How would you go about designing/defending a castle in a world with not only flying enemies...

How would you go about designing/defending a castle in a world with not only flying enemies, but creatures that can teleport?

Our party got a bunch of land and titles in our 5e campaign, and we'd like to not get fucked in the way we fucked up the previous landholders.

>flying enemies
Archers
>teleport
Most people shouldn't be doing this shit unless you pissed off a specific group of elite enemies. Nothing some guards can't fix by stabbing.

Basically if you own a fucking castle of all things you should be hiring guards to defend it, not just treating it is as some huge mansion. If a number of guards can't defend the thing because dozens of elite wizards are misty stepping inside and lobbing fireballs at you while pegasi-riding knights are coming in for an aerial sweep, you've made enemies of the wrong people. Or your DM is an ass that made a world where everyone is overpowered.

BUILD
A
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME

Wards against teleportation, etc., everywhere except at the bottom of the cess pit...

For teleporters, hazards on both sides of the wall, so when they try and teleport in, dependant on how teleportation works, it either fizzles or they frag themselves.

>teleport
this is why interior traps are a thing, unless the enemy wizard is dedicating his entire spell list to bypassing floor traps, proximity triggers, and warding glyphs on doorknobs, your intruders will have to slow down allowing your guards to rally an effective response. and if he does, your precautions have preemptively removed a wizard from the fight - no small accomplishment.
Never forget to make your decorations useful! commission your statues to be built as small golems or gargoyles. if the elite strike team attempting to strike behind the lines with teleportation find themselves beset on all sides, and faced with a lethal slog through traps and guards alike, they will likely reconsider their plans.

Well, why would you build a castle if you’re trying to defend yourself from creatures that can go over or through walls? If you have to deal with flying opponents, the structure you want is something more like a bunker, isn’t it? And there’s no structural defense against a teleporter, unless you count magic. You’d want to hide from them, or confuse them, or set traps for them.

Would a maze be effective against teleporters? If you designed it to look uniform, it’d be difficult for a teleporter to recall a specific place well enough to go there, and an incautious teleporter might get lost quickly if they tried to jump through the maze rather than map it.

Reminds me of this.

Also the dwarves got it right. Bunkers bitches.

First thing that came into my mind

Import faerzress.

The best defense against teleportation is a hyperbolic interior. Normal coordinates just stop fucking working and trying to survey the area with scrying will literally melt your brain.

Why is it called Tippy?

Confusing interiors with secret passages and dead ends known only to staff and guards are good ways to deal with teleportation, as well as traps of various sorts. And if they exist in your setting, some kind of warding or runes or whatever anti-teleportation shit would be needed would be worth investing in.

So, the answer is to build a dungeon.

You had to figure there was a reason dungeons existed.

How exactly do you import underdark radiation.

you didn't think all those acid pits were purely cosmetic did you? in a world with magic, you have to think about defense from multiple angles of attack.

>The only way to defend against teleportation is to build your house like a duck's vagina

well at least I now have a template to fill with rooms for my next dungeon dive.

If the teleport has limited range then that should be easy to deal with

Start with tenotichilan. A city/fortress built on water. If there's enough of a tide, then the constant shifting up and down would make it impossible to accurately teleport inside the Fortress itself without risking appearing inside a floor or ceiling. Build the roofs wide and sloping, and cover in the entire facility. Plenty of archery slots and murder holes pointing up so The Archers can fire up words from cover. Regular guard Patrols, all of them with a daily changing id symbol and strict instructions that anyone claiming to be performing a surprise inspection is to be executed on sight. Guard patrols should be spaced so that each group of three guards moves together and has line of sight at all times to both the group ahead and the group behind. Each guard should be equipped with a whistle of some kind that can be used as a signal the moment danger appears.

Cloaca

Tomato potato

Lol there is no way that’s the correct spelling of tenochitlan(sp)

>mfw seeing wizard gets insta-gibbed trying to teleport inside the castle.

I copy/pasted from a national geographic article to make sure I got it close to correct.

>OP of the Tippyverse is called Tippy
Gee, I wonder why!

>playing in games where teleportation is a thing and flying is anything isn't an insane, epic level feat

Never had to fight off a harpy migration or an infestation of Boggles, huh? It's OK, newbie. You'll get around to it eventually.

>How would you go about designing/defending a castle in a world with not only flying enemies, but creatures that can teleport?
First:
>there’s no structural defense against a teleporter, unless you count magic

As far as flying, I came to Veeky Forums over three years ago seeking a design for a fortress that needed occasional defense against JP raptor sized dragons.

The solution we arrived at was suspended chains with razor sharp blades to slice and wound any would-be flying attacker.
They would canvas the sky across the castle something like pic related, only cris-crossed and tighter together.