/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Rolled 6 (1d6)

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything — Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Xanathar's Filler to Everything — New Character Name and Origin
mega.nz/#F!19ZwlB7J!2_05lFCkIV8F_rG-43qCfQ

>Unearthed Arcana: elf elf options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/
What are some item you never use? Soap is for the unclean.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/930607373588209664
twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/930617849407664128
dmsguild.com/product/226513/The-Lingering-Soul--Class-PostDeath-Option
twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/930619658599669760
twitter.com/AnonBabble

lantern, because we have a mage

are there any good resources for converting from PF to 5e?

What's your biggest gripe / glaring weakness about the system?

Thoughts on this house rule:

>Whenever you drink a healing potion / are healed via Medicine check, you add your CON modifier to the amount healed.

Just a small addition to address the fact that a potion greatly affects someone like a Wizard moreso than a Barbarian, even though it's magic in nature.

>glaring weakness
martials

Lack of pre-made content for high tiers of play. I want great examples of 11 and up level encounters and stories.

10 foot pole because we have a Rogue and a Bard/Rogue who constantly repeat "I check for traps" and getting hit by traps instead of using their head.

Tyranny of Dragons, Elemental Evil, and Rage of Demons all go up to 15, right?

Also Tales of the Yawning Portal has higher level stuff, doesn't it?

PS
There is some promising stuff on DMSGuild that I'm gonna check out soon.

Aren't Barbarians pretty meaty/tanky?
Don't Fighters have the best consistent DPR mid-end game?
Rogues are still skill monkeys with decent damage / survivability.

My fellow player not expanding on their character during down time. Also but mostly on EK wizard limit.

Idea
>Divine soul
>Extended command scales good
>Twinned command for multi enemy shenanigans
What else can you do with cleric spells and metamagic?

From Twitter:

Healing spirit is exceptionally effective outside combat, and it does have the potential to exceed our expectations for it. I'll have my eye on it to see if it causes disruption in actual play, rather than in theoretical situations. If it does, we'll change it. #DnD

twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/930607373588209664

I'm so fucking mad with my DM right now. There's a guy in our group who acts like a literal retard because he's character has 8 Intelligence, and he keeps rushing enemies without any care. There was an encounter with Stirges that we were supposed to avoid, our rogue already had found them, and he just went straight away to combat. He fell, made the Cleric waste a second level slot to heal him, then fell again, and made the druid waste a healing wounds. The DM didn't fucking kill him. He's literally worse than a evil character. I can't stand this anymore.

Mind spike had a typo and was supposed to do d8 additional damage at higher levels.
Divination wizard is now the best dpr wizard school.

They do, but there isn't any 16-20 level stuff outside of a few rare modules for AL.

talk to the player and the dm lmao

How far do you guys take multiclassing builds? I'm doing a paladin up to 5 and then branching out to fighter for arcane archer to get some use out of this damn book I bought. I'm a little miffed about going too far in that class though since fighter 5 would just be a dead level. I know palisorc is considered top tier but we already have two magic users in our group and I'm trying to make sure they don't have a bad time by me doing everything they do.

I know Oath of Redemption is shit, but I think it's cool shit and I want to play it - assuming a one-shot or a short campaign where low-violence solutions are possible/expected.
I imagine a dangerous and powerful guy, who refrains from violence wherever possible, until pushed over the edge. Give me some inspiration and reference to create a background for a character with it, Veeky Forums. Doesn't have to be Good: I feel like a decent ingrained-evil Pacifist in a 'I didn't hurt you, you hurt yourself' kind of way would work just fine.
inb4: Jesus, Ivan the Terrible (as in rising up as a peaceful and then falling from grace to Conquest Paladin), Martin Luther (either of those).

It's not actually bad dude, the spell list is really good and it has some nice features. It might not be the DPR Nova king but that's ok.

Can you smite on ranged attacks? I don't really see the point in that multiclass combination

Looking for any input on how to make my upcoming CoS campaign memorable for my players. Right now I'm trying to decide if I want Strahd to be antagonistic from the get go or have him be more subtle

Have you try putting a lash on the doggo?
Does a glyph of warding negate any bad effects on me? Like a wish spell.

For max damage output, what is the best beast to to pick for Conjure Animal?

If you're playing in Chult (or some other dumb setting that allows dinos) then there's a strong case to be made for conjuring eight Velociraptor since they have multiattack 2.

You don't pick the beast unless your DM lets you, otherwise it's his choice

If you want something that differentiates between wizard and barbarian, you need to base it on HD, not Con. Everyone loves a high Con.

I'm making a 12th level sorclock.

How many spell slots do I get? If I am reading the PHB correctly then I get 4 1st, 3 2-4th, 2 5th, and 1 6th. Additionally, I regain 2 2nd level slots when I short rest. Is this correct? Thanks.

You get as many spell slots as your Sorcerer levels grant you, and as many slots as your Warlock levels grant you. Warlock spellcasting is not the same as any other spellcasting and isn't a subject to Mutliclass Spellslots table.

Nah, but my DEX is high enough that I can drop the bow and go in with a short sword. Just wanted to try something different out than the typical paladin archetype. I showed up and everyone was confused why I didn't have plate mail.

Making all the dice from the potion the same type as your HD could possibly work, so wizards would roll d6's while barb would roll d12's. I don't think anyone really gives that much of a shit about healing potions in the long run though, and it doesn't really address any major complaint aside from vaguely giving the class a minor advantage

My wizard in on a personal journey to become a skeleton. Get rid of his gay flesh and roam the earth as a skeleton with a wizard hat, unbeholden to anyone.

What's the best strategy to go about doing this?

So you are
>9 Sorcerer/3 Warlock?
1st:4
2nd:5 (2 of which are warlock slots)
3rd:3
4th:3
5th:2

cast acid splash on yourself a few times

How do you guys feel about this stat system my DM implemented in our new campaign:

8 in all stats at 1st level. +1 to any stat at each level up, ignoring traditional score mod at lvls 4,8,etc (still get 1 stat point at those levels.)

His reasoning was he wanted us to feel like we were really growing in strength as we leveled. He plans on keeping encountered creatures static (a city guard will always have X hp/AC, a bear will always have X hp/AC).

I don't understand why he feels the need to go this route, but I don't want to knitpick his "system" without having key points to persuade against it other than "it feels weird and unnecessary". We're 4th level atm, so pretty much everyone has like 3 8s.

I just worry that this kind of thinking is built around lategame, and in the 4 other campaigns i've played with him, we've never made it past 11, for personal / life reasons coming up forcing us to end. Why water down the early game?

Anyone found any good multiclass combos in XGE?

oh shit, I always forget that warlock casting is "pact magic" and not spellcasting. thanks

I'm wondering if someone can help me. Im looking for this piece of art that is a bunch of different griffins based on different cat breeds. It was adorable

What....

I always feel the power jumps, ESPECIALLY when I level into a new class feature. I have never leveled up and felt like I was just as shit as I was before

>DM runs the game on auto pilot, doesn't let us do anything, we can't even try to stealth our way through.

That sounds pretty miserable at early levels. Also wouldn't that mean a "min-maxed" character could only have one ability at 20 and another at 16 at the highest level with every other one being 8 (I'm not counting racial stuff so I don't really know)? It wouldn't feel so bad if it at least broke even I guess. Maybe if he didn't take out the ASI's? I would still prefer the standard by a long shot

Kensei Samurai 10:10

How overpowered is a greatsword that allows it's wielder to double his STR/DEX mod on his attack, so a +5 mod would go to +10 on every hit. I'm right in thinking that's crazy right? I'm thinking that can get out of hand quickly and of course it's my level13 battlemaster fighter that wants it. I'm thinking a better option is just making a 3d6 wep for him, leaving some of it to chance at least.

Has anyone ever joined a D&D Group on Discord? I got invited to one (It seems to be relatively private or I'd just post it), and it seems ok

>Discord is split in half, first half is OOC shit like general discussions/character help/ect, other half is essentially a "city" when you have to be in character with shit like bazaars, a crafting area, you can become a vendor and sell shit (That isn't a generic item, those you can just "visit a shopkeep" for)
>You create a character, get invited to share their shit on Google Docs, then you post your character sheets and after they approve them you can play
>Everything 5e related is legal, as well as homebrew (You can bring your own for approval or pick something already approved). All one-shots have to abide by this
>About 2-3 people DM One-shots a night
>There is one(?) campaign going thats full, but there seems to be an overarching story to it all that I don't understand

Is it a mistake to get invested? Once I make a character I get so fucking invested in them. Does this shit usually survive? The server has like 15DMs and 90-100 players.

So far it seems like 75% of the group is cool, 15-20% aren't my type of person but still fine, and the rest are well, you know

double the mod to damage or to hit? To damage is very nice, but probably not broken at those levels. To hit will interfere with bounded accuracy and probably is very bad idea.

A Greatsword that does 3d6 damage is an increase of 2.5 damage on average per attack. An increase of +5 flat damage is twice that and is more reliable. As a fighter he's going to be attacking three times per turn, so any small flat damage is going to quickly add up.

Unless all of your characters are children theres no reason to have 8 in all stats. Even commoners have 10 in all stats.

Even if you start with 10 in all stats, if you want to have even a semblance of a normal characters power, you should be getting 2 stats each level. By level 20 you will have the equivalent stats of someone who point buys and gets normal stats.

Has your dm also considered that every stat increase level is a dead level? you don't get any class features or any stats so theres no point to getting to level 4.

If you wanted to you could multiclass as much as you wanted and there would be no downside as you weren't getting stat increases anyways. You could go barb 5, fighter 3, paladin 3, warlock 3,... etc. and be way stronger than someone who goes straight fighter.

I don't think it's a bad system and I wouldn't mind it but there are some kinks to work out.

Functionally it would be a greatsword with a +5 to damage (unless he gets a giant belt or something similar), so it's better than some weapon that adds a d6 but worse than one that adds 2d6. I would probably allow it, but change it to a static number increase or like you said a 3d6 weapon instead of doubling a modifier (in my experience multipliers on ability modifiers never end well)

It's 3.5, not 2.5. If he has the fighting style it would also be slightly more

>8 in all stats at 1st level. +1 to any stat at each level up, ignoring traditional score mod at lvls 4,8,etc (still get 1 stat point at those levels.)

>have to level up 12 times in order to have the stats of a peasant (flat 10s)

completely fucking stupid

Your DM sounds like the type of guy to post ads for his "indie game studio" on forums despite having no skills and no idea what the fuck he's doing

You can't extend command and it already gets extra targets for higher level slots. Good spell on its own though.
>What else can you do with cleric spells and metamagic?
Quicken spirit guardians so you can dodge on the same turn? Nothing jumps out at me.

Make him give something up to "activate it", or else it is just a slightly better greatsword

All while its powered up
>Has disadvantage on all attacks
>Everything has advantage on him
>He has to make a Concentration Check when he takes damage, and a fail means he has to use an extra action to activate it
>After use he rolls a d20 and if he gets 4 or less he dies

that sounds really cool actually. I'd say go for it. Even if it collapses there will still be others who want to go on and they might just make another server.

>How overpowered is a greatsword that allows it's wielder to double his STR/DEX mod on his attack, so a +5 mod would go to +10 on every hit.

+5 to hit is crazy. +5 to damage is very good but acceptable.

If it's +5 to hit, it needs to come with a serious drawback, like

>THE WIELDER HAS TO BE ON FIRE WHILE HE USES IT

R8 my shitty boss monster.

You still have enough strength to multiclass though, right?

A swords bard gets their level 10 Magical Secrets. I plan on being a melee Bard so I'm torn with my picks...

>Steel Wind Strike
>Counterspell
>Haste
>Divine Weapon
>Banishment
>Spiritual Guardians

Never mind about the 2 stats each level. My math was wrong.

8 int isn't even "retarded". 8 int is the guy you convince to smoke oregano in high school.

With that said, next time let him run in by himself, and then don't revive him

Find greater steed: dual wield lances and ride a griffon
Guardian of nature: advantage on all attacks and an extra 1d6 force damage for each attack

>We designed steel wind strike as a 5th-level spell specifically for the ranger. In development, we decided to extend it to the wizard for characters like bladesingers.

twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/930617849407664128

Shoulda said it better sorry, +5 to the actual damage, not +5 to his hit/accuracy
Idk how I feel about the rolling to not die thing, always felt crummy doing that, maybe instead if he fails he loses a majority of his STR and has to regain it but that sword sounds pretty good. Thanks!
Thanks for the input anons, gonna think it over what im gonna give him but it's probably not going to be his idea of the double modifier

I wonder if some spells and cantrips should have just been restricted to bladesinger in the first place. I feel like that would have prevented some issues

Just finished Out of the Abyss

Can someone whose more versed in Forgotten Realms lore than I am tell me what the setting implications of all the Demon Princes killing each other at the end is, on a cosmic level? Does that just send them all back to the Abyss, or did Orcus/Demogorgon etc all actually get killed off during that punch up

>we still haven't figured out that full caster classes accessing Paladin and Ranger spells many levels earlier is stupid
S Y S T E M M A S T E R Y

>We designed this spell for Rangers, who get it at Level 17
>Ehhh, Wizards should get it too because bladesingers and war magic.
>Wizards get 5th level spells at level 9
>Getting a spell designed for a class that would only get it in high-level play at half that.

Just when I thought they couldn't get any stupider.

Oh Jesus, Matt Mercer made another homebrew class

dmsguild.com/product/226513/The-Lingering-Soul--Class-PostDeath-Option

I don't want the griffon or pegasus as odd as that sounds, that feels like a Valor Bard. The Guardian of Nature spell does seem pretty cool, but I'm using dex and the advantage does not seem like enough when I could just haste myself and have even more ac.

8 is around 85-90 IQ, going by normal distributions

Really dysfunctional intelligence by modern standards lies somewhere in the 5 or 6 range.

>When assigning spells to classes, we are always trying to strike a balance between getting fun tools into as many hands as possible and preserving the specialness of a class.

twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/930619658599669760

The description kind of reminds me of ghostwalk

Need suggestions of monsters like the Voidling, with a darkness thematic, if it is from the void even better.

Planar entities (angels, demons, elementals, modrons) fucking around on the Prime Material are sent back to their home planes when slain; sometimes whole, depending on how permanently they were present in the PM, but usually they are discorporeated or exploded back on their home plane in some form for hundreds or thousands of years (if not longer) until they coalesce back into their normal / another form.

Slaying such an entity in its home plane will kill it for good, generally speaking, but powerful entities (like Orcus and Demogorgon) find ways to get around these rules all the time, otherwise they would have been super-killed long ago. It's telling that the most enduring punishments for many creatures like this have not been permanent death, but nigh-eternal imprisonment in some other plane.

With regard to OotA, all those guys are still totally alive and probably none the worse for wear back in their home planes within minutes of their defeat on Faerun.

It seems really neat, but not something I'd give to players who I am not confident in, cause it's fucking complex

I'd post the PDF but like a tard I used my real name on signup so my fucking name is watermarked to the PDF.

That said all you have to do is make an account to get it

!!

What a mess. Bladesingers already get PLENTY of goodies by virtue of being full fucking wizards. They get access to like 90% of all spells. So instead of making other classes more interesting, they achieve the opposite with decisions like this.

Bloated.

I think it would not be broken to allow half caster to have 9th level spell. less amount of low level one but still equal the same amount.
Spell slot
Full 22
Half 15
Warlock 12
Eldritch 11

t. Martial

It even warns you its a complicated class from the gate

Your homebrew sucks Matt

Anyone?

my issue with it is that it's a spell attack and not a weapon attack for each hit, which just makes no fucking sense to me.

The weapon is just a material component. The real attack is you summoning SICK ANIME BLADES WITH YOUR MIND WHILE NOTHING PERSONNELING ALL THOSE ORCS, BREH

THE BOOK OF WEEABOO FIGHTAN MAGIC IS JUST WEEABOO REGULAR MAGIC NOW, BITCHESSSSSSS

I've been homebrew buffing and passing magic items to the only fighter/martial in my group and he still can't keep with all the casters.

I feel bad about him. I have to be careful what to give out or else the casters will try to take it for themselves.

Any advice?

That's fucking stupid and I guarantee if it was ranger only they'd be weapon attacks instead.

I wish ToB classes were in 5e

Or they had just taken the swordsage and warblade and used features like theirs instead of the fighter and monk we got

How exactly is he falling behind?

Put a physical stats requirement on the item.

>falling behind

How?

Yes,Yes, and Yes. But see, that doesn't fit the DnD hate narrative that many anons are desperate to cling to. The kind of people that post "have you tried not playing DnD" to any RPG issue before even knowing it's DnD the OP is complaining about.

There's still a martial/caster disparity, but it's much less huge in 5e simply because Martials can actually be good at stuff beyond full-attack.

You don't have to give him items. You can give him his own special powers and techniques. Instead of getting handed some magical sword or amulet, he's taken into seclusion by the aging grandmaster and taught a deadly sword technique that causes fuckers to explode or flays all the flesh from their bones, or how to channel his secret fighting spirit so that he can wuxia jump (flight speed, must land at the end of a turn) or burrow through dirt.

Because it uses spell attacks instead of weapon attacks any wizard can use this easier than bladesingers AND rangers

Ultility really.

He can't get to enemy before the casters take them down.
He does good damage. But that single target while the other wipe the field
The last magic item was a mistystep necklace I gave the group. With the intent of my fighter getting up close and personal. That fucking shit went to the godmn gnome wizard that already had mistystep

Remove Bladesingers extra attack, now they get Booming Blade and GFB at level 5. No one else gets them.

Yeah. I personally like pulling from the Weeaboo Fightan Magic book for ideas. One of my villains used a heavily modified Nightmare Blade. He was suitably edgy enough to make it work.

High level spellcaster here. I want to build a huge, sprawling, multilayered castle and my own dungeon. What spells besides Mighty Fortress Mold Earth, Disintegrate, and Wall of Stone do I need to make it happen?

Should have made it a sword, shield or armor. Hell, even plate boots would have sent the message "this is for the heavy guy".

Guards and Wards, Glyph of Warding, immortality.

He's a fighter, that's hard to help with. Maybe special training is in order, extraordinary skills that are just shy of magic. And like others said, martial only enchanted equipment with stat requirements may be in order. Also setting up combats so that the other characters have a little more trouble might be appropriate.

>Fighter finds an old horse toy (Like this)
>Seems magical for some reason
>Once it gets ID'ed its a Soul of the Horse God (Fucking think of a name I'm not a DM)
>As an extra action he can mount the toy, transforming it into a horse
>He can move 2x the speed this turn, isn't effected by difficult terrain, cant cross deep bodies of water
>Requires #STR or #DEX or the rider is immediately bucked off

What's the best possible level 10 tank?

>Max dex/con
>2pali into 8 fighter
>Variant human and take defensive duelist
>Put everything into dex

Platemail + shield + defensive duelist reaction + shield of faith +defensive fighting style = 27 AC? or is it 28?

I'm pretty sure maxing out AC is better than Barb raging/hp stacking or druid animal transformations. Are there any other ways to tank?

I'd certainly prefer that, but I think the damage is already done in any case. I'll probably just be really restrictive with supplements from now on