NPCs edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update-mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>Previously, on /5eg/:
Tell us about your favorite NPCs!

Give me your original character ideas

Give me short summary of the setting and campaign.

>tfw not outgoing enough to join a game

Elvish herbalist is goofing off making potions when you makes.... chemical X. After drinking it thinking it was a healing potion he gained an alter ego that was brutish, violent and an endless thirst for battle.

After a murder which he can never prove he or the creature didn't commit. So he must let the world go on thinking that he too is dead, until he can find a way to control the raging spirit that dwells within him.

Elvish Berserker barbarian

Crime Wizard, he doesn't actually cast spells and is just a Rogue with a couple of thugs that do his bidding. Fireball is a molotov cocktail, Magic Missile is the name of his crossbow, Unseen Servant is his friend Vinny and don't you fucking look at him he ain't here for you to be lookin at mind your own fuckin business ya mook.

Nothing is original, everything is a ripoff, rehash, remix or coincidentally similar to something you don't remember having seen or heard about.

Hexblade warlock who thinks they're a paladin.
Their patron manifests to them as a bright white weapon.
They pray to their patron and try and spread the good word.

Dwarf druid who believes his powers are an elven curse

My player rolled a natural 20 to convince a kobold that he was God. I know that critical successes aren't in the rules, but it was fun and there were enough ancillary reasons for it to work so I rolled with it.

Now Prophet Snakeyfoot is on his way back to the kobold mountain home to deliver the good Word.

That's my favorite npc.

>LE NATTY 20 XDXDXDXD

A Half Orc lived in his fathers tribe and trained him wrong as a joke, teaching him to read books and use magic. Embarassing himself in test of strength, he left after finding out he was just a joke. But he still believes that magic makes him powerful.

Haha, you got me good. Yep, le maymays man!

Seriously though, you should try it out sometime, it is super fun.

>XD LETS TELL HIM I'M LITERALLY GOD ECKSDEE

kek

From the last thread: What are some fun classes for birdbrains

>Being this butthurt that a hero managed to convince a fucking kobold of all things that they're a god in a world where there are gods fucking everywhere doing whatever the fuck

If you're charismatic enough you could easily do it on a 15 roll.

I've had a blast playing my kenku moon druid

Kobolds tend to worship things that are stronger then them. It made sense in the context of the story. The natty 20 was how I justified thing the kobold take a level in paladin though. ;*)

Warlock with an imp familiar. The imp helps you come up with things to say and is the true brains of the operation.

I'm playing a land druid in another game please don't bully, I just don't like Moon's mountains of HP and I'm looking for classes with big hype buttons. Rogue's boring because it's got no fancy moves that can change a situation around.

Drunken Master Monk who reaches level 10 and realizes that immunity to poison means that he can't get drunk, so he becomes an Alchemist seeking to develop the most magically potent alcohol known to man in order to once again get fucking shitfaced.

Yes but that usually means a dragon, not some pitiful human who could probably be overpowered by a couple handfulls of kobolds

a Rogue if you mean stats-wise.
The class mechanics are secondary, your character's story should be more important.
Like a kenku bard who was raised as a set-hand for Shakespearean plays and dreams of one day writing his own, but he can't create a made up story.
So he seeks adventure to record what he's seen and turn it into a play.

don't worry user, I also play a land druid, who is a dwarf, he is my baby and I love him dearly

Aarakocra monks are super solid. I would probably have fun doing a Beast Conclave ranger with some kind of bird or dinosaur companion.

Kenku make great rogues or rangers. A shadow monk Kenku might be cool.

>PCs decide to convince these commoners that they are god
>roll a nat20
>haha it "works"!
>they beg their god to go and kill the marauding orcs
>we are just peasants, we have but a trifling of coins!!
>they go and kill the orcs, receive reward and stay up
>as murderhobos they must go rob everyone at night
>you see two commoners drinking
>pp12
>they are laughing at how they just conned adventurers into killing nomadic orcs that were undercutting their goods
>laugh and laugh
>barbarian pipes up and calls them out
>slaughters everyone in the town

Actually hurt my players feelings

I just use the expanded backgrounds section in Xanathar's Guide to Everything. I can post the results of my current charater if you'd like

Moon druid isn't even fun in a min-maxing game. It's retarded game design.

I've never actually looked at the PHB monk archetypes, mostly due to people only bitching and moaning about four elements and nothing else about the class.
What does shadow monk got going for it?

Dude, now I want to play that. But I feel like I would need to memorize a bunch of plays so I could speak only in quoted dialogue.

You never tried to deceive someone to think you are incredibly strong and shouldn't mess with you? Like, kobold have 7 wisdom, their insight sucks.

>not understanding that kenkus would give their left testicle to fly
>not understanding that moon druid does that for them

A character's pride is worth 100x more than saving the world.

>Not understanding you can do that as a land druid

Your next line is "create food and water was a mistake"

>not understanding that at moon druid level 13 the fuckers can grow cosmetic wings and maybe even working ones if your DM is nice

Guys how would Putrid Blightkings from Age of Sigmar be statted in 5e? Planning on having a Not!Nurgle cult in of my future sessions. And the way Putrid Blightkings are like would fit perfectly as the bodyguards for the leader

>Aasimar Zealot barbarian
>spend a whole round powering up then slap some ass
>evocation wizard
>do literally anything
As for rogue you can play a small race like gnome or goblin, invest in acrobatics and use the "Alternative Action Options" on page 271-272 of the DMG. Mount any creature larger than you and repeatedly stab them with free sneak attacks and advantage. Maybe take some levels in fighter for the advanced critical even.

Shadow monk gets to cast darkness, darkvision, pass without trace, or silence for 2 ki points, which is way better than the spell like abilities four elements gets. At level 6 they can teleport between dim light or darkness they can see within 60 ft as a bonus action and they get advantage on their next attack when doing so. Which I just think is a really cool and flavorful ability.

Works best with a race that gets darkvision honestly, but black bird with shadow magic just seemed the best fit.

7 wisdom isn't retarded it may be below average but I'd like to see you try and convince a dull commoner that you were a god

casting darkness, silence, and pass without trace multiple times per short rest
teleporting in dim light
eventually, being invisible in dim light
in addition to being a monk (base monk is pretty good)

Kenku don't have to repeat the exact phrases they've heard. You could construct your own sentences but they'd probably have a lot of fancy words in them.
Worst comes to worst you can just make a short list of Shakespeare quotes to use when appropriate and keep them with your character sheet.

Yeah, so does Draconic Sorcerer, or 5 levels of Wizard, what's your point?

Wizened old wizard with a pointy hat and a love of treasure.

But these could be actual bird wings, not some shitty dragon wings or some arcane force

I dunno about chaos units because I'm a filthy ratboy, but Spore Druids make fucking excellent skavenlads, especially if you reflavor the zombies as Skavenslaves so you can cast the dreaded thirteenth.

Oh yes. I had a player that was new, he thought magic was rare, he was the only warlock, despite killing mages and getting possessed by a ghost..

>LMoP
>kill redcloaks who controlled phanadalin
>warlock goes around for weeks asking for handouts for saving the town
>he begins to get overcharged by a merchant, cant remember his name
>warlock has enough and argues for free health potions
>Merchant refuses and the warlock calls him names and walls out
>merchant calls him a loser
>inmediately fireballs the buildjng

There's nothing wrong with that at all. It's dungeons and dragons, what're the problem with bypassing something that nobody cares about?

>Not understanding that it's level 14
>Not understanding that you might as well just ask the DM for a magic flight item if you expect them to make 'alter self' the 'fly' spell
>Not understanding that you're better off worshipping a god who'll grant you flight at the higher levels, making a pact with a dragon that'll get you dragon wings at high sorcerer levels, etc and you can cast polymorph on yourself before then
There's no need to make up excuses to play one of the faggiest class archetypes.

I swear to the gods if the Ghey Druid poster found his way back in some one is gonna get their ass kicked

Describe their role and specialties in the game for those of us who dropped GW like the bad habit they are.

What wizard bullshit do people like to pull?
When an enemy can counterspell and I need to escape I cast minor illusion to break LoS then misty step away.

No you counterspell their counterspell

A ranger/fighter who specializes in dragon slaying. He doesn't hate them, he's just fascinated by them.
He also wants to marry a nice dragoness that lives near his home village

>Tell us about your favorite NPCs!

DM introduced this very chipper NPC.
Shes a middle aged lady, seems aloof but sharp.
She sends us on a quest to find a valuable trinket.
Quest was a bust but she pays saying we proved our skills.

Soon enough she becomes a regular client because she keeps her word and pays.
We plunder dungeons for her, steal paintings from houses and even clear out a mine for her.
Half the time we botch her quests, but she always pays and seems happy.
She's effectively a wealthy and eccentric collector who has ties to a thieves guild.
Our two rogues use her to get some notoriety in the thieves guild and find a fence to sell stolen goods.
However players keep saying that her chipper attitude seems suspect.

Party is about to meet with her for a quest.
Before meeting with her at a wealth inn, players vote to kill her.
Sadly all the party but myself voted to kill her.
I get neutralized by spells and tied up.
They meet her, cast hold person on her and kill her. DM plays it straight.
Players all agree it had to be done as she was going to turn out evil as no one could be that happy.
DM looks kind of sad.

I've never had such a chipper NPC who enjoyed their job before.
This one always wanted to collect artifacts and struck me as a retired thief who was way more suited to business.

God damn murderhobos, makes me sick

That only works if you dimension door though, you can't counterspell if you misty step because of the bonus action spell rules.

Druids are fine
shapeshifting druids are not
especially with memeHP stacking focus

Show me on the doll where the moon druid touched you

Well than dimension door
What are some pussy scared of wasting slots

Putrid Blightkings are favoured warriros of Nurgle that are blessed with decay and rust. The form the bulwark of the Maggotkin armies where the attack most enemies like a battering ram of sheer bulk and strenght

Or a group of pcs that just killed 20 kobolds including the next in line for the kobold throne by using divine and radiant magics.

They'll serve you but what reason would they have to think you're a god, maybe if they were all dragonborns

Oh fuck this. I am not posting with nu "select 20 cars 20 times" captcha. This is my last shitpost. Veeky Forums is kill.

How should I do maps for my game?
I want to run the MoP adventure with minis and all that, but how do I go about getting a map?
Should I buy one or just print a big one off at some store?
What's the optimal thing to do here?

I just really like minor illusion.
Also I just came up with random crap to see if my post would go through.

>DC for "almost impossible" task is 30
>bard 5 with 18 cha and expertise in deception gets +10
>add to the rolled 20 for exactly 30
>be level 6 with precasted guidance for an extra +d4 and enhanced ability just in case
Difficult? Of course, but it's not impossible

Pay up and you'll never have to do a captcha again
20 dollars in the pooper with a timestamp is the ritual

>"She's suspicious
>"Ok, should we try and investigate her?"
>"nah"
>"Ok, should we try and confront her?"
>"nah"
>"Ok should we attack and interrogate her?"
>"nah"
>"Ok should we just fucking kill her and neither confirm nor deny our suspicions and get absolutely nothing out of our decision?"
>"YES"

What kind of fucking retards are you playing with.
If I was the DM I would've considered metagaming these assholes and having her go into hiding, citing her spies picked up on their intentions.

>cast speak with dead.

>Captcha is becoming impossible to get past
>Only way around is to pay $20
We were afraid of becoming Reddit, but instead became Something Awful

This
Adventurers can achieve 'almost impossible' levels of tasks such as convincing someone they're a god. Of course, a -1 charisma guy with a nat 20 isn't going ot achieve it.

Wrong, read the book user

If the deceased person is under no compel to answer truthfully if the caster is its enemy.

Are half-elf bards overdone?

>Steal shit, plunder shit and all that in the name of greed
>Eccentric person helps you in your task, she's not quite as bad as you lot but she trusts you and mostly she's just getting paintings and aesthetical things out of this
>One day, evil party realizes something. 'Hey, she MIGHT be evil. Evil is bad. Let's kill her.'
>And they kill her
Abandon your fucking party. Your character does not belong there anymore. They're all idiots and your character just got fucking tied up by these homocidal maniacs.

Misty step is a bonus action, meaning you can't cast other spells which aren't cantrips on your turn.
Counterspell is not a cantrip.

Just throw a cloak inbetween you and enemy caster so they can't see you and cast the spell. Ready it as an action if you need to target them.

Counterspell is some real weak ass shit.

Zone of truth

Lost the picture because of Veeky Forums shitting itself.

Does Zone of Truth "stacks" with Speak with Dead?

Why the fuck didn't these grognards zone of truth her in the first place?

Off hand attack being restricted to after an attack action suck.

It not necrophilia if she is alive.

>Being chipper and happy = evil
>Not the fact she had you rob people

That's some high level edge.

You guys obviously weren't playing heroes but she's white-collar evil. She even paid after botched quests. Talk about killing the golden goose.

Props to DM for not metagaming. But I hope her contacts hunt the party down.

Can't you take off-hand attack before the main-hand attacks? I mean, you still need to declare Attack action, but you don't need to use off-hand attack after it.

Do you guys use sounds and music as a DM?

If you make your off-hand attack first it just becomes your main-hand attack, because the requisites for main-hand and off-hand with TWF are exactly the same.

I would go with high HP, moderate AC. Lowered movement speed (like 20 or 25) but with some leader figure buffing them up to speed and/or ignoring difficult terrain. Resistance to poison, acid and probably necrotic too, or immunity if they're in a high level game. Definitely immune to disease. Massive con, decent strength saves.

Nurgle is a lot about regeneration/rebirth/stagnation and toughness so im thinking either give them all reactions to reduce incoming damage from mundane weapons and/or splash acid/poison/cause disease when hit and try to favor this over attacks of opportunity and other reactions to give them a slow and tanky feel. This might be combined with a healing action either done by their lead or perhaps weaker versions for the individuals. The amount caused here and how many uses of this shit they have depends again on the level you intend to drop them in at.

Offensively give them few attacks, perhaps just one each, with high accuracy and basic mundane damage enhanced by acid or necrotic and/or status effects from disease or poison.

I'd have them introduced as a lone one with some lesser goons like vermin and cultists before dropping a small group (equal to or less in size to the party perhaps or with canon fodder to even the action economy) later on as a boss fight with the leader buffing them with speed and perhaps healing.

To clarify, when i say high HP i mean hardy enough that they can take some hits, but not so big they are a multi round focus target individually. Enough to make them meaty targets but not so high you cant put several on the field at the same time. Trick with AC is to make it risky but worthwhile to power attack if you use feats. With their movement i'd try to keep them playing to their strengths so the players would either have a hard time kiting them on the cult's chosen battlegrounds or need a good plan to drag them into more favorable terrain. Base the numbers on party outputs and level appropriate monsters.

Tyronal Jaxxun
Black dragonborn rogue thief.
Criminal background.
Reflavor thieves can't as ebonics.

Thanks for all the help

>If you make your off-hand attack first it just becomes your main-hand attack
>because the requisites for main-hand and off-hand with TWF are exactly the same.
I fail to understand your reasoning. Why would 1 => 2?

Have fun reading through my spell list

Unfortunately not. Speak with Dead only grants a corpse the "semblance of life;" it does not reanimate the corpse as a creature. Zone of truth only affects creatures.

Depends on the group, some people will be distracted others will be immersed.

Personally i used to have multiple lists i hot switched between as we played, but these days i generally go with one huge, generally appropriate playlist on shuffle. Sure you get some odd things at the wrong time but you get about as much great timed music cues as well. Most of the time people remember when it works and don't pay too much attention when it fails.

How specific the list is depends on the game's themes. I have a massive "Fantasy" list and a smaller darker, creepier list for my tenser dungeon crawls or horror/occult games where the wrong kind of epic hero music or tavern song might actually do damage to the mood.

My Bard has just hit 9th and I'm planning to take Animate Object. Now, I also took Tiny Servant with his Magical Secrets.

How should I try to do movement/handling of the objects?

Because manually doing 15 attacks on a creature, AND handling space issues (manually moving 15 little dice/tokens on the board), AND not having the DM throw a book at me for slowing down combat seems difficult.

I expect you to clean your desk by monday.

You could stat it as a swarm.

I personally think ambient soundeffects and an OST (should be quiet enough so the players can still clearly communicate with each other and the DM) makes over 50% of the atmosphere. A good DM will be able to descriptively set a scene and put the image into his player's head but music and sounds complete the picture in a way that is unbelievably satisfying.

>so many responses are "are you implying that women can't like rules complexity and lore density?"
>also a lot of responses of, "it sucks if this happens, but I haven't seen it anywhere recently"
>even the SJWs aren't sticking up for him

It's almost like people can recognise when someone has no actual interest in what he's saying beyond 'This is what marketing says I should support'. Mearls is and always has been a corporate whore first and foremost.