I'm new to the Warhammer lore, beyond what I've read on the wiki and the 14d memewiki. Question...

I'm new to the Warhammer lore, beyond what I've read on the wiki and the 14d memewiki. Question. Why do the Dark Elves use 'cold ones' or dinosaurs or whatever? Shouldn't they be using some sort of chaos shit? Why dinosaurs? don't lizardmen have that covered?

Other urls found in this thread:

warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Khaine
solegends.com/citboxes/ss3anightelves/index.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The Lizardmen are a relatively new army. I seem to remember them being the cool new thing around 2000. Dark Elves had them first. Lorewise I'm pretty sure they steal them from the Lizardmen.

Dark Elves are not a chaos faction for most part. They also use Cold Ones because they are native to not-America they live in while cold climate makes keeping horses difficult. Also if you could ride a fucking dinosaur into battle, why wouldn't you?

Dark Elves had Cold Ones before Lizardmen existed as a faction. Also, Dark Elves aren't a Chaos faction, so no, they shouldn't have Chaos mounts.

> Dark Elves
> Do they Chaos.

Oh God, we're opening a big can of worms here.

Cole Ones are easy, both the Delves and the Lizardmen live on the same continent.

>Oh God, we're opening a big can of worms here
To be honest, I'm always confused about this as well. Yes, Khaine is the main cult, but everybody should have noticed how much of a chaos worshipper Morathi is by now.

They use Cold Ones because they're the horse equivalent of the New World that they moved into. Sure they brought their own horses from Ulthuan, but in the early pioneer themes there probably weren't so many, and vicious reptiles were the perfect fit for Druchii tastes anyway.

so wait they lurve Khaine but aren't chaos?

Khaine isn't Khorne.

im a dickhead

who is khaine

elf-khorne

>who is khaine
Mate, read at least some wiki.
warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Khaine

This is the state of the oldhammerfags...Lizardmen were introduced as proper army with their own book in mid-90's. They had cold ones right from the start.

As to why? because cold ones exist both in the north and south continents of the "not-americas" where lizardmen and delfs live.

Not that guy but so?
Dark elves were in first edition and had cold ones from the start of the game in 1983, a decade before Lizardmen even existed.

>that helmet
>this is totally not Khorne u gaiz

Correct, its different, nice observation

this is Khaine's Avatar from 40k. Notice somtehing about the headdress?

Yeah, it's hairy

I'll get back once I've gone through the 1st-3rd Edition books. But right off the top of my head, it might have stemmed from the Melnibonéan links with dragons (the not-Elves of Melniboné from Michael Moorcock's Elric books were a big influence on both Dark Elves and High Elves in Warhammer due to Citadel having an Eternal Champion license in the 80s)

>why dinosaurs
because they are vicious killing machines in their own right

they capture them in the underground sea that leads to lustria (the place with lizardmen and bigger dinosaurs)

Yeah. So, looking through 1st Ed, memory refreshes itself. The Cold Ones first appear as Giant Riding Reptile and would first be given their modern name in the Book of Battalions (unless there's a White Dwarf article that predates it- I'm just going with the books here). TBoB is also the earliest source of the Slann, and in it, Kroxigore are Slann Cold One lancers. Lizardmen are cave-dwellers in the first few editions, which stems from Warhammer's origin as a vehicle for selling tons of D&D miniatures. Hell, the first few editions had Gnomes!

Second Edition expands on the Lizardmen and the larger Troglodytes, which would both become allies to the Slann and evolve into the Lizardmen army (with Lizardmen becoming Skinks).

Back to Dark Elves and Cold Ones. 2nd Ed states that they are native to underground caverns of the New World and Lustria and available to Dark Elves, Amazons, Lizardmen and Slann.

In first Ed., Dark Elves are known as Night Elves and "are evil perverted Elves [...] they Hate other Elves."

You can see the boxed set referred to in the rules here:
solegends.com/citboxes/ss3anightelves/index.htm

The Dark Elves in 2nd Ed. have the basic backbone of their future selves from Witch Elves to Cold One riders and their base of operation being the New World.

Morathi as chaos worshiper was rectoned. Now she serves Khaine and elven goddes of sorcery and elven godess of lust, not chaos.