How to convicne the player not to multiclass?

I'm running a Star Wars game, a party of three jedi and a soldier. It all went pretty swimmingly, until the soldier got this crazy idea that he's underpowered and underpeforming, and that he needs to multiclass into a jedi to be competent.

Normally I would say yes - people becoming the jedi late in their life is not unknown - but nearly in the beginning of the campaign, back when he was going for the "badass muggle" thing, there was this important scene, where he got his midichlorians counted, and he didn't have any.
Since you can't be a jedi without midichlorians, I can't just let him multiclass. He's begging me to just handwave this moment away and pretend like he always had midichlorians, but I can't just do that. That would be stupid.

How do I tell him "no"?

The right answer is "you don't".

A single scene at the beginning of the campaign is more important to you than your player having fun? That's a dick move.

The DM decides a lot of things, but what class to play is a decision up to the player, barring that class being generally banned.
Since your party already has 3 jedi the class is obviously not banned.

Congratulations, you're the asshole DM.

Give him situations in which he can perform. Have some anti jedi shit that makes everyone but him useless, play up to his skills, attack them with enemies they can't just run up to and stab, etc

You can have his "jedi abilities" be just a manifestation of his badass normalitude.

have you tried banning the jedi class and opening the paths to all classes so they have to actually think about their progression besides "i take the best class in the game"

Mixing jedi and non-jedi has never, ever been a good idea, because there is no limit on what jedi can do most of the time. They can out soldier the soldier by just getting some ranged force powers and deflection tricks in most systems.
You shouldn't have allowed him to not be a jedi in the first place.

What? How?

>midichlorians
What is this, some sort of fan canon of yours? Shit fanfic tbqh, it would be fucking retarded if force aptitude could show up on a blood test.

By not running a class-based system.

You should not ruin the game for your player just because of one scene. Have you concidered some kind of a force artifact that could boost the characters force sensitivity if you must have an in-universe reason ? Like the Valley of the Jedi from Jedi Knight series.

Then you'd have to stop one or more of the jedi from hogging it to make themselves more jedi-y.

One time use or only works on a certain genotype and WHAT A COINCIDENCE Muggle dude is the only guy it works on!

>there was this important scene, where he got his midichlorians counted, and he didn't have any.
>Since you can't be a jedi without midichlorians, I can't just let him multiclass.
Blood test was faulty.
Bam! Problem solved.

>How do I tell him "no"?

Say "no". Alternatively, elaborate on how fucking retarded a late-game retcon of an early-game scene is, and try and convince him that he doesn't need Space Wizard powers to be useful.

>this crazy idea that he's underpowered and underpeforming
Important note: Is this really just a wild hair that got up his ass, or is he really underperforming? If the former, he's probably not going to be pleased no matter what you let him take and will simply find another thing to bitch about later. If the latter, maybe help him out with his build and throw some anti-Jedi shit at the party that he's best equipped to handle, like says. A situation similar to Shadowrun's Background Count comes to mind, wherein every Force-sensitive is crippled by tainted energy but the non-Force-sensitive is walking around cool as a clam.

Blood test was SABOTAGED. Turn it into a plot hook.

Even if you let him multiclass, he'll still under perform because he will have less jedi levels than everyone else

You, Sir, are a better GM than myself.

Basically, you made this problem when you allowed a mixed party.

It will still be a massive improvement, though. You can NEVER go wrong with a jedi multiclass, and very often it's a huge upgrade over whatever other options you have.

lots of nat20s or something

Been there in SAGA
>Make raged soldier/scout
>120% cambats are hyperclose combats in where Jedi outperformed

System? because depending on the system he might be very well underperforming, in D20 you had to optimize HARD to be as good as a meh jedi. Similar happened in saga, sure, an optimized Jedi isn't much better than an optimized soldier, but a meh Jedi is billion times better than a meh soldier, they hace the starting point higher than the rest

if OP isn't using WEG of Dogs in the Vineyard they're doing it wrong

but they're clearly doing a wotc D20 shite

If in doubt, have him fall into a Vergence, have a whole bunch of crazy visions and what seems like an adventure in other land, then emerge to find out he's been in there for two weeks and is force sensitive now

Man good answer.

>Since you can't be a jedi without midichlorians, I can't just let him multiclass
Everybody and everything has midichlorians, everybody, if you don't you don't exist, even fucking rocks and trees have midichlorians.

If you're going to give him a "inlore" explanation at least learn the lore.

THIS is how you do it, people

Agreed, what an absurd idea. What kind of moron would come up with that.

Oh man, well done.

>where he got his midichlorians counted
Fuck you for even acknowledging that those exist.

This. Excellent.

What system are you using?
If it's d20/Saga let him, the normal/force-user gulf is too fucking huge for him to be relevant.

If it's FFG again let him, that's what Force-Sensitive Exile/Emergent are for.
tl;dr: stop being a fun-hating faggot and let him do Force things

You tell him "no" using mouth words. Then you explain why. Then it's up to him to decide whether he wants to keep playing with you or not.

Alternatively there's a lot of ways you can fix that blood test scene. Alter the lore as much as you want, because fuck it, you're the GM.

>The blood test was sabotaged, as an excellent user pointed out
>The blood test never actually happened, he was implanted false memories
>The guy's midichlorians went undetected because they are damaged or mutated; if he can find a cure, he's all set
>Super snowflake mode: Midichlorians are just one source of Force connection. This guy has a different one, as of yet undiscovered, and he's going to be hunted down to be dissected if anyone finds out.

Well played

He takes force powers that aren't direct and or overt.

Like, you know how nobody noticed Anakin was Jedi material and just thought he had really good reflexes? Like that, in reverse.

You give him the mechanics of force powers, but say he's Just That Good™.

>Congratulations, you're the asshole DM.

So a DM who does not hand over a pony when a player wants a pony is an "asshole DM"?

The only saving grace of the WEG SW is that Jedi are sometimes more OP in other games. Otherwise, it's pretty damn crappy, like all the WEG d6 systems. They very, very fast veer into characters/NPCs just having insurmountable numerical advantages over each-other.

it'd have to be someone who knew he was force sensitive, would it be his parents for fear of his own well being? maybe a commanding officer/rival soldier who has his corrupt fingers everywhere and hates this man for all he is. this can go many many places

I dunno what era OP's game is in but it could even be a doctor who knows (enough of) what the Empire's doing to Force Sensitives and falsified the records for his own safety. There's lots of shit you can do with this one hook.

well, if the rest of the party already has racehorses. then yes, he is an "asshole DM"
context is everything.

OP really if hes not a Jedi than he probably is underpowered and underperforming. Step it up and allow him to do things on par with the mary sue Jedi in your party or let him multiclass into a jedi so he can be a mary sue too.