Hybrid Costs in EDH

Do you think you should be able to play hybrid costs in your mono-colored EDH decks?
Why not?

no, hybrid cards take the characteristics of both colors stil which is what the color identity rule is there to prevent

Yes.

Hybrids are supposed to be printable in either color as mono-colored spells. Otherwise they would be gold cards.

The flavor prohibits it

>extort was just printed how it is because they hate EDHfags

How does it feel to play the biggest joke of a format?

The flavor suggests that a planeswalker with access to only green mana would still be able to cast part-green hybrid spells.

Not even Doug Beyer gave a clear answer as to what the fuck the difference between hybrid and gold colors is flavor-wise. He says hybrid exemplifies the overlap between 2 colors, then immediately says "yeah but gold cards also usually exemplify an/the overlap between 2 colors" and then says "yeah well uh it makes them harder to cast"

He says gold cards are chinese menu design while hybrids are uniform design but that's not even true because uniform and chinese menu are both used as frequently as the other throughout duo colored cards

wedges are different because wizards still barely knows how to make a uniform design that fits 3+ colors without using chinese menu after all this time because frankly it's fucking hard

in short, it's a gimmick and should be treated as such

Yes.

But would you want to? EDH is shit.

EDH is literally the only good format left

*except Pauper I guess

I've been looking at the Noble format.

It looks like it has potential to be a fixed version of commander.

All hybrid cards are designed so that they could have been printed as mono-color in both colors.
So yes.

Commander is shit. Play real magic.

>real magic
The one where ~40 nonland cards out of almost 20000 are viable?

EDH is the same though really. Singleton just means the number is a bit bigger.

>All these plebs not playing at least some form of cube variant format.

>Singleton just means the number is a bit bigger
EDH viable cards easily run into thousands.

I would say it's less than a fifth of all cards that have been printed.

Isn't cube just a more competitive draft though?

Gold is the fusion dance, Hybrid is using the Potara earings

Even in Standard less than a fifth of available cards see tournament play.

That's not the point that was being made though.

Cube is whatever you need it to be. 40-card, 60-card, block, chaos, singleton, pauper, high-power, 360 pool, 1440 pool, 4-booster, 6-booster, pre-packed distribution, full random distribution, limited, progressive, common-currency, etc.

Whatever gives value to otherwise disregarded cards and deviates from the stale constructed environments. You can take what you love about the game and put it in while leaving anything you find cancerous out.

Most cubes I've been exposed to have just been "This is the best possible version of this effect"

sounds like you don't have a very creative playgroup. Powered cubes are pretty common, but are far from the only kind of cube. My playgroup has an uncommon cube, for example.

Best case scenario is to actually have a group of friends/players mutually design one and then tweak it over a series of matches.

Every time my group plays through a cube, we generally design one that is different afterward, and just like any design process, you will see what works and what doesn't throughout the games.

>I've been looking at the Noble format.
The fuck is that? Deets, user, give us the deets.

Well crafted cubes with the right group of people are the best way to play and it isn't even close.

Not that user, but from a cursory google search it appears to be like this:
60 card deck, one rare or mythic as your "noble", four uncommons, rest commons.
Noble card is like a commander in that it can be played from the command zone, but doesn't have to be a creature, and doesn't go back to the command zone when it would change zones to the graveyard/exile.

Huh. How odd. Fancy idea for a format, though I don't like the "noble" rules. Still, could be pretty interesting to give a spin.

>buy muhh cards
>keep buying and trading for muhh cards
>oh no card no good no mo
>buy more cards
>buy better cards
>buy four of each card

I always wanted 60 card commander but not a creature

>Play turn 3 Karn or storm
So much options to choose from!

You damn well SHOULD be able to. There is no reason it shouldn't be allowed - there's bigger color breaks in monocolor than in any hybrid, hybrid's ENTIRE PURPOSE is to be 'either/or' rather than 'both', and a good chunk of them are fairly self-balancing - wanting either mono-whatever or at least still running both colors, instead of trying to play your U/B U/B U/B U/B U/B card in a GWU deck (or even just WU).
It's one of the many things that annoys me about the Rules Committee.

Agreed. Alesha would be the best Boros commander they've ever dreamed of.

What would be some interesting hybrid cards to put in certain decks? Like if I wanted to make some kind of land deck that has red in it as well. How much more will the doors to creativity be open?

Don't remember the name but there was a similar one, possibly "big fish"
>60 card constructed,
>similar rarity rules,
>1 rare creature in your deck that the rest had to follow colour identity of,
>if it dies you can shuffle it back in

For that deck in particular, it wouldn't gain too much. Call the Skybreaker lets you do something with extra land, Noggle Bridgebreaker to reuse ETBs, Fulminator Mage/Din of the Fireherd/Poison the Well is LD.. Master Warcraft to fuck up combat completely. Vexing Shusher to fuck over that annoying shit playing counterspell.dec.
Not much gets added for lands with red, or even monored, because in general it's all stuff red could already do - same with all the other colors.
Bunch of stuff that they can TECHNICALLY do that Wizards just hasn't printed in forever/at a reasonable cost/on that card type or subtype. Hell, the biggest thing not available is 'cards without Shadowmoor/Eventide keywords' followed by 'even more color lords (now with blank text)'

No need to unnecessarily accelerate the power creep.

No they don’t. That’s gold cards. Hybrid card use effects that are in both colour pies.

from a mechanical approach, yes.

from an aesthetic approach, no.

also i've always thought fetch lands should be restricted to decks that contain both land type.

It's less than what's already available due to older cards.

Anything helps. Especially in a singleton format.

Clearly we should ban the next set as well, and all sets from now on, since that will add far more than allowing the ~112 hybrid cards per color (which overlap, mind, 275 total, and several would still be illegal due to regular mana symbol rules such as the original guildmages) in decks other than both those colors only.
What in the list of hybrid cards is such a problem that they all need to be stuck?

Hell yes.

Can I just say that the EDH rules committee is incredibly retarded?

Nothing is stopping you from running Alesha as a Boros commander though.

Devoid should work like color indicators do.
I should be able to run these things that clearly state they have no color in my colorless deck, assuming I bend over backwards to include five-color mana producers that don't include mana symbols
I just want to have an eldrazi tribal deck that includes the drones AND has an eldrazi as general and not some random unrelated shitfucker only there for colors

Right now? I absolutely cannot because of her hybrid white/black. If you mean my playgroup though, yeah.

I'm still a bit frustrated over what WotC did with partners, I think they should have explored more with activated ability costs, and hybrid colors, possibly both with how Alesha and a few other cards from Khans block work in that way. I would have been very interesting, and better than the partners. I mean shit, there's only one UB partner and one RB partner, compared to the other colors, it's pretty sad.

Gold cards can be either effects that overlap between the colors or a combination of effects that only either could do on their own. Hybrid cards can only have effects that overlap between the colors.

As a COMMANDER you could run her in a fully RW deck and just not run anything black at all.
You can't have her in the 99 of a RW deck though, yeah, because fuckan rules committee.

Yes, as mechanically hybrid cards are built from the overlap of the two colors and shouldn't let either color have access to anything new. However you should print off proxies and make it visually match the rest of your deck to keep the spirit alive.

Oh you clever boy.

EDH was less popular than Frontier is today back when they printed Extort effects, they couldn't have printed it in such a weird way in reaction to EDH.

Let me guess, “real magic” just happens to be your favorite format, right?

He's not clever, you're just simple.

Real Magic is just any format that uses a minimum of 60 cards, no need to take it so personally. I agree with though, EDH is the only "good" format left by process of elimination because that and Draft are the only goddamn formats getting any support.

the hybrid mana cost is in the reminder text of the card though, not the cards actual text, ergo it's playable in either color.

A friend of mine runs Kozilek EDH, all the devoid cards would only slow it down.

What is cracking open a cold one and drafting with the boys?

yeah, this here is the truth, dunno why mans are finding that hard to process