/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General:

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything — Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything — New Player Options and Spells
mega.nz/#!U7RkBJrI!76abnPsumdl4qV_KnYObbDP5g7cAV4yvpJCVJlHjrUk

>Unearthed Arcana: elf elf options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/
If you want to play 4E, why can't you play 4E instead of crying about how 5E hurts your feelings?

Other urls found in this thread:

astranauta.github.io/feats.html#dragonmark of passage_uaeberron
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

4e is pretty fun.

Because nobody will play 4e with me because people like 5e more and because I'm too spineless to make my own game and because I'm too spineless to go find other people that like 4e b-but muh martials

I've been doing my best to make 5e combat more like 4e by:

Adding magic items that give players interesting at will and encounter type abilities.
Short rests take 10 minutes

If I really wanted to 'fix' martials I'd just homebrew yet another shitty broken subclass, probably based on the Mystic.

Grugach Elf Barbarian, how do I do these stats. Right now I'm thinking 16, 13, 15, 10, 12, 8 after racials, and I'll boost DEX and CON at level 4. Thoughts?

Oh, I'm also working on a Homebrew that adds at will type abilities to backgrounds and weapon proficiency.

Wood Elf Kensai Monk with a 3 dip for Rogue Assassin: go idea or best idea?

Is it worth it for a wizard to multiclass to a cleric, for armor proficiencies etc?

Horizon Walker has a level 11 feature that lets you teleport up to 30 feet in a round when you take the attack action.

If the Horizon Walker is walking down the road in a peaceful area, can he attack the ground to teleport up to 30 feet?

4e anons please leave, make your own thread. At least pathfags leave us alone, jesus

If something sounds stupid in your head it is probably stupid btw.

It sounds stupid to me that a character would be able to teleport while attacking but not while not attacking. What in universe is causing that?

I theory he can attack the ground to teleport. Personally I'd just say they can at-will teleport 30ft. as an action or as part of an attack.

That doesn't really sound so interesting to me. You just spam it a lot or every encounter rather than finding the best situation to use it in. A lot of magic items are like that.
Most people would probably appreciate it, but what I want is for combat to be populated correctly. Interesting semi-recurring enemies (so you can learn about them as you fight them) or enemies that you can prepare for beforehand since they're mentioned. Bits and pieces in the environment to interact with. Items you can buy and use, even maybe typical monster hunting gear such as salt, mirrors or even flares or such being relevant. Those sorts of things make combat much more interesting than simply giving you a longer 'combat routine'.

They shouldn't even have to be able to attack. However, the DM could reasonably say 'while you can at-will teleport 30ft (as an action), you shouldn't use it too much as it may endanger you and tire you out' so your character won't just walk everywhere by teleporting.

My philosophy is that every player should have access to at least three worthwhile at will bonus action abilities, with very different effects. As long as the player has actual choices, combat will get more interesting.

Depend on what kind of Wizard do you want to be and your party composition.

It's nice to have back up healing and better AC but it's also nice to have new spell level. It would say it's an even trade off.

Okay, I'll go with that.

As an attack action you can shove yourself to get an extra 5 feet and get the teleport as well

elven accuracy doesn't work on str anymore

>A creature can benefit from this ceremony just once
That unironically has some interesting setting implications.

I know that fren

Just Elven Barbarians with big swords appeal to me, and now there's an actual STR Elf.

Yes

I remember using my Shadow teleport on my Urchin monk to fly around a city, when she learned someone was about to slaughter the homeless kids in the city.

GM let me do it, murder the hired mercenaries, and then have gave me 2 levels of exhaustion for the insane overuse of the ability. Took me roughly 5 minutes to get there by adding the teleport distance, so I used roughly 50 times in succession, as well as over the course of 10 rounds of combat, so 60 times in a row, no breaks.

Seemed reasonable to me.

If the player cared about more choices they could have played a class or archetype with more choices.
Also environment can give the player more choices anyway.

My philosophy at least is that players shouldn't be looking entirely at their sheet, but also at the world around them and how they can apply what's on their sheet there. A champion fighter has jack shit, but they still have extra attack which means multiple grapples or they can shoot multiple things in the environment, such as cutting both ropes on a rope bridge to make enemy advance impossible, in a turn.
Of course, I wouldn't be entirely against giving them magical items then. The at-will abilities and encounter powers sound much more fun than a +1 weapon. But with encounter powers I wouldn't want it being something that is used every single encounter (probably) and with at-will powers it should probably be .. I'm not sure.

But the idea of always having bonus actions does limit the brokenness of PAM/GWM/CBE.

Yes, that's probably what I'd do.

Similarly for spamming cantrips all day outside of combat, too, so you can't just acid splash your way into something from above over several hours, though maybe 5 minutes of acid splash would be fine.

Reminder that a Warlock's Power is his own.

>Seemed reasonable to me.
Does it have a restriction? No?

Then don't accept an arbitrary nerf, holy shit. Why is this okay for casters but not martials?

I get that the environment should inform your abilities in any fight. That's fair. But that, and what I want are not mutually exclusive. In fact, I'd argue that the more abilities that characters have, the easier it is for the characters to interact with the environment.

Abilities and the environment both serve the same purpose: acting as role-playing/creativity prompts.

>Lol you lose all your powers have fun being a peasant with high HP
>Wizard is fine though

Last time we had a shit dm, my group ended up camping outside a wall as our alchemist and wizard tossed acid at it for several hours.
At first he insisted on rolling probably to discourage us, but the campaign was so awful and we had no actual reason to do anything at all that we just said fuck it.
After the session we stopped the campaign entirely.

Don't wizards lose their powers of their spellbook is lost?

Might be good to hear what sorts of at-will/encounter powers you have, then.

I kind of like the idea of shit like 'bag of infinite caltrops' that creates magical caltrops that last for an hour, up to 4 sets out at any one time.

Pretty sure the spellbook isn't required at all, it's only used for changing prepared spells and casting unprepared rituals.

Wizards have spells that can help secure their spellbook anyway.

Acid splash is a lovely form of cancer.

They just can't change the prepared spells.

Every dm worth the position would do the same for any wizard spamming non resourced abilities, like cantrips.
Similarly, no good dm would nerf use of resourced abilities, such as step of the wind, any more than they do spell slots.

>DM literally tells you that this place, yes, right here, is a good spot for a short rest, and no monsters will ambush and kill you this hour
Would that break your immersion?

>REEEEEEE
I thought it was fitting, in that a jerk noble we had just best into submission, was laughing, telling us that we couldn't stop his plan, and the orphanage would burn, and the kids would be slaughtered like lambs.

My character who still had a lot of friends both from the orphanage and the streets, was more in panic than anything else. The sheer strain of running full speed, burning every single Ki point for additional speed, using the shadow step ability, and generally having no other concern than stopping the assholes about to murder her friends, seemed pretty fitting to just knock out a person for a couple of days of recovery, both mentally and physically.

I don't consider it a nerf as much as a storytelling device, to show just how much effort was exerted here. I prefer that to Superman levels of "I am never hurt of tired ever" crap.

Stuff like that. A disguise kit that lets you be the faceless man from got and disguise as a bonus action. A magically reflective shield that lets you on a bonus action force a save or blind on creatures. The ability to grant half cover to an ally within 5 feet of you.

Yes.

I like to stay on edge.

If I did that, I'd have it this information passed on by a magical item granted by a government, church, or guild. A safestone, so to speak.

Reminds me of a cape my Paladin has in my current campaign.

>Cape of Glory
>+1 AC, +2 Charisma
>The cape grants a glow of majesty around the wearer, and it always seems to flow dramatically behind the wearer.
>The wearer counts as cover for anyone fully or partially behind the wearer, granting full or 3/4 cover.
>Can use a Bonus action to extend this cover a full tile to the left and right of the wearer, expanding the zone of cover. Can only use this feature equal to the wearers Charisma modifier per day, recharging at dawn.
It is great.

I just got around to reading XGE and I gotta say I'm pretty underwhelmed by the new subclasses, most of them just seem redundant to other subclasses in the PHB. What's the general consensus on it here and am I looking at it wrong?

Everything is either broken or boring and bad.

>>Play 4E
>>Spineless
>>Redundant

Pretty much like So that people don't have to argue over short rest points and it doesn't break immersion as much.

I've thought of using disguise self mid-combat before, but it takes a full action. Might be interesting if it turned 'mask of many faces' into a bonus action use ability that still allows you to cast spells, though you'd have to make a check or two to actually fool enemies at all and do it where they can't see you, and they aren't likely to fall for it again.
You'd also have to be careful that one isn't obviously stronger than the other almost all the time like that shield. Though that sounds like an encounter power, it sounds like something you'd use all the time, though I suppose it's a nice signature move, but would be more suited to being a 'bonus feat/item' that you grant players.

Mixed bag. Some stuff is great(cavalier, hexblade), some stuff is shit(samurai, arcane archer).

>Bonus feat/item
What I meant by that is rather than having magical items that are like additional class features, you give your players a choice of which they want rather than just giving it to them. The choice doesn't have to be straight-up if it's earned mid-campaign, could be a selection of treasure to hunt down.

So it's 5e as usual. Nah, just kidding. Honestly, it seems to be suffering from 3.5's bloat. At least they put out a ranger class fix instead of saying "No, it's SUPPOSED to be useless." I hope they put out a revision on all the classes giving everyone more stuff, or at least fix system flaws.

My biggest issue so far has been the Sorcerer subclasses, as I feel Shadow sorcerer is just a lesser version of Shadow Monk. And divine soul is an issue since I never really think healing when I think Sorcerer

I liked what I saw.I think the stuff that works will be worth it for most campaigns compared to the stuff that made me shrug

What is a reliable way to Frighten enemies as a Human Conquest Paladin other than Fear and their Channel Divinity?

Whats the best character I can make with multiclassing as much as I can? max 3 levels in a class.

Dragonborn with the feat that lets him exchange his useless breath weapon for a fear effect maybe? That came to mind instantly when looking through XGE

A lot of it seems to be adding mechanics to certain tropes of characters and making them subclasses. The monk ones are the most obvious offenders.

Storm Barbarian, Cavalier, Divine Soul, and Hexblade are the ones that seem to be garnering the most attention.

Probably some sort of abomination that smites with the force of a million exploding suns.

>as a Human be a Dragonborn

Yeah i considered it as well, but as i said
>Human
Please and thank you

3 warlock 3 sorcerer 3 bard 3 rogue 3 fighter 3 wizard 2 druid

Paladin sorcerer warlock bard fighter rogue in this order

Dip into Battlermaster and grab the appropriate maneuver?

I get your complaint with the former, but the latter, flavor aside, is a cool way of opening the class up

Do you need another option besides channel divinity? It's short rest, lasts 10 rounds, and doesn't require concentration right?

I guess that i could also just grab the Feat for the two maneuvers, couldn't i?

>want to make a human Arcane Trickster
>Wants a crossbow character
>Take CBE
>Build complete
So uh... what can I choose to make this build more complex? Or is that it outside of multiclassing?

Also is there any spells an AT gets access to that would be good for a CBE Rogue? The blade cantrips aren't very helpful here.

arcane trickster can use ritual magic I think, they also maybe benefit from dragonmark feats and mobile or that other hiding one. aside from that max your dex

Find familiar

Well almost. It requires a Wisdom save and enemies can repeat the save each round, so full 10 rounds is unlikely. Also one would give up the +10 to hit option.

I mean I'd have to drop my lovely 16 con down to 14.

Even if they break it, can't the aura reapply it?

>arcane trickster can use ritual magic I think
Nope, but ritual caster is a popular choice I see.

>they also maybe benefit from dragonmark feats
What? Dragonmark feats?

That's a given, but the help bot will not be useful. My GM is of the "using it to help twice during any given combat will get it killed" school.

So use it to do complicated things instead. Multiclass to a warlock of the Raven queen and take the chain pact. Enjoy your three amazing helpers.

Chain Pact is still find familiar

What aura? The channel divinity is just 1 action, not ongoing.

>dragonmark
>astranauta.github.io/feats.html#dragonmark of passage_uaeberron

>Familiars aren't useful if they're killed
Just re-summon it later. Saves you taking an attack if you do that in an important fight.

Real DMs kill a familiar off if it even tries to give advantage once and can't keep itself safe. Fun DMs have familiars actually have their own will.

Invisible imps are a lot harder for the DM to fairly kill. Usually the recommendation from the armchair dms in 5eg in how to kill it relies upon a misunderstanding of how attacking invisible things works.

..You could take a level in fighter for archery I guess
Maybe two in ranger for Archery Fightingstyle, a level of caster and Hunter's Mark?

Besides sharpshooter? You could take that UA alchemist feat and/or train in poison kits to tip your bolts in poison for various effects. Also could work with your DM to see about making special bolts

There's always 3 levels in fighter for Fighting Style, Action Surge and Arcane Archery

>Dragonmark of Making
>Magic Weapon
>Mending
Holy shit yes.

And fabricate holy hell that is amazing.

run it by your DM, I'm not sure about the place that feat was created

>Arcane Archery
Why the fuck would you do this.

Battle master is better. Shit, even EK is better.

Arcane Archer got gutted.

3 levels for battlemaster because its the true archetype

Whoops, you're right. I guess I combined the effect with the actual aura effect since it relies on fear

Unearthed arcane.

But yeah, this is definitely GM fiat. Dragonmarks Are Eberron specific, and not just to the setting, to specidic houses in the setting, who are super protective of them due to how powerful they are. The families literally control entire market sectors based on these marks. I think youd be hard pressed to get approval for this unless you really make a good case for it. They are purposely powerful because of the highly restricted nature of them.

It's more that when I think of Sorcerers, at least in the sense of 5e flavor, I think magic users who are more inclined towards the elements than others, since magic is a natural thing for them. MMy point being, I would have preferred at least another elementally speciallized sub for the class (Phoenix was my favorite from the UAs)

Happens to all of us.
But yeah, I'm just trying to find more than one or two ways.
Not that it matters much because i won't play a Conquest Paladin in Tomb of Annihilation

I'm actually kinda interested in running a hexblade/monster slayer character. So far it seems that it could work from a mechanical standpoint. Just need to think up a backstory for flavor

I'm pretty sure the idea was to synergize magical archery

I'm pretty sure the magical archer is the one you go for, optimization isn't *everything*

luckily the book with Hexblade and monster slayer has a whole section on backstories

Of course it isn't everything. If it was, he wouldn't multiclass to fighter at all.

Looking at the UA feats, menacing looks like a good option. Expertise in Intimidation, can replace 1 swing with an intimidate vs. insight check to frighten.

>3 levels
>not 5 levels

Why wouldn't you play a conquest paladin in to?

Only lasts till the end of your next turn though, forgot to mention that part

I know, but I like fleshing stories out myself. Historically, I've come up with better backgrounds for characters than using book archetypes.

Also, a question.Is it me or is Horizon walker one of the most niche subs

Arcane Archer would have been fun with the UA version, but the XGE version is terrible. EK is better if only because of weapon bonds utility.

Probably wont. I am afraid of losing too much Sneak Attack progression for very little gain.

You are a magician and an archer. That your "archer side" is also a magical archer or a good archer who can do trick shots counts for like 1% of your fluff.

Fuck, just say you do your trick shots with magic.