/STG/ - Star Trek General

Sick Gains Edition

Previous Thread: A thread for discussing the 'Star Trek' franchise and its various tabletop adaptations.

Possible topics include Modiphius' new rpg 'Star Trek Adventures', WizKids miniatures game 'Star Trek: Attack Wing', and Gale Force Nine's board game 'Star Trek: Ascendancy', as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and the Star Trek universe in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures
-Official Modiphius Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>modiphius.com/star-trek.html
-PDF Collection
>mediafire.com/folder/0w33ywljd1pdt/Star_Trek_Adventures

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

Star Trek: Attack Wing
-Official WizKids Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

Star Trek: Ascendancy
-Official Gale Force Nine Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>startrek.gf9games.com/

Star Trek: Fleet Captain
-Official WizKids Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/star-trek-fleet-captains/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP

Other urls found in this thread:

scifiideas.com/technobabble-generator/
youtube.com/watch?v=MHCx9Lx26Wo
youtu.be/nNGFq4vjIkg?t=5m37s
arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10770174
arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10764734-introducing:-re-engineering!
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Seed up me hearties, yo ho.
>STD11

The World of the Orville book comes out this week, though a few have got their hands already. Gonna pick up a copy and see how it is. Hopefully it's got a bunch of interesting world building info mixed in with the production stuff, though that's also interesting to me.

Anyone know where to find the core rulebook for Star Trek Adventures?

It's not in the pdf collection.

So long as it comes with some nice concept art, I’m sold.

This comes up literally every thread. Try looking at those. And whoever does the next thread please have the OP add something to stop shit like this.

There's only 2 threads and they both link to the same pdf collection without the core rulebook.

I did look at the other thread and there nothing.

how about you just post the link and it will remain in this thread and noone will ask any more.

Either you're new or you're a Modiphius plant to find the guy giving it out via Discord. Regardless, fuck off.

There is no consistent link, this is the issue we have to explain every thread. Modiphius keeps taking them down. Your best bet is to check the Veeky Forums Archive for it (has it sometimes) or to ask the one Discord user who is sometimes in-thread to send it to you that way.

Like I said, I already tried that. I'm not a newfag like that other guy.

Thanks though.

To be clear, you checked the full Veeky Forums Archive, not just the one in the OP, right? Sometimes Da' Archive has it. If so, all I've got is check in with the Discord guy, if he's even around. No one else has it and access is genuinely difficult.

MAJOR STD S01E11 SPOILERS
This was... actually a decent episode. Given that we knew via out-of-band IRL leaks that Tyler was Voq, they handled the "oho, WHAT A TWEEST" reveal fairly well - a Klingon sees his own mirror counterpart acting un-Klingon and spergs out. Spacing Tyler/Voq as a way to sneak the Future Crystal Floppy Diskette off the ship was a nice touch. The ooga booga space mushroom alternate dimension was about on par for STD cringe, but meeting Mirror Mushroom Man's spirit/katra/whatever there was certainly a surprise.

Also, Is Philippa Georgiou the granddaughter of Hoshi Sato? Hoshi would have been 73 in 2202 when Philippa was born, and it would make sense that the ruthless little bitch that Mirror Hoshi was would survive as empress long enough to establish a hereditary dynasty. Given that the same people are born to the same parents in both universes it would therefore carry over to Prime as well.

about 1 in 6 people today are of Chinese/Han extraction, with that proportion likely to remain about the same

i'm not saying they're not related,
just that there's a whole lot of other unrelated people they could be, especially given the nature of advancement within the Empire (not least the way Hoshi got her rule on) making it seem unlikely dynastic politics as we know them could really take off in the age of the phaser

i thought i caught something about the Empress having ruled x years, but i forget how long; also, was that the Defiant that showed up at the end to glass the rebels?

plus while i liked the story (and I like the show generally), it's kind of... strange that with the Defiant and nearly a century the Terrans haven't wiped out the rebels, especially if they're willing to orbital bombardment whole planets

It's probably the Defiant, since the show was very careful to keep the ship itself offscreen. The Defiant was Mirror Hoshi's ride when she became Empress, so it likely is still the Imperial flagship. By the same token, having a 2260s Connie around didn't seem to help the rest of the empire advance any faster, since paranoid autocrats would have forbidden sharing the Defiant's technologies on pain of death. We know from TOS that they developed at the same pace and only had other 2260s-equivalent Connies in deployment by the 2260s.

>that dead ringer God-Emperor look

Jesus Christ. That said, STD is finally being it's own thing and I admit I'm liking it. It's absolutely fucking bonkers but I like it.

I know the Dominion war-refit galaxies were basically just space frames with all the science labs stripped out, but, given the amount of internal space the galaxy has, why didnt anyone just stuff the saucers full of torp launchers, VLS style? If they can Cram 15 torp launhcers intot he little pod on the Akira, A galaxy would be no problem. Hell, you could make a galaxy a massive carrier if you wanted, plonking 4 or so of the main shuttle-bay doors around the saucer section and convert most of the internal space into a hangar.

That was literally the point of the Akira design.

Yes, but they could have made the galaxies a bigger badder Akira, if they wanted.

the extra space on the war refit Galaxies was used for additional backup fusion generators, augmented shield generators as well as mass transporters and barracks for transporting and deploying troops.

Oh. Okay, that makes more sense.

i would assume there was some supplemental life support as well. Standard max crew compliment for a Galaxy in Explorer configuration is 1500. Eneterprise D usually carried a crew right around 1000 to leave free space for colonists or additional scientists and the like as well as family members. The max emergency capacity was 15,000, though which an Explorer fitted galaxy could sustain for several months if necessary. I haven't found how many troops the Combat configured Galaxy regularly carried, but given the internal volume, it's reasonable to assume a regular crew of 1500 to 2000 as long as personnel were available. Crew quarters would look more like the Excelsior in ST:VI with all but the most senior officers sharing quarters and the rest of the space being vast barracks with adjacent limited recreation and dining areas as well as mass transporters. Figure the ability to transport between 10,000 and 13,000 troops. The troop barracks would be in the saucer. Saucer separation would be used for some combat insertions. The Galaxy would separate while at warp keeping the saucer in the warp bubble. As the ships transitioned to impulse the stardrive section would begin targeting defense platforms and enemy ships while the saucer closed and began beaming troops to the target planet via the mass transporters. If transporter scramblers are in use (likely) the saucer would instead deploy troops via combat landing shuttles while covering with it's main phaser arrays and the photon torpedo tube normally masked when docked configuration.

Also, a thing to keep in mind is that while we never saw it from the inside and only once with the main suttlebay door opened from the outside, Shuttlebay One on Enterprise D was immense and took up a significant part of the saucers internal volume.

>Purging of Xenos intensifies

>I haven't found how many troops the Combat configured Galaxy regularly carried, but given the internal volume, it's reasonable to assume a regular crew of 1500 to 2000 as long as personnel were available.
The alternate timeline Ent-D was capable of transporting over 6,000. Though obviously that's a timeline where the Federation has been at war for 20 years, it doesn't seem like the ship itself was too different aside from a different look, and it's reasonable to assume the prime timeline Galaxy could carry as much.

The DS9 Technical Manual gives the Galaxy an emergency capacity of 15,000. It would be reasonable to assume that standard operational maximum would be about half of that.

>That said, STD is finally being it's own thing and I admit I'm liking it. It's absolutely fucking bonkers but I like it.
That's more or less how I feel about these episodes aswell. Besides them failing to kill off Stamets in favour of new, more interesting chracters, I feel like this plotline fits better with the feel of the show.

I'm glad they've done away with a lot of pretense this episode. We all basically knew Ash was Voq. I'm glad they didn't try to string his reveal to the crew out. We also all knew that Georgiou was going to be the Empress, so just getting that out in the open is appreciated.

Just finished DS9 and now I got a question stuck in my head. Is that whole technobabble they use in Trek based on actual science or do they just improvise stuff that makes them sound smart?

I'm morbidly curious to see what STD Cardassians would look like. I was hoping they would be part of the rebels.

Teh may or may not be some half-arsed attempt towards internal consistancy but it is all bullshit.

scifiideas.com/technobabble-generator/

Little bit of both, with a much heavier reliance on bullshit. A lot of stuff they come up with is very loosely based off of some real world theory. But when I say loosely based, I mean they just borrow some sciency words and mash em' together. Just llok at how frequently tachyons are thrown at a problem.

Thanks, thought as much.

>yfw STD becomes "mirror universe"- the Star Trek show

>Horatio origin story

I'm entirely ok with that. The Spore Drive and Klingon War storyline was pretty shit. Now hopefully the Taylor/Voq is done too.

Say what you will about the Empress, she gets shit done

That was basically a Exterminatus from the God Emperor. I love it.

Ok, what the fuck is this? Did STD get better?

Yes, actually.

It's still a bit shaky but the current arc is pretty interesting.

May i see it?

I'm glad that Star Trek occasionally remembers that photon torpedoes are actually multi-megaton yield strategic weapons instead of firecracker lightballs they're most of the time portrayed as.

So this just came in the mail. Probably one of the most obscure and vastly underrated ship designs in all of Trek canon.

The Xindi aquatic carrier?

Just a cruiser but I heard STO turned it into a carrier. It's fitting though since it could carry entire ships in its hull.

Voth or Xindi-Aquatic?

I would be okay with that look. I get that the rubber-forehead alien look was because of money and technology limits. I'm totally okay with the major alien races being more alien.

The latter. Voth city ship looks like this. Not as interesting imo but they're both massive ships and I always like when they introduce powers more advanced than the Federation that aren't either evil or god-level.

I was actually thinking about that, and it makes a lot of sense. In space, there's no atmosphere to create and propagate a shock wave, so most of a photon torpedo's energy would be released as radiation. Big flash, not a whole lot of fireball.

In an atmosphere, where an explosion causes a shockwave and fireball, you get massive devastation.

how do we go from this to comedy sex pests in just 100 years

youtube.com/watch?v=MHCx9Lx26Wo

It looks a lot like something else I've seen but I can't figure out what.

It is a nice design though.

Is it funny that the mirror universe characters are all much less petty and dickish than their regular counterparts? I mean, they're all mustache-twirlingly evil, sure, but they're not as childish.

The concept in the upper right looks like a Dominion ship.

From the thumbnail I first thought that was a White Star model desu

Given that Voq is fully awakened and in a close space with Loreal I really doubt it.

GW ON SUICIDE WATCH!

I want it so bad but you know CBS doesn't have the balls

Doesn't look like it in the next episode preview, assuming it's the same ship.

That could be it. it does have a Minbari-ish (being a space-fish) look.

It does. Also with the nacelles it looks too star trek, where as with the rings it still somehow looks star trek but also not. Probably just due to being a sleek, clean design which is the far less common style these days, but still with a recognisable ship/engine separation with no big exhausts and the like.
Sufficed to say, Orville's really grown on me as a design.

Still looks like a shoe to me.

Looks like a vagina to me. I dunno, I don't hate it but I just wish it had something resembling "wings". Either swept up or down. The engines on the Orville and co. just don't give the sensation of striking out into the unknown.

More like... paddling or shuffling or something.

It's fine; Voyager to me looks like a trowel.

How could you hate someone who looks so happy?

Just how large are her quarters? I'm pretty sure that's larger than Ten-Forward, or floor 1 at Quarks'.

Maybe they have a spa?

It's her quarters.

That would be a bit enormous indeed then.

Welcome to STD: no sense of scale.

>No flaming sword
>no grandiose designs on the armour
>not even power armour at all
0/10 would not crusade with

Photon torpedoes feature 1 kilogram of Antimatter as a warhead
that equals 42.96 megatons of kaboom

They're also designed to fire in variable yields.

It doesn't seem that big to me. Anyway, it's the Captain's quarters on a Terran starship. If anything I'm surprised it's not more opulent.

twice that actually, that's just the energy content of the antimatter itself, it's also going to convert a kilo of matter with it.
So that's 85.92 Megatons for a 1kg warhead.

I hear you man, im surprized it's not something closer to this.

youtu.be/nNGFq4vjIkg?t=5m37s

was it ever said how large the ship was?
the total internal area can get surprisingly high for bigger ships

I'd be surprised if it's much bigger than Picard's quarters, if at all. The length is about four beds, maybe five, and two bed (lengths) wide. Also, she's the captain.
According to Eaglemoss the thing is about the size of a Sovereign. About as long, wider, but not as tall I think.

though isn't most of the length of discovery and shenzou the nacelles being way far back?

>Big Cosmology protects Schlezholt's Theory of Multiple Big Bangs hoax from being exposed.jpg

I haven't watched Discovery yet, so I don't know the context here, but her facial expression looked mildly disturbed and worried, like she knows she's gonna have to suck his weird alien dick after this.

Just a heads up for STO players.
There's a free giveaway on character suits today.

arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10770174

>how about you just post the link and it will remain in this thread and noone will ask any more.

Fuck off, Modiphius.

The thread you claim to have checked explained why there's no long term link to the STA pdf. You're not going to trick us into giving you a link you can then DCMA.

A standard torpedo can be up to (that we know of) 80 isotons as of The Omega Directive.

The horrifically in-depth talk page for Isoton at MA has that at about 300 megatons from a single detonation (from a torpedo casing large enough to put a dead Vulcan in snugly, but small enough to fire from a shuttlecraft.

Ooh, here's hoping they give out a ship later this week and that it's something I don't already have.

And the Sovereign's aren't?

Same hopes here.

Also, THE THING THAT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED COUPLE OF YEARS AGO IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN, WEAPONS DEALERS ACROSS THE STO ARE WEEPING!

arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10764734-introducing:-re-engineering!

>Weeping
Meant to say creaming their pants.

Minbar called, their want the Whitestar back.

Are there any leak sources out there anymore? I'm wondering what C-Store ships are coming next.

Only sources i got are some people who know people who know sources.

Anyways, here's what i have heard.
>Next lockbox has phaser type weapons in it
>Lots of item names are references to STD episodes, stuff like Ash Tyler, Para bellum and choose your pain
>Choose your pains sound file sounds electric, so maybe it's some sorta weaponized agonizer

"The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force of our lives. We work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity. So here's some slot machines, motherfuckers." -- Jean-Luc Picard

by eye I would say a Sovereign is somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 nacelle, whereas Discovery seems to be almost 1/2

Phew thanks, I was about to shut down my pc.

Is that a remote control Danube?

no, it's an actual runabout that's been shrunk because of wormhole shenanigans

For the unaware, Modiphius put out a bunch of stats for the TOS and TNG senior staff. In them are rules for playing a Soong-type android. What, if any, circumstances would you allow such a character?

>What, if any, circumstances would you allow such a character?
Virtually no circumstances. The lore's pretty damn clear, there are basically no more Soong-type androids running around. I might allow it if we're in post-Voyager and it is fluffed as someone has figured out how to create another android but it is still in the experimental stages.

More Soong-types feels like it has a huge problem; Shrinking the universe. Basically the equivalent of having Riker for an uncle or other famous officer.

Wonder what the chances of getting the Terran refit USS Defiant in game are.