Playing low fantasy gritty campaign

>Playing low fantasy gritty campaign
>No magic
>Political intrigue and small unit tactics
>Occasional fighting with lengthy healing interludes
Then the DM suddenly springs a goddamn demon on us. Fucking why do people think this is clever?

Other urls found in this thread:

immortalpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Immortalpedia_Wikia
immortalpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ab_human
immortalpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ashed
immortalpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Broken_Kingdoms
immortalpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Goran
immortalpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Coldwater_Swamps
immortalpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Aberrant
immortalpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Mesquaki
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Were you expecting to play "low fantasy" without anything fantastic?

Shameless self bump
but seriously keep the theme of the campaign damnit

>Wanting low fantasy without the fantasy.

Good. Stay disappointed.

Its a lazy fucking way to raise the stakes
>ooooh you "foreshadowed" this by us finding a bunch of voodoo shit in the woods and rambling homeless wanderers an war refugees talking about creatures in the woods
We are fighting a war campaign, not a spooky mystery house campaign

Because it is, at least assuming the execution is good

>No magic
>Demons are okay

What a fucking hack.

you are just like the other slack jawed players getting all giddy over the supernatural
Why do these stories always have to devolve into fantasy schlock?

>No magic
Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

>We are fighting a war campaign, not a spooky mystery house campaign
What does this have to do with anything? Why does one preclude demons while the other does not? Why the fuck are you getting upset at a fantasy setting no including what you've described as the singular first fantastic element in the setting when this is evidently what you want?

OP here, DM doesn't allow players to do magic. We ran into a witch NPC that supposedly could and I had her executed.
because seriously fuck that shit.

OP stated the campaign was fantasy.

>fantasy schlock
>single demon
Oh, you're fucking retarded and playing in the wrong campaign.

Have you tried not playing fantasy?

I like medieval/renaissance war campaigns

I asked him if there was magic and he said very little
Then an actual fucking demon just ambles out of the woods after we interrupt a fucking witch circle.
Not to mention the giant fucking boars the enemy is riding.
>HURRR its called selective breeding user! they've been breeding up boar size for hundreds of years! HURRR. Its okay because they aren't as fast as horses HURRR in real life there are already boar that weigh over 1000lbs HURR
fucking god damnit he just wanted armored boar cavalry

LOW magic implies seers or stuff like greek stories

that is the dumbest shit I have ever heard
you just wanted to sound "mystical" without actually meaning anything didn't you?

There were all sorts of crazy things in greek stories user. Three headed serpents, horny invisible gods, men making sculptures that come alive.

Give me one good example

>LOW magic implies seers or stuff like greek stories
Chimera. Manticore. The Nemean lion. THE FUCKING LERANEAN HYDRA.

Fuck you, crybaby.

If there are demons in the setting then why doesn't one or the other army have demons on their side in battle? Why doesn't one side just have demonic tigers or elephant-men or something?

Then he's all like
>HURRR the enemy raider carries a sword made out of a black blue metal!!111!!!
>HURR its a tungsten alloy sword!!111 totally not a stand in for enchanted gear!!111!!
And there was a bounty on retrieving it, totally not a standard (Kill monster fetch item) quest for a reward (sarcasm mode)

There are, sort of.
One faction has bred up war beasts released into battle that they can control with extracted pheromones and handlers. War lions, long legged alligators
>TOTALLY NOT MAGIC GUIZZEE!!11
fucking really, he just wanted one faction to have "monsters"
Anyway they wreak havoc on troop morale (because men would be scared of a big dogs rather than armored soldiers) fucking hell

The rhino ones are cheatery as all hell against phalaxes
>HURR phalaxes are good but not against everything!!111
DM just hates phalanxes so he gave the other side the rhino beasts as a way of breaking them.

The actual "demons" (hardly a fucking difference) are apparently impossible to control and most people don't even believe they exist.

DM is running someone's BS homebrew setting

If this is a big deal what level of fantasy are you actually ok with? It is low fantasy right, so that means there's going to be some level of fantasy going on. Or do you take low fantasy to just mean fictional instead of a historical setting?

>Or do you take low fantasy to just mean fictional instead of a historical setting?
Yes.
I'll tolerate religious visions and oracles but thats about it

Then user, I think you're the one at fault here for having a serious misunderstanding about what "low fantasy" means. In a low fantasy setting the elves might live grimy, dirty lives just like the human peasants, constantly dealing with the struggle of putting food on the table and surviving disease, but they're still gonna be elves.

And here we have a tried-and-true example of "OP Is A Massive Cumguzzling Faggot And This Entire Thread Exists To Only Give Him Validation For His Petulant Tantrum-Throwing BS". Anyway, this is now a Berserk Thread. Post Apostles.

Anyone else in here just listening to OP bitch about this setting and getting ideas?

Yep.

I'm kind of into it to be honest. Make the demons a semi-sentient beast race with abilities outside of human understanding so it looks like "magic", could easily fall under low fantasy.

I don't know about that
Elves can still be long lived agile humanoids that have their shit together in a low fantasy.
Its just they will have superior craftsmanship or medicine, or genetics.

A little bit of that, yes. I'm also here to co-op this shit thread and at the very least, make it somewhat appealing and less cancerous.

Are you just literally stealth threading Berserk?

Because I got some bad news about your parties Warlord

Ok, your DM should have been more specific about what his setting actually is: Low-magic fantasy setting.
>Magic exists but it's rare, takes a long time to cast and requires several people performing rituals with various ingredients and sacrifices
>Players are not supposed to play spellcasters

There. Now he can justify whatever monster or magical gear he wants without having fireball-shooting wizards around.

Oh sure they could be stylized anyway that doesn't rely heavily on magic and mysticism. I'm just saying that a low fantasy setting does not mean that including elves would be ridiculous. OP just doesn't understand what low fantasy is.

OP here again and fuck you, you don't know what Im dealing with
DM is a huge shill for Robert E Howard
The demon we ran into got its arm torn off and ran away. Later it was seen with its arm grown back. And the fucking arm that we chopped off is still twitching.

We had to lock the arm up in a crate and whoever guards it gets nightmares and suicidal tendencies

Only heretics and blasphemers know such faggotry.

OP here, isn't berserk some weeb animu shit?

I honestly would love to play in this campaign

>We had to lock the arm up in a crate and whoever guards it gets nightmares and suicidal tendencies
Soooooooooooooooo, exactly how a demon should be portrayed then? Honestly, OP, with each post you make it just becomes more and more evident that you're a huge cocksucker throwing a whiny tantrum because "NOTMYSETTINGREEEEEEEEEEEE". Thnak god you used a Berserk page as your OP-image, though. It atleast makes your shit thread somewhat salvageable.

>muh DM bamboozled us into the wrong setting
>muh low fantasy is no fantasy
>DM is shit because I am upset
>Posts pics from one of the best execution of the very concept he bitches about.
Do you realize not a single thing you've done on this zapotec battle-royale basketball discussion board makes us want to agree with you?

Berserk is high fantasy now f a m

Tbh after the boat arc I'd argue mythic but like what do I know

It's another "Player passively aggressively makes a Veeky Forums thread because he's too beta to confront his GM" episode!

The "fantasy" in "low fantasy" is - get this - playing in a different world than this one. That's it. You don't need demons and magic and shit for that.

>Playing low fantasy gritty campaign

>user plays codeword for Warhammer
>Is surprised when Fantastical themes appear

Tell me user, is the world Human only?

You are perfectly free to run your low fantasy game like that if that's what gets you hard.

immortalpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Immortalpedia_Wikia
Well fucking damn you people then. Here, if you wanna suck his cock go ahead. Loser and his friends wrote up a wiki on the homebrew.
>oooh look at me I can type shit!
god get a life you fucking loser, no one cares. Just play out of the books. Everything you could possibly think is a "neat or original idea" has already been done to death.

It's kinda in that sweet-spot between pure high fantasy, and normal-ish low fantasy stuff, I feel. Sure, there's cosmic horrors roaming about and Magic is literally in the air, but there's also a fair amount of 'normal' folk about too, all of whom are trying to endure the nightmares they face.

This has to be an act.

This is a caricature of the 'muh realistic setting' guy.

>It's an "OP gets called out on his faggotry, so he starts flipping out" Episode!
Go suck a thousand more dicks, why don't you?

>Human only?
Sort of?
DM thinks he's being "clever" by having several distinct strains of humans
>HURR if i don't call them races everyone will think I am being cool and different!
>elder scrolzzz!!11!!! lol
The people we are currently fighting are these short fuckers with grey to black pigment
>lol still human just a different color lolololol
>HURR they live in fortified cities and are very industrial
we get it they are dwarves you dumbass

god damn hes an idiot
Here. look at this bullshit
immortalpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ab_human
immortalpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ashed

You seem upset about things that aren't really that big of a deal. Have a cute pupper to calm you down

considering that he posted with a berserk picture, what is essentially the plot leadig up to Zodd, then act like he'd never heard of it when the thread derailed, I'm pretty sure he's trolling
Me using mythic fantasy is probably just being pedantic, but the scale of magic is definitely high fantasy. At least, the purpose of the fantasia arc was to change the tone and scale of the narrative from low gritty fantasy to high fantasy bloody orgy.

>This is all an elaborate ruse to convince someone to read his wiki

The setting sounds pretty shit, op does need to calm down though

nice b8 m8. You had me until this post. Nice setting though

>Me using mythic fantasy is probably just being pedantic, but the scale of magic is definitely high fantasy. At least, the purpose of the fantasia arc was to change the tone and scale of the narrative from low gritty fantasy to high fantasy bloody orgy.
Yeah, I actually felt that Fantasia was a great twist, all said. It was all designed to make things fucking crazy without making it all seem like a titanic asspull, and it pulled that off masterfully.

THEN WE POST MORE BERSERK!!!

>The setting sounds pretty shit,
immortalpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Broken_Kingdoms
FUCKING THANK YOU! something i've been saying! look at this shit, his attempt at "Comedy"
>LOLOLOL ITS A KNIGHTLY FACTION but DIFFERENT!!11
>lol Im so clever!!!
>lol paladins but not really guize!!!

Positive and friendly discussion with a stranger on the internet? However could this be?!??
Oh man.. one of my friends is a Griffith apologist and he triggers me so fucking hard

>elder scrollz
Now I know you’re trolling. What’s the point of this act if you give it away so easily

That reminds me, since we're on the Topic of Berserk, what system would you guys use for it? Call of Cthulhu modified for a medieval setting? D&D with sanity rules? FATE? FATAL?!

Dude, enjoy this game. It actually sounds really cool.

It sounds like you're complaining about a game that's sorta ASOIAF or LotR. Magic exists, but it's just not available for PCs.

Just enjoy the goddamn game, or leave it.

Oh dear lord....
FATAL might actually work...

>Societal Ranks
The Truest King
Royals - The King or Queen of one of the twelve Stone Kingdoms
Royal Heirs - Must hold at least a position of Knighted Rider
High Knights -
High Heirs - Must hold at least a position of Low Knight
Low Knights -
Low Heirs - Must hold at least a position of Knighted Rider
Knighted Riders -
Armored Riders -
Grand-Master Craftsmen -
Master Craftsmen -
Journeymen Craftsmen, Farmers, Businessmen
Squires, Apprentices -
Unskilled Laborers, Foreigners
Cowards - Tattooed, dehaired, and treated as animals

>Comedy

My thoughts exactly

I guess in the end, it would really come down to what really matters to you and the actions you take to get there. What Griffith did was beyond monstrous. But then, he was in a dark place, mentally and emotionally, when the Behelit activated. What else could we really expect?

>Oh man.. one of my friends is a Griffith apologist and he triggers me so fucking hard
You need to kill that fucking "friend", then. NOBODY should still be capable of defending Griffith after all the shit he's done.

>"Oh no! How dare someone try to do something original!"

Griffith did nothing wrong
all of his soldiers would have died anyway, it was the only way their deaths would mean anything.

Oh god/s, what have I done?!

I mean, "mostly realistic medieval setting then suddenly demons" is basically just Berserk.

I'm just thinking of how neat it could be to be a setting where everything is realistic and then a big goat demon appears out of nowhere and seeing how shit falls apart because it's a fucking demon.

This thread is basically a gold mine!

Considering the nature of the setting, FATAL is probably the only one that would truly work. In Berserk, God exists, and it hates you.

>Look at the main page
>Game takes place on the planet "Soi"

What an incredibly elaborate ruse Op is having

>Just berserk
I wish he just ripped off a dumbass weeb show
Some idiot wrote in an entire faction of genetically engineered caste system run society
immortalpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Goran
Dumbass
>oooh look at me I red "Brave new world" and now I want to apply it to a fantasy setting
>(cock sucking noises)
seriously he needs to fucking stop, all his buddies need to stop. its embarassing, everyone hates it

I mean... If we just cull most of the side races it's half way there.

Not true. The Idea of Evil doens't hate people, it's a conceptual god borne of man's dark impulses and emotions, it doesn't hate just like a fire ant doens't hate when it bites, it's just running on it's programming, and for TIoE, it's programming is to fill the world with evil shit.

Don't knock it if it works

That has terrible, terrible implications with what happened to Casca. Oh Emperor...

>FATAL is probably the only one that would truly work. In Berserk, God exists, and it hates you.
If you are playing FATAL, got abandoned you long ago

I think he wanted semi-historical fiction instead of low fantasy, but I see your point.

Well sure, the Idea Of Evil doesn't -Hate- exactly, but it's made pretty clear from it's response to its servants ("Do As Thou Wilt") that it doesn't give a flying fuck about what happens as a result of either their or it's own actions. Also, given that Miura removed it from the story due to major spoilers, its exact origins and nature could have likely changed by now.

Aside from the demon and the giant boars it's pretty realistic.

Are you the only one not enjoying the game? Because if you are that guy.

Anyway, since you are certainly user fishing for setting critique like a FUCKING PUSSY BITCH, I'll tell you, the wiki makes it seem OK but not amazing, cut back on the cliches and the 'jokes'

It cant be that hard to hack fatal into something passable... right?

He made an entire setting to troll Veeky Forums by whining about said setting?

Give him a commendation for original thinking, I guess, that's honestly incredible and I am impressed. Veeky Forums gets shit done, even when the shit they're doing is stupid and pointless

Everyone else is just an easily impressed manchild or thirsty bitch fake geek looking for male attention
Why can't my DM just use the normal settings?

the wiki has weather patterns mapped out, not sure if this was all entirely a troll

>Howard
Nothing wrong with that.
If you joined a game with a guy who has professed a like for Howerdian-style Heroic Fantasy then perhaps it’s your fault for completely failing to predict the utterly obvious.

I mean, you'd be replacing everything. FATAL is mocked for being the too-racist-even-for-pol rape simulator, but it's also got truly insane crunch. FATAL is a game that has all your stats be completely random even when it leads to clearly stupid situations (like being the world's greatest orator while also not speaking any languages), lets a cleave attack hit you in the penis and the ovaries at the same time, and at one point needs a 1d10000000 pregnancy roll to determine if you had quintuplets.

It'd be easier to houserule Fiasco into a Berserk game than it would be with FATAL

>the sheer density of inane buzzwords
You're trying too hard.

>thirsty bitch fake geek looking for male attention
Wait, what?

Is the fake story involving a girl now too?

Bitch they got biomes and cultures, I think OP is trying to ruse us into reading his wiki.
And it is sort of working
immortalpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Coldwater_Swamps

Found the demon page
immortalpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Aberrant

This wiki is too detailed to not be someone's autism

Some of the puns make me cringe though

I'd play the fuck out of a Berserk Fiasco play set.

All geek girls are fake geek girls
Goddamn some of them even helped write his faggy little setting
immortalpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Mesquaki

here, read this shit
>oooh look at me boys I'm such a geek i can write fantasy setting schlock 'giggle'
what a cunt
I could write better stuff but I have better stuff to do with my time

It sounds like you are so mad that you should just quit. There's no reason to stay in a game that makes you frustrated enough to come here and complain about it.

I'm surprised that nobody has brought up Darklands yet. It pulled the whole "Just normal people in Medieval Germany, oh wait, you just literally got jumped by satan" thing ages ago.