/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Paladins back again!
>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents

web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Trove:
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
What's you're favorite class? Tells us about the character you played it with.

DMs what's your favorite NPC or the parties favorite NPC?

Other urls found in this thread:

arcana.io/monster
dmsguild.com/product/189372/A-Guide-to-Curse-of-Strahd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>tfw use almost all your spells in the first session including cantrips

first for you make one damage roll for both missiles when casting magic missile

Can Gnomes be addicts?

The parties favorite NPC was a cowardly but powerful draconic kobold Sorcerer who wanted to become a real dragon when he grew up.

5e is my first D&D, enjoying it so far.

Glad to hear you're having fun adventures, user.

Why not?

Paladin by far. Most recent character was an oath of vengeance in CoS. Got Irina and Istmark killed because he refused to back down in a hostage situation. Felt extremely guilty afterwards so made a big deal about burying Istmarks body as restitution, then took a deal with an archfey so he could have the power to stop something like that from happening again (warlock multi). Failed to stop the party from unleashing the evil in the Amber temple, and ended up killing a party member who was turned by strahd in the final fight, but came out the victor and decided to stay in Barovia until he could somehow undo the damage that had been done by his failure in the Amber Temple and bring life back to Barovia. Afterward DM told me that if we ever picked back up with him, it would turn out I got conned by demon prince of lies so my paladin's next chapter would be him+the dragon spirit Argynvost vs. Amber Temple evil thing & Prince of lies.

Gunsmith has familiar
Familiar uses Help action on Gunsmith
The sniper/spotter duo blasts things from range with advantage
Does this work/check out, or does the familiar have to go and harry enemies up close?

what level are you? Because that seems sort of normal at lower levels.

Speaking as a GM, so far my favorite NPC leans a bit towards Lydia Burrows. She's a halfling member of the thieves guild and is terribly superstitious.

Probably my favorite moment with her was when she tried to find out if the PC party's sorc was indeed a tiefling* and handed her a Yolannda holy symbol soaked in holy water.

Naturally, it didn't work since tieflings aren't actually susceptible to holy water's radiant damage properties.

But I liked how I gave her that little characterization and added to the world with the kinds of superstitions that surround those linked to the lower planes.

*about eighty years before the time of the campaign, a crapload of people were forced to flee the old continent of Eurys because the Emperor went nuts and started using lots of necromancy, summoning fiends, and possibly communing with outer gods. Due to this the refugee colonists are hateful of anything linked to the lower planes and the Crown has an outright bounty on any discovered Tieflings.

They have to go harry them up close

Do premade versions of the base classes exist for the homebrewery? For like if you wanted to use a class that exists as a base and then modify it into what you want rather than starting from scratch?

...well, I guess it wouldn't be on the homebrewery since it would by definition be publishing copyrighted material, but maybe someone is hosting that shit somewhere else?

It works.

Same for me.

What are you playing?

RAW your familiar would have to be within 5ft of the target and grants advantage on the first shot only

My favorite class is the Cleric, but that's more from a design standpoint. I like that they're pretty flexible and come with strong built-in flavor.

So how is damage applied with Magic Missile? Do you roll damage once or for each dart?

Like what do you mean? If you just mean altering classds, you can do thqt by making new subclasses or altering base classes, which WotC has an article with some guidlines on

Gunsmiths only get one anyways, so that'd be fine.
And the wording is weird especially when Mastermind is in consideration, but I guess Masterminds are special about it.
[concern]

STOP

I houseruled it to be one roll for different targets, but multiple rolls against the same, as it is more in line with whats written in the damage rolls' rules

Best you can do is go to /r/UnearthedArcana and look for any "revised" class homebrews there and copy the source.
I'd advise you to just list your changes instead rewriting the entire thing, I feel it gets so hard to spot the changes whenever there's a class homebrew.

Unrelated, but if you ever need to copy monsters, you can use this site's feature to copy the markdown: arcana.io/monster

RAW: 1d4+1 force damage for all missiles.
RAI: 1d4+1 force damage for all missiles.
RAF: 1d4+1 force damage for each missile.

I've always wanted to do something similar but with warlock. Spell sniper + eldritch spear, send out your familiar to be your spotter, flying out and marking enemies for you telling you where they are/switching senses so you can actually see them. Honestly not a lot of opportunity for it to actually pay off in the types of games my groups usually run, but I like it in theory.

The DM declares two numbers between 1 and 4, and the darts alternate between them, you didn't actually think that you rolled any dice did you?!?

The help action needs to be used next to the target to give advantage on attack rolls, you can only assist with ability checks next to the person who's benefiting.

Yeah, everything you need to know is the wording of the help action itself

I just mean getting the actual giant block of text of a class description with homebrewery formatting so I don't have to enter all that shit manually.

Greatly appreciated my man, the more data entry I can avoid the better.

Remind me again how it is that they have nerfed the Forge Cleric?

Other than swapping Shield with Identify (I'm OK with that)

>DMs what's your favorite NPC or the parties favorite NPC?

I have a High Elven Artificier NPC who goes to school in this mage tower/mega-library, she is pretty quiet and lonely, but loves crafting stuff. She has dreams and aspirations of leaving and exploring the open world and opening her own library. So it always brightens her day to see the party and hear their stories about where they had been, minus all the constant pain and death they suffer...

She has formed a pretty solid relationship with the party as she has seen them occasionally throughout what I think to be 5+ months. She crafted several items for them such as Acid flasks, alchemical fires, 4 Magical Coins (Which was going to be a surprise gift for the parties Gunslinger until she found out that Gunslinger died. She instead gave it to the parties Rogue who she is now developing a bit of a crush on.), and lastly a reflavored Sending Stone that instead of stones and speaking are now two scrolls that can transcribe notes to the other person whenever they write on it (Currently she and the Rogue have one and they write to each other in a Pen pal type format).

She's my favorite so far as I made her up on the spot when they went to the tower for the first time and she has flourished into something I did not see her ever becoming.

I've been,really itching to try Rogue and Sorcerer, but my last game had the bad luck of having 2 Rogues already along with a Sorcerer and a Bard. I ended up having a decent time with Barbarian, though I feel like it didnt mesh with the party as well.

That craft shit out of metal move now takes an hour instead of being part of a short rest.

My group is playing out of the abyss and I need to make another character. I want to play a ranger but I don't want to be a metagaming faggot and pick underdark fiend monstrosity slayer.
Do I just pick favoured enemies that make sense for my background?

An Underdark Slayer makes a lot of sense for a Ranger who would get caught by Drow tbqh

I think that's just it, the free +2 AC from 6th level onwards is still there.

A Channel Divinity feature that could only be used on short rest made no sense, though, if anything, it's a buff and removes clunkyness.

They don't get +Level Force damage against constructs.

Those are actually fair choices. One way I'd do it is pick your lesser enemy from background, but metagame your greater enemy as something you've been training to fight.

Your DM says that you have to play a character that exclusively uses a Blowgun.

How do you munchkin this shit up

Can you take Drow as a favored enemy?

Kensei Monk. Alternatively, LoreMaster Wizard, since he didn't say I had to use it a lot

cute paladin girls

Offer to blow his gun if he'll let me play something else.

So you can just plop your ass on a wagon and go to work while the rest of the party travels?
Seems marginal

>No image attached

cute necromancer girls

I'd ask your DM/group. I'd wager they would allow if your background can support it in some way.

Nothing in the book says otherwise, but you'd be a drow-hunter, though.
mechanic-wise, they're under the Elf tag, just like Duergar are under Dwarf

I never cared for it anyway, it becomes absurdly obsolete once you start having lots of money, or acess to the fabricate spell

I'm making a Wood elf Barbarian who is going to be starting at level 6 but I'm not sure what to do with my level 4 ASI.

Starting stats will be: 15,16,15,8,11, 8

Should I round off my Str and Con or just go GWM?

Assassin rogue. Sneak attack dice are not dependent on the weapon and scale up with level. Assassins can sneak attack every round if you have clever ways to get advantage. Rogues don't use multiattack so they aren't penalized for only shooting one dart. Use your poisoners kit proficiency to make poisons that will also deal crit damage.

This only if you can't use spells

Warlock, Pact of the Blade.

Rolled 9 (1d20)

roll for cuteness

Play the darkest skinned character ever.
Have him come from Chult and put on the thickest, most offensive tribesman accent you can.
Constantly try to eat the people your party kills and say that its tradition in the Cannibal village you come from.
Make the DM cringe so hard from the racial insensitivity that he lifts the restriction.

oh, my god, this is adorable. My heart.

Due they have neurochemistry?

Than the answer is 'yes'.

Hell, pretty sure mindflayers could end up addicts.

Actually, I might use that as one of the elements that led to the mindflayer empire's downfall in my own setting.

>Gith figured out how to get mindflayers addicted to a super drug that ultimately poisons their colony's elder brain
>fuck over the Mindflayers and get paid for it by them.

Cute enough?

I'd say they might be a fitting option. Not totally useless and,explains why you'd be in the underdark, but not quite fully metagamed.

>What's you're favorite class? Tells us about the character you played it with.
Ranger. I was a scout most of my childhood, raised with hunters and survivalists, grew up in the woods, and took an environmental science degree. I'm pretty fond of the green and playing a Ranger is pretty fun for me, since it's basically what I'd like to be in real life were such things possible.

you roll 3d4+3 per dart

Kenku bard who communicates only through song lyrics. Bad idea or good idea? Pretty sure my group would be okay with it.

But I want to play a tortle primeval guardian. Doesn't really make sense to have much contact with drow or fiends.

my cute paladin girl will smite your zombies

v cute, I want to hug them

Good idea for a session or two and no more

Spontaneous NPCs are more often than not the best

How do you actually like playing ranger? It seems like such a weird class in terms of mechanical identity

this is great

Does anyone have the greentext where the DM allowed the player to craft the "Create Skeleton" spell which caused a skeleton apocalypse?

Ok boys, I need help. I've almost finished LMoP with my group of newbies, and my core books just arrived. I bought Curse of Strahd and I'm reading through it. I am also going to get as it's recommended heavily:

dmsguild.com/product/189372/A-Guide-to-Curse-of-Strahd

My question about CoS is: can/should I use battle map (which my players have enjoyed) or theater-of-the-mind? All the castles and houses seem difficult to draw out and might probably take me very long. How did you/your DM handle the dungeons in CoS?

The area you lived in had a bunch of cave exits, Drow raiders frequently came to the surface to try and get slaves. You protected people from them.

Fiends is a bit harder, maybe your culture taught that they were the greatest threat to life and made sure you knew how to deal with them.

>Still no image

I'd go with the ASI. You'll already be enjoying more damage at level 5 from 2 attacks anyway so you won't miss the bonus damage too much initially.

>tfw no skeleton gf who makes bad puns

>barefoot goth necromancer qt
MUH

ASI for sure. +1 to hit, damage, str/con saves, athletics, +6 hp.

should I be trying to hide before combat starts as a rogue? or is hiding mid combat possible

You got lots of dungeons to whom theater of the mind is the only option and it's a terrible one

If they're dungeon crawling, like in the Death House basement, draw them a minimap, not a "scale to grid" map, and when describing, don't be afraid to go a little ahead, and avoid describing room by room.
"You see corridors lining the halls leading to what seems to be an array of cripts. To the south, the hall seems to open to large dark room while to the north, it bends west to areas unknown."

Not generally possible, no. Hide first if the situation calls for it, but being around your allies should be enough.

>short hair
>tattoos
>that armour

why are Veeky Forums girls so perfect

Yes and yes

both

Hiding mid combat is possible, but its requirements to succeed vary from GM to GM. RAW you can't just go behind a rock and successfully hide, although some GMs will allow you to do so. However, if there's a barrel and some crates in front of that rock and you could get behind them from the rock without entering an enemy's line of sight, then it's feasible that you could successfully stealth. As long as there's a path for you to travel out of line of sight after you've hidden behind something then it's fair game.

Like I said though it's heavily GM reliant, and in my experience most GMs are either too lenient or too restrictive.

but i want that sweet advantage on first attack
guess i'll try hiding before combat starts so i can swiggity swooty up to them

>oh, my god, this is adorable. My heart.
Thanks she did have some touch and go after finding out that the Gunslinger had died.

See she's an alchemist and as an alchemist, she has a tendency to work in hindsight's when things go wrong, asking herself questions like "Why did I not try this?" or "This (x concept/ material) would have worked and now I've wasted all of this time/money." That situation raised similar questions.

>"What if I made (x item) sooner would she still be here?"
>"Why did I not give her (x item) sooner she would be here?!"
>"What if I was there I could have helped with (x trait) would she still be here?"
>"What if her friends did (x thing) instead of (x thing) would she be here?"
>"Why is she not here?"

These questions repeated until she passed out from stress.

She eventually pushed forward (crafted an awesome Giant Eagle named Adler) and started to focus more on the party after her death.

Agreed!

If a monster would likely one-shot a player character, is it a bad idea to send them against it?

Yes, I dont know what the point of doing that is. However, if you give them a shit load of warnings and red flags and making the monster in that manner greatly enhances to the campaign, then sure, go for it

Mechanically Rogues are intended to sneak attack 9 out of 10 times (ie. they fail only when they have disadvantage on their target) and mechanically rogues are intended to achieve Advantage on about half of their attacks by their own action.

Most of 5e combat is designed "theatre of the mind" or having a graph paper grid to generalize the combat, so Rogue combat is one of the most narrative-reliant aspects, as cunning action is intended to equate to "I narrate doing dastardly stuff so I can get advantage", with a lot of the other Rogue bonus action balanced out with the other dastardly antics- throwing vials of acid at the enemy is 2d6, or a low level sneak attack, for example, or the general usefulness of disengage/dash actions.

This puts the hiding in combat portion, which is the Rogue go-to for self-granted advantage, mostly on the DM, and we all know DM quality varies wildly. However overly strict the DM becomes, however, eventually there are enough tools in the Rogue's kit to overcome that and get the mathematically estimated number of sneak attack+advantage anyway. Early on, AT rogues giving themselves advantage with familiar's using help, and then later poking things in the eye with mage hand, for example.

I like how this guy did a kenku. It's not really the way they're meant to be but it seems like it would be a lot better for a long campaign
podbay.fm/show/1115818419/e/1506091500?autostart=1

damn, that's not just adorable but also sad.

I want her in my game. But I can't because I would never do such spontaneous creation justice.

Just do I do and discreetly nerf it to combat-able levels while praying none of the PCs bother to reach for their own copies of the monster manual.

I mean they shouldn't but we're playing on roll d20 so I have no real power to enforce "don't metagame" since I can't even tell if they're doing it or not.

Can't you just get advantage by hitting something that an ally is next to though?

no

no but you get sneak attack bonus

I think Clerics are probably the best or second best class in 5e. They are similar to Bards in that they can fill any role. The difference is that Bards are "jack of all trades", while Clerics can actually specialize in a particular area and get fucking useful at it, and still have utility in other areas.

They are underplayed as shit. Life Clerics especially.

Verbal and Somatic Component Differences Between Classes in my opinion:

Wizards: All V and S components are identical between wizards, with small flourishes or changes if they've mastered the spell or something similar. They get their power through study and theory.

Sorcerers: All V and S components are unique to that specific sorcerer, however whatever way those components manifest is the same each time they cast that specific spell. Meaning when they cast fireball their V and S are different than a wizard's and even other sorcerers, but each time they cast fireball they are using the same V and S they used last time. They cannot change it. This is because sorcerers have innate magic and must discover their individual ways to channel that power that works for them. HOWEVER, if they have received guidance and tutelage from either a wizard or a more experienced sorcerer, it is entirely possible that they use the same V and S components as their teachers, moreso if they have the same sorcerer origin as their teacher.

Clerics and Paladins: All V and S components are the same between gods, domains, or oaths depending on the setting. All V components are prayers and excerpts from holy scriptures, which is why they vary from god to god, as each god likely has its own holy books.

Bards: Similar to sorcerers all V and S components are unique to the bard, although it is common for bards studying from the same college have the same V and S components within the confines of their performance (if you channel through a song you and your classmates play the same song no matter the instrument, if it's through oration you channel the same speech or poem). It is feasible that a bard knows multiple ways to cast the same spell.

Warlocks: Wildcards because of all of the varying ways you can fluff how and from whom they get their power.

Druids and Ranger: Haven't put much thought into it because nobody at my table ever plays these guys.

>throwing vials of acid
how would you do that as a bonus action?
it falls under an attack, not use object

My party is on an every other week schedule. This is my off week. What do you anons on similar schedules do to take the edge off? Shitposting on /5eg/ doesn't help, it only makes it worse

I watch all the streams and listen to all the podcasts

streams? I only know of Critical Role and I kind of just ignore that one because I don't enjoy most of the players

what other streams we talking about here?

Right. That's what i was thinking of. My bad

Some of us have to wait months

What are your thoughts on the Adventure Zone?

I think it went way downhill after the Stolen Century, Griffin means well but he gets too interested in telling the story he wrote instead of letting the players guide the campaign.

Not to mention the pandering.

There's High Rollers and Dice Camera Action, and a bunch of others on the D&D Twitch/YouTube channel.

same boat
life is suffering

Is Tremorsense still in the game in 5e?

I'm about a third of the way up to date with Dice, Camera, Action at the moment. I'll look for something else once I catch up with that.