/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
Making Battletech history, one diarrhea-causing meal at a time, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-11-24 - Still getting worked on & now has 20738 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2017-09-16!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/z2vPYqUu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Every state has soldiers with cybernetics, but for most it's about replacing damaged body parts and not LARPing Adam Jensen: Wall Puncher.

Depending on the factions and the eras, of course.

FWL in the early lore has them distrusting of anyone with bionics, but post jihad, that spite is all over the sphere. Not sure if it's in clan space, as well.

Out of Curiousity for the (most recent) lore buffs, here.

We've been left hanging for quite a while in regards to progressing the canon, but there are more than a few people very vocal about the upcoming IlClan product.

The thing is, though I did grab the Era Report, there doesn't seem to be much out there as far as lore sourcebooks go for the Catalyst Dark Age period. What are the events that lead up to the upcoming IlClan book that has everyone expecting it to happen, and where can they be read?

Reminder to NEA to not die on the operating table and to finish the Tacqito mini.

The information is scattered through the TRs for 3145 and 3150.

The biggest stuff is:

-RotS has dropped the wall and is counter-attacking under Stone.
-Tensions are mounting between the Falcons and Horses, and may result in those two going to war, thereby saving the Lyrans.
-Alaric Ward has laid claim to the Archonship but hasn't done anything about it.
-Julian Davion spanked the Capellans so hard they gave up on attacking the Suns and have gone after the RotS instead. He is preparing to counter-attack the Dracs.
-Drac troops are getting exhausted, most of the heavy lifting across their advance was done by the Dragoons, and the Coordinator is getting ready to square off against the Kanrei and his Black Dragon supporters.
-Ghost Bears have built a new super ship and are getting pissy with the Dracs.

The diorama with Alaric fighting Stone has been declared non-canon, or the result of the fight was, or something. I think both of them at one stage or another.

Clanners don't really give a shit unless it's EI, which many see as cheating. Replacing limbs or going full Robo Cop is fine as long as those parts were lost in battle.

IIRC Clanners actually prefer prosthetics over the regrown limbs which they never lost the tech for simply because there's less downtime. Can't get HONOR in the hospital.

They prefer vat-grown to cyber, actually. Cyber is used on low-rankers (they could have done more for Trent if they'd wanted to, meanwhile Star Colonel Paul Moon gets a new leg).

There does seem to be a limit to what they can do with biotech. Regrowing limbs, organs, and repairing spines seems easy enough but when you get to Kael Pershaw levels of battle damage cyber is the easiest option.

Yeah, but even clanners have an upper limit if Kael Pershaw is any indication.

The upper limit appears to be just below brains in jars though. Pershaw was pretty much Robocop.

I've typically been collecting and assembling battletech miniatures that I either have always enjoyed or are a part of a faction I was interested in. Out of the FRR, Liao, Kurita, Ghost Bear or Clan Coyote which one would most fitting to be fielding Marauders?

Other than that I also have a Falconer that doesn't really fit with anything I already have faction wise. Should I just give it a mercenary paint job and call it a day?

IS factions are more likely. Of those the Capellans have a factory for them. The Dracs preferred the Warhammer for dual PPC heavies and the FRR was running mostly Grand Dragons and Crusaders or Thunderbolts.

>Out of the FRR, Liao, Kurita, Ghost Bear or Clan Coyote which one would most fitting to be fielding Marauders?

FRR or Liao.

FRR because they're near to a MAD production plant (on Carlisle, IIRC), and Liao because they can buy MADs from Taurians or Canopians (both of which get MADs pretty regularly).

Marauder's aren't particularly common in general, though. "Thinly but relatively evenly spread" is how I've heard it described.

The Falconer goes easily with FRR (bought from FedCom) or Liao or Kurita (salvage from FedCom).

>Should I just give it a mercenary paint job and call it a day?
Can't beat good old camo for faction independent paintjobs.

>-RotS has dropped the wall and is counter-attacking under Stone.

Counter-attacking who? The Cappies? Sounds like more Rooster wankery. And here I thought they done with it.
>-Tensions are mounting between the Falcons and Horses, and may result in those two going to war, thereby saving the Lyrans.

So Another Refusal War 2.0 then.

>-Alaric Ward has laid claim to the Archonship but hasn't done anything about it.

Ok that's new one
>-Julian Davion spanked the Capellans so hard they gave up on attacking the Suns and have gone after the RotS instead. He is preparing to counter-attack the Dracs.

Cappies get the shit slapped in? What sort of wierd ass Mirrorverse is that from.
>-Drac troops are getting exhausted, most of the heavy lifting across their advance was done by the Dragoons, and the Coordinator is getting ready to square off against the Kanrei and his Black Dragon supporters.

Again, this is what 3rd or 4th time Coordinator vs BDS, it will end up BDS getting slaughtered yet again, but I bet 1 dollar that is not the last we hear about them. Wait another Draconis Combine book and they are still being retards and dragging whole Combine down to their level.

>-Ghost Bears have built a new super ship and are getting pissy with the Dracs.

Another one? Haven't they got like 4 Plot Ships from Jihad still active.

So CGL can't write original fluff piece if it kicked them ass, almost all of this is rehashing what has happened before just DA stamped on.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate the responses. I always forget to ask whenever I browse /btg/

>Of those the Capellans have a factory for them.
Depends on if he means unseen or reseen, as the Dracs did capture Quentin in 3039.

Sunder, Dragon, Jenner, Panther, Chimera

>Counter-attacking who? The Cappies? Sounds like more Rooster wankery. And here I thought they done with it.

I think the Caps will be their favoured target, but I don't recall much being spelled out beyond Stone having gone on the front foot. I suspect this will be part of what destabilises the Dracs, since the Bears are massive Stoners and would gladly start a beef for him.

>So Another Refusal War 2.0 then.

Maybe, but the Falcons are larger, more powerful, and more battle-hardened. If they can get rid of the Krazy Khan they have a good chance to curb-stomp the Horses, who lost a lot of troops acting as meat shields for the Falcons. Neither really have a patron voice these days so who knows?

>Cappies get the shit slapped in? What sort of wierd ass Mirrorverse is that from.

He took New Syrtis and maybe some other worlds from the Capellans so they're still up on the scoreboard if you take territory exchange into account. However, Julian's return has strengthened the resolve of troops in the region and the RotS became a much juicier target, so the Capellans consoled themselves with their gains and went after easier prey.

>Again, this is what 3rd or 4th time Coordinator vs BDS, it will end up BDS getting slaughtered yet again, but I bet 1 dollar that is not the last we hear about them. Wait another Draconis Combine book and they are still being retards and dragging whole Combine down to their level.

BDS have more loyal troops than the Co-ordinator and have infiltrated the intel arm(s) of the Combine a lot more heavily. A BDS victory isn't out of the question, especially if they want to make sure the Suns can push them back.

>Another one? Haven't they got like 4 Plot Ships from Jihad still active.

Just one. Their new Leviathan III is even more powerful than that because obviously it would be.

>So CGL can't write original fluff piece if it kicked them ass, almost all of this is rehashing what has happened before just DA stamped on.

Ding ding ding.

Talking about shit lore, if you guys would do a reboot, what about warships? My plan for the AU was 1 Capital Ship (a battleship or Dreadnaugth) for each core IS faction, but with minor warships/pocket warships to be produced (because Spaaaace fights are cool and all), because some corvettes/frigates than carry pocket warships and acting as proper capital ships would smack as a serious threat to any spheroid polity.
But I don't know shit about aero or how retarded it could end.

I would have it as the IS proper never had warships, only the SLDF. And the Exodus fleet took all of them away but a few which defected to the Houses. These were all lost or crippled in the early Succession Wars.

Then the clans show up with vintage Warships (no upgrades). Comstar unmothballs O'Neil and Titan while the states in the invasion corridor study crippled clan ships and their own ancient wrecks for secrets of how to build their own. The Combine shares this info with the FWL for material support in the invasion while the Fedcom is left to their own devices. By 3058, the first new IS warships are leaving the slips, but they're old SLDF designs like a bunch of the rebirthed 3050's SLDF mech lines.

Around the Fedcom Civil War you would see the first homegrown IS warships which really start to lean into the meta crunch of less cargo, more armor, guns and missile screens.

I can work with that. Perhaps not the IS never had warships, but they had fewer and they destroyed them all between the First and second SW (more or less like canon), with only some ships like mobile yards alive to repair Jumpships.
So instead of proper warships, DropShip/pocket warship combat with aerospace fighters to cover them. So if you lose some in action it's a disaster, but one you can recover from.

Remember the difference between an Assault Dropship and a Pocket Warship is just that the dropship mounts capital weapons. In the old 3rd War material, Assault Dropships like the Achilles were often referred to as "Warships" because they were the biggest meanest things in the Successor State navies.

It's largely a game mechanics problem though. ASF+AD is all similar range as Aerotech is designed. Capital weapons got fuckhuge range that makes them ridiculously effective in large ship combat. So it kind of goes back to the fucked up way Warships were originally implemented in Aerotech versus the original game. Kinda like how Clantech was such a huge jump in 1989 over grogtech that they didn't make anything noticeably better for over twenty years. Capital Weapons are the Clantech of Aero. And that's saying something when you got Clantech in Aero.

Squadron combat is currently broken because it uses the new infantry rules as a base. Used to be you applied full weapon damage to a group, now it applies to just a set number of men/fighters. This wouldn't be a problem if you had similar hard counters in aero like you do for infantry like AOE weapons/infernos/flamers though point defense arrays are kind of intended to do that.

All of these are perfect. The less warships in the game, the better. They're overpowered, pull focus away from the ground game, and just serve for fans to jack off to about whose warships are bigger.

I will say that these proposals don't really go far enough. Aerospace fighters shouldn't really exist as they do either. If you've ever played a ground game with ASF support, you'd understand; they make fielding ground forces completely pointless. At most, the current rules for fighters should be the ones used for ASFs, very definitely including the armor limitations. In a game about Mechs, air support should be minimal and ineffective at best, and preferably eliminated completely.

/btg/ challenge:

Assign each of these Dracs a mech.

Hardmode: something besides Panthers and Dragons/Grand Dragons

all of them get tacos

from left to right:
>Panther, Panther, Panther, Panther, Panther
>Hardmode
Do you doubt the will of the Dragon?

>Dracs
>women
>assigned a Mech

Please. Women are there to be pleasure for real Draconis Mechwarriors, not to have valuable Property of the Dragon destroyed by playing at being Mechwarriors. They get nothing but dickings, and they'll thank our Heroes of the Combine for it.

>this is canon. Women in the Combine don't get to be Mechwarriors unless they have some sort of special connection to power, like being the Coordinator's girlfriend. See also the experiences of Eleanor "Lainie" Shimazu from the Callebros novels.
>This is some of the only fluff in Battletech that makes sense.

I see, so aero need to be revisated, what a pity I really like the Space branch of BT too, the warships, aerofighters and drop ships are very cool. Do you think it can be salvaged changing a few things?I could use a generic system for space combat like full thrust too if it's too borked.

From Left to Right.
Gordita,Burrito, Taquito, Empanada and Bellgrande meximechs.

think there are texmex variants?

Taurian refits.

Not him, but FWIW he's right about ASFs breaking the space combat rules and WSes potentially breaking the setting if you get too many of them.

It's very easy to shoot down transports and other than a WS the only thing that can reliably threaten another WS is nukes. People tend not to like nukes because the odds of one-shots are high, unless you're playing Leviathans which among their many sins are nuke-proof from AMS *and* able to survive the damage from even a Peacemaker (the largest nuke) on top of that.

For ship-to-ship combat the rules are pretty good, especially when you're playing with all the options.

Fixing ASF against larger vessels would, I think, require rounding all weapons down instead of up; anything less than 10 points of damage at normal scale needs to bounce harmlessly off larger vessels to give them the ability to fight back. At present it's easy to build Squadrons that can dump 20-30 Capital damage out per turn from their weapons alone, with another several dozen points from underslung RL-10 packs.

Fixing the problem of WSes is a much thornier issue. You have to use handwaving for that, since ground-based capital weapon facilities can slaughter the DropShips that transport troops even more easily than they can kill WSes. You can either have a lot of WSes or ground combat can be the focus of the game.

I see, my idea was for Comstar being the only one in the IS with any capable warship army, than use to protect the worlds around terra and bully the IS big factions when they need to (apart of the other Comstar sneaky tactics I mean).
I'm liking more and more the idea of little raiding fleets of pocket-warships/dropships made for aerospace combat, so there are somewhat big Space battles, do you think that's the way to go? Or is better to drop WarShip weapons in dropships?

Sub-Capital weapons and Capital Missiles on DropShips work pretty well unless you're min-maxing Castrum style. Fire Control penalties start to bite quickly and AMS should have proliferated a lot faster.

I wouldn't give them access to full-on NACs, N-PPCs, or NLs though as those get around fire control restrictions pretty fast. If I was really pressed I might allow a single light weapon (NAC/10, L/M-NPPC, up to 2 NLs) as a spinal mount, otherwise you'll get trouble.

If you want to see what ComStar could do you can have a look at the article I wrote on the Dante, here: pastebin.com/z2vPYqUu

The TL;DR of it is that even a single Dante could (as long as you have enough ASF to cover it) take out a whole invasion force by itself. ComStar having them openly is probably asking for more trouble than they really want, but keeping them as aces in the hole definitely works.

Fewer

Nice, I like that, they could be the "face" of comstar, with other big ships mothballed or being hangar queens because why field them when cheaper vessels would do the trick.
Also I really like the idea of the limited/Spinal mount naval weapons, it screams traveller to me and I really like that setting too.
Part of what I wanted to do was to make all the factions a bit like the FWL during the jihad, in the way than sub-cultures and self govern are way more pronounced. Also tech differences more noticable in the five big houses holdings, I'm thinking the differences with each fleet doctrine, like the Davion fleet would use Pocket warships with Naval AC as spinal mount, Marik NL, Liao using stealth to try to snek, Kuritas N-PPC and Steiners I dunno, missiles/gauss.

>tfw Japanese gf

Long live the Dragon.

>Talking about shit lore, if you guys would do a reboot, what about warships

Please excuse typos, Valim is a heck of a thing.

There are several issues with aerospace in general. The big two that MUST be resolved in any sort of reboot is the ludicdously overpowered-ness of ASFs, and the issue of the entire existence of WarShips.

First, it's important to remember that aerospace combat in general and WarShip combat in *particular* was never intended as a focal point in any way for BattleTech, and the rules havce always reflected this. This includes the original 2750 WarShips simply being given "whatever stats looked good"; there were no combat or construction rules for the ship in that TRO, and the construction/rules for them were backfilled in *after* the ships were statted. This, combined with the "no/minimal retcon" policy from FASA, FanPro, and CGL, has snowballed into a ruleset that is almost completely unusable in it's *current* form. Most annoyingly, there's actually a really decent space combat game buried in there, but the ships that exist and the secondary rules (ASF squadrons, for example) make it practically impossible to get any use out of.

In regards to ASFs, yes, ASFs need to be depowered, and badly. ASFs are essentially constructed just like Mechs, and Mechs were built (rules-wise) so as to slowly be ablated away under several turns of sustained fire. However, air combat doesn't work too well that way, and it's doubly overpowered against ground units which might only get 1-2 shots in at a particular ASF in a 12-turn integrated air/ground game. Ablative damage *cannot* work under such conditions. Therefore, IMO, ASFs need to be eliminated and reintegrated to the game from the ground up; with the end goal to mostly split the difference in capablities between current conventional fighters and current ASFs (which then would allow actual conventionals to remain a distinct unit type).

>cont

A good inspiration would include the Silent Death air combat system, which is one of the smoothest-running and most enjoyable hex-based air combat systems I've ever played. Which 1-hit kills are markedly rare and ablation via damage is still the name of the game, fighters in Silent Death degrade SO quickly that they reach a point of "mission kill" MUCH faster than they do now.
In terms of squadon rules, I'm in agreement with the anons who suggested a system where low-damage weapons simply CANNOT damage capital-scale armor under any conditions. While I know a lot of people tend to like the modern air combat paradigm where "Fighters Always Win" and ships are just there to get the fighters to a spot and support them, I feel that - for a GAME - the WW2 paradigm of "Interceptor > Bomber > Ship" makes for a superior game experience. Interceptors can't hurt ships but can kill bombers. Bombers can kill ships but tend to die to Interceptors. Ships kill your ships and win the day unless you can get your bombers through their interceptors, and if you fail your Interceptors can't do anything against the ships.

Rules-wise, the singular fix of "weapons which deal less than 10 Mech-scale damage per hit/damage cluster cannot hurt Captial-scale armor under any circumstances", and the addition of something like an ASF-scale antiship torpedo would go a huge way toward evening out the WarShip v ASF curve. Practically everything else about ASF squadrons can work as-is, though IMO, in keeping with the "more fragile ASFs" (as discussed above), a Capital weapon which hits an ASF simply kills the ASFs, period. Hit a Squadron with a bay of 4 Naval Lasers? Roll on the "4" column of the Cluster Table and mark off that many ASFs from the squadron.

>cont
>fuck the character limit

Moving over the WarShips, yes, obviously, the rules need to be almost completely scrapped and reworked, and every canon WarShip needs to be restatted or removed. Of those changes, the most notable needs to be flattening the mass curve; the same system almost *can't* work for a 100k-ton ship and a 2.5m-ton ship; the larger vessel simply has too much displacement. Interestingly, as I mentioned, the rules regarding WarShip combat actually DO function, and extremely well; things like ECM, ECCM, bracketing fire, off-bore missile launchers, NC3, and so forth actually do give an interesting and varied game experience (which is a rare thing for space combat games), and if the ships were in any way designed to TAKE ADVANTAGE of those rules, it could be a lot of fun.
However, of course, the ships we have now *aren't*, and therefore the rules in general mostly suck, since they add page count and complexity and almost never get used.

In terms of fluff, it's *hard* to get the WarShip count correct. I disagree (unsurprisingly) that the correct number of WarShip is "zero". My solution is a largely two-part scheme; first controling numbers, then controlling their ability to approach planets.

This one or the VSPL/all SSRM design?

First, IMO, the correct "number" of WarShips is entirely dependent on fluff. That is, there must be enough WarShips to patrol in small numbers and to make the occasional squadron-level offensive thrust, AND to guard your borders and major administrative/population/production centers...but not so many that anyone can flat-out overrun anyone else (see also: FWLN from 3055-3066). In practice, *given the game universe*, this ends up at between 100-150 WarShips for a Successor State, operating in flotillas of 2-4 ships along the border and squadrons of captial ships in the interior. You end up with about 24-30 Captial ships per faction (2/3rds on guard duty), 30-50 Cruiser-grade ships (about 1/2 on guard duty and the rest on patrol), and the remainder as light combatants (about 1/3rd on guard duty, and the rest on border patrol and sundry duties). More importantly, the contruction rate of ships tends to get fixed at 3-5 light ships/year, 1 cruiser/year, and 1 captial ship every 2 years. This allows for some offensive action and the ability to lose SOME ships without completely crippling your fleet, but the ability to regain your fleet strength within ~1 generation. Combine with the deliberate aging out and retirement of WarShips (which is a fluff difference from Mechs; no more keeping active WarShips around for 700 years), and you've got fleets that are just about self-sustaining, can actually be used occasionally, but not in sufficient numbers to squash anyone else since you have to guard so many different points.

>cont

Second, the integration with the ground game MUST be couched in a large-scale fluff change. Capital-scale ground emplacements can and should be common, and must be couched in language where they can easily hit an orbiting WarShip (which must be geostationary to provide orbital fire support), but cannot easily hit incoming DropShips. Again, this is a fluff change and reasonably easy to justify. If you want to shoot at incoming DropShips, use ASFs and/or standard-scale weapon emplacements. This allows the paradigm where WarShips COULD force a planet to surrender via threat of ortillery...but they have to send in Mechs first to capture/destroy the Planetary Defense Emplacements first. The defenders can defend with WarShips (now we have a purpose for WarShip v WarShip games) as a first-shell defense. Once orbital superiority is established, JumpShips come in and deploy Mechs, and we have a purpose for the ground game. If the WarShips don't clear the way first, the JumpShips can't come in. So instead of WarShips completely obviating the need for Mechs, instead, they operate symbiotically; Mechs need WarShips and WarShips need Mechs.

Finally, to pre-empt the arguement about "you can't allow WarShips because they can drive by and make unstoppable c-fractional weapon strikes" (and similar hard-sf concerns), I leave you with a hugely important quote from an user here:

>"So-called ""hard sci-fi""fags are a blight on every game they venture out of space-battles and Reddit to ruin with their autism, and the only thing shuts them up is doing what they do but riding it one stop past masturbation to fuck-you-geddon"

In essence, nothing stops that from being a thing in the game NOW, and you can't change that without changing the entire way the BattleTech universe works. If you're willing to play the hard-sf game to the logical conclusion, humanity was exterminated by C-fractional rocks as soon as the first interstellar war, or at the most the end of the Reunification War. Clearly, the entire BattleTech universe should be an empty space devoid of life, where players get together and just stare at each other over a couple of Moonscape hexmaps with no active units because everyone's already dead.

Recoil on the NG series is supposed to be pretty severe and for vessels the size of a DS would probably require rules like those of Mass Drivers. I guess you could make the Steiner's schtick missiles though.

I really would suggest you try using the normal Sub-Capital weapon rules first though. Properly designed ships can already exceed a NAC/10s worth of firepower, allowing them to have an actual NAC/10 *and* other guns is kind of asking for trouble.

Have a go with something like a Taihou or Castrum and see what you think, I guess.

As a concept, when it comes to WarShips, why not just technobabble nerf orbit-ground fire? Say like NPPCs and NLs get completely diffused and fuccked by atmospheres, Ngauss rounds are going way too fast and burn the fuck up, NAC rounds have similar problems but also loose speed way too fast even IF they stay together, and as a result only capital missiles are really worth a shit, and since they kinda suck, they aren't that big of a deal?

Twin SSRM for sure

I feel like dumping SubCap weapons and just letting DS mount capital weapons with severe FC limits would be better

>something like an ASF-scale antiship torpedo
Doesn't this exist?
It's like a six ton bomb, IIRC.

IMO the problem isn't so much orbtillery (though as it stands, if you have it and your opponent doesn't *and* can't do anything about it it's GG no RE) as it is how easily WarShips and PWSes kill transports. The armour on an Overlord is ludicrously light- 22 on the nose, over 18 SI. It can be one-shotted by a NAC/30, or a NAC/20 depending on the arc it gets hit in. There are ships that carry enough firepower to gank 8 Overlords a turn, and those aren't even the best ships going. A Squadron of Eisensturms can kill an Overlord in a single turn too.

Fixing this would require a major redesign of the existing DropShips. Ideally this would be accompanied by a nerf to ASF damage and improving the ability of larger vessels to kill them back, at least under the current rules set.

That was way more detailed than I expected, thanks user. I was convinced to use pocket-warships/DS only but now I doubt, do you think, with sub-capital weapons and all that, could make an interesting Space fleet part? The idea of Interceptor/bomber/warship is cool too. Perhaps upping corvettes/raiders/frigates numbers and the houses having each a Cruiser as Flagbearer, but Comstar having capital ships so they can be bullied?
So a fleet would be composed of jump ships with some AS/PW, a complement of ASD and perhaps a frigate, for a happy medium.

There are, but at 3 damage and given their other vulnerabilities you're better off spending those 6 slots on RL-10 launchers. More flexibility and double the damage.

Your call, user. I've played with them and even with serious restrictions imposed I found Sub-Capitals are much more balanced.

>Clearly, the entire BattleTech universe should be an empty space devoid of life, where players get together and just stare at each other over a couple of Moonscape hexmaps with no active units because everyone's already dead.
Sounds fun. Should make for a good afternoon of drinking cognac and morosely musing on the nature of death.

True. But then I figured that a complete redo of WS design and fighter combat as you suggest would necessitate redesigning all the droppers anyhow

What is the correct way to run this ugly thing in a clan (wolf) star?

Walk it into a depth 10 lake. Intentional fall, willingly fail your breach checks, die alone and unloved in the coffin you claimed was a mech.

> Capital-scale ground emplacements can and should be common, and must be couched in language where they can easily hit an orbiting WarShip (which must be geostationary to provide orbital fire support), but cannot easily hit incoming DropShips... ...Once orbital superiority is established, JumpShips come in and deploy Mechs, and we have a purpose for the ground game. If the WarShips don't clear the way first, the JumpShips can't come in. So instead of WarShips completely obviating the need for Mechs, instead, they operate symbiotically; Mechs need WarShips and WarShips need Mechs.

I like this a lot.
>Ground emplacements threaten geosynch orbiting vessels
>Warships need Geosynch orbit to bombard, Jumpships prefer it to unload heavy, slow logistical and conventional military transports
>fleet deploys mechs, ASF, commandos/BA etc as first wave to secure orbit

It explains a number of things in universe, Houses are willing to use mercs because it cuts down on the area with greatest losses to men and material, the orbital drop. The clans, who don't really do the conventional part of Occupation/Naval because of their culture, have become masters of Mech/BA/ASF combat. Pirates are a thing because they prey on worlds with limited orbital defenses and smash and grab before responses can be summoned.

>Every day I'm Suffren

Ah, the ship so bad they had to make up new rules so it was usable instead of just retconning in like 500 more heat sinks.

>Ship has 486 (972) DHS
>Nose produces 1,013 heat by itself
>Original RAW say you can only fire an arc if you can sink all of the heat
>What could possibly go wrong.hpg

I thought you guys had the ear of Catalyst, why not tell them all this?
It's not much good telling us unless you're trying to get a broad groundswell of support for changing ASF and warship rules.

A variant with Adder/pouncers and timber wolf A/Ds? PPC all day erry day

>I thought you guys had the ear of Catalyst, why not tell them all this?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

CGL could ignore us harder, but it'd be tricky.

nea was brutally fucked over by cgl because one of their special snowflakes got buttmad about being proven wrong and demanded he be kicked out

the current "aerospace cabal" consists of people who think the leviathan ii is just hunky-dory and can be taken down by 3 aegises so abandon hope for balance all ye who enter here

I'm from the ones than say fuck CGL, we could make a better game, reboot the setting and get better/equal art than CGL does only here.
If any of you would do that you could count with my autism.

Just finished reading Star Lord, thanks to whomever suggested it a few threads back. It was pretty great, pure pulp action.

I would depreciate the jumpship/warship classes and replace them with something roughly in-between. All space assets would be far less powerful but sport longer effective ranges. Essentially, I'd see space combat look like The Expanse. Dropships wouldn't be primary vessels but rather more space-to-ground connectors.

>left to right
Ninja-To, Akuma, Orochi, Daikyu, Rokurokubi

Oh, and ASF would suck outside of atmo. They'd exist to deliver precision ord and be eviscerated by fire from proper space combat vessels.

Left to right:
Rokurokubi, Rokurokubi, Rokurokubi, Rokurokubi, Panther

reading the tros, and having only a very basic understanding, the warships are very unbalanced, like why did you do this.
I would have to remake the navies from zero.

Ching, Chong Ning, Nong, Arr Rook, and Same.

白い人も

Can't heavily armed dropships be used as guard ships/patrol ships?

>-Julian Davion spanked the Capellans so hard they gave up on attacking the Suns and have gone after the RotS instead. He is preparing to counter-attack the Dracs.

Called it back in 2012. The recent DCMS advances into Fedcom space were little more than a line of dominos being set up for a fall to boost up Caleb's replacement
>-Drac troops are getting exhausted, most of the heavy lifting across their advance was done by the Dragoons, and the Coordinator is getting ready to square off against the Kanrei and his Black Dragon supporters.

Black dragons, again. Though to be fair, I thought the Black Dragons had already won by ER 3145. The Kuritas were deposed and executed, and they got a puppet to put on the throne, and the one who put her there was clearly Kokuryukai. Plus, the BD mostly just want the DC to go back to their glory days of fightan wars and taking territory, which they have been doing, and the Nova Cats were exterminated...

Strikes me that having a fleet numbers like this makes the survival of the Capellan Confederation more believable after the 4th SW. Sort of, as the amount of "ground" they need to defend closes in, without them losing appreciable numbers of warships they begin to get a greater density of warships along their front line, making it harder and harder for the FedCom to A) Cover what they have taken and B) Push in against the massed Liao warships. As the cost for each offewnsive goes up it becomes more and more critial for the the war to stop, so that the FedCom can consolidate what they have and use the extra resources to build more ships for the next big push in the next generation.
What do you guys think of this? Am I just stating the obvious now?

My guess is to never take the prime, or only run it against vehicles.

I will grant that as far as BV goes, it's cheaper than an Adder Prime. Worth keeping in mind.

>The diorama with Alaric fighting Stone has been declared non-canon, or the result of the fight was, or something. I think both of them at one stage or another.
One of my friends was the guy who actually won that fight during that GenCon. It turns out that the demo agents running it just blatantly cheated in Alaric's favor (IIRC, they gave him like 5 bonus edge once he ran out, despite the scenario not saying that would happen at all) so that he would win, despite the actual outcome being the other way (again, IIRC, Stone actually headcapped him with no edge left, which is when said bonus edge happened). Was super bullshit.

Is Free Tikonov and Tikonov nationalism dead?

I feel like we never got closure for Borodin's Vindicators either.

嘘じゃない

>Is Free Tikonov and Tikonov nationalism dead?
God damn I hope so. Fucking Caps don't need to get screen time, they're a bad guy faction and thus don't matter. BattleTech is a story about the Davions and the Davions alone. Get over it if you don't like it.

Davion, please.

You don't like it because you're a filthy nip but it's the truth. The glorious White Man Davions are the heroes and everyone else doesn't matter, it's just the way of BattleTech.

They were full Draconis March in-exile under the Sandovals in the Republic and especially after the Davion defection in 3135. Don't know what happened after Tikonov fell in 3145, but if Julian kicked the Caps off New Syrtis, then Tikonov was probably on the list too.

Erik probably made it a point of pride to succeed where his uncle failed. That was a long recurring plot in the DA novels.

>Davion
>White
Davions are ther mongrelised remains of the Anglo. 35% at best.
Only House Steiner is white, and this can be shown by the the fact that New Capetown is in the Lyran Commonwealth.

Are there any fun things that could be done with the concept of Chinese-communism adopting Russians?

Or was the Chinese and Russian wave of Communism only about the soveriegn in charge of it all?

Even better, their majority minority is Jewish

There are a lot of Jews in BT for some silly reason. But it could be interpreted a multitude of ways. If they're 99.99% Christian, it's really a tiny number.

Speaking as a Jew, for the record.

>There are a lot of Jews in BT for some silly reason.
A few hundred years of frontier birth rates and no pogroms will do that

I got you famalam

Honestly I don't see many of us leaving Terra in the first place, and given how fucked up BT history is in the eras around the Demarcation Declaration and the rise of the Terran Hegemony to the Reunification Wars (some of the shit in the Capellan Zone wars, for example), I don't see why we wouldn't be targeted in future pogroms.

Wow. Did you make that?

Just shooped it together. Can't draw for shit.

Hey Xotl? Are you still out there?

I have a question about the support force rules in the Battlemech Manual, pgs 75-77. It looks like there's no way for ground fire to target incoming aerospace forces being used for support. Is this intentional, or is there an errata which needs to be issued?

Like just now? I like it. What's the source for the girl?

No, made it a while back. Haven't done any lately because we have a friendly local OC creator now with an affinity for T&A so I figured my "services" were no longer required. Gimme a sec and I'll try to dig you up a source; it's just some random image I had.

Man, your work has been high-quality. There's enough of your wallpapers floating around now I feel like it's OK to ask this: can you do one for the MOC? The existing MOC pinups are all pretty old and low-res, and your choices have been good enough that I'd like to see what you can do for the ACTUAL pinup faction.

Sure, I'd appreciate it. Do you have more or a site I can check out?
Tikonov is pretty minor so it just pleasantly surprised me to see someone throw that out there.

Dude, we love the chick wallpapers. Your services are always appreciated. Feel free to keep making stuff, we'll appreciate it just like we always have.

Source is an artist by the name of Seunghee Lee for the Russian release of Blade&Soul. thought about getting an Imgur but they were just compromised recently so... meh. Check the booru we have in the OP though; it has most of it I think. Probably under "pinup" or "pin_up".

I actually made one of the old ones too. I was slowly trying to update them in my spare time based on what images I could find/had that matched a faction, and what seemed to be highly requested. I can put the MoC higher on my to-do list, now that apparently I have one again. I've been looking to do Jade Turkey too at some point.