Why do you hate Adventuring Guilds again?

They seem like they can be a lot of fun when done right. They can just be a net-work of friendly npcs in a large town if you want small scale stuff, a good general use mercenary/exploration group at mid level, or a fantasy Justice League at high level. Even when played completely straight like a JRPG it would make sense to have a service like that in a world of high powered heroes and monsters.

I feel a Monster Hunters' Guild would make more sense.

Because I like Heroes Guilds better.

>Adventurers Guild
>doesn't have a system of master and apprentice adventurers
>doesn't force everyone who wants to be an adventurer to join
>doesn't have vicious disputes over legal technicalities with the Travelers Guild, the Explorers Guild, and the Heroes Guild

I prefer Explorers' Guilds, Opportunists' Societies, Swashbucklers' Soirees, and Champions' Associations.

Imho
Adventure and "hero" guilds are oxymorons. If you have a group of heroes, they are more of a fighting force with some sort of agenda, maybe its good, but then its just a free police force. If enough people are going on adventures to form their own organization, then that kind of sucks the soul out of the whole experience.

On the other hand, i think mercenary guilds are a great idea, so that nationless soldiers fighting for the highest bidder have an organization to fall back on, and resolve issues.

I prefer mercenaries, vegabonds, explorer societies, and graverobbers rather than adventuring guilds.

I am all for player characters being part of a cool organization of highly-competent go-getters like themselves, but making said organization an "adventurers' guild" seems like the laziest and nearly the least sensical way to go about it.

I don't really hav anything against them, I'm just 100% uninterested in settings where having them makes sense.

My setting has it all. Also it's illegal to talk about information that leads to adventuring endeavors in taverns and inns. This shit should be brought straight to the syndicate.

Because it feels like a video game. Too meta, and reminds that you're playing a game. Adventurer guilds make no sense in execution.

If it isn't a guild, don't call it a guild.

What lind of job is ''Adventuring'' supposed to be, anyway? Monster extermination? Bandit extermination? Treasure hunting? Is any of this so profitable as to allow a guild, name deserving or not, to exist?

If the job:
- Involves violence on which the state lacks a monopoly;
- Involves too much violence for the customer to do it; and
- Involves too little violence for the state to do it,
Then hiring an adven--er, a FREELANCE POLICEMAN may be to your advantage.

Grates me about Adventurers Guilds is that it makes no sense. Goblin Slayer manga for example. While fun in how it handles strategy, it falls flat in world-building when you have numerous, powerful, dangerous goblin warbands roaming the countryside and killing entire towns, and ''nobody does anything because powerful adventurers would rather fight demon lords, while weak adventurers perish (and get raped) in the attempt).

Okay, and what about the town guard? Or the army? Why does everything fall in the shoulders of some 4 adventurer guys?

And second is that it treats monsters as fodder with no real civilization, all of them clumped into the same monster category like the monsters only existed to give gold and exp. Literally, the dragons and demons do jack shit, but wait until a party of 4 comes around to kill them.

It's like you took a Japanese RPG mechanics at face value and built the entire setting around numbers, levels, and quests. The rest of the world be damned.

>inb4 Japanese RPG anime fight scene where the characters shout ''HP UP, SPIRIT UP, HASTE + 2, FIRE ENCHANTMENT, LIGHT UP 10+'' when casting spells.

We have this thread every day

How do you start your campaign if you can't talk about endeavors that lead to adventuring in a tavern?

I've never been a big fan of "adventurer" being a formal, recognized profession. Just seems silly to me, especially considering the diverse skill sets they bring to the table and the organizations they're almost certainly part of as last of their primary job. Mage academies, crime syndicates, churches, mercenary bands, etc.

I'll be honest I mostly handle "Adventurers" like superheroes so the closest thing to a Guild I ever had was something akin to the Justice League or Avengers a large network of heroes who have worked together in the past and can be called on to rapidly assemble if shit hits the fan
No real oversight just a group of like minded individuals coming together to do things they can't alone

They only work in "humans overwhelmed in a world of monsters" settings like Hunter x Hunter. In campaigns where there are settlements all over the world, monsters do shit other than devouring stuff and the map is charted they are just plain retarded, it would be more appropiate to call them murderhobo gangs.

I don't hate Adventurer's Guilds as a concept. I do hate Angela Anaconda though, so you can go suck a bag of syphilitic dicks OP.

Basically how I run adventuring guilds right here.

The "Adventurer" guild is actually the Slayer's Guild, Which formed out of several organisations designed to fend off the Monsters of the Northern wastes united and began to profit from the rare materials such hunts could provide.

Eventually the Hunting Union gathered interest from Universities and merchant guilds, providing mercentile backing.

Random adventurers going off into the Northern territories often just provoke and anger vast swathes of beasts, so "Illegal" Hunting is bad.

Because it turns adventuring into a job. We play rpgs with adventure in them to get away from that shit.

this

>inb4 Japanese RPG anime fight scene where the characters shout ''HP UP, SPIRIT UP, HASTE + 2, FIRE ENCHANTMENT, LIGHT UP 10+'' when casting spells.
I tried watching that Overlord anime everyone seemed so crazy about. The fights are fucking retarded.

Fuck JRPGs and the sad twats that obsess over them, they’re only good for stealing art.

This again? Have you not been saged enough?