Why isn't confidence rewarded in role-playing games?

Why isn't confidence rewarded in role-playing games?

Could you give some specific examples of situations in RPGs where confidence should be rewarded but isn't?

Roleplaying games are played in a social context so of course it's rewarded.

If you're getting shit it's because you're not being confident you're just being an asshole.

Aspects of it are represented by a Charisma stat, or its equivalent.

Because confidence without the skill to back it up is foolishness.

So much of this.

Confidence is earned.

Being an asshole is when you haven't earned it.

I’m a beta sperg in real life, at least rpg’s let me succeed without having to be a Chad. Why do you want to make me suffer there, too? Fuck you.

How is it not rewarded? How do you think it should be rewarded?

answering because it COULD becomea godd thread.

I would saym because a lot of DMs go for Roll-Playing instead of Role-Playing. And when you do that you give your Character 20+ Charisma (or the mechanical equivalent) and boom. Good at all the social-roles. Doesn't matter if you can barely talk in real-life.
By the way, Charisma determines your force of personality, which IS your confidence.
Which makes the dump statet Fighter or Barbarian hilarious because strictly speaking, with his Charisma of 6 or something like that, he has no confidence in his own abilitys. Which he should have, considering that his physical performance is beyond most things a mortal can archieve.

IF your DM - like mine does - sets the focus heavily on Role-Play, Confidence is what gets your Character a lot of things (Not only but also females). Its impressive to walk up to the arch-Mage and tell him he can go fuck himself if he thinks he can fuck around with you and your friends again.

BUT of course, some DMs don'Ät taker kindly to be spoken to like this (maybe they have a power-fetish, maybe they can't distinguish between IC and OC) nonetheless said DMs would just say, "well the arch-Mage cats a spell. Do a will-save (which you can't make because I plan not to)" and then your his Bitch...

damn... I hate my keyboard...

Because every time you reward roleplayers the sweaty neckbeard autismos rattle their tits about MUH SHELL.

>maybe they have a power-fetish, maybe they can't distinguish between IC and OC
or because the Archmage doesn't take kindly to disrespect and actions should have consequences?

Confidence only works if you can back it up.

yes of course, but maybe the arch-mage is genuinly impressed by the backbone of the fighter and lets it pass. Depends, of course, I know that. But the Personality of the NPC should decide not the wrath of the DM. And i have seen both thing happen. To my own character... almost died that one time...

BUT: even if actions have consequences, those consequences should be within the limits of the offense. Which was not was i was talking about.

Or it's as much that most games understand that the ability of the character can outstrip that of the player, and doesn't meta punish the player for not being their character?

>but maybe the arch-mage is genuinly impressed by the backbone of the fighter and lets it pass
so the sort of thing that might be determined by a charisma check?

Or maybe they aren't impressed by assholes?
And you are expecting archmages to have a sense of limits and restraint?
You are desperately trying to buttress a failing position.

Yes. That is the case in the first kind of Games I have talked about here Thats why it is so important to check if the game the DM wants to play and the Game the group wants to play are the same thing.

If you have 5 players, and 2 are heavily into Role-Playing with deep personalitys (maybe they have a background as actors or something like that)and the other 3 (+ the DM) want to play a Roll-Heavy Dungeon crawl with things like:

"I ask the bartender for informations"

instead of

"Hello there, friend. I know that this must feel a little clishee to you but since all kinds of people go ind and out in your establishment... mind telling me about the Black-Hood Guild? Theres coin in it for you, too"

then the forst wto players will be disappointed and, in the best scenario, leave the Game.
Vice versa, in a Roleplay-Heavy Game the two Dungeon-Crawl-MinMaxers will be unhappy because they are not used to talking as their character and want to kill some Goblins or something like that.

Comunication between the Group and the Dm and, maybe even more importantly between the Group itself, is key to a succesfull Role-Playing Weekend/Sunday etc.

As I said the Arch-Mage example wasn't the best.
Take a thief who's harrasing the party. Maybe he thinks because he is part of a Guild they can't do nothing when he is smug about how he stole all of their cool things.

Just because someone has Power, he should not be able to do as he pleases with the party. Because the Dragon they slew last week also was powerfull but roleplaying is about facing challenges and dealing with them succesfully.

>implying it isn't

In our current GURPS campaign, our party once won a tense standoff against a fort full of soldiers (we'd been lured into a trap) through confidence sheer.
As soon as it became clear that it was a trap, everyone pulled out their muskets/bow/sword/magic and started aiming at the defenders, who were all aiming at us (with their crossbows, muskets, etc.). We stared them down and made it clear that we would not die without taking many of them down with us, and implicitly asked the soldiers we were aiming at if they really wanted to die there and then.
After a few tense seconds, they surrendered to us, despite outnumbering us 2:1 or 3:1.

(It helped that their commander was pretty sleazy and was selling out to the Elves, and that we were technically still part of the army.)

Now THAT is a good example of confidence. I like it.

>Just because someone has Power, he should not be able to do as he pleases with the party
and just because the party are PCs, they should not be able to do as they please with the NPCs

Because confidence in the real world works by taking risks and coming on top of it because you just know you're good enough for it.
In games you're playing a fucking game, there's nothing stopping me to do the most dumb shit ever and luck out because there are no consequences.

It is. The more confident players are almost always the ones who dominate the gameplay and story.

>The more confident players are almost always the ones who dominate the gameplay and story.

And that's when the ball gag comes out.

Thats not what I said.
But it should also ot be the other way around.
The Party is neither the DMs or NPCs plaything.

I can only second this.
My Group has a mix of very outgoing and very quiet players (me being a mic of the two, more leaning to outgoing) and one of the first group is almost always the one who is the "Leader", even if he does not like it to be that way.
I know, because he told me, that he wants me to do itm´instead of him, but my performance is to dependant on my mood to be a eliable force of Leadership.

Overshadowed by overconfidence.