Warhammer 40000 general - /wh40kg/

even tyranids get fat shamed edition

>Don't engage Carnac, he's an idiot who can't comprehend opinions or debates sub-edition
>Warhammer Community
warhammer-community.com/2018/01/11/painting-with-shadesgw-homepage-post-3/

>Daily Painting Video
youtube.com/watch?v=ZBI77q35hHk&t=0s

>FAQs, Errata, and Designer Commentary
warhammer-community.com/faqs/

>Rules
mega.nz/#F!bF0ExS4D!_XaMECn0K9HiJKUFSopJLA

>Other Megas
mega.nz/#F!gaBiVTKI!HTOuNx5zzNxHqT-ny-AU3A
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

>Old Black Library Mega
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

>Math-hammer 40k
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10t6_FO9mTaG8FHY4B7v6hOQgwc3gXxUiIOrMYt16I6M/edit

previous:

first for drukhari

Second for the four armed emperor

>these are the relevant factions of 40k

Fuck Imperiumfags.

im going to paint some more kroot lads, now ive already dived in and done 20/60 so im hoping you are going to back what i thought i knew about kroot.
dont they selectively evolve based on their enviroment/what they eat? because im painting them in groups of 10, so some are green and brown, some red and blue and my current batch are like a bright blue with black spots to look like some kind of poison frog.
or am i just going to get riddiculed at the table because i dont know my fluff right?

This is an updated version of a list I posted in a previous thread, any thoughts fellow bug enthusiasts?
Keep the gunline or dedicate more assault troops? I dont think many will be able to handle 2 monstrous creatures
and that many geanstealers/hormagaunts in their face turn one. If they can, then more fun for everybody!

Battalion detachment - Kraken - 1496pts

Swarmlord

Flyrant - heavy venom cannon, monstrous rending claws, adrenal glands, toxin sacs,
Chameleonic Mutation(artifact), One Step Ahead or Adaptive Biology(Warlord trait)

20 geanstealers

30 hormagaunts

1 ripper swarm

6 hive guard with impaler cannons

3 Biovores

Trigon - biostatic rattle, adrenal glands

The Flyrant will jump in and out of combat, putting hurt in wherever needed and being a hard to kill nusance.
I'm thinking I can get the hormagaunts into combat with opportunistic advance and onslaught.
The geanstealers set up with the trigon and get shot forward by the Swarmlord.
The rippers fill the detachment and can drop on an objective
The hive guard sit back with the biovores and put hurt on anything dangerous that the big guys can't charge.

Consider a squad of Venomthropes to help those Hormagaunts and the Swarmlord as they footslog across the board. Keeping more of them alive means they're a bigger tarpit, and if the Swarmlord is harder to kill, your opponent will have to dedicate even more fire power into him and not your Flyrant or Trygon.

I'm debating starting a campaign in my locals. Everyone plays casually so I don't need to worry about WAACfags ruining everything, but I want to write some semblance of a story with narrative campaigns. Has anyone had any experience?

In addition, would it be fair or stupid to create a list of generic warlord traits/chapter tactics that anyone that does not have access to a codex could use?

Nothing amazing, just the same generic stuff that every army seems to be getting. grand strategist, not moving giving cover, +1 to advance/charge rolls, stuff like that.

I could change the guard to shockcannons and drop 1 biovore to make the points, do you think that would work? That way the guard could follow along with the rest of the horde.

I still really hate the name drew carey. dru khari. Wtf were they thinking?

Have harlequins been given a retarded name yet?

there is one at my LGS that has no FW/no named characters and a giant map people play for, but it has been pretty boring lately

Going to grab the Daemons codex tomorrow. I've got like 30 pink horrors, 6 flamers, 6 screamers, a herald on a disk, a bloodthirster, 10 bloodletters, 7 hounds of khorne and a herald on a juggernaught. Aside from a lord of change, what would be some good additions based on leaks? I've got a CSM army as well so if anyone knows of some cool pairings that the new codex allows that would be appreciated.

Anyone have tips for painting Skitarii? I've started fiddling with the spindly bastards and I'm starting to realize the robe is going to be a chore.

I always hated the name dark eldar, considering they were the closest thing to the real eldar empire.

the problem with no named characters is that it limits armies like dangles, and there's like 6 dangle players at my store. I was thinking no named lords of war.

Up to you at that point. Personally, Shock Cannons aren't fantastic, as they restructure your Hive Guard to be entirely anti-vehicle, while Impaler Cannons are also good at killing infantry. Still, I usually advocate for Venomthropes in an assault based list, so it's a question of where do you want your primary damage to come from: shooting or melee?

The robe is piss easy. Leave them off of their bases to easily get access to the inside of the robe.

It's just elongating Druchii, much as Asuryani came from Asur

I dunno, Dark Eldar was always an odd name to me; It invited unfair comparisons to the Imperium v. Chaos bit and made them seem less interesting to the uninitiated.

Blame Chapterhouse.

Any new info on the bananabois? I saw the bikes, termies, and veteran / troops from the video the other day, but do we have a release date?

No

Speaking of Drukhari and harlies how will I fare against 1000 points of Blood angels with this list :

Battalion
Shadowseer (twilight pathway)
Troupe master (Fusion Pistol and kiss)
Troupe 5 (all Caress and Fusion Pistol)
Skyweavers 4 (3 zephyrglaives)
Ravager (3 disintegrator canon)

Vanguard
Archon (agoniser and parasite kiss)
Sslyth 3

I plan on setting the troupe on deep strike and use twilight pathway to get them near enough. I also plan to get most of my models on buildings, trying to occupy all the space given to avoid getting charged by deep striking BA. In that regard, if Im on the 2nd floor and they surround me on the first floor, can I still evade them or is it a stalemate as no one could charge or get in cqc for the 3 inches level difference.

best LoW ruling is to just have people ask beforehand. the no named characters thing is pretty annoying desu but it does make the game much more "ur dudes" focused. main problem is the guy restricts your army list by having you keep a core 1k the same in every game. Seems like people are bored of that and just not playing campaign games anymore

no info yet tragically

>No FW
Bloody caacfags

What's the best Forge World for Mechanicum from a statistical standpoint? I plan on taking 700-900 points worth as allies for my Grey Knights because I lack long range, tank busting, and objective campers. I was planning on taking a Magos for rerolls, two Onagers, and 3x10 Rangers with plasma and the character sniper.

Yeah, and most named characters in this edition aren't even necessarily better, except in cases like dark angels and death guard - and building your army around typhus kinda requires typhus. Really, the only problematic named characters are guys like the primarchs.

What about my second idea, with generic warlord traits/chapter tactics/stratagems for index armies?

RIP. I just want those beautiful models and some fucking foam inserts from kr multicase so they don't get fucked up, but that won't happen for a while probably.

Mars or Stygies. Also run the rangers in minimum squads.

To the user that suggested to get Betrayal at Calth for a good Black Templars beginner army, thank you! I tallied up the cost and there is over $150 value saved over buying as separate units. That's 100%! I will need to get up to six upgrade kits though (five marines each, at 30 marines total). That looks like it will be expensive. Plus upgrades to the Contemptor. Plus paints, etc. I'm probably looking at $3-400 before I even get the Land Raider. Worth it?

I definitely like having named characters available as crons as the base HQ's have basically no customization.

They won't start putting out more info until after Daemons are mostly said and done so probably a week or so until they start putting out info.

>playing with FW shit
Seriously?

Just a reminder that Chaos has been eternally BTFO by the REAL final boss.

Stygies VIII all the way. Give all those rangers snipers or take one squad with 3 snipers and 2 squads with the arc rifles to utilize the range.

it would be handy. I am starting a narrative campaign where everyone gets stranded on a planet after a warp storm, and the story progresses by people collecting that month's mcguffin through campaign game wins. I have been too lazy to really push it so far but I have 5 people interested

>Being afraid of getting cancer

>BURNING AGONY
>SCREAMING
>DYING

Would this paint scheme look good on Custodes or Tau?

Tau if anything

no, but it would be slightly less bad on tau.

I hadn't actually thought of how they chose it. Makes sense. Still would of prefered something else.

Surprised people hate the old name. They aren't really true eldar if Gav thorpe is to be believed. Eldar were race of leisure class xenos with automated everything. My source is the asuryan novel. Eldar start getting stabby just before the birth of slaanesh, But it seems like a bit before that they were relatively civilized towards each other. The dark eldar are literally dark eldar, eldar with no compassion and a vampiric need for pain, like a cold man needs warmth. I thought it's a fair name. Could be wrong though.

>final boss
>missing a digit
>no realizing someone is going to get straight 6's
>expscting anything other than _orks

That makes more sense. More special weapons. If I'm having them just camp objectives, I should probably take all the snipers, rather than an 18" Plasma. I haven't had non-vehicle plasma in so long I forgot the range is shit on them.

Cheers for the FW recommendations.

Stygies VIII seems like the one to have. I was debating between that, Lucius, and Mars. I'm not wild about the Xeno-love that Stygies shows, but I guess their hearts are in the right place.

I can do it too:
>INCONSISTENCY
>MULTILASERS
>WRITING OVER ONE ANOTHER

Prior to the fall, for thousands of years, the eldar empire had grown so bloated that they'd fallen to decadence and laziness. Commorragh was formed as nobles wanted a place to do their most depraved fucked up shit without any oversight from the commoners or people to call them out, and the city grew into a system-sized mess as it got so damn big. Even now, the drukhari FAR, FAR outnumber the craftworlders, harlequins, and exodites...combined. They're just not seen as often because they only leave the webway to do their realspace raids.

Remember that the creation of slaanesh wasn't a quick thing. It happened over millenia of the eldar falling to their own excess.

of course, millenia are fucking nothing since they were already becoming the dominant beings of the galaxy when humans were learning how fire worked.

I'm actaully considering making a Custard army as a stop gap so i can play regular games until i get my Dark Mech army up and running
I just feel they're so over designed

>I always hated the name dark eldar, considering they were the closest thing to the real eldar empire.

The true Aledari empire is the Aledari empire that fought the Necrons.

The pleasure cults abandoned Aledari traditions and gods which led to the decline and degeneration of the empire.

melee honestly, but I know how a list falls apart when they don't have ANY adequate range power. I also think shock-cannons are as radical as a geanstealer on a skateboard so I may just go with rule of cool this time. Or I could keep the impaler cannons, drop one guard and one hormagaunt to make the points.

the eldar that fought the necrons were barely more civilized than humans until the old ones enhanced them and gave them wraithbone.

But BL is consistent. And what you are citing is things from a bygone era when GW was the wildwest.

And Hivemind was consistently was shown to be a total bitch.

go away carnac.

At the very end of the War in Heaven, the Eldar were the dominate force in the galaxy with countless fleets and armies powerful enough to chase the weakened Necrons into their tombs and defeat the Korks.

yes, and it still took millenia for the eldar to become the empire that it was, and once it happened, it took even less time to start their descent into excess.

>And what you are citing is things from a bygone era when GW was the wildwest.
>And the lore moves forward as long as it's not contradicted.

Really activates the almonds

>The nu-Relic team actually read the cs goto novels
Fucking lol. No wonder the game is shit.

>but BL is consistent
M'kar being undivided, Emperor's behavior going completely 180, etc etc.
>bygone era
What happened to only when contradicted? You keep flip flopping.
>consistently shown to be a total bitch
??????????? They only show it to be a bitch when the writers want it to be, just like how anything can be a total bitch, total retard, etc. when the authors want them to be. The emperor can be a total asshole when the authors want him to be, and Be'lakor can be a total worm when the authors want him to be.

Veeky Forums still has an autistic hatred for ADB or is it over?

Farsight Enclaves and Orks

The Aledri ruled the galaxy for 60 million years. The decline happened in in like 20M. The last 10K years of the Aledari Empire does not represent the Aledari race and culture. Saying otherwise is racist.

And the things you cited weren't contradicted. The CS Goto were thrown utterly from the canon. They did not move forward.

can the carnac retardation stay in the last thread?

One millennia is basically the lifetime of one eldar though. This is like fucking up in one generation. IMO true eldar are the ones who were on the planets that mostly died. You know the majority. I take your point though. But to me commarghites are dark eldar. Normal eldar (planet eldar) were pretty vanilla compared to them. Asurayan is normal eldar. He was hanging out on some planet when it all went wrong.

As for time, Asurayan, is a bit unreliable with that as after his brother dies he hangs out in a shrine for so long there are eldar like jain zar who weren't there before the fall. And he's a bit surprised.

To me they will always be dark eldar.

Therefor there is no true lore, as everything is decided by the authors.
Congrats for finally escaping the illusion

>Take Obliterators in Tzeentch army
>Can use FREE reroll to get better results
>Cast +1 to wound spell and have them near reroll 1s to wound Warlord

Sounds pretty good. Also, Slaneesh Herald with jewel artifact is a must for every army - for essentially 1CP you can shut down Guilliman/Cawl/Relic of Lost Cadia/Chapter Master reroll bubble, or stop Magnus or Morty in their tracks so you can shoot them.

And beating 10 with 3d6 is statistically likely even before CP and FREE reroll. Really, getting battalion with brims and Heralds of Tzeentch/Slaanesh is just so efficient.

>M'kar being undivided

He isn't though. He is undefined.

>Emperor's behavior going completely 180, etc etc.

Stop being a tard. The Emperor was established to change his personality to fit who he is talking to to better manipulate them.

>What happened to only when contradicted? You keep flip flopping.

Bygone era when everything went and every didn't care. Now there is a new system.

>They only show it to be a bitch when the writers want it to be

No, Be'lakor and the Emperor have their moments. The Hivemind whenever challenged by the power of the Warp, gets trumped hard.

Yeah, stygies is excellent. You could take a battalion of a Dominus, Enginseer, max size ranger squad with 3 snipers, 2 vanguard squads with plasma, and 2 kitted out neutronagers for 750pts. Make the vanguard rangers with arc rifles and its 700.

Anyone?

craftworlders are eldar who forsook everything that made them them and hid behind their spiritstones to be protected from slaanesh

harlequins gave their souls to cegorach and forsook their existence as eldar in order to be protected from slaanesh

exodites dedicated themselves to their planet spirits and forsook everything that made them eldar to be protected from slaanesh

meanwhile, the drukhari continued to embrace everything they were doing and were forced into beginning to inflict pain as well.

I recognize your point, but the drukhari see themselves as the true eldar. The craftworlders, shameful of their past, don't deny it. The mon'keigh for the most part can't tell the difference. They may be the dark reflection of the eldar, but they are the closest thing to what the eldar empire was. I didn't call them dark eldar back in 7e, and I like the name drukhari, just like I like asuryani. They sound suitably alien and differentiate the two without making one seem superior to the other.

WRONG. The Fracture of Ball-Tan says that all Eldar faction are far removed from Aledari of old.

>Bygone era when everything went and every didn't care. Now there is a new system.
You can say that as many times as you want, it still is incompatible with
>only when contradicted

>Using drunkhari
>not going with the superior human term
Is this pleb general ?

how does that contradict what I said?

It is. The system is that IP guys review all sources about certain subject like the Hivemind being a total bitch and then they choose the best path that's fits the setting's logic, consistency, and IP appeal. So if the sources agree more with the Hivemind being a bitch and that has market appeal, GW will go with that path. And so the Hivemind is now a bitch.

ADB is a jizz stained fuck stick who needs to neck himself

Who was he described by as having multiple personalities for manipulation and seeing everyone as tools? ADB?
>new system
Yes of course, there have never been any sorts of contradictions nowadays or anything. No way anything like that has ever happened. Marine strength, weakness of certain enemies, always consistent. I love it when one day something will be extremely strong and then the next day it's as weak as a flea, shit like that. Great.
>have their moments, but the hivemind failing is simply "getting trumped hard", even when they've contested daemons pretty hard in some fights and such
You just simply don't want the idea of anything being able to face chaos do you? Oh wait, but if I were to say that then you'd say "oh man the AoS lore is all so great because things face chaos now and it's all so varied", even when it's still shit. Go back to End Times Fantasy and take your shitty hopes to ruin 40k fluff with you.

Post pics plz

You thinking that the Drukkari are close to what the Aledari were.

Drukarri are closer to the pleasure cults, not the Aledari proper.

You're picture is just describing
>only when contradicted
So
>Bygone era when everything went and every didn't care. Now there is a new system.
Is clearly false.

Fair. I just mention asuryan as I read that book not long ago, and half of it is him ignoring exodite weirdos trying to recruit him and then the craftworld weirdos who came after them. He literally thinks they're doomsayer nutters. His brother wants to be an exodite and then a craftworlder, but stays because asuryan refuses to leave. So asuryan's bro becomes a neighborhood watch eldar on the planet. Then slaanesh is born and it all goes to hell. Dark eldar think they are true kin, but the are the sickos of their race. They are still the best eldar faction, I collect them Just because they think it doesn't make it so.

so the pleasure cults weren't still the eldar empire?

last I checked, they were. Empires grow and change...unless you think Britain and japan no longer exist.

And regardless, I said they are the CLOSEST, not that they were exactly.

100 is still a closer number to 10,000 than 10 is. 100 isn't anywhere close to being the size of 10,000, but it's a hell of a lot closer than 10.

>Who was he described by as having multiple personalities for manipulation and seeing everyone as tools? ADB?

Wherever he popped up. Each character who witnesses the Emperor sees what he wants or what the Emperor wants him to see. Except the SoS who see him for what he really is.

>there have never been any sorts of contradictions nowadays or anything. No way anything like that has ever happened

Actually those are few these days because of the new system.

>You just simply don't want the idea of anything being able to face chaos do you? Oh wait, but if I were to say that then you'd say "oh man the AoS lore is all so great because things face chaos now and it's all so varied", even when it's still shit. Go back to End Times Fantasy and take your shitty hopes to ruin 40k fluff with you.

AoS Order earned the right to face Chaos after the destruction of the Old World.

40K hasn't earned the right.

And I am not advocating for the end of 40K. Just telling you your place in the totem pole.

I have no idea what you are on about. Do try to explain. You seem lost.

Just getting back into the hobby. How much did the points and rules for Space Marines differ between Index and Codex? Wanting to build a Wolf army and not sure if I should just wait until the codex is out or not.

See
Youz a rasis.

>exodites dedicated themselves to their planet spirits and forsook everything that made them eldar to be protected from slaanesh

Exodite wear spirit stone and had their own version of the Infinity circuit, No Eldar are safe from slaanesh.

The only one that close to the eldar Empire of old is the Harlequin, they're truly free, except for the Solitaire.

Joining Grand Alliance: Chaos.

Which faction is the best to start with? Or should I wait for the Thousand Sons codex?

I'm not the one pretending empires don't change over time.

Harlequin didn't except during the War in Heaven or before the Fall.

Trazyn sees them as a new and precious breed of Aledari that he didn't encounter before.

Do we have the deamon codex yet?

>explaining inconsistency in how people represented the Emperor as "seeing who or what they want, or who the emperor wants them to see"
Nice try, but that doesn't justify inconsistency.
>few these days
Doesn't mean they don't happen. Shitty inconsistency still occurs, whether it's in direction being taken or strength of certain things.
>earned the right to face chaos
That's fucking shitty bullshit and you know it. That defeats the point of having the 40k part of the setting, why not just blow the shit up now and move on?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>not advocating for the end of 40k
>"Be'lakor is the best and is going to end the universe, Chaos always wins, nothing ever challenges Chaos, etc."
Sure.
>pulling the whole "oh you're so lost I can't understand you" when you want to ignore something
Jesus fuck end yourself.

>judging people by the lowest point of their history

You disgust me.

Are Nidfags worse than Guardfags?

It's out today.

> Everyone at the LGS already bought new armies, waited it out so probably gonna be the only one playing Custard Creams for a while

When will that bitch hurry up and assist ynnead with her death? Ynarri go and stay go.

>Nice try, but that doesn't justify inconsistency.

That's a none point. The Emperor is a changeling. You throwing a fit over that is stupid.

>Doesn't mean they don't happen.

And when they do they will get fixed as LG demonstrated. They are rarer now since GW restructured so all three firms now work together.

>That defeats the point of having the 40k part of the setting

No, it doesn't. Refer to the ADB's MoM Afterword.

>why not just blow the shit up now and move on?

Because 40K is about defying the end. Raging against the dark. One more hopeless and valiant stand before being crushed by overwhelming odds.

>Sure.

And nothing about it has me saying I WANT IT NOW. Actually, I want to know all the secrets of 40K before it ends.

>Jesus fuck end yourself.

EXPLAIN.

humm, really made me think

Depends what you think is worse
> Nid player at my LGS is a pretty nice guy, but I suspect he might be a furry
> Guard player is also pretty nice, but he’s a bloody encyclopaedia for WW2 history and never shuts up

Take your pick

>pretending those parts of a people's history didn't exist
that's kinda fucked up.

Eldars were made for breeding

>a not obnoxious furfag
>bad
You have a fur that isnt OUT AND PROUD and you're not fucking him on the side? He literally suck your cock for doggy treats. What are you, gay?