Exalted General /exg/

What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: mengtzu.github.io/exalted/sakuya.html
. It’ll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums.

>Resources for Older Editions
pastebin.com/GihMPwV8

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Core and Splats
mediafire.com/folder/b54o6teut3fx6/Exalted_3e

>Arms of the Chosen Previews
dropbox.com/s/15xddoahzedtkwu/Arms of the Chosen Preview.docx?dl=0
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuam9lbVJBWFhJM2s/view

>Dragonblooded Charm Previews:
theonyxpath.com/dragon-blooded-charms-preview-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/the-elemental-aura-dragon-blooded-pt-2-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/signature-charms-dragon-blooded-pt-3-exalted/

>Other Ex3 Resources
pastebin.com/fG1mLMdu

>New NPCs and a Behemoth rework
pastebin.com/avv1ZCZp

>House Tepet Preview
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuS2pvcEF2TGlUYW8/view

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/1069023-ask-the-devs?p=1160407#post1160407
docs.google.com/document/d/1sG52v0QCij7-vI0Y3Mb2s2gusu8dfkzdUOLkmMshw3Q/edit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/1069023-ask-the-devs?p=1160407#post1160407

There was some discussion on DB Aspect markings before, so here's some dev clarificaton on the subject. It doesn't really clarify much, but apparently even high-Essence Dragon-Blooded are still recognizably human and not likely to be mistaken for elementals.

>They can be pretty intense,
they can be very inhuman that is at high breeding and essence

> but I don't think you're going to see inhuman-looking Dragon-Blooded very muc
h.
but most are not because most dragonblooded are not high breeding and/or essence
that is how I read that comment.
als certain charms might increase it like an earth aspect resistance charm giving you skin like rock

Valid interpretation, but stretching it a bit, I think.

This. It's a valid interpretation, but it's very much starting from the desired conclusion and trying to make the evidence support it instead of trying to figure out the state of affairs from the infromation given.

Will the Aspect Markings be permanent, or will they slough off at times? Cos the latter would explain the "[not] very much" part of seeing inhuman DB's.

Aspect shit was just a part of your Exaltion in previous editions. Once you became a DB, thats it, your dick grew scales and your farted fire dust.

Reading back, the Aspect Markings were all very subtle (change in body-type, tinted skin, small aura-type effects, smell, etc.)
Why was there a shift towards more visible markings?

Though I do find some love towards the idea of Charms giving (temp) Markings based on the Aspect.

P.S. Was Anima Flux replaced with Elemental Aura?

>Why was there a shift towards more visible markings?

Some people just like the idea of less human-looking Dragon-Blooded, I think. I know that was the stance of Kiyo Lappalainen, one of the old Exalted artists.

>P.S. Was Anima Flux replaced with Elemental Aura?

No, Elemental Aura is apparently a different mechanic related to the activation of certain DB charms; anima flux still exists.

what a cringe image

expect nothing less from a /pol/tard

meanwhile I'm like "Ivanka Heresy? when?" I wonder what the Primordial Truth is in this state of affairs?

the Primordial Truth?

A damaging revelation that would expose his entire message as built on a foundation of lies and turn once loyal allies against him?

I have no idea what that could be in this allegory.

Would it possible to incorporate the dragon reborn in exalted?

Solars are the closest analogue, which works fairly well I guess, given he's the most powerful.

So, now that Arms is out, what seems to be the best Artefacts out there ? I love Stormcaller, Gorgon and of course Karvara is pretty dope, but I'd like to know your opinions.

i wish there was a mechanic for going mad if you use too much power

Perhaps something where you reach your LIMIT and then you BREAK perhaps?

What happens when two equivalent points in creation and the underworld which have vastly different geography are joined in a shadowland? Do they mish mash into some sort of middle ground?

I still want to figure out some sort of system that actually makes Limit affect you outside of hitting 10 and going insane for a bit. The whole thing is Limit is stacking mental stress that eventually makes you erupt, it should be doing something before you get to 10.

Isn't the underworld more of a reflection of creation's landscape? I guess If it were ever going to be important I'd use the more narratively useful geography on a per instance basis.

That seems more like the territory of specific charms. Like a charm that relies on you being a magnanimous sun-king that gets less useful (or more sinister) as you gain limit.

whats the difference between awareness and perception other than that one is an attribute and the other an ability?

Perception is the raw senses and comprehension of sensory data.

Awareness is wariness and alertness, and trained to notice what your senses are telling you.

tl;dr: Perception is the quality of your senses, Awareness is knowing what they're picking up.

Perception is seeing the subtle twitch of the man you're gambling with, showing that his hand is bad.
Awareness is realizing that the subtle twitch is faked, and he's trying to make you think his hand is worse than it is.

the crazy is great curse. just compress a solar's lifespan to match and it's basically the same brainrot.
he gets turned into a raging gender steriotype just like how all the women turn into massive cunts when they learn magic. only the curse on males adds a bit of madness for seasoning(without it I'm pretty sure they'd still be sniffing eachother's asses and wrestling like wolves. they'd just be able to trust their senses and would tone down the paranoia).

the dragon reborn basically IS a solar already. of course you could incorporate him into exalted.

It shouldn't be a gimmick of just certain Charms.Currently Limit is a binary state, Limit Breaking or Not Limit Breaking. You go from completely fine to murdering everyone around you from one interaction. The only bit of Limit that matters it the last point of Limit.

I'd like something more like Clarity from Alchemicals where as you gain Limit you get penalties and bonuses in different things. Alchemicals growing more cold and logical as their Clarity increases, never outright hostile but willing to make the cold move to ensure survival of the people. This is a balancing game for Alchemicals, the bonuses can be pretty sweet and in some situations are necessary, but it comes at a cost.

Limit is supposed to be building mental stress and while the story of the guy who is completely fine and then just fucking snaps is a valid one, it shouldn't be the only one. The story of the man who grits his teeth after doing things he didn't want to do (Acting against his Intimacies) or witnessing something abhorrent to him (Limit Trigger) with slowly building stress, a shorter temper, lack of emotional control, etc should also exist.

I feel Limit would be interacting with a lot more if there was gradual shifts in it than as it is now where you can ignore Limit 0 to 9 and only give a shit at Limit 10.

You know those weird mind teasers where you're given a bunch of shapes and you gotta memorize as many as you can and then they change them and you have to remember which are changed and which aren't? (Or really just alot of mind benders in general, theres some show that did a really nice episode on how you can ignore major things when you aren't immediately focusing on them). That's perception. Awareness is the like, raw precision of your senses, you can see really hard to see things, hear really quiet things. Perception is how your brain process's and filters such information.

The devs left it up to the player to depict the stages of Limit between nothing and Break.

Most don't.

Other way around.

No

it probably does, but that'd just be rollplay. instead of just hitting 10 "ding, I go cry in the corner for a bit or slaughter random peasants til I suddenly snap out of it" rules as written, just pretend your character is starting to experience moodswings or feeling backed into a corner. rollplay some winging about impotence in the face of casual day to day evil by powerful people if your break is red rage of compassion, that way it's less jarring when you suddenly murder the local guild rep
they fail to communicate that and wrote the mechanic out poorly.

Yeah, which is why I'm wanting to put together some sort of mechanical incentive to get players to depict the stages of Limit. Limit Breaking resets you to base WP as an incentive which also informs how your character feels in universe. It's cathartic to Limit Break, you feel pretty great after it. Imagine you went from temp WP 5 to temp WP 9. That's the equivalent of 4 night's sleep, feels pretty good in universe.

Just spitballing, but perhaps something in miniature where at certain points you could RP out a lesser version of a Limit Break based upon how you gained your Limit or some such and be rewarded with WP. Another method could be using it like a Flaw and give you a better chance of gaining Solar XP.

Something like that, otherwise most players aren't going to roleplay it outside of Limit Breaking. Which honestly, may be the intended result, but that feels a bit jarring to me. In universe it should be much more suspicious or weird when happy-go-lucky Solar is chill as fuck from 0 to 9 Limit and then starts raging incoherently at everyone around him for an hour. Then he's back to normal for another 2 months.

clarity is a MUCH better written version, yes.

>Isn't the underworld more of a reflection of creation's landscape?
Yeah, but people in the underworld can still change it. Like some ghost can march into some forest somewhere, cut down a bunch of trees, make a big old clearing and then build a house there. Meanwhile the original trees in creation are all still around. See also the whole blessed isle and stygia overlapping and being very different.

I guess? Having an entire ground level system for that seems like a bit too much extra complexity for my tastes. Furthermore, I don't think I like the idea of giving a mechanical incentive to players for keep high levels of limit . I've always used limit as a sword of damocles over my players heads.

>Perception is the raw senses and comprehension of sensory data.
see, this is why I don't get it. People explain away how it's bundled under mental and in 2e wasn't among the senses lunars borrowed from their shapes because like the quoted answer it's trying to include not just how sharp your ears are but your ability to interpret what you're seeing...Which should really be in the ability half of that pair.
that bit isn't something you are it's something you do. But then the attribute ends up more narrow than the ability, and it's not worth splitting the ability up so it gets shoehorned weirdly by the fluff explanation.

resistance/stamina has a lot of charm overlap, but you can more clearly see conceptually what they were trying to do with that split because stamina does more than resist things.

luckily it doesn't matter, because the storyteller system is a bad enough fit for...Basically anything so that attribute+ability rolls rarely care which half provides what numbers.
I can't off the top of my head think of anything that checks your perception against a minimum before bringing in your awareness to simulate "no matter how good your training is, you're not noticing what you can't sense." nearsighted with high awareness and hawkeyes but oblivious both roll the same, so the attribute's description doesn't really matter.

>In universe

"demons be crazy /shrug"

I feel like it could have been worked into the "solar xp" system easily enough.

No those people are just wrong
Awareness is the acute senses part: See literally the entire solar awarness tree being about super boosting your senses to do impossible things like read a book thirty feet away in pitch dark.
None of it helps you actually process the information, thats in investigation, socialize, and so on.
Perception is the processing part, see read intentions being perception + socialize.

That's not actually terrible, as a matter of fact I like it.

You're overthinking this, user

also checked

Looks like Arms of the Chosen is Platinum on Drivethru.

Oh hey, finally, there it is.
I gotta say, arms actually sold my on evocations. The ones in the core were pretty good but I felt a bit skeptical, it seemed like there were only so many things you could do with them as they just seemed like more power ni a few specific ways. Arms showed off a lot of variety though, and artifacts centered around totally different things.

So how difficult is actually running Exalted 3e? I love the setting to death and have a few players who'd love to jump in and give it a try, but I won't lie and say that the idea of lining out stats for enemies and balancing encounters is intimidating.

It does take some getting use to I feel. Everything I learned for how to make encounters are explained in depth in my ST guide.

docs.google.com/document/d/1sG52v0QCij7-vI0Y3Mb2s2gusu8dfkzdUOLkmMshw3Q/edit

If you want to avoid super complex things, trying running some sessions as mortals where PC's exalt mid way. You can get used to the base combat system along with your players before kicking it into high gear.

Not saying I doubt it even a little, but where would I find info on it's sales?

Is it still as useless as a damage aura soakable by all but the weakest exalts?

The one in the corebook kind of is? Having anything with Hardness is enough to prevent it from affecting you. That said, the devs have mentioned it won't be exactly the same in the DB book itself, so it might have more teeth in that version.

Aura Flux aren't supposed to be used in battle. It's an environmental hazard that is a potent cinematic storytelling tool, but it isn't supposed to be mechanically powerful. That is true for all edition.

A fire aspected DB will start fires and burn wooden houses to the ground when he starts going, but it's only a real issue for mortals. Other Exalts don't care.

Trump blows up a Church and forces Mike Pence to kneel to Don Jr in the rubble then wonders why this turns Pence against him.

Limitbreak is being incapable of staying off twitter

Remember that being crashed sets Hardness to 0. It can get quite a bit of damage in if you ever get crashed while fighting a Brotherhood.

>but it isn't supposed to be mechanically powerful.

Well of course not, Dragonblooded have it.

Well meme'd my friend. But next time try to insert the word 'Solaroid' somewhere and then go to imply that the Scarlet Empress is an incompetent moron.

You know what, I'll do it for you.

Well of course not, the devs suck Solaroid cocks. The dragon-blooded only have a hold in the setting by pure plot armor. Look at the Scarlet Empress:

>Completely incompetent.
>Create an empire of backstabbing morons that don't work.
>When she disappears all go to shit.

She should have been killed thousand of years ago by all the 20 different kind of powerful people who want them dead, but no, can't have that.

Thanks Holden.

> She should have been killed thousand of years ago by all the 20 different kind of powerful people who want them dead, but no, can't have that.

In all fairness, the Scarlet Empress was directly aided by the Sidereals. Her Redness was in charge because old Chopstick Carjack himself was on her side.

The fucker is ESSENCE TEN. I think he's the most powerful Celestial Exalt out there.

So is there a hotline or an app or something I can call to get better shitposting advice? I'm partial to subject which piss off edition partisans.

That, actually makes a lot of sense both mechanically and lore-wise.

>One after the other, the Dragon-blooded strike at the Anathema.
>One after the other, the Dragon-blooded wear it down.
>One after the other, the Dragon-blooded force their Anima into flux.
>From one to the other, the Anathema is prevented from acting.
>From one to the other, the Anathema is burnt by fire, crushed by earth, whipped by air, smashed by water, impaled by wood.
>From one to the other, the Anathema is felled by a brotherhood of Dragons.

That actually happened last session in the DB game I'm running.

The Dragonbloods were fighting an Abyssal and their anima flux ended up being the thing that killed him.

The platinum medal is right there, if you're asking how many sales that equates to we don't know. I imagine it's not terribly much actually, since drive thru is actually a pretty small site all things considered and basically any major release from any company has at least gold. I'd like to hope it's selling amazing and opp is making plenty of money but there's no real way to know for certain

Was it a "death of a thousand cuts" where the Flux was incidental? Or was it literally each DB standing on a limb/the head whilst their Flux tore him apart?

I think it's more that if it had serious mechanical effects then DB's would basically get two attacks per turn in melee, one from their normal abilites and one from flux. I can't really think of any way to balance doing meaningful damage to someone by literally just standing next to them

The PCs had worn him down and done a ton of damage to the guy (he was heavy into Resistance) so the anima flux wasn't the largest source of damage but it was an unavoidable one and definitely led to him dying sooner than he would have. As long as they're in close range there's nothing he could to defend himself, he was crashed, it's not an attack so he couldn't Parry it.

The dragon reborn?

The combat is shit but it's nice otherwise

I think with the new Essence rules in 3e he's more like 7 or 8. Age doesn't equal power anymore.

is an eye of orabalus a summon-able usable 1cd? or are they just sort of part of him?

>The dragon reborn?

from Wheel of Time book series

Alright thanks for helping a retard out, I seriously couldn't find the reference. I'm with you, plus all the "ded gaem" fucks being wrong would fill me with a petty sort of glee.

>Don Jr
>not Barron

>Combat is shit
I mean, I guess specifically running it at first is. I'd never really had fun as a mortal in combat before 3e. In 3e combat is fun without charms, at least at first, charms do make it more interesting still.

>For every ten hours of operation, a warstrider requires a roll to perform maintenance. This takes a single scene to complete, and is an (Intelligence + Craft) roll at a base difficulty of 3. If the warstrider has taken enough damage to incur wound penalties, the penalty’s value is added to the difficulty. If a pilot chooses to press on without the required maintenance, the warstrider takes a single die of decisive damage, which cannot be prevented by any means.

So how often does this one die of damage get rolled? Once a day, hour scene? How long before a completely perfect Warstrider go without maintenance before becoming wholly inoperable?

Ask the dev thread m8

Sounds like you get 10 hours of operation and then you need to stop for maintenance, if you keep going after that 10 hour mark you have to roll for damage. So every 10 hours of operation you roll for damage if you don't decide to stop for maintenance.

If a pilot chooses to press on without the required maintenance, the warstrider takes a single die of decisive damage, which cannot be prevented by any means.

>which cannot be prevented by any means.

A warstrider whose damage track reaches Incapacitated is rendered completely inoperable. Restoring it to function requires either a superior repair project (for five-dot warstriders) or a legendary repair project (for Artifact N/A warstriders).

The book is quite clear on that, thanks. How often do you roll that die? He could strap in, press on, take the die, and go until the end of time before rolling again, can he?

>How long before a completely perfect Warstrider go without maintenance before becoming wholly inoperable?
However many times you need to roll a single die to fill its health track to full from nothing, multiplied by ten hours

So the die is rolled once every ten hours then?

I'm thinking of an artifact that could increase fertility and/or accelerate pregnancy and childgrowth (perfect for a Lunar making a beastman army). Any thoughts on what dot level it should be, etc.?

I would imagine it's not exactly on the nose but around 10 hours of operation the ST will probably say "hey you gotta stop for maintenance." If you don't want to stop or are too far from your support crew you'll say "nah fuck it I keep on trucking" and then that's when you'd roll your 1 die of damage.

yes. If warstrider is active for 150 hours you would roll one die 15 times 150/10 = 15

Yeah. Cut out the middle part describing the maintenance and you get
>For every ten hours of operation, a warstrider requires a roll to perform maintenance...If a pilot chooses to press on without the required maintenance, the warstrider takes a single die of decisive damage, which cannot be prevented by any means.
So ten hours pass and it needs maintenance. You don't do it and the die of damaga happens. Then the next ten hours pass, it needs maintenance again, so on and so on.

Why breed them your self if you can just use sorcery to grow them from trees?

But seriously you could make some kind of fertility idol. either a small one for personal use of a larger one which affects a larger population like some heartstones affect everything in 1 mile.

nice joke, the scarlet empress is clearly a first age solar

Note also that it's a die of damage, which can fail to roll a success. Combine that with the number of -0 health levels a warstrider has and really one or two missed maintenance periods aren't especially likely to fuck you over.

It's the sort of thing that's gonna build up because people won't really give a fuck about it, then when they finally have to decide to call it quits, a bunch of damage has stacked up forcing them to sit out for quite a bit.

>In all fairness, the Scarlet Empress was directly aided by the Sidereals. Her Redness was in charge because old Chopstick Carjack himself was on her side.
>The fucker is ESSENCE TEN. I think he's the most powerful Celestial Exalt out there.

Theres also a bunch of other powerful assholes out there who also would love to see her dead. Thats sort of the problem. She's basically an easily popped balloon in a world full of people made of needles, with only a few of the most overworked and understaffed splat trying to protect her at all times.

>nb4 buh buh muh astrology/fate reading
That shit literally never works in the fluff at all. The fluff is full of times the Sids fucked up reading or predicting things, and their own curse makes them take the wrong choices all the time. If you cut it entirely from the fluff Sidereals would actually look competent for once.

>plus all the "ded gaem" fucks being wrong would fill me with a petty sort of glee
I doubt anyone in the thread actually wants Exalted to die, but so much has cropped up to fuck 3E right in the ass with a dildo made of broken glass and lemon juice, it'll be a wonder if it pulls out of the nosedive and can survive past maybe releasing the DB book.

>For every ten hours of operation, a warstrider requires a roll to perform maintenance. This takes a single scene to complete, and is an (Intelligence + Craft) roll at a base difficulty of 3. If the warstrider has taken enough damage to incur wound penalties, the penalty’s value is added to the difficulty. If a pilot chooses to press on without the required maintenance, the warstrider takes a single die of decisive damage, which cannot be prevented by any means.
>FOR EVERY 10 HOURS
>EVERY
>10
>HOURS
>E V E R Y
>T E N
>H O U R S

>Why breed them your self if you can just use sorcery to grow them from trees?
I dunno, they look pretty well built for breeding to me.

If you're in a situation that takes longer to resolve than 10 hours with the aid of a Warstrider, you've got bigger problems than maintenance costs.

depending on where the place you're storing the damn thing is it might take more than ten hours just to get the warstrider to the spot where things need their asses kicked.

>If you're in a situation that takes longer to resolve than 10 hours with the aid of a Warstrider, you've got bigger problems than maintenance costs.
Transportation is a thing, user. Having to walk your giant robot around counts as operation.

>nb4 he really thinks any GM is just gonna let your transport it around for free via wagon or some shit, nevermind how big it is or how much attention it will attract either way

Anyone know if Drivethru is going to do any sales on the 3E core? I been wanting to pick up the book in paper, but fuck paying more than a goddamn videogame for that shit.

You're not supposed to walk the thing everywhere. It's slow as fucking shit, its got a top speed of like 10mph, carry it around some way.
>nevermind how big it is or how much attention it will attract either way
Oh I'm sorry, the giant robot fucking walking around is going to be inconspicuous as hell right?
It's part of the infrastructure to use one. You need advanced tools to repair and maintain it and probably a whole team of yeddim or something to pull it around. That's the price you pay for being able to incinerate the entirety of nexus with one evocation

>its got a top speed of like 10mph

I dunno, I kinda agree with the person on OPP forums who figured that the travel speed calculation for warstriders was a typo and that it should be over one hour rather than ten.

Not to my knowledge yet, but it could happen eventually.

good catch, Barron does seem more likely to one day right the Codex Astartes and try to fix the mess his father created

That's only every 10 hours of you actively using it, not it lying inactive somewhere

Yeah I know, thought that part was kinda implied, my bad. Warstriders, being artifacts, are imparishable when just laying around I would assume

pdf form is superior to print anyway

>pdf form is superior to print anyway

your smartphone or tablet drops on the floor accidentally
your book drops on the floor accidentally

>She's basically an easily popped balloon in a world full of people made of needles, with only a few of the most overworked and understaffed splat trying to protect her at all times.
Maybe we should wait for the Dragon-Blooded book to drop before making statements about how 'easily popped' and elder Dragon-Blooded is. Especially an elder Dragon-Blooded with the resources of the worldäs greatest empire at her disposal and the protection of the most powerful and influential living Exalt.