"Generic" Magic/Mtg

I'd like to start a format that uses cards from Modern but plays like an intro deck. The purpose of this is to have decks that are more modular instead of linear in design. Here is one example:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/19-11-17-KKL-modern-black/

It has a 6-8-10-6-4-2 curve with 2 of each card. It has 2 instants per mana slot from 1-4, plus 2 sorcery/enchantment for slots 2 & 3. The rest are creatures. This means that as long as you have mana open you could potentially play a card on the opponents turn. No counters, searching libraries, tokens, EXTREMELY unfair cards, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q=linear modular mtg
store.steampowered.com/app/316010/Magic_Duels/
magic.bluebones.net/proxies/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Personally, I always had more fun playing the intro decks than any other kind of MTG. I loved the idea that with 30 cards of each color, you combine the two in order to make 60 card decks to play against each other.

I want WOTC to make a product like that, where every set they release a 30 card deck half for each color on the pie, that represents that color for that set. And maybe they release an additional deck that has all the multicolor cards you can shift in and out of the original deck halves.

Sometimes playing mono colored allows getting "deep" into a colors abilities, however, they could still be combined into a 2 color deck with each land producing whatever color of mana needed

You ok man? This is like the 5th time I've seen you make this exact same thread.

> No counters

babbymode

trash format

What is the supposed benefit of this? If I wanted oversimplified shit I could just dig up my old Portal cards and play with those.

Like, I literally don't get what you're hoping to accomplish here.

Long story short, I believe there is a certain pace to the game and manlands, charms, phyrexian mana, and commands upset the pace. Also, linear vs. modular.

>All cards that are legal in Modern are legal.
>Cards that aren't legal in Standard are restricted to one card per decklist.
>Standard legal commons are restricted to three per decklist.
>Standard legal uncommons are restricted to two per decklist.
>Standard legal rares and mythical are restricted to one per decklist.
>No more than two rares per decklist.

>buzzword vs. buzzword

Care to enlighten us what you mean with those then?

Care to define Linear and Modular the old pal

Because you're making no fucking sense at all & this is turning into faggotry

google.com/search?q=linear modular mtg

Basically the idea is a self contained card game, Magic: The Gathering; The Board Game, if you will. Specifically, that you know what is in your opponents deck, and that it is reasonably balanced (neither overpowered or underpowered).

Using chess as an example, the individual pieces do not do much, but require other pieces to work effectively, yet do not perform the same function every game. A bishop may be effective at pinning, but this is hardly as repetitious as a splinter twin combo. This is what was meant by linear versus modular design. The cards in a splinter twin deck are all there to perform a very specific function, and what I am suggesting is creating an established set of decks that are broader in scope.

Turn one thoughtseize has become a format defining play. This illustrates the idea of knowing what is in your opponents deck, but I would like to establish a more balanced format, with each deck having a broader use.

Linear: Decks that are focused around specifc card synergy dark ritual into abyssal specter

Modular: decks that are focused on bigger ideas (discard+creature removal)

I'm not concerned with standard.

I'm only using modern because I am familiar with it and because it stays true to the color pie.

I think you mean multiple play paths, for Modular.

Maybe you should just build a cube or your own theme decks instead of fucking around with some vaguely defined deckbuilding ruleset that nobody will care about.

>I am not interested, therefore no one else would be interested.

I over-analized WotC's Duel Deck/Event Deck/Clash Pack construction and came up with this:

>Rules:
>Legacy Banlist
>The deck must contain one copy of one Mythic.
>The deck must contain one copy of seven different Rares.
>The deck must contain two copies each of two different Uncommons.
>The deck must contain two copies each of six different Commons.
>The deck must contain one copy of eight different Uncommons.
>The deck may contain up to four common non-basic lands.
>The rest must be basic lands and single copies of different commons.
>The deck should have at least the pretense of a theme.
So far I''ve built 8 "Fantasy Duel Decks" and they're slightly better than real DDs by virtue of not being balanced against a single specific opponent, but they're in the sale realm of power levels and haven't been able to build anything too broken.

So basically what you want is decks that are just a pile of cards with no plan whatsoever?

Put some fucking work in and stop throwing around buzzwords then

Oh look an user did something useful

I'm trying to keep it simple.

Please. Let's not pretend for a second that this "format" has any people in the world that would play it other than OP himself.

At least if he makes a cube out of it, there's a chance somebody will play it with him. As a cube it would be just one more gimmick among others. But finding other people who would agree to a ludicrous set of deckbuilding rules like is going to be near impossible.

>>I am not interested, therefore no one else would be interested.

Oh, you are doing the troll? Haha, I didn't know peoples still does this!

c]:^)

>But finding other people who would agree to a ludicrous set of deckbuilding rules like (You) is going to be near impossible.
I don't expect people to follow my rules, I made a shitload of decks and lend them to my RP/board gaming pals who like magic enough to play it but not to buy into it.

I like the idea of building around gimmicks instead of specific combos. Its probably the reason why I can't build a competitive list to save my life, since I'd generally much rather build something like a tribal deck with a specific gimmick in mind "artifact weapons" or "life gain" or "flying" than build around specific "I win" combos.

Then again I'm a casual player.

Well the decks need to have some interaction or it basically wouldnt be playable. A modular deck would be like a normal chess set, whereas a linear deck would be all bishops.

>>I want to play Creatures: The Tappening

Sorry they printed cards that do things.

>I want to play Cardboard:The Ego-boosting.

Sorry you're a Spike.

I get that.
I'm saying a gimmick deck like "life gain" has cards that benefit from life gain, as well as cards that cause life gain.
I had a deck in Magic:Duels that was based around life gain. Running things like Cliffhaven Vampire, Drana's Emissary, Defiant Bloodlord, Serene Steward, Campaign of Vengeance, Lone Rider, Malakir Familiar etc.

The theme of the deck was life gain, and the cards synergized around that theme. But the planning for it focused on the theme, rather than any specific card interaction besides "benefits from life gain" or "causes life gain"

So basically a format where you can only play bland creatures and a couple of removal spells? And at the same time it has to be a somewhat weak deck but with no hard guideline of what a weak deck means?

Sounds like it would be pretty hard to make work and should probably be done in your own playgroup rather than on Veeky Forums so you can agree between each other on which cards are banned and which are legal. Also it sounds horribly boring but I guess that is subjective.

What he wants is likely what precons usually are, in that they usually have a theme that they're not optimized towards and two or three lesser themes to entice new players with possible ways to build the deck. So you have a white weenie deck, but rather than just being small creatures and anthems there's also some lifegain cards and some midrangey angels and possibly an equipment or aura subtheme.

How you would manage to enforce that though I have no idea.

Idk why you used the word gimmick but yeah that's what the 7th/8th/9th edition theme decks were based on...sky slam, speed scorch, heavy hitters etc

jesus fucking christ it's called a cube.

A cube is not an established set of decks, it's a pool to draft from.

OP I feel like you'd have more fun playing Heathstone than Magic. Hearthstone is a lot more of what you think card games are supposed to be played as.
My two cents on this idea you have of the game/deckbuilding is you aren't making the game simpler much less better, you're just pulling all the interesting parts out. I've made decks before specifically for beginners and they have more interaction and complicated ideas in them than what you've thrown together.

Also your scathing review of what you think competitive magic is is retarded.

Looks like we got a purist.

sounds lame as fuck

Hey, thanks, Portal seems to be about right

I made the mistake and tought my gf magic with modern decks.
So. Much. Shuffling.
Now I got one or two duel decks and I gotta say it is so much more fun.
Magic, like Richard Garfield wanted it to be.

Battle decks from cardkingdom are what magic could be

Sounds like the premise of the game Smash Up. Pick two 20-card decks, shuffle them together, and play.
I'm not a huge fan of the game itself, but I always thought that was a great compromise between choice and simplicity.

I prefer Magic Duels method.

Everything that's not banned in any format is legal.
In the case a card has been printed at multiple rarities the highest rarity is used.
Limited to 1 of any mythic
Limited to 2 of any rare
Limited to 3 of any uncommon
Limited to 4 of any common
These restrictions apply to lands as well.

With how WotC shoves all the value into rare and mythic it makes for a really fun game

What's magic duels?

store.steampowered.com/app/316010/Magic_Duels/

magic.bluebones.net/proxies/

Thanks Wizards of the Cost.

Now do this for Yugioh

So, because it's been printed at uncommon (what it should be), rare (in a few core sets), and mythic (in a From the Vault), one could only use a single Serra Angel?
Only one Ornithopter, too, thanks to Kaladesh Inventions. Same with Counterspell in Amonkhet Invocations. But Bolt still gets to be a 3-of.

I think "most recent printing counts" is probably the best way to handle multiple-rarity cards.

This is some really masturbatory shit here. You made decks (and god forbid a format) to please your aesthetic taste with disregard to any kind of deck optimisation.

>mono blue had cut soul, negate and mana leak

thought by no counters he meant +1/+1 and charge counters? Which, those are fine in small doses but if I need a damn abacus to keep track of your board it's gone too far.