DICE GAME

Hello elegan/tg/entlemen and ca/tg/irls. For some time now I've been kicking around an idea for a siplified system for pnpttrpg that would utilize all those dang dice we all buy but rarely get to use. So I finally sat down and typed it out. Plz bully and critcize.

DICE GAME

DICE GAME IS A SIMPLE RULES LITE ROLL PLAYING ROLE PLAYING GAME SYSTEM. THE IDEA IS A ROLE PLAY AND PLAYER INFLUENCE HEAVY GAME FIT INTO A FAST AND TIGHT DICE ROLLING BASED SYSTEM. ITS ALL ABOUT DICE GUYS. WE HAVE ALL THESE STINKIN DICE SO, YOU KNOW, LETS FUCKIN ROLL 'EM.

Sounds amazing

CHARGEN IS VERY SIMPLE AND EASY. EACH PLAYER THINKS OF THEIR DESIRED CHARACTER, HIS OR HER STRENGTHS, WEAKNESSES, CLASS, RACE ETC. THEN PICKS 3 THINGS THEY ARE GOOD AT. NOW YOU'RE DONE. ALSO PROBABLY A NAME.

SKILLS

THESE THREE THINGS ARE YOUR BASE SKILLS THEY START AT d6. NEW SKILLS ARE AQUIRED EVERY 3 LEVELS AND BEGIN AT d4. ADDITIONALLY YOU MAY INCREASE THE DICE LEVEL FOR SOME OF YOUR SKILLS EVERY LEVEL. WHENEVER A PLAYER MAY RECIEVE A NEW SKILL THEY CAN INSTEAD INCREASE AN EXISTING SKILL BY 1 LEVEL. SKILL LEVEL IS REPRESENTED AS "d" AND AN EVEN NUMBER FROM 4 TO FUCKIN 1000.

EXAMPLE:
Skill
Friggin dice rolling d18
Eating potato chips d8
Doing my taxes d4

TO USE A SKILL SIMPLY TELL THE DM WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND ROLL ANY COMBINATION OF DICE THAT ADDS UP TO YOU SKILL LEVEL PLUS THE d20. SO IN THE EXAMPLE I WOULD ROLL 2d4+1d20 TO EAT SOME TATO CHIPS THEN 1d4+1d20 TO DO MY TAXES AND 3d4+1d6+1d20 TO ROLL ALL THOSE FRIGGIN DICE

> all those dang dice we all buy but rarely get to use

I want to say this is a pasta but you are actually posting more than one posts so I don't know what the fuck is going on.

2 INCREASES LVL 2-4
3 INCREASES LVL 5&6
4 INCREASES LVL 7&8
5 INCREASES LVL 9&10
6 INCREASES LVL 11-20
8 INCREASES LVL 21& UP

SKILLS CAN BE ANYTHING AND SHOULD BE APPLIED LIBERALLY. A TV REPARMAN COULD PROBABLY FIX A RADIO, A SCOUT CAN PROBABLY USE CAMOUFLAGE TO HIDE AND A HORSE SURGEON COULD PROBABLY PATCH UP A DEER. THEY CAN BE VAUGE OR SPECIFFIC, WHATEVER YOU WANT! BUT BE SURE TO WORK WITH THE DM. THIS IS A COLABORATIVE GAME.

CHALLENGES AND FIGHTING

ANYTIME A PC ATTEMPTS TO DO SOMETHING THAT AN NPC OR CREATURE OR GOD OR GHOST OR WHATEVER MAY OPPOSE THE DM ROLLS AGAINST THAT PC. OTHER PCS MAY CHOOSE TO HELP BY ROLLING AN APPROPRIATE SKILL DIE BUT NOT THE d20 AND ADDING THAT TO THE OPPOSED PCS ROLL.

THE DM SHOULD EITHER HAVE A PREMADE SET OF SKILLS TO ROLL FOR OR, IF THE DM IS LAZY, THEY COULD JUDGE THE DIFFICULTY OF THE OPPOSITION TO THE PC AND DECIDE WHAT DICE LEVEL TO ROLL.

EXAMPLE:
A PC SAYS HE WANTS TO USE HIS SKILL thieving d12 TO STEAL SOME GUYS HAT RIGHT OFF HIS HEAD WITHOUT HIM NOTICING AS HE WALKS DOWN THE STREET. THE DM EXPLAINS THAT IT IS BROAD DAYLIGHT THERE ARE PEOPLE AROUND AND THIS GUY IS NOT SLEEPWALKING AND ASKS THE PLAYER IF THEY ARE SURE. PC SAYS I TAKE THE DANG HAT! AND ROLLS 2d6+1d20. THE DM REASONING THAT THATS GONNA BE PRETTY TOUGH ROLLS 3d6+1d20. THE PLAYER ROLLS A 24 AND THE DM MANAGES TO ROLL A 4 AND SOMETIMES IT JUST COMES OUT LIKE THAT.

IF A PC IS TRYING TO, LETS SAY, FIND SOME TRACKS IN MUD OR MAKE A KILLER SANDWICH OR DO SOME PARKOR OR SOME SUCH NONSENSE THEN THAT PC ROLLS AGAINST A PRESET DC OR DICE CHALLENGE. CHALLENGE. AN EASY CHALLENGE IS HALF THE PCS SKILL DICE +10 MEDIUM IS +15 AND HARD IS +20. THESE ARE SUGGESTIONS AND DCS ARE LEFT TO THE DMS JUDGEMENT

THAT IS AWESOME BUT I DON'T KNOW IF WE SHOULD BE SHOUTING
ARE WE IN A HURRICANE OR SOMETHING?!?

Dear god is this for real

EXAMPLE:
A PC TELLS THE DM HE WANTS TO MAKE A KILLER SANDWICH WHILE EXPLORING SOME WEIRD SCIENCE MONSTER TOWER. THE DM REASONS THAT, SURE, PC HAS A SKILL THAT RELATES TO MAKING KILLER SANDWICHES AND HES IN A GOOD PLACE TO DO IT SO SURE, EASY DC. THE PC ROLLS HIS being a food themed Dr. Frankenstein d30 SKILL AGAINST AN EASY DC OF 25. HE ROLLS 3d10+1d20 AND GETS A TOTAL OF 37 AND HOLY CRAP ITS A SANDWICH THE SIZE OF A CORGI WITH RAZOR SHARP TEETH

IF A PC WANTS TO DO ANYTHING AND THEY DO NOT HAVE A RELEVANT SKILL TO ROLL THEY MAY ROLL 1d20+1d4+their level.

EXAMPLE:
PC GRONK WANT PLAY PEE-A-NO THINGY WAAAAAGGGHHH. GRONK IS LEVEL 12. HE WILL ROLL 1d20+1d4+12. GRONK GETS A TOTAL OF 28 AND GUYS, HES REALLY GOOD AT PIANO. HES A NATURAL.

IF A PC ROLLS THE MAXIMUM VALUE ON THEIR SKILL DICE THEY ROLL IT AGAIN AND ADD IT TO THE TOTAL. THIS COULD THEORETICALLY GO ON FOREVER.

WHEN ATTACKING OR DEFENDING THE PLAYER USES A SKILL DICE ROLL VS THE DMS ROLL FOR THE NPC THEY ARE FIGHTING. THE SKILL CAN BE A LOT OF THINGS SO LONG AS IT IS RELEVANT TO THE TYPE OF COMBAT OR SITUATION. COMBAT TURN ORDER IS BASED ON A d20 ROLL EACH PLAYER AND THE DM MAKES. IT IS POSSIBLE TO SIMPLY NARRATE THE TURN ORDER IF THE PLAYERS AMBUSH SOMEBODY OR ARE TAKEN OFF GUARD AS THE SLEEP. IF EITHER A PLAYER OR NPC FAILS WITH THE OPPOSED ROLL TO DEFEND THEMSELVES THE ATTACKER SCORES A STRIKE. PCS ARE ABLE TO TAKE 3 OR HALF THEIR LEVEL STRIKES WHICHEVER IS HIGHER. A SRIKE CAN BE REMOVED BY SCORING 3 STRIKES IN A ROW.

EXAMPLE:
PC IS THUNDERBRAND THE DWARVEN REAVER. HE IS LVL 5. HIS SKILLS ARE:
dwarven reaver form (combat with 2 battle axes success strikes twice) d12 -5
dwarven elite soldier d10
Intimidation d10
battlefield presence (nearby allies get +5 to attack and defense enemies get -5. Cannot attack this turn) d8

NPCS ARE DWARVEN SOLDIERS AND ORKS
DWARF SOLDIER LVL1
Soldiering d6
Field medicine d6
Shield wall (+2 to defense while in shield wall formation) d6

ORK LVL1
fightin d6
lootin d6
WAAAAGGGHH (if attacking with other orks nearby +2 to attack) d6

DM: Thunderbrand and the dwarven army march out to meet the savage ork horde. The soldiers form a shield wall as the orks are charging. They are about 50 feet away
PC: Thunderbrand uses his battlefield presence to bolster the dwarven ranks and takes a place in the middle of the formation
DM: ok, the ravenous greenskins smash into the dwarven lines. Player please roll for the dwarven defense
DM ROLLS 1d20+1d6-3 for the ork attack, total 13
PLAYER ROLLS 1d20+1d6+7 total 20
DM: the orks fail to break through the stalwart line of dwarves. Thunderbrand?
PC: I'll stand firm with my men and shout out some inspiring and terrifying battle cry using my battlefield presence
PLAYER ROLLS 1d20+1d8 total 16
DM ROLLS 1d20+1d6 total 17
DM: the solders around you bolster and are ready to strike but the orks seem unfazed
PC: poops
DM: now the dwarves, ready to press their attack step forward and open their shields revealing their grim warhammers. Player please roll for the dwarves
PLAYER ROLLS 1d20+1d6+5 total 19
DM ROLLS 1d20+1d6 total 15
PC: The dwarven line lashes out cleaving down the ork scum in front of them
DM: but more come still blood crazed and happy to die. Roll for the dwarves please
DM ROLLS 1d20+1d6+2 total 22
PLAYER ROLLS 1d20+1d6+5 total 18
DM:The orks see the opening left from the dwarf attack and lunge forward claws and teeth and spears bared and deadly
PC: Thunderbrand is half crazed and hungry for orkish black blood. He flies into the fray using his twin battleaxes to cut down his foes

REALLY? After one post?
No pasta here friend only hot fresh dice game
YEEEEESSSSS
ALSO YEEEESSSSSS

This is all I have for now. Plz respond

Thanks Gary!

Okay op I'm on board, but only if you replace all of the +2s with +1d4

THAT IS A GOOD IDEA

I AM SO SORRY OP, BUT I AM A RETARD AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE CHALLENGE RULES. DOES THE DM THINK OF A SPECIFIC NUMBER TO BEAT OR THE DM HAS TO BEAT THE PLAYER'S DICE ROLL???

And also why should they roll 1d20+LVL+1d4 if they don't have the skill? Wouldn't it be better without the 1d4?

Sounds good to me.

>A STRIKE CAN BE REMOVED BY SCORING 3 STRIKES IN A ROW.
I really like this.

I think the dm sets the dc by choosing a dice that fits the difficulty. Like an easy task the dc is 1d10 but a difficult task is 2d10

Oh ok. Thanks

PLAYER HAS TO BEAT A VALUE DETERMINED BY THE DM
THE THINKING WAS MORE DICE PLZ BUT THE LVL WAS ADDED THINKING THAT A MORE POWERFUL/ COMPETENT PERSON COULD WING IT EASIER. I DO LIKE THE IDEA OF GETTING RID OF THE D4 BECAUSE AS IT IS AN UNTRAINED SKILL IS JUST AS GOOD AS A NEW SKILL
Me to brother! Get back to the fight if you are super rad

If you'd want to make it even lighter, just make the players choose a couple of skills to be proficient in, but their profiency bonus is their level except converted to dice. A lvl 1 character has 1d4 bonus, lvl 2 1d6 etc

BUT WOULDNT THAT MEAN LESS DICE?

I mean you could also just play Shadowrun, I guess?

LOTTA DICE IN SHADOW RUN? I've never played...

A SHIT LOAD OF d6s

I DO LIKE d6s. BUT THERE ARE SO MANY OTHERS!!!

Big problem with the untrained skills getting a flat value is that a low-level skill the character is proficient in will be worse than the skill they don't have. 1d6+1d20 gives us a value range of 2-26, avg 14, while 1d20+6 will be a flat 8-26, avg 17. You get consistently higher rolls on average, and with your "skill every 3 levels" it sounds like we'll be seeing high level characters in a lot of situations.

Other than that it seems solid, nice and rules lite.

I SEE YOUR POINT

HOW ABOUT UNTRAINED SKILLS GET +2 OR 1 HALF THEIR LEVEL, WHICHEVER IS HIGHER

WAIT. I CAN DO BETTER. I NEEEEEDDS MORE ROLLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS ROLL 1d20+two rolls of 1d4 use the worse roll

Thank you all for your participation and input. I love you all and I want to gift you my finest phone wallpaper

Fuck yeah, that's perfect, seeing as skills start at d4s. Obviously playtesting is the best way to see what tweaks it needs, do that. Good luck with the system!

and if you need playtesters you know where to come

Really?