Trying again, with greater clarity:

Trying again, with greater clarity:

How can you still have "poor/impoverished/needy people" in a setting with a high enough magic or tech level that nobody has to worry about acquiring food, water, shelter, or basic household tools? Think less "generic fantasy setting," think more "grand-scale setting with very high magic/tech level."

For this purpose, "nobody has to worry about X" actually means it. There may be hoarders, but they do not make it troublesome for anyone else acquire these things.

Assume that food and water is handled by trivially-available versions of something like 3.X/Pathfinder's Ring of Sustenance or Starfinder's Clear Spindle Aeon Stones. Very, very trivially-available.

Construction has advanced such that housing is commonly available.

Household tools are provided by something similar to Pathfinder's Traveler's Any-Tool, a very cheap magic item that can replicate many tools.

Assume that all of these really are in such abundance that essentially anyone can pick them up.

The only reason why I want "poor/impoverished/needy people" is so that I can still run "magical fairy/space princess goes incognito to spend time with and help the poor" storylines.

Other urls found in this thread:

smbc-comics.com/?id=2305.
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You mean post-scarcity? Wage slaves. Maybe actual slaves.

They're undocumented migrants that refuse to assimilate to the host culture, regardless of how much aid they're given

Honestly, if you wana run a game with stories about poor people, you're probably better off changing up your setting a bit to be more conducive to, y'know, having poor people. Instead of going out of your way to shoot down any chance of them existing in the first place.

Read up on Pareto distributions.

It's simple.

You run a setting where such a plot makes sense, not make a setting and then go all "wait, i want to run this plot, how do i shove round setting into square hole".

This is why excessive worldbuilding tends to create shitty plots.

Also your favorite 2hu is a shit

Limited magic users, limited reagents, authoritarianism, racism, magical incompatibility, or maybe just plan uncaring "just because I can pull 5000 fish out of a hat doesn't mean I have to feed riff raff."
C'mon son use your noggin

Honestly, the easiest way I can think of pulling it off is to do something similar to modern era problems. Unless a benevolent entity is bankrolling it, there won't be much incentive to make something so prolific and easily accessible to all (unless it is nearly cost and hassle free to make them, but that's a whole 'nother level of magic).
More resources are used in profitable ventures, like defense and exploration/exploitation than basic amenities for the poor.
Consolidation of stuff that could be used for the poor to instead make less useful luxury goods such as grains being converted to large scale meats instead of use for bread and other uses.
Of course this is all countered by your requirement, but there's always frontier areas that might not have the benefit of a well supported infrastructure and charity network, so maybe some things just don't last forever where you are, and thus become dilapidated after a while when the money dries up and the people don't have a way out.
The problem usually is that post scarcity tends to be post conflict, which tends to be counter to most RPGs.

You can't, people actually have to need something in order to be considered to be in a situation of need, maybe you can use LARPers who pretend to be poor out of boredom.

-large cult of aescetic monks who refuse to own anything and still beg to survive
-anti-tech religion with sizable following or specific geographic area (amish)
-anti-magic zone or large scale magic dampening as area to exile undesirables or as a method of tax enforcement
-crazy disease, racial quality, curse, ect that makes population require unreplicatable substance or magical energy to survive, reproduce, be happy, retain memories, be able to communicate, retain sentience, ect
-extremely striated culture inwhich social standing determines every opportunity for goal advancement and happiness with a universal social capital quotient'/ranking system easily viewed. adjusted, and compared via tech or magic

geez i guess you will always have poor people, even if they are just poor of imagination like OP
{-5 social capital credits}
-

You don't
You can't claim your world has everything from shelter and food in such high abundance that homeless is essentially impossible because they pretty much give all that shit away for free, and then say it has a noticeable homeless population; it's a contradiction.
It'd be like saying you want to introduce the idea of a guy who travels through space in a setting where space literally doesn't exist.

>Every single homeless person in this post-scarcity magic world is a rich kid/mystical entity pretending to be poor
>None of them are aware of this

I'm glad you're trying harder with your threads, but you should be able to understand with your autism that "nobody has to worry about acquiring food, water, shelter, or basic household tools" and "improverished/poor/needy people" are mutually exclusive concepts.

tl;dr:
>poor people
>nobody is poor
Pick one.

>How can you still have "poor/impoverished/needy people" in a setting with a high enough magic or tech level that nobody has to worry about acquiring food, water, shelter, or basic household tools?
I just assume it's the same reason we can put a man on the moon, but not create a society that doesn't let people fall through the cracks.

Now watch as OP ignores you and creates five more threads about this until he gets bored and jumps to another, no less autistic setting "idea".

nah nigga

Hell, with the last thread you could at least give legitimate arguments for why poverty worked in the setting, by explaining it "better" he's actually gone and made the second attempt more retarded than the first.

Only three ways.
1, these people are a cult, or other organization that see technology/magic as a sin
2, these people represent a population of undesirables, whether because they are of a particular breed or nation, or have some sickness or deformity, or generally some signifying reason that the rest of the world does not want to associate with. Or maybe the magic/tech just doesn't work for them.
3, these people are slaves, and the magic/tech society has to harvest these people's mana/put them to work doing something in order for the whole structure to work.

That's it. There's no other way beyond people choosing/pretending to be homeless for no reason.

Well, he's been here for like ten years, no chance we'd be so lucky he'd leave now. I expect to see this or some other similarly retarded idea keep coming up over the next week or so.

>Diehard historical reenactors take to the streets to live the lifestyle of the poor from ages past, begging for change and mugging people in alleys

>I want to show hardship
>But I don't actually want to show any real hardship
So basically a tumblr webcomic?

Best you can get is people who don't have access to higher level magic.

>oh no i have to walk instead of teleporting

Best because BAD END where princess is raped and murdered by the people she wished to help.

Just like Sweden and Germany.

part and parcel, user

Shoo, shoo, /pol/. We don't want you here.

Yes, we wouldn't want /pol/ to ruin such a promising thread

Because at some point or another someone in their family or they themselves fucked up to the point where they are considered individuals who are not allowed access to that magic.

Maybe a war fought in the far distant past. Or a revolt or magical mistake that killed hundreds or thousands.

>How can you still have "poor/impoverished/needy people" in a setting with a high enough magic or tech level that nobody has to worry about acquiring food, water, shelter, or basic household tools?

Substance abuse.

>Or maybe the magic/tech just doesn't work for them.

This is the version I will ultimately be going with. It seems like an interesting idea to say that, yes, there is magic/technology to eliminate the need for food and drink and generate common household tools, but it simply refuses to function for a certain percentage of the population.

This could perhaps be a recent development, which means that others struggle to feed and equip these people.

You mean why game settings written predominately in the 80s have issues with such concepts like post-scarcity and then everyone copying as standard sticking to it?
Dunno, user. Dunno.

in the real world we have the industrial power and food surplaces for everybody to be well fed, well housed, getting free healthcare, and hooked up to amenities like gas/wifi/electricity/water/.
Why don't we do that? Answer's on a postcard, kids.

I think someone needs a Hinacle

In trying to force out any discussion that doesn't conform to your ideological perception of the world, you're the one that belongs on /pol/. Stop politicizing threads by accusing everyone that challenges your mindset for being from /pol/.

They're even using spoilers, for fucks sake, just trying to not upset you faggots.

fucking this

magic just makes it leaps and bounds worse because those who can use or have access to magic are literally a different class of people

and because people are petty shits those that wield that power will do whatever it takes to consolidate and protect their power while denying it to others

Because a player's understanding of the setting and their approach to it is not the same as how player characters do so.
You are applying an extremely warped view of the setting and calling it truth.

Except we don't have that, by far. Everyone adopting a western living-standard all at once would be absolutely devastating in every imaginable way, and unsustainable past it's first minute. We need to reduce the surplus population by to about one billion, preferably half a billion to allow growth.

How about you use an argument instead of trying to stifle a probable cause to the situation presented by op.
As for op setting I can see the higher class wanting to keep the rift between the people and consciously denying resources to the lower class.

Wow, this is... sad.

>This is the version I will ultimately be going with. It seems like an interesting idea to say that, yes, there is magic/technology to eliminate the need for food and drink and generate common household tools, but it simply refuses to function for a certain percentage of the population.

>instead of not making my setting follow retarded an self-contradictory arbitrary rules for the sake of "story", i'm gonna put a band-aid on a gaping plot hole and hope it doesn't tear off!

It can't be just autism, lads. This dude's mind clearly never advanced past kindergarten.

Why did they even let him back on here

>RELATIVELY poor, as in wealthy according to 20th century Earth standards, but not to average future economy
>by choice, basically future Diogenes
>they are provided enough to live comfortably, but are shit at managing their money/resources
>common ideology requires that every person has to work for their survival because *insert moral justification*

>they are provided enough to live comfortably, but are shit at managing their money/resources
Why does this sound so goddamn familiar?

By shifting what they DON'T have.
>Education?
>Variety?
>Freedom?
>Entertainment?
>Purpose?
I hold tight to a shitty worldbuild oc where the 99% are given housing, heavy duty clothing and nutrient gruel. Everyone wants to work because a wage allows for a standard of Living instead of just existing

post-scarcity only works for people that can use magic.
some is born without magic.

the history of all society is the history of class struggle.

you keep telling yourself that, whatever lets you sleep at night.

>muh ahistorical grasp of political development veiled in marxist rhetoric
Go back to /pol/.

This parallel does not stand because none of the host countries were/are post-scarcity, and for a very good reason.

To have a post-scarcity world, you need an extremely robust culture that should be along the lines of gommunism but turned up to eleven. Infinite resources yet nobody is up to abuse the situation (and thus crash it with no survivors)? Come on, you need transhumanity to pull this shit. That, in turn, is quite far away from the Eternal Cucks of the North and the WE WUZ PRUSSIANS'N'SHEET tier "cultures" the countries in the example have.

A post-scarcity host would grind any migrants into dust culturally, whether they want it or not. There is no other way around it.

It's true, and there's literally zero evidence suggesting otherwise. You can argue that distribution is the problem, but it is an insurmoutable one, and even if you magically teleported resources to everyone from wherever, there's simply not enough available raw material to maintain a high and equal living standard for literally everyone, and that's before we even consider the ecological impact it would have.

But sure, don't let me distract you from your shitty, anti-human, baseless, devastating utopism.

nice b8 m8

except that's not what OP specified

>For this purpose, "nobody has to worry about X" actually means it. There may be hoarders, but they do not make it troublesome for anyone else acquire these things.

Is that magic available naturally to all in equal measure and without cost? No? Welcome to greed.

Post scarcity society that frowns upon the NEETs and jobless would work

>How can you still have "poor/impoverished/needy people" in a setting with a high enough magic or tech level that nobody has to worry about acquiring food, water, shelter, or basic household tools? Think less "generic fantasy setting," think more "grand-scale setting with very high magic/tech level."

Does a wizard have to actually spend time casting the spells that create the food, or does the food appear for free from above as if God has granted a special miracle each day?

Because if a wizard has to spend time doing it, he's not going to do it over and over until everybody is fed unless he's getting paid.

There are starving people IRL despite the fact that IRL food supplies are higher than needed to feed everybody. They live on different continents than where the abundant food is, and nobody is going to waste valuable time and oil sailing the food to them only to have it rot in warehouses far from the starving people because there's no decent roads that'll carry it into the inland.

>For this purpose, "nobody has to worry about X" actually means it. There may be hoarders, but they do not make it troublesome for anyone else acquire these things.

>We need to reduce the surplus population by to about one billion, preferably half a billion to allow growth.

>We need to get rid of people so we can get more people

Consider kickstarting the process by necking yourself.

Magic capitalism

capitalism my guy

Watch the Black Mirror episode "fifteen million merits", then come back here.

name of the set? it has to be mindbreak abuse cg set, right?

>Magic capitalism
>capitalism my guy

...you mean the system that has made food so abundant and cheap the only people who can't get it are those who live in dystopic shitholes or spend their money on drugs?

Yeah, sure, that'll starve people.

In a society where everyone have the basics, the ones who only have the basics are the impoverished. They live, but that's it. Their lives are boring and they lack the ability to control their destiny, perhaps even the ability to control their own thoughts, as the world that provides them with everything also feeds them the ideas they think are their own through mass media and the like.

The princess in your storyline would be someone rich and/or powerful enough to, in some fashion, do things that the poor cannot. Maybe she owns one of the media companies, maybe she is a high-up in the Utopian Communist Party, or maybe she is an actual Magic Princess. Anyway, she has what the poor have not, despite them having more than real-world poor have.

this, people indebted so much they can't afford even magical goods/food

>...you mean the system despite of which technological progress has made food so abundant and cheap the only people who can't get it are those whom capitalism has forced in dystopic shitholes or spend their money on drugs?
FTFY

I'd imagine it's like saying "what kind of hobos would we have if everybody had access to literacy and basic education" the bar just moves up for most people and you still get unemployment. or "what kind of poor would we have if the minimum wage went up to $25 and everybody had guaranteed basic income as money is 'redistributed' away from the extremely rich and rigged to a drip feeder" to which the answer is mostly that prices just go up, same as if you just kept printing larger and larger bills. last generation's dime becomes this generation's penny, people switch to dollar coins and nothing much changes.

sure our poor people can read, which puts them a couple levels above medieval poor but theres loads of stuff they don't have

That's not how inflation works you dumb dumb.

infrastructure, and that sometimes those assholes shoot at you if you try?

From Infinity RPG, which is a near post-scarcity setting:

>Underclass: Although it’s become incredibly difficult for true poverty to exist, there are some people who slip through the cracks. (PanOceanians will talk about the tragic conditions of backcountry Ariadnans, but Yu Jing would be quick to point to the Ateks in PanOceania’s own backyard. Elsewhere there are minor nations and small habitats in places like Human Edge.)

so basically just time-traveling to 2008 and handing out condoms in nonwestern societies?

>to which the answer is mostly that prices just go up, same as if you just kept printing larger and larger bills. last generation's dime becomes this generation's penny, people switch to dollar coins and nothing much changes.
Bootlickers actually believe this nonsense

I wish my highschool had economics and homec classes instead of history and art :(

actually, make that literature analysis instead of history getting replaced. (we already had several years of english by that point, literature is far more niche for 90% of the students and history gets shafted enough already. another candidate is eliminating french, it's not comprehensive enough to be fluent and should have been taught younger anyway)

Look at what creates homelessness in America and other first world countries.

Lack of intelligence. Mental disorders. Substance abuse. Very, very bad choices.

Post-Sarcity people would still live like shit because

1. They just don't care. They're depressed as fuck and just don't care.

2. They're harming themselves because other people are able to thrive in the post-scarcity world while they aren't and this is their way of sticking it to the world. They'll complain about how the world is stale, how people have lost the spirit of adventure, etc and harm themselves because its their way of paying the world back.

3. They're doing it for the thrill. This is the post-scarcity version of camping. Think of people that love 20's Gangster films like Little Caesar all getting together to carry out a giant larp.

4. They're doing it for the philosophy. They're like stoics or jains or gnostics. Cultivating the external world is not as important as cultivating the internal for them.

Take your pick of how you want to do it.

That's basically what poverty is in the modern real world.

just make it an underclass of nonmages. social divide would only dramatically increase if a chunk of the population had reality warping powers and another chunk did not. even if the sorcerer masterrace take care of them as a whiteman's burden sort of deal theres quite a lot of things they lack that the mages couldn't simply give them even if they wanted to.

if you're a setting with wizards instead of sorcerers, education is just as much a bottleneck as college(and not those generic colleges that are starting to replace highschool in job requirements. an actually worthwhile degree)

>-large cult of aescetic monks who refuse to own anything and still beg to survive
>-anti-tech religion with sizable following or specific geographic area (amish)

it doesn't work with his concept of 'magical undercover princess helping the poor' if the poverty is by choice. same reason you can't point at people who don't bother to work because they only care about their next meal like some other annons said.(although, with magic theres likely quite a few jobs where people simply CAN'T work in order to buy luxuries because they got magic'd away. that's something else entirely and that could work. especially with infinite free food driving the unskilled peasant population growth)

as long as we don't look at the homeless, a good chunk of appalachia, inner cities, the entire 3rd world, chunks of the developing world, etc? (and also ignore things like denmark and japan's suicide rates)

Debt. The same system that western businessmen use IRL to enslave entire nations.

an oppressed class of genetic wizards forced to endlessly conjure food and who lack the time and freedom to ever do anything else?

how would you oppress a wizard? weight of numbers, restrictions on available spellbooks to study from, and purges of any who can write new spells.
probably not stable in the long term though, depending on how magic works in your setting and how powerful wizards can be. but maybe if all they can do is enchant objects or conjure food rather than the 'i shapechange into a dragon, fireball the continent and cast true wish' type of wizards. or maybe both kinds of magic exist but are exclusively granted to different people?

possibly forcing them into some kind of magic oath when they're too young to be dangerous?

No, that's what middle class life is in the real world.

wizards. smbc-comics.com/?id=2305. but they don't get a choice in the matter.

but without the part where they care to end dependence on superman

>conjure food
>Assume that food and water is handled by trivially-available versions of something like 3.X/Pathfinder's Ring of Sustenance or Starfinder's Clear Spindle Aeon Stones. Very, very trivially-available.

I'd disagree and assert that middle class people have higher agency and social mobility the lower class often lacks.

I can see why you'd make your point, considering how disparate the class divide is becoming in the West atm.

make magic rings. same thing

middle class is who has trivial access to food and kills themselves working for luxary items. lower class is the ones who kill themselves working for food.

What if they're factory made?

He's right, though. There's enough for everyone to have warm houses and warm food, but there isn't enough for everyone to live in an air-conditioned villa with two cars and white collar jobs.

Blue Mokou is cute

How cute.
My little user thinks that this board is his personal safe-space.

Not everyone is able to harness magic to that degree and those who can aren't inclined to use their years of training just to feed others when a random unskilled laborer can throw some seeds out and scratch the ground with a rake and get more or less the same result?

>How can you still have "poor/impoverished/needy people" in a setting with a high enough magic or tech level that nobody has to worry about acquiring food, water, shelter, or basic household tools? Think less "generic fantasy setting," think more "grand-scale setting with very high magic/tech level."
People who are lacking something in matters not just in the above.

Those lacking in emotion.

Those lacking in heat.

In life.

Something that affects particular individuals that cannot be instantaneously solved; for example good health may not be available to everyone.

In a post-scarcity society the needy people are junkies. Because even if the replicators can make narcan as easily as heroin, you need to have a sober person there to use the machine and inject the resulting narcan into the person ODing.

Why wouldn't they? They can just take all the magic for themselves and produce all the food while creating artificial scarcity, and force the proles to work/do pointless shit/degrade themselves/suck dick for it.

>magical fairy/space princess goes incognito to spend time with and help the poor
So have your space princess help with things which are more expensive than X. Maybe the local community is building a bigger schoolhouse or something.

I hate this kind of story telling because it simply falls apart under any sort of scrutiny, this is just plain lazy.

>Post-scarcity production exists but artificial scarcity is there to keep prices and profits up
>Dumb moral justification is that they “didn’t EARN it”
>they are from a country where foreign powers extract their resources for pennies on the dollar
Basically Capitalism irl my dude

This fails the basic premise, "free food/shelter/tools are available for everyone".

If it's not available for everyone then it's not the fucking setting any more, is it? It's some sort of darker alternative.