had at the day (of course, if we go with a true Bretonnian equivalent, there's nothing to say this version of Greece couldn't inexplicably be an idealized bronze age with some vague excuse about how Athena protects their brave hoplites from gunpowder)

An alternative could be to make THEM the anachronistic Carthaginian expies, which would both give them elephants and put them right in the way of the African beastmen hordes.

Buddhist warrior monks as the knights, with those who seek to learn from them and join them as the peasants?
Yeah, I'm down for this. Writing magic names rather than crafting magic runes seems pretty appropriate.

>Maimonides once noted that if the results of magic could be replicated and proven then it should be regarded as a science, and treated as such
Maimonides was pretty badass. He also said that because God created the universe, and science is man's means of understanding the universe, it should be regarded as a holy work rather than antithetical to religion. Scientists advance our understanding of God (and it is the duty of the faithful Jew to advance science)

so why the heck are you trying to do an ottoman WH that completely drops Islam? Not saying that the ottoman ruling families didn't retain and continuously adapt culturally distinct steppe-practices, but their public and legal face at least was an islamic one.

So at least humor that and take a hint from Shia ideas concerning multiple prophets being incarnated until the final one appears for the final doomsday battle of good vs evil... because that would fit with WH somewhat.

Not dropping Islam, just using a religion that's to Islam what Sigmarism is to Christianity (it's already been noted that this Empire, like WHFB's, is technically pagan, and that the Prophet is just the most popular subject of worship)

Bit of a radical idea, but hear me out: what if our equivalent to China or Japan was the ____Tau___, with the _Ethereals_ as the equivalent to the divine emperor and family? Basically "what if the Tau were in WHFB", really.

They don't really fit the theme.

Plus, the Tau of the 40K version have been described as a hypercapitalistic mirror image (explicitly compared to the Ferengi), so I'm not sure if this would be the best equivalent. I'm all for giving Cathay more screentime, but not as Tau. Some other race? Or just another nation of humans?

>African beastmen
Still weird as fuck. I mean there were and are fitting cults there. It's just geographically meh in regards to a mediterranean civ.
Feels kinda like totally not aztecs next to totally not inuit. Something in between seems missing.

>persia
Kislev, whenever the nomad relatives try to fuck shit up, it hits them first.

Makes sense. And they have their special fire magic from Ahura Mazda.

Wouldn't Kislev just be Kislev in this setting?

>not-Europe receives about as much attention as Araby does in WFB: it's mostly a place you trade with and the lore mentions you might've invaded at one point.
I think you guys have already said it's out of picture and exists as a write up somewhere else in the world? At the same time Persia fits being historical neighbor and I find the idea of replacing super special ice magic with super special fire magic kinda funny.

>Oriental Warhamme
>>Empire based on fantastic Turkey, rather than Germany
Disgusting

I mean, the lizardmen do border the dark elves...

To add to that Chaos warriors are now not!Mongols who split up after the first Everkhan died into 8 Hordes named after the winds of magic. There is The Golden Horde (Chamon), Blue Horde (Azyr), White Horde (Hysh), Grey Horde (Ulgu), Green Horde (Ghyran), Red Horde (Aqshy), Amethyst Horde (Shyish) and Amber Horde (Ghur). Some of them control territories in the Old World while others roam the New World exclusively until the Everkhan calls them all together.

And not!Mongols worship the Great Sky Undivided

Wasn't Chaos slave raiding, human sacrifing West Africans or something (I thought it'd be cool if their names for the chaos gods, following the Norsca pattern, would be something like "The Jackal", "The Snake", "The Vulture" and "The Leopard")

>not making their name of Nurgle "The Hynea"
>The animal which is known for being filthy, eating corpses and laughing loudly all the time

Maybe dwarfs could be Korean, and extending on this, have elves be Chinese?
It would make sense
>Koreans
>Drink a lot
>Isolate themselves in their elusive hermit kingdoms
>Quick to anger
>Quick to start fighting
>Got that upon by everyone around them
>Super proud of what they have, and will brook no disagreements about it
>Prefer themselves for company
>Funny hats

>Chinese
>Far away nation others trade with but seldom see.
>Rare to find anyone that even knows what their kingdom looks l looks like
>Makes use of friendly dragons
>Tenuous relationship with monkeys after Sun Wukong
>Advanced knowledge they refuse to share with anyone
>Nation is locked in a stagnant state because ruling philosophers believe they don't need to learn anything new and should just keep to themselves as much as possible
>Funny hats

>Wasn't Chaos slave raiding, human sacrifing West Africans
Wasn't West Africans selling slaves to muslims rather than raiding them?

Elves were replaced with Nordic frost/fire/mountain giants, due to what I can only assume is some kind of evolved meme from the birth of the concept. I do like the concept of Sephardi dwarfs from above but Korea really doesn't get enough attention from miniature games, so I'm all for a Korean style army. Bear people? Fox people? What animal did the Koreans adore? (I remember something about them believing they are descended from a divine bear)

You know, everyone will stone me as a furry for saying this, but making the Cathayans fox people doesn't strike me as such an awful idea, if you really insist on them not just being human. Fox people is like the one folktale that virtually every single East Asian culture has.

>Korea really doesn't get enough attention from miniature games, so I'm all for a Korean style army. Bear people? Fox people?
How about Korean halflings? They live within the Empire and are well-known as great cooks.

Did Koreans live in the Ottoman empire?

Why does it bother you so much? I'd like to keep both Sephardi dwarves and Koreans somehow.

Then make the Korean halflings part of Cathay.

Halflings are part of the Empire in WHFB. Now you have Korea as a small somewhat autonomous part of the Empire with great cuisine (it's a bit spicy and some people don't like all the fermented stuff but it's great).

Yeah, but the cultural distinction is a bit too heavy. If Cathay really is going to be that much of a bigger part of this setting, I don't think there's harm in making the halflings part of that Empire instead and getting the best of both worlds. It'll also give them more of a character, maybe enough to count as their own army (and shamanism based magic)

>If Cathay really is going to be that much of a bigger part of this setting
Well, we are very far from it. Almost as much as GW from fleshing out Cathay and its Dragon-Emperor.

Nobody's stopping us. Let's give it some thought. The first question, I think, is whether Cathay needs to be a human empire or something else.

I'm not against fox country but it looks like fluffy tail overload.

I'm rather against it. It really doesn't feel like Warhammer anymore. Man eating fox girls are totally good, but let's not make a country of them.

Why not instead make them the Tomb Kings Equivalent? Drawing from real Chinese history for inspiration here so some names are just getting pulled from history books
>Emperor Qin was the first emperor to unite the warring kingdoms of the Far east, forming the nation Cathay
>Qin feared death to such a degree he sought answers from all across the World to extend his life.
>His answers came from a shadowy group of strange beings that towered over all his other courtiers.
>Learned secrets of Unlife, became the first necromancer in the world
>Used power of necromancy to deny death to all in Cathay, ensuring even the dead continue to serve.

Basically Cathay is not Chinese mummies and skeletons, with Emperor Qin as notNagash.

Kislev is where the slave warriors come from.

Damn, that's badass. Very nice thought.

>To add to that Chaos warriors are now not!Mongols

That would mean that the Empire venerates a Chaos Warrior...

With Terracotta soldiers instead of ushabti, giant animated Qilin and Heavenly Lion statues (advanced versions made of jade?), and magic based on Taoist alchemy.

Dwarves have always kinda been diaspora Jews (advanced technology from a long lost empire; small numbers but present almost everywhere; Terry Pratchett had them running kosher delis), so actually acknowledging it opens a lot of doors.

Make it a plot twist. Ancient founder of the Empire was a great grandfather of the first Everkhan.

How about Koreans as Ogre Kingdoms, that regularly employ halflings instead of gnoblars. Their region makes it difficult for everyone to have access to quality ingredients, and many have to make do with garbage components, so they employ halflings to turn what would normally be gristle and bone into succulent soups and delicacies of marinated meat.

Ogres for the longest time kept to themselves for the most part, setting out only when their Hermit Kingdom is threatened by outsiders. However in recent years, Emperor Gyeun He(Musical Gut) decreed to expand his pantry, and his coffers, his armies could sell themselves as mercenaries to other far off lands. These Ogres employ Korean-style soldiers but with Ogre fortitude, all to bring back gold, treasures, and exotic foodstuffs for the Gluttonous Emperor's table.

They'd be focused totally on satisfying their gut. Even their language is based on this concept(Korean script can be explained off as Ogres using symbols based on their disgestige tract- circles representing the stomach, lines their esophagus, and squares their jaws)

I think the established "canon" was that ogres are rampaging across not!Europe (since not!Asia is now the "central" part of the setting), with devolved elves taking the place of devolved giants. But I guess halflings would make good gnoblar substitutes, given their connection.

Fair enough. But DE don't really give off a inuit vibe.

Really? Damn. We really need a google doc or a pastebin so newcomers can catch up with established lore.

>that regularly employ halflings instead of gnoblars
Halflings have completely different tone. They are eternal civilians unfit for war, famous for their cooking, skill with a sling and humor. They are unfit to be warriors in any situation. Put them into gnoblars' place and you'll get just gnoblars but with hairy feet instead of halflings.

Sounds good to me. Go all out with mythology.

It was their way of waging holy war (They were and are muslims too) and make a lot dosh while doing so. Cypriots, knights of Rhodos and Malta did the same stuff, just the other way round.

>I think the established "canon" was that ogres are rampaging across not!Europe
Seriously? I thought they were all cramped up with Estalia and Tilea so ogres would be very far from them.

Not quite, in WHFB lore, it's established that Ogres kidnap halflings to cook good food for them. In this setting, I'm implying the ogres employ them more wholesale rather than just kidnapped hostages.

>It was their way of waging holy war
So what? They were raiding the coast and ships for slaves and selling them.

Nah, Russia and Austria would be the hordes of chaos. Less chaotic this time.

>In this setting, I'm implying the ogres employ them more wholesale rather than just kidnapped hostages
As I said wholesale deal doesn't work. Halflings would stop being halflings, annoying little shits who try to be as far from the battlefield as possible.

This is pretty dope.

If you want one nation more evil than Ottomans you have not!Mongols for that.

I mean the "canon" of Turkhammer or "Bow of the Prophet" or whatever this is called. The elves were replaced with three races of giants inspired by Norse mythology, so in a sort of joke on how WH has three kinds of elves but only one retarded kind of giant, things were reversed here: the elves once had a glorious civilization in not!Europe, but [ogre equivalents] rampaged across it until all the elves devolved into vapid, inbred, grotesque little parodies of fairies who care about nothing but meat, wine, and fornication (whose massive, devouring swarms make large parts of not!Europe uninhabitable) who are only occasionally hired as mercenaries by [ogre equivalents] and/or [greenskin equivalents].

I wrote that, too. Neither them nor the Knights made a big distinction between holy war and making a lot of easy money.
Granted the former ended up as pure front quite fast, but still funny.
>DEUS VULT,LOOT AND BITCHES

Suggestion for our Jewish Dwarfs: maybe this setting's equivalent of the War of the Beard was what resulted in them getting thrown out of not!Israel?

Also, would they have an equivalent to Slayers?

That's the point. Ogres do all the fighting, in exchange, the halflings make their meals and keep them satisfied. They protect the halflings in exchange for feasts.

Whom did the Knights sell the slaves anyway?

Roachhammer ?

>Also, would they have an equivalent to Slayers?
Zealots?

Given that the elves are now giants, I think it'd be extremely fitting. Dwarfs vs. Giants is an age old concept.

It'd also fit the "Mechanicus=dwarfs=Jews" theme we got going for 40K, as IIRC we wanted the Mechanicus to be a lot more under the thumb of the Imperium this time, which is accomplished by the Imperium controlling/threatening their sacred/pilgrimage sites. So it's great to go with a running theme of them being kicked out of their holy land.

Okay seriously, someone should set up a Google Doc. Preferably OP. We got new people coming in and they have no idea if their idea for a race is already used up.

With the Roachguard

>Ottomans
>evil
For most of their subjects they were alright.
The fucked up shit was family internal.

>Mongols
>evil
They did had exactly the same style of conquest as the romans: Murder one city and the next few will surrender.
If you surrendered, often even after fighting, they let you join and get your share in loot and glory.

They also did not give a minor fuck about anyones imaginary best friend which was unheard of and kept a strict legal code. Pax mongolica, user.

All in all: Strict, yes. Evil, no.

So are Skaven replaced with cockroaches?

Not snakes? Someone really should make a google doc.

Muslims. Or Venetians who then sold them. I wager, boys could fetch a good price as potential castrates.

That would be neat. Fantasy had that to some extend, with the Norse and the imperial tribes being related.

And wasn't Archaeon a Sigmarite priest before going mad?

user, you are just calling two powers who commited mass murder and large scale atrocities not evil at all. You lack any sense of self-awareness. You should go read about Mongol conquests too. It's very amusing to read about replacing protagonist faction of Warhammer with some evil muslim fucks. Especially since our local Veeky Forums kebabs avoid introducing any historical references and connections which by the way are the lifeblood and charm of Warhammer. You are completely missing what makes WHFB so attractive and instead pretend to focus on some not so relevant parts. All because they would paint their dear Ottoman empire as disgusting as it was. And as the other guy said the closest analogue to the Ottomans would be the land of Druchii.

>setting focusing on oriental, rather than European cultures
>Authentic Hungarian vampire voivodes

Arent Hungarians european?

No, just the Empire is now Turkroachistan

True, but they're the part of Europe which had the closest relations to the Ottoman Empire and has the closest association with vampires.

He was a templar of the Twin-Tailed Comet

We have a good thing going on here, let's try not to shit it up with /pol/ faggotry.

>and has the closest association with vampires
Except for the country which gave Sylvania its name

The Venetians had their fingers in the Black Sea slave trade in a big way for a couple of centuries. They had cities in the region.

It's okay, that one was also under Turkish rule at one point (and almost indistinguishable from Hungary, during certain periods)

My history is rusty, but if I'm not mistaken, Transylvania WAS, officially, a part of Hungary until fairly recently. Not sure if OP was aware of it, but every so once in a while even an ignorant moron says something accidentally right.

>So are Skaven replaced with cockroaches?
Cockroach-people would be deliciously disgusting and weird.

Not-Skaven are underground roach slavers, selling their 'wares' to the most vile of slave owners who do not care about anything but profits.

This raises the question of slavery in the setting. Historically the Ottomans were not averse to a bit of slavery, or at least turning a blind eye. Does the world of 'WARBOW' have a social niche for slaves, how are they treated and what function do they fulfill?

You've already done it when you created this thread, turkroach. Normally replacing lead hero of the story with your own self-insert would be met with raised eye-brows and disapproval but I guess doing it under the noble pretense of orientalism somehow redeems it.

>Cockroach-people