media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove (Xanathar's PDF included)
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Last time on /5eg/:
What are some plane affect on true dragons? Shadowfell make shadow dragon.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IU1oRsaEtw4&ab_channel=noximillion
dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/rules-references-august-2017
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

casters>martials

Just read the UA about elven subraces. How would Sea Elf civilizations even work without fire or any means to create tools and structures?

With magic, you know, that thing Elves use? You can eat a lot of seafood raw, and they can cast the spell light, meaning there's no reason for fire.

Aquatic Elf: Also called sea elves, they are akin to mermen as land elves are to men. Found almost exclusively among heavy weed beds in quiet sheltered salty waters, they are greatfriends of the dolphins. They fashion caverns in lagoon bottoms and reefs where they live and work.

They trade with land elves - metal goods (they are unable to forge underwater) for rare items found in the sea. For every 20 sea elves, there is a 50% chance that they are accompanied by 1-3 friendly dolphins.

Aquatic elves use spears and tridents as weapons, usually in combination with nets. They do not use magic. They speak only elvish.
They are humanoid in appearance, with gill slits on the throat and greenish-silver skin and green or blue-green hair. Seaweed affords little or no hindrance to their movement. They are invisible in weeds or on reefs. They are mortal enemies of sharks and sahuagin, and will attack either if the elves outnumber them. They are friends to dolphins and land elves, and neutral to all others, except for fishermen, whom they dislike due to the number of sea elves snared in nets and killed mistakenly as sahuagin by these ignorant humans.

>With magic
See >They do not use magic

I think they tend to use bone, kelp, and shells.

Seventh for no one can use True Strike.

Well... this is probably the dumbest thing I have ever made, but man I can't stop laughing at it.

youtube.com/watch?v=IU1oRsaEtw4&ab_channel=noximillion

>Infinidagger
>Rarity ???, Dagger, (Requires Attunement)
>This magic dagger does not have the thrown property, and you cannot be disarmed with this weapon. You can use an action while holding this dagger to perform a standing high jump (Expending movement as normal) and shout the weapon's name to magically propel yourself 200 feet forward in a straight line. If a creature is within this line you make a melee weapon attack against that target, on a hit they suffer an additional 1d8 piercing damage from the attack and your movement ends. This movement is halted if you run into any object, creature or, structure. This can be done X times per day.

>Cursed. This dagger is cursed, you have an overbearing sense to sneak up on people and shout "Hellooo!" to them. Whenever you introduce yourself to someone you always begin your statement with a loud but well-meaning "Hellooo!" Lastly, you believe this weapon to be sentient and extremely friendly. You hear whispers at random that tell you to shout its name and fly for no reason at all.

What do you think? I'm sure there is a better way to word this, but this is what I could think of.

Is that copypasta or headcanon?

I understand the transition to martial combat as they ran out of spell slot, but don't they still have cantrip to use.

Any good spells in XGTE for the 8 Int wizard?

Summon Drool

Catnap so the more useful members of the party get their stuff back quicker

Life Transference so your useless ass can at least keep a real caster alive.

Gary Gigax AD&D Monster Manual 1977

Rolled 6, 5, 5, 2, 1, 4, 5, 5, 3, 3, 4, 6 = 49 (12d6)

2d6 add 6 down the line. 6+2d6 stats.

Nice Grump ref, but it's stupid.

I mean come on what's so stupid about a Wizard playing a joke on the local Rogue and cursing a dagger to make them more jovial and able to fly?

Honestly, though user, what would you recommend I change to make it not stupid/overpowered/underpowered?

>Honestly, though user, what would you recommend I change to make it not stupid/overpowered/underpowered?

Not make it at all.

>Not make it at all.
user that's no fun! You gotta make some stupid stuff every now and then. Like a lute that can never be tuned or beer that makes you sober.

>dagger leap costs movement
>but moves you 200 feet

So only tabaxi under the haste spell can use this leap?

>Instead of advantage, you gain a +10 bonus to your next attack roll

Would this fix it?

I thought the problem with True Strike was that using an Action to then have advantage on your next attack roll next turn was too slow.

>user that's no fun!
You really need to get better at alternative means of having fun, then.

>You gotta make some stupid stuff every now and then.
No, you don't. Unless your campaign is intentionally supposed to be like Spongebob Squarepants.

>Like a lute that can never be tuned or beer that makes you sober.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL :DDDDDDDDDDDDDD how could I have ever doubted you?

>people are no so hard up for creative content that they're referencing youtube streamers of obscure games where something mildly funny happened
>this is the height of humor for millenials.

All of the western and eastern canons lie before you. You could make something unique, unburdened by reference. you could reference jesus, hercules, rocky balboa, the terminator, gilgamesh, and on and on and on.

And yet you choose to spend your days watching two depressed men other than yourself play games and then making dumb references in DnD to their not really funny exploits instead of forging your own unique story or referencing something actually worth experiencing. You're a sad sack of shit and your item is dumb.

No, you just leap which uses your movement, then you magically move 200 feet forward until you hit something/go the full 200 feet. This was the intention at least. The wording might not show that.

Thanks, anons! I was not aware that everything I make has to be unique or reference the most important things. I can't make a joke weapon or item just for fun to toy with players or get a chuckle out of them? References or not its just for fun. Thank you though, for at least taking the time to read it and speak your minds.

XDXD

DUDE when I read that, I read "bear that makes you sober".

So I added a twist to your magic item, I hope you don't mind: It's a bottle of what appears tob e beer, but when drunk it reveals that it is actually a bear in disguise *holds up spork*. the beerington!!!! then mauls the drinker making them soberly deadl!

You could just as easily knock them prone and and get them with your extra attack.

If it's just for fun, could you try making it fun first?

So I finally decided to make a character I've wanted to for ages, a Cleric of Kord focused on being strong. My DM okayed the Strength domain from planeshift.

Now I've got 2 issues though. First of all what race? I'm thinking V.Human with Brawny for being strong and having godlike Athletics, but I'm interested in other ideas.

Secondly we're not playing in Greyhawk for some reason this time, but in FR. So what's a good aligned god of Strength I could use?

I don't know shouting "Hellooo" at everyone no matter how hard you try and feeling the urge while eating breakfast in your home/inn to suddenly jump and fly out the window/to a wall with your "Sentient" propeller dagger sounds fun to me.

>"bear that makes you sober".
I like the sound of this, can they fight the bear when they grab the Beer bottle or do they have to die? Not a fan of death for a joke.

You are easily amused.

@56756904
>I enjoy having memes literally take over my character
No more yous. Never dm.

Also, what's something fun/humorous to you user? Humor's subjective so it's always different for the person.

Some puns get me some don't.

Eh, it's alright to make some goofy shit every now and then. The curse might be a bit TOO goofy, but it seems fine.

For example, I've given my players the Invisibow, a permanently invisible longbow (so at all times it looks like you're shooting arrows solely with your hands) that becomes visible whenever there's an invisible creature within 15ft of it (including the wielder)

Also a long long time ago my players met the Knights of Shizzle and their captain, Nizzle. When the captain and the party's fighter got into a friendly brawl, they started chanting "For Shizzle! For Shizzle!"

Is the XGE Hexblade just kind of shit? Eldritch Smite can only use warlock spell slots, which you get so few of, and you still have to use darkness for advantage which fucks your party. How is it not better just to splash Paladin for normal smite?

Hi mearls, glad to see you're still at it.

>Free medium armor and shield proficiency
>A curse that stacks with Agonizing Eldritch Blast

Yeah no, those two things alone make it a really good Warlock class, even moreso for cross-classing into anything except paladin.

Auppenser would be good for a kinda monk-ish Cleric of Strength.

Alternatively you could go Garagos and be a metal motherfucker. Seriously look at this man and tell me he doesn't deserve more love in splatbooks.

>Eldritch Smite can only use warlock spell slots

I mean, paladin smite uses the same wording and can actually use warlock slots, no?

It's literally the best patron

>Eldritch Smite can only use warlock spell slots
It's shit, pick improved pact weapon instead

>you still have to use darkness for advantage
There are other ways to get advantage, or do you think the fighter will never get advantage?

the problem is you have at least a couple of options here, you either spend an action to add one dice roll to your next turn, not even one attack, and only if you maintain concentration, or you just use your action to attack this turn. If you have 1 attack per action you as rolling just as many times but you can only hit once, it can't be on the first turn and you need to maintain concentration, and if you have extra attack you literally have less chance to hit

>Eldritch Smite
Sucks ass, just use the Smite spells because your Charisma's high enough people will fail the saves.

>paladin smite uses the same wording
No, tit just say a spellslot, no mention to any class at all

Only in the first print, they changed it later on and removed that.

If you have STR and you're in melee range

No, Divine smite can use any spell slot, which is why multiclassing sorc is so good, cus you get a shitload of slots. Hexblade smite is literally shit because it says "warlock spell slots" and warlocks are stuck on 2 slots until lvl 11, and only cap out at 4 at 17.

have you recently suffered a stroke?

The thing you're missing, millennial scum, is that if you had actually read or watched or played anything worthwhile in you sad life, you wouldn't feel compelled to reference an off joke by two no charisma neckbeards playing a somewhat decent but obscure game.

>Only in the first print, they cahnged iit later on and removed that.

Actually I just checked and they confirmed that you CAN use any spell slot. I understand the arbitrary restriction for HEX smite even less now!

Why play a Fighter when the Paladin deals more damage and also brings utility to the party?

Simplicity. It's a class I can play effectively even after 4 beers.

You could drop the sneaking up on people part and make it so it only happens when you introduce yourself. For the sentient whispers part, make it a saving throw or make it so it happens when they see large open spaces. It is a curse after all and can be removed through remove curse.

> The curse might be a bit TOO goofy, but it seems fine
100% agree, it's pretty silly, but I like it.

> a permanently invisible longbow (so at all times it looks like you're shooting arrows solely with your hands) that becomes visible whenever there's an invisible creature within 15ft of it (including the wielder)
That's pretty good!

>Also a long long time ago my players met the Knights of Shizzle and their captain, Nizzle. When the captain and the party's fighter got into a friendly brawl, they started chanting "For Shizzle! For Shizzle!"
Also great! I kind of want to have a random group of knights referred to as the Order of Shizzle now, maybe make it a fever dream or something they see while high/hallucinating. Walking towards them like pic.

No.
I just like the joke user so I made a weapon to reference said joke, I don't see why you are so up in arms about this. Would you like a hug? I can't hug you over the internet but know I want you to feel better and be more positive about other's views.

Why play a paladin when a hexblade deals higher damage at range and with more sustain and utility?

not wanting to stick to oaths, wanting to be good at archery, and using the extra ASI on a feat are decent reasons

Battle Master is not simpler than a Paladin that spend all slots on smites

Simplicity, flavor and a few subclasses can do things Paladin can't.

Even though I acknowledge Paladin's are awesome, I really can't bring myself to play one ever. In fact I can't play Fighters or Paladins.

>no Auras, heals and cleric spells
>only 2 smites/rest and if you do smite and can't cast spells anymore
>Implying Eldritch Blast is better when you can't get magic items to buff it other than pact rod that is rarer than a magic weapon and only adds its bonus to attack rolls

>I can't play Fighters or Paladins
Do you play Barbarians?

>Make a melee focused warlock
>STILL better to sit back and spam EB

What did they mean by this?

Absolutely love Barbarians. Sorcerer or Cleric are my favorite classes.

I'm not sure why but I lose interest in a Fighter as soon as I put the fighting style down and nothing about Paladins appeal to me. Last time I wanted to play a character who was basically a Paladin I just made a War Cleric.

Eldritch blast is better. Compare it to any weapon. The paladin gets to hit twice with a 1d12 or 2d6 + str. The warlock gets to hit 4 times with a 1d10+1d6+ Cha +Prof.

And while the paladin can smite more often at first, iirc if you work out the spell levels warlocks can deliver more damage dice through smite in an average adventuring day.

>Absolutely love Barbarians
Could you explain to me why you like Barbarians but not Fighters?

>Sorcerer or Cleric are my favorite classes
Liking the Sorcerer surprises me, Clerics are lots of fun though

>Last time I wanted to play a character who was basically a Paladin I just made a War Cleric
And now there is also Cavalier for the knight in shine armor and the Zealot for... the religious zealot.

Honestly I love Rage. I guess when I want to play a Strength focused dude, then I want to be the guy who's actually the king of being strong.

Fighter seems bland because Barbarian, Rogue and Ranger can cover the character you'd want to make for one, but with better fluff and funner abilities.

As for Paladin, it just seems really meh. I mean all you do is stand around in melee smiting things. I did once consider building a ranged Paladin for fun, and the idea actually looks pretty good on paper. One day I might try that.

>The warlock gets to hit 4 times
Only at level 17

>+Prof
Once in a rest and applies only to one target, the Paladin can get +CHA to hit or advantage on every attack

>+1d6
Paladin got smites, you can't compare two classes, one dealing at-wil damage while the other is spending resources

>Compare it to any weapon
Like I said, there are a huge list of magic weapons that can improve your damage. To improve EB you need the Rod of the Pact, which the DM might not give you if he's running a pre made adventure or if he's rolling the table from the DMG

>1d12 or 2d6 + str
Actually they get an extra d8 on all attacks at level 11.

I picked fighter for the blast damage.
Handcrossbow+Mastery+Sharpshooter+Actionsurge+Precision shot
Dealing 1d6+14 Dmg with +4+1d8 to hit. Shooting 5 times in a round

Hex doesn't cost resources user. You cast it 1 hour before your long rest ends on a rat that you immediately kill and then finish the rest gaining the slot back. Maintain concentration of it and just move it to a target later.

Eldritch blast keeps pace with paladins at first and then outstrips them when you gain the third beam.

Curse functions similarly to hex starting at 6th level iirc.

And I'm ignoring your magic item argument because planning for DM fiat is always a mistake.

Basically if your campaign is going past 6th level, pick hexblade.

It adds Prone with no save and does the same amount of damage also its force, so it might be too good with a Sorlock.

You can lose concentration on Hex and you can't cast any other spell with concentration

Paladins get +1d8 in to every attack at the same level the hexblade gets the third beam. You also igbored this at you damage comparison

>Curse functions similarly to hex starting at 6th level iirc.
It doesn't

>And I'm ignoring your magic item argument because planning for DM fiat is always a mistake
If you think you will not get ANY magic weapon at all

>Basically if your campaign is going past 6th level, pick hexblade.
As I said before, Paladins get auras, healing and support spells

They CHANGED the wording in newer printings, they didn't confirm it, they changed it

Do you want a picture from my PHB?

What about PAM and Improved Divine Smite my nigger?

At level 11 the Paladin's making attacks for a total of 2d10+1d4+3d8+3xSTR. Rerolling 1's and 2's.

While a level 11 Warlock does 3d10+3d6+3xCHA but he also is wasting concentration. Once you get to level 17 the Warlock wins in damage, but that's level fucking 17.

Smite damage for a Warlock only wins out if you get 3+ short rests per day and even then they can't split the damage as needed, only nuke. This also requires them to be using a melee weapon which unless they wasted literally every invocation on EB and weapon upgrades then they'll be dealing signifigantly less damage then a Paladin anyway.

Hex casting before you finish a rest only becomes viable at levels 5+ for a start. Also assuming you can cast a spell during a rest isn't in the rules, it's DM fiat.

That thing you say not to plan about.

>Paladins get auras, healing and support spells
Thissssss.

Hexblade only exists for three reasons. Masturbating about how much theoretical damage you get in one round, making Mearls happy and knowing how to find a shit player right away.

At the actual table they're meh aside from killing one major thing. Which is still better accomplished by just spamming Save or Sucks with a party of all casters.

+1: dipping a level.

That was covered under
>knowing how to find a shit player right away

Anyone who tells me they plan to take 1 level in Hexblade is getting the boot. Not because of bad wrong fun, but because clearly we have a very different style of playing the game and it's easier for both of us not to deal with that.

Nothing in the rest rules says you can't cast spells user. I don't plan for the DM to benefit me, but I won't assume he'd cheat to screw me either.

I notice that while admonishing me for leaving out the d8, you conveniently dropped the proficiency boost from curse. If you aren't even going to try to be honest, you can fuck off right now .

> Not because of bad wrong fun,
I mean you kind of just called him a shit player...

But yeah, okay, point taken.

>Level 5 huh? I made a monk. Can I play?
>"Ok sure there's a Triceratops here and a cliff here and..."
>a cliff huh? Would you say this cliff is... 50 ft away?
>I attack the Triceratops with my shillelagh. I hit? Then I use stunning strike
>"What's the save on stunning strike? Really, a 16? Let me see. Hmmm.. okay"
>okay now I flurry of blows and knock it back 15 ft. And again.
>(next turn) and another 15 feet, and another 15 feet. That's the edge of the cliff right? The Triceratops falls

aids

>you conveniently dropped the proficiency boost from curse
I noticed you left out the Paladins channel divinity and assumed we were doing no resources. If you really want to add in short rest the r'okay.

Paladin gets +CHA on all attack rolls, which makes using GWM a lot more viable. So +20 damage.

Or hell, we could even just play an Oathbreaker if we've got a generous DM letting us cast during short rests, Paladin now has +CHA to damage instead so +15 damage with no resources expended.

Kinda funny that Vengeance Paladins can cast Hunter's Mark which is basically the as Hex.

Sounds like good tactics

The picture I linked in my last post was from the 2017 WOTC errata document, so IDK which PHB you're referring to. It clearly states that Divine Smite can use any spell slot.

>t. dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/rules-references-august-2017

>funny that Vengeance Paladins can cast Hunter's Mark which is basically the as Hex.
Just like it can get advantage against one target once in a rest, the same conditions of the hexblade curse

That's what I'm saying, it isn't just a clarification, it says any slot now

Dinosaur paladins, eh?

Are any of the new XGE Sorc options worth taking for the Hexblade build? Maybe shadow sorc so you can see through your own darkness and don't have to take Devil's Sight?

Also, would improved hexblade give +1 to attack and damage rolls of spells when used as your focus?

Unfortunately it doesn't get the short rest casting to make it functionally resourceless.

>Also, would improved hexblade give +1 to attack and damage rolls of spells when used as your focus?
No, but it does allow you to make any pact weapon a +1 magic weapon that includes magic weapons that don't naturally already have a +1 bonus like Flametongue, Sword of Wounding, Frostbrand etc.

I already explained why hex doesn't use a resource. Are you dumb? Regardless, no more yous from me, you're either too dumb or too intellectually dishonest to have a meaningful discussion.

Are dragonborn true dragon?

No. They're plagiarized dragons.

No, tortle are the true master race.

See

I'm playing a tempest cleric, next level is 12 and I'm torn between feats. One that I really want is Magic Initiate for booming blade. What other spell should I choose? I would probably take from the warlock list, since there's a couple of those in my party.

On the other hand, I would really like Resilient to round up my 15 Constitution and give me a better chance on concentration saves.

Lastly, I've looked at Elemental Adept, because we've been fighting demons and there's a lot of shit that resists lightning, but I don't think it holds up to the other two choices.

t. someone with no actual arguments

Fighters get shit-tons of attacks and feats. That allows you to tailor it more than other martial classes.

I've found that all of the autists who claim the opposing party are retards are actually the retards themselves who have no actual arguments. Their claims serve no purpose but expose their intellectual dishonesty and lack of meaningful thoughts.

Alright Veeky Forums I am in need of your help and in a dilemma. After playing D&D for a few months, trying out various classes, and doing different alignments, I finally want to make a "main character" concept. Main character in that while it isn't a self-insert of me, I want it to be the ideal character that represents my morals and what I envision as the ideal cool character (Or maybe that's a self-insert, I don't know).

The problem now in that I want to make a gish character. I do not want to make a front-loaded Hexblade even though it would be the best for a gish because making a pact with some weapon god is not my character's thing and I personally disagree with the fundamental aspects of how front-loaded the class is. So it boils down to Eldritch Knight or Valor bard and both have merits and demerits for me.

I want my character to fight primarily while having a little bit of crowd control/aoe spells (Eldritch Knight), but as someone who likes roleplay/narrative, I like Cha as a main stat and music playing as a hobby (Valor Bard). I like the Wizard spells much better but dislike dumping Cha and having to make Int the MAD stat. I hate having disadvantage with heavy armor on stealth checks, but at the same time I don't want to be a burden on the team by getting BTFO at the front lines by only having medium armor while now having to MAD Str, Dex, Con, and either Int/Cha.

What do you think would be the better choice for me? What point should I multi-class, if even I should do that?

And yes I understand how irritating my wants are and how conflicting they are, hence my dilemma.

>Elemental Adept
Necessary feat if you're only rolling with one maical damage type

DM is starting a new game where we are all retired adventurers who are fucking pissed because the "next generation" of adventurers are incompetent idiots.

The game is starting at level 12. I want something that is good at manipulating the battlefield. What should I play?