/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces (No new UA this month)
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html
5etools.com

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/

What's the most useful non-weapon item your character carries?

Other urls found in this thread:

5etools.com/
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJmFJXf3BXjwXkNFo_-iwtHb24AuJcXqx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I often hear of the one stealthy guy getting screwed over by the rest of the party, or the stealthy party getting screwed over by the one non-stealthy guy. Has anyone played a game with an all stealthy party? What happens?

Everyone screws over everyone.

Constantly.

The party gets screwed over by a non stealth encounter

Hijinks and hilarity. All stealth campaigns are awesome.

Now I'm imagining an Ocean's 11 heist going on. A divination wizard to case the joint, an open palm monk to distract the guards, a barbarian for the muscle, a thief to actually snatch the shit and a Battlemaster fighter to hatch the scheme and go all Hannibal on it.

No Mastermind Rogue? No Chain Warlock for invisible scouting imp?

Stealth almost always fails when the party is going together. 4-5 people doing stealth checks and it's pretty much bound to have one person fucking up. Doesn't help that Paladins, Fighters, Clerics all are wearing heavy armor most of the time.

Stealth in this game is the biggest bait.

>Chain warlock who acts like a made man
>Refers to his Patron as "The Boss"
>Imp is an associate

One of the nastiest things I've seen was a party of
>Assassin X2
>Shadow Monk
>Bladelock with Mask of Many Faces

One Assassin is kinda strong but falls off, whereas 2 of them can straight up erase an enemy before combat. We essentially did dungeons like Tenchu speedruns instead of trying to fight everything.

It also shows why session 0 is important, as nobody knew what anyone else was going to play.

I like Battlemaster for leader-types and I figured wizard did the magical bits already.

I would also throw in Druid to wildshape into a menagerie of unassuming animals like cats or birds to sneak on in and open the door or something.

>The GOOfather.

Fuck yeah

>wearing a gambeson over mail instead of under it

WHY

Manacles because we are playing bounty hunter.

5etools.com/ is back!

A magically unbreakable fishing line.

5etools.com/ is back!

Doesn't want scratches in his mail, I guess.

I would also imagine gambeson under mail to be very uncomfortable, but the reason for needing to wear two armor sets at the same time seems a bit strange in general.

I've gotten a lot of utility out of them on my Thief.
>Fighting in the mess hall of badguy fort
>Attach manacle to big iron pot
>Attach other end of manacle to enemy's arm with Thief's Fast Hands sleight of hand check
>DM says causes Disadvantage on attacks

>Fighting some bandits in the woods
>Attach two of them together when they aren't looking by the ankles
>Start the fight, they can't move more than 5 ft without falling prone

>Fighting in an abandoned fort
>Use Manacles as an improvised lock on a pair of double doors, buying us time to get out of there while being pursued

That mean the trove is back too.

Is it actually a good box for newbies? Would it work as an easy-to-go intro for people that never played any RPGs?

Yup

Smartass always try to get an answer out of the banshee before giving her the comb in hope of getting another answer.

Yup, but try to make sure you understand the rules as much as possible before playing if you're the DM.

Ask questions here for anything that comes up, for the most part you'll get either
>Genuinely helpful advice
>Smug helpful advice
>Read_The_Book.jpg
Which is a lot more useful than a lot of generals.

Fuck me. Get answer and then try to get another one with the comb.

The rulebook.
I'm the GM.

>no one's said spellcasting aids like component pouch, spellbook, divine/arcane foci

I'm proud of you /5eg/

I'm a big fan of 10' poles, but that's mostly from our DM liking the firey pressure plates from Skyrim a bit too much for our good.

So I'm playing a tomelock, whose background is more of a forced into adventuring for her patron, with pursuit of knowledge being a main trait (grew up mainly within a college kinda thing).

What im getting at is, i want to pick a feat, and being the only arcane caster plus with how i want my character is designed in personality, I'd like to be a bit more non combat situation capable. Combat is well handled by the rest of the group.

Anyhow, i was thinking of getting Linguist, but i have comprehend languages known, or Skilled and picking up something like perception and nature plus a tool prof. If you guys have any potential alternatives or such it'd be much appreciated. And apologies for the formatting, currently phone posting from the gym

Depending on which, if any, divine casters are in the group, grabbing Ritual Caster might not be a bad idea.

It's a very good intro, the adventure is very traditional and with a little improv and note-taking you can personalize it to your players. Plus it can serve as a good jumping off point to other published adventure modules or even expanded upon via the Basic rules (or just pirate the PDFs/use 5etools).
If nothing else, you could also introduce your players with this video series, it actually introduces the game and explains a lot of rules with a good eye for detail and accuracy.
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJmFJXf3BXjwXkNFo_-iwtHb24AuJcXqx

what spells did you pick up with Tome and what Patron?

>be me
>be new to game
>everybody else has been playing for 3+ sessions already.
>do some pixie dust, start floating in the air
>get stuck in the top of a wizard's tower and can't get down
>"use your rope user!"
>don't have rope
>"you don't have rope?!?"
>nope.jpg
>have bag of holding, think "I can use this to hide in and absorb the fall!"
>jump into bag of holding while falling
>it doesn't fit over fat dwarf hips
>fall to near death, 2 hp left
>DM says "you didn't ask if you would actually fit inside it"

>What's the most useful non-weapon item your character carries?
rope

>his
oh user

Thieve's Tools

Mail on the bottom with nothing but plain underclothes between it and your skin would be infinitely more uncomfortable. You want a gambeson under mail and/or plate so that the harder outer layer resists cutting and piercing while the padded inner layer still absorbs some of the force of the blow. Gambesons are much easier to damage than mail and can get truly awful when overexposed to the elements. And unlike mail, you can't just roll a corroded gambeson around in a barrel of sand to fix it.

>Tamoachan
>Traps are DC20 to spot.
>The gas lightly obscures the area, perception has disadvantage
Damn, everything is undetectable.

We have a life cleric and moon druid and a vengeance pali. Plenty of divine
Im already doing ritual stuff via pact and invocation so I'd rather broaden out so to speak.
GOO patron. Took find familiar and alarm. Would have grabbed tensers disk if id known about it, but alarm still works as a character choice and with our penchant for short rests

My understanding was that you always wore metal with an outfit of cloth underneath, and that was something more of a doublet than a gambeson.

Aren't gambesons worn as an independant armor set? Or am I just mixing up too many words?

>>DM says "you didn't ask if you would actually fit inside it"
DM should have told you that you weren't going to fit before jumping off the tower

are you playing a thieve?

What is the most fun warlock build? (Patron, Pact, Invocations, etc...)

What is the most powerful warlock build No Multiclassing

There's no written way to use a Lance+Shield without being mounted, right?

fun? blade pact hexblade or chain pact fiend
powerful? probably tome pact hexblade

Chadlock. You whip out your big fat EB and all the hot Sorceress Staceys and Warrior Princess come running. Then they just cum.

nope

most fun? i have a friend who does GOO and focuses on communicating telepathically, and generally messes around with the NPC's in order to get the information we want. spooked a guy into disobeying a geas spell who nearly died from the psychic damage. there's also mask of many faces, allowing you to disguise yourself at will for lots of interesting shenanigans that way
as for most powerful, pretty sure just going fiend pact + tome + all the eldritch blast invocations and firing your laser all the time is the most damage efficient

you receive a penalty to attacks against enemies within 5 ft IIRC. so you'd have to keep things at a bit of range

Correct. Lances require two hands when you aren't mounted, and there's no official spell/feat/feature etc that I'm aware of that allows you to wield 2H weapons in one hand.

>starting a new player out on a spellcaster, especially a Sorcerer
FTFY
I think it sounds like you should write a book instead. Either give the players something to care about, or give them options to decide their allies on their own. Don't put a geas on the PCs.

Try making a spiderweb-like flowchart. If the lich is the end goal, then work out from there to who has links to the lich, then out to who has links to them, and so on. This way you can see where the players can bump into the web and how they can get funnelled to the lich at the end. Links can be secondary, so you can add more if you need them. They might seem minor and have the players go to somewhere deeper in the story, or they might link directly to deeper story involvement. Don't put a geas on the PCs.
Plus this kind of advice is really good.

If you wanna sneak somewhere, limit the number of people who have to make acheck and limit the number of checks you hae to make. Limit you exposure risk, basically. It would help if people could differentiate between "might be seen" situations and "might be heard" situations, at least. Each can be managed, but with darkness and obstructions, managing sight is the easiest and most straightforward.

Just started a campaign yesterday.

How would you tweak the Oath of the Ancients to suit a paladin of the sea and storm god? My GM is very open to player suggestions as l9ng as they don’t break the game, and love for us to do little flavor bits.

I’m not interested in creating a new class or changing the path in major ways, just mak8ng it a little more ‘sea and storm’ and less ‘woods and wilds’.

Give them more water based spells

Off topic, but it's a shame that Wizards made tridents into retarded ass spears. It would have been better if they were 1d8 var 1d10.

Damn shame. I prefer not having to bargain with the DM whenever possible. I'd happily take the existing penatly alongside nerfing it to a D10 when used in one hand or something. I just want to become the wall.

Is there any spells based on manipulating space?
Like warping space around myself to dodge attacks, crystalizing space to stab people like in dr strange

>he doesn't have a 26 in Passive Perception
Casual.

On a related note, I'm making my next character with the goal of achieving 30 Passive Perception in mind. My DM doesn't even use traps all that often, I just like the idea of having an Ranger that has senses so good that he makes everyone else look blind.

Thoughts on Out of the Abyss?

GOOlock's class ability Entropic Ward sort of does that. That's all I can think of

You going to dip rogue for expertise? A scout / ranger wouldn't be a bad combo.

The beginning can be a slog, but it gets to cool places once you clear the first big objective.

First demogorgon scene is really good

Conjuration? You can probably put together a bunch of spells or abilities to fit that theme if you look around. Like ice knife.

Is oath of the ancients really compatible with "sea and storm" from a thematic point of view?

I guess you could be a happy sailor and dress like one.

Thanks senpai.
The idea was a wizard who obsessively studied space and similar types of things, So his 'domain' would have fractal art and related escher type shit.

He himself would fight by cloaking himself in warped space to not be hurt, be masterful at teleportation and probably 'pause' space around enemies.

I was thinking Gloom Stalker with either Inquisitive or Scout. Scout synergizes better with Ranger, but I'm only taking 4 levels max in Rogue for roleplay reasons and figure being super good at picking out liars would be fun as well. And it's not like I'll need to optimize, extended Darkvision + Cunning Action Hide should keep me out of most trouble as long as there's some shadows or darkness around.

I was able to swing 30 passive perception by Monster Slayer 9 / Scout 4 using a variant human. There are probably faster ways to do it, but that's what I ended up with.

anybody played STR ranger?
how did you do it?

What are the most eldritch and ancient beings that a warlock could form a celestial pact with?

Of the ones in the PHB it comes closest, but doesn’t really do it for me. That’s why I’m asking for advice on how to tweak it.

>teleport behind someone and stab them through the gut with your +1 katana
>say something really cool
>tfw your party makes fun of you forever for being an edgelord

>pump str
>hit things with bits of metal
>wear metal so you dont get hit as much
you are str ftr nao

horizon walker ranger?
you get misty step at 5 and mini-etheralness at 7

you could get a cloak of displacement

I had a friend who played a STR ranger who used the dual wielding feat loophole to dual-wield bastard swords with a relatively low DEX. We called him Bastard Jack. It was 3.5 though so I'm not sure how it translates to 5e.

dual as a barb ranger. use barb in combat and ranger to stalk, track, etc.

>try to make sure you understand the rules as much as possible before playing if you're the DM.
Sure I will try. I want to run a solo adventure for my gf so it will be my first time as the DM and her first time as a player
>expanded upon via the Basic rules
Already downloaded to read-through. Also thanks for the playlist

I’ve actually been wondering the same recently. I’m planning out the setting for a thievery-based campaign with heists and other illicit deeds as the main course.
Anyone have any suggestions for how to do a thieves’ guild and manage mostly non combat roguey adventures?

I'm playing a dwarf ranger who duel wields warpicks, its pretty fun, his strength is kinda low still though and needs some work

Fuck yeah it does!

Does anyone know a way I can set up trove downloads quickly rather than downloading each PDF individually?

Doublets are just clothes, originally worn under a breastplate to prevent chafing but not adding significantly to its defensive ability. Gambesons are padded armor, sometimes worn alone, more often worn under something metal.

>There are probably faster ways to do it, but that's what I ended up with.
Eyes of the Eagle essentially give you +5 to PP, but you can't exactly control getting a magic item. As far as I can tell, level 13 is the minimum level for non-advantage based 30PP.

What would provide the strongest chainmail?
adamantine?

Outside of magic, yes

Earth Genasi Beastmaster who used a maul most of the time, with spears for range.

Stats were rolled and I ended up rolling pretty well, so I grabbed Magic Initiate (Druid) for Thorn Whip, Druidcraft, and Entangle.

Ended up being one of my favorite characters.

Traditionally, mithral, because Lord of the Rings. Adamantine chainmail would be harder but much heavier, which is especially troublesome because chainmail tends to put all its weight on the shoulders rather than distributing it evenly.

Main issue is you want 14 dex because you have medium armour. I'd imagine the best things to do would be get high strength con and wis then;
>Go V.Human so you can get heavy armour
>Get heavy armour at level 4, but your AC will be awful for level 1-3
>Go 1 fighter so you get heavy armour and GWF

or just go 16 str, 14/16 con and 14 dex and ignore wis

No choice on stats, rolled down the line
17 str/11 dex/11 con/9 int/16 wis/9 cha
dont wanna be a cleric so looking at hunter... basically need to be a v human for heavy armor (+1 str) +1 con +1 something else

Go GOOlock my nigger

>Rolling for stats

In previous editions they were roughly comparable in terms of strength and weight, the difference was in durability and scarcity. Mithril is hard as hell to come by, but its durable as fuck. Adamantite was all over the underdark, but would start to break down if exposed to sunlight. That's how previous editions ran the two as I remember it.

Swap the spells.

>1st level: absorb elements, thunderwave
>2nd level: gust of wind, warding wind
>3rd level: call lightning, tidal wave
>4th level: ice storm, watery sphere
>5th level: control winds, maelstrom

>I can only play the game if I have absolute control over every aspect of my character
>How dare a game involving dice suggest I roll them???

I get what you're asking, but for D&D at least there is a qualifiable difference between celestial and "eldritch" beings. Just because celestial beings are ancient and unfathomable doesn't make them eldritch beings per se. Eldritch and outer beings are explicitly evil, where as celestial beings are explicitly good.

Another option would be to go something that gives +2 dex and then get +1 str and dex at level 4.
Stout Halfling, Goblin and Grung would get you +1 con with the dex, but it would also limit you to either sword and board or TWF

>Rolled all 3s? Guess you're stuck kiddo, no whining now 'kay :^)

Horizon Walker + Steel Wind Strike + Cloak of Displacement. Fluff your planar stuff with space.

The Goat With A Thousand Young is nice, sometimes, relatively speaking

I guess some people consider it a role playing game (RPG) rather than a stat minmax game.

but (You) can always be that guy

Post some of your favorite homebrews!

What are the chances of that even happening?